rllmuk
Popo

Here's to Louis Theroux!

On 18/07/2019 at 08:37, Gotters said:

I feel weird weekends would still work brilliantly he doesn’t seem to want to return to that genre.  

He should go back to talking to UFO people. 

On 03/10/2019 at 17:43, Kingpin said:

Is the new book any good?

To answer my own question, I'm now halfway through the book and it's excellent. Already far more satisfying and comprehensive than Call of the Weird - would highly recommend to followers of this thread. 

• Upvote 1

The book is very good, but he comes across as being very defensive and continually trying to justify himself (i.e. stressing that his persona on TV isn’t faux-naïve, and isn’t an act). There’s one bit in particular in his Scientology film that made me quite cross when I watched it, and pretty much ruined the film for me, and he refers to it in his book. It’s the bit where Marty Rathburn, the Scientology apostate who has quite a fractious relationship with Louis, is being harassed with extremely personal abuse by some agents of Scientology, and he’s clearly very upset by this. Rather than sympathising with him, Louis decides that this is the best time to challenge Marty on some of the bad things he did in his time in Scientology, and then sits back with his arms folded and a smug grin on his face, while Marty blows his top, quite visibly thinking “this is good material”.

In the book, Louis says something like “I’ve weighed this up in my mind ever since, wondering whether I did the right thing” and it was all I could do to shout “of course it wasn’t the right thing to do, you’re deliberately hurting someone in a vulnerable emotional state so that you can give your slightly disappointing film an ending”. It came across as such a mercenary thing to do that it completely overpowered any broader point the film was trying to make.

It’s still a great book for all that, and the tension between how he wants to come across and how he actually comes across in places probably makes it even more interesting. It’s hilariously funny, and full of amazing stories.

• Upvote 3

facebook post on the new episode

"New documentary coming this Sunday on BBC2 in the UK! Selling Sex follows three women who are part of the new sexual economy - Ashleigh, Caroline, and Victoria. They use social media and an industry website to sell sexual services and intimacy. The online technology allows them to review customers and customers to review them, much like Uber, Airbnb, Yelp, Ebay, etc. It's rather surreal - users claim it makes the act of Selling Sex safer I don't have a clip to show you, I can't find one online. So for now I'll just say: it was one of the most rewarding, challenging and thought-provoking films I've ever been involved in... the pressure to the editorial line right was immense. But I'm very glad we made it."

It's great timing for me, nearing the end of his book. I went with the audiobook, one of the oddest parts of that is that Louis does impersonations of his subjects. He's quite good at doing all these different voices! I've not got to the part that K mentions above but I have been surprised with just how skeptical Louis has been about his work (I'm currently up to Michael Jackson's father interview episode) and how unfulfilled he felt. 

I have a few friends who are sex workers and each one of them is a pretty impressive master of their own destiny with incredible business acumen. Including the girl I have an unhealthy fascination with due to he being the most intelligent person I think I've ever met.

On 11/01/2020 at 13:52, Capwn said:

It's great timing for me, nearing the end of his book. I went with the audiobook, one of the oddest parts of that is that Louis does impersonations of his subjects.

I'll bet he does a great Jimmy Saville.

37 minutes ago, Hanzo the Razor said:

I'll bet he does a great Jimmy Saville.

He does actually

18 hours ago, kerraig UK said:

I have a few friends who are sex workers and each one of them is a pretty impressive master of their own destiny with incredible business acumen. Including the girl I have an unhealthy fascination with due to he being the most intelligent person I think I've ever met.

Are you in the show? You should be on the show, you could be the new 

ETxVKw.gif

I did like the bit where he and that chap had retired to the pub while his Mrs was at home taking a good pounding from some random. Just complete silence in absolute awe of the awkwardness of the situation.

just watched this on iPlayer and much of it is really interesting, I continue to find Louis the problem though and can't help but think the same thing would be better with somebody else fronting it. 

the exchange with the young girl and her friends is a good example of what I mean

Louis - so you're going to charge a friend to have sex with you on his birthday, isn't that complicated

girl - no, why do you say that

Louis - oh I don't know

he dances around the points he wants to make hoping they pick up and continue his thoughts as he doesn't want to take the position or say it himself, then on the rare occasion he's challenged just skulks back and doesn't carry thru what he means, which is usually quite obvious.