IGNORED

Celebrity Dancing With Brucie

catinthehat

Yes, I could look it up I suppose.

I think it's either Celebrity Come Dancing, or Dancing With Stars. Probably.

Anyway, my wife watches it. I've never really taken much interest. She usually watches it during the day when I'm at work, but I was busy on the PC this weekend, so she watched it on Saturday night.

I wasn't really paying much attention (can you tell?). But anyway, it's all pretty crap, but then there's this really sexy dance. Damn! I don't know who it was, or what the dance was called, or... anything. But DAMN! I watched the results show as well, so I could see some of it again.

DAMN!

Anybody else catch it, and care to fill in the blanks?

Well, I obviously can't look at those links while at work, but thanks anyway.

So nobody knows the name of the girl, then? I'm just trying to help you guys out here. You should all see this dance. It's quite sexy.

I suspect you're talking about Rachel Steven's dance from Saturday night. Rather fine it was, too.

I suspect you're talking about Rachel Steven's dance from Saturday night. Rather fine it was, too.

Google confirms that you are correct.

It's good to know I'm not the only one who had to sit through this steaming pile of chuff on a Saturday night, only to be massively entertained for those few short minutes that Ms Stevens was strutting her slinky and downright amazing stuff.

A lot of men seem to watch this. I know I shouldn't judge people by my own standards but I still can't believe that any man coming into it cold would think "I really enjoy watching people learn how to dance and would be interested to see how these couples adapt to different dance styles" without thinking "OMG! HOTCHIX! HOTCHIX! HOTCHIX!"

Doesn't the latter instinct always supercede the former or is it just me?

Also, does the programme actively teach you the viewer how to dance or do you pick it up through passively watching someone else?

Before anyone gets Internet Television Programme Defence Rage (ITPDR), I'm not saying the programme is rubbish, I''m just suggesting that as the acts of dance combined with scanty clothing and female celebrities would automatically make me think of shagging them rather than dancing with them.

Sorry, sexualising dance has turned me into a monster :)

A lot of men seem to watch this. I know I shouldn't judge people by my own standards but I still can't believe that any man coming into it cold would think "I really enjoy watching people learn how to dance and would be interested to see how these couples adapt to different dance styles" without thinking "OMG! HOTCHIX! HOTCHIX! HOTCHIX!"

Doesn't the latter instinct always supercede the former or is it just me?

Also, does the programme actively teach you the viewer how to dance or do you pick it up through passively watching someone else?

Before anyone gets Internet Television Programme Defence Rage (ITPDR), I'm not saying the programme is rubbish, I''m just suggesting that as the acts of dance combined with scanty clothing and female celebrities would automatically make me think of shagging them rather than dancing with them.

Sorry, sexualising dance has turned me into a monster :)

I find the two instincts complement each other rather well. And you've got to give credit to the dancing - Rachel wouldn't have been writhing around suggestively on prime-time Saturday night TV for any other reason now, would she?

I got into the show through the traditional 'my girlfriend watches it' route, but I'm not with her any more and I still watch the show. It's classic Saturday night material, pure entertainment, no particular delusions of importance.

It certainly doesn't teach the viewer how to dance, though I'd wager it inspires a few to find a dance class near them. In fact, I'm not even sure it teaches you how to appreciate dance - I've been watching for 3 years, and it's ridiculous the number of times I find myself saying "I like this dance, this'll do well", or similar, only to have the judges tear the dance apart.

Very impressed with Rachel at the weekend, always good to see someone pull one out of the bag like that. Quite like Tom overall, though Austin looks to be favourite. Also like Christine, but she doesn't look like final material. Was sorry to see Cheri get knocked out, and as for the whole John Sergeant thing... it's frustrating that others keep dropping out while he stays, but I think it'll only really be a problem if he wins the competition. Because although it's an entertainment show, it is a dancing competition - or why would they all put so much effort into training every week? If it came down to personality they could just not bother training all week and turn up with a winning smile.

I'd agree with Stu on this - I doubt I'd actively plan to watch it if my wife wasn't around, but I do really get into it. I can't say I've learned a great deal about dance other than the basics about different styles (which, I suppose, is not to be sniffed at), but it has made me appreciate dance as an art form. This is especially the case where you get just the professional dancers performing on the Sunday night results show. There was one dance last series by the lovely Flavia and Vincent that was wonderful - you really felt the romance in it.

As for John Sergeant, well, it's a funny one. He's definitely playing up to the 'It's an entertainment show', which I find a bit...off. From the short interviews he's given about it, he doesn't seem to care that much better dancers are being kicked off.

And I think it's about time they partnered Ola with someone who can really dance - she always gets voted off far too early.

And I think it's about time they partnered Ola with someone who can really dance - she always gets voted off far too early.

And I shall agree in return with this one. Hotchix indeed.

Makes you wonder about the selection process though. The producers must know that there is enough talent in the field, otherwise the show could be a complete damp squib. So it can hardly be a case of picking 16 celebrities' names out of the air - there must be quite a bit of thought goes into it.

And I shall agree in return with this one. Hotchix indeed.

Makes you wonder about the selection process though. The producers must know that there is enough talent in the field, otherwise the show could be a complete damp squib. So it can hardly be a case of picking 16 celebrities' names out of the air - there must be quite a bit of thought goes into it.

Height and weight has a massive say.

As in, pick someone of a certain build and there's always a fair chance that they'll develop into a good dancer given the training they go through? That seems fair, plus it can be played around with by throwing unusual body types into the mix.

Yes, but I meant more in terms of the dance partners. Ola was partnered with Andrew Castle, and her height was a problem: she was so much shorter than him that he stooped. The pros don't but it's a hard habit to break as an amateur.

By and large though, the Beeb pair people up well (witness tiny Rachel with tiny Vincent, although you'd think that one's a no-brainer).

Blatently he was pressured into quitting, which is ridiculous and basically says 'If you vote for the people you like and we don't like them, then we'll bully them off the show!'

I thought it was great to see him getting through and makes a change from all the stage school people moaning about how hard it is. Yawn.

I think this show is getting close to having run its course, to be honest, as it feels very repetitive now. That's why John struck a chord with people as he was entertaining and enjoyable to watch inbetween the dull dancing. I've barely watched this series, when the girlfriend has it on, but did enjoy seeing Sargent dragging the woman with the dodgy tan across the floor! I wondered if she'd leave an orangey brown streak where he'd dragged her.

I'm not following the show, but the impression I get from the news is he was pressured into quitting - he wasn't the best dancer, but he was the most fun/enjoyable/improving?

See...I think this sort of show should be based on who's improved/learned then most, or enjoys it the most and provides the most entertainment. Otherwise you might as well just have 10 professional dancers do it.

This also sort of sends the wrong message - "you need to be the best to be sucessful/praised".