Jump to content

Here's to Louis Theroux!


Popo
 Share

Recommended Posts

Watching an oldie "law and disorder in johannesburg". Holy shit what a messed up place, then(10 years ago?) dunno about now. The township area where people were set on fire or beaten to death with bricks on somebodies word of a crime was unreal. But the "Bad Boyz" rent-a-cops where almost as bad, booting a subdued guy in the face then pepper spray an in h from his eyes, and then their own team by accident was disgusting. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Re-the Florida Hip-hop episode. And this isn't just targeted at rappers, but alot of musicians when asked the meaning of their lyrics and they just repeat the words back but in a slightly different order with a few "like"'s and "y'know"'s thrown in. That always makes me laugh.

 

But the hip-hop stuff is nothing new, is it really? It's the same stuff that NWA were rapping about and the same "diss tracks" that perpetuated the most popular stuff of the 90s? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

I really liked his podcast series, particularly the ones with FKA Twigs, where I thought he did a really good, sensitive, job of letting her explain what it's like to be in an abusive relationship, or the one with KSI, where he got him to discuss some of the more unpleasant aspects of his material without coming across as too judgmental. I cannot stand KSI and was very reluctant to listen to it, but I thought the podcast was excellent - I can't say I like the guy, but his background and rise to fame are undeniably quite interesting, and I think I understand him a bit better now. The one he did with Justin Theroux was great as well, like an Adam Buxton-style rambly chat between two cousins who are obviously great pals.

 

I think he's really good at that stuff, even if he clearly has desires to tackle what he sees as more important subjects. Someone like Stormzy, who is charismatic and really smart but is probably also misunderstood, would be perfect for Louis' approach.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, K said:

I really liked his podcast series, particularly the ones with FKA Twigs, where I thought he did a really good, sensitive, job of letting her explain what it's like to be in an abusive relationship, or the one with KSI, where he got him to discuss some of the more unpleasant aspects of his material without coming across as too judgmental. I cannot stand KSI and was very reluctant to listen to it, but I thought the podcast was excellent - I can't say I like the guy, but his background and rise to fame are undeniably quite interesting, and I think I understand him a bit better now. The one he did with Justin Theroux was great as well, like an Adam Buxton-style rambly chat between two cousins who are obviously great pals.

 

I think he's really good at that stuff, even if he clearly has desires to tackle what he sees as more important subjects. Someone like Stormzy, who is charismatic and really smart but is probably also misunderstood, would be perfect for Louis' approach.

Couldn’t agree more. I really liked his podcast series. And as much as I love his more serious docs, will be nice to see him hanging out with famous folk again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Just watched the old Twilight of the Pornstars episode. Forgot how wonderful/confused Tommy Gunn was and I love his zombie truck. I assume that Rob Black has done some speed or something in this. He was bizarre.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Louis once did a rap in an episode of Weird Weekends, which he performed again in a recent interview, a remixed version of which has become the latest hot new dance trend on that TikTok thing that all the kids (and Anthony Hopkins) are using these days.

 

It even made it onto the Spotify charts! Shakira danced to it!

 

 

Of course, those who - like me - keep a finger on the pulse of all the latest hot viral influencer trending memes will be aware of all this already. But for anyone else, the whole tale is told in this interview:

 

 

And to think it all started here:

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 months later...

Not sure if anyone has watched the most recent output, however I'd have to say it's fucking excellant. Be interested to see how the rest of the them pan out as he's certainly prepared to tackle the awkward 'stuff' including asking Dench about Weinstein. Not only that but the loss of her husband 21 years ago which absolutely knocked the wind out of her sails.

 

The format works I think as the guards are slowly let down. Not a massive stormzy fan but still found it interesting.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, marsh said:

Not sure if anyone has watched the most recent output, however I'd have to say it's fucking excellant. Be interested to see how the rest of the them pan out as he's certainly prepared to tackle the awkward 'stuff' including asking Dench about Weinstein. Not only that but the loss of her husband 21 years ago which absolutely knocked the wind out of her sails.

 

The format works I think as the guards are slowly let down. Not a massive stormzy fan but still found it interesting.

Is this the podcast you're talking about?.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Think Stormzy comes across brilliantly in the first episode of the interviews. And Louis is a bit cheekier, while still guiding his subject into some telling revelations.

 

Looking forward to catching up with the Dame Judi Dench one.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think the Dench one resonated with me as I've had first hand accounts recently of how utterly bored and pointless people of that age feel. I've been working on a park homes site and us being there is the single most exciting thing to have happened there in years (and fuck me if digging in utilities isn't tedious enough in itself) As a result you get to see the daily commings and goings of the elderly and it's fucking dire. Couple that with spending some time at my in laws farm and it just compounds the utter dredge that retirement seems to offer to some people.

 

So yeah, I hope Dench finds a way to continue to work, thus giving her a sense of purpose.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Watched the Stormzy one last week. I know precisely fuck all about him other than the Banksy vest he wore, but he came across well and I really enjoyed it. Listened to some of his stuff after that.

 

Started the one with Bear Grylls, another person who I know little about, but he was a proper smarmy cunt and I turned it off after 20 minutes.

 

Judi Dench next I guess.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I thought the Stormzy one was fine. Nothing groundbreaking, all light stuff on the surface and an interview that wouldn't be out of place on a sunday teatime.

 

The Dench one was amazing though. She just engenders so much emotion with every story and mannerism. Louis responded well enough, but she was captivating and heartbreaking. I didn't think he handled the Weinstein thing particularly well, as she'd defended him before and the conclusion was neither new nor useful. That said, it would've been hard to pursue a tough line of questioning against someone so simultaneously likeable and frail.

 

This series doesn't seem like it'll be great, but I 100% recommend the Judi Dench ep. I'd watch a whole series with her.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Watched the Judi Dench one and it was lovely. Touching the way she talks about her husband.

 

I think more than anything it’s just nice to see Louis spend time with people who aren’t far-right nuts and neo-nazis, and who enjoy his company. Could watch hundreds of these. Nice, uncomplicated viewing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Theres a lot of talk about the Katherine Ryan episode and who the well known sexual abuser in the comedy circuit is. 

 

Its awful it happened to her but she should be going to the police and naming the cunt rather than letting whoever it is live free and keep doing it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Ry said:

Theres a lot of talk about the Katherine Ryan episode and who the well known sexual abuser in the comedy circuit is. 

 

Its awful it happened to her but she should be going to the police and naming the cunt rather than letting whoever it is live free and keep doing it. 

 

Easy for us to say. If she did, in reality, she'll end up being blamed, she'll end up getting no bookings, and it'll be the end of her career.

 

Anyway, I thought people had a fair idea?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Festoon said:

 

Easy for us to say. If she did, in reality, she'll end up being blamed, she'll end up getting no bookings, and it'll be the end of her career.

 

Anyway, I thought people had a fair idea?

 

I would do the right thing over my career. 

 

I have experience of doing that exact thing. Lost a job after calling out a prick abusing manager and nearly throwing him out a window. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not the biggest Katherine Ryan fan at the best of times but don’t think her episode did her any favours. Find people that spend most of their time saying they don’t care about what people think, very much do care.

 

Thought her continually banging on about money came across as vulgar rather than ironic. She’s probably the worst Canadian celebrity since Mike Myers, although at least he’s been funny in the past.

 

The abuse allegation is awful though, it’s horrendous that kind of behaviour is still permitted to happen, but I guess it always will while rich men exist.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 26/11/2022 at 10:33, Ry said:

 

I would do the right thing over my career. 

 

I have experience of doing that exact thing. Lost a job after calling out a prick abusing manager and nearly throwing him out a window. 

 

It's obviously harder for a woman.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Dirty Harry Potter said:

Never really heard of a Katherine Ryan before this. And thought she came across as a dick tbh, despite Louis’ best attempts to humanise her.

Yeah, always thought she was an idiot and Louis' style didn't do anything to change my mind, whereas the Yungblud one made me realise that whilst he has issues he really came across as a nice person. The Ora episode was boring and apart from meeting her family we never really found out anything about her that I couldn't read online. Louis didn't even press her on her lockdown party and just mentioned it in passing. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.