IGNORED

Black Mesa Source

fasteasyfree

Yeah, Surface Tension had me slamming my mouse on the desk and shouting "BULLSHIT!" so many times. Just as all great games should :D

I genuinely feel a bit guilty that this is free, the amount of work that's gone into it is staggering. Been trying to find a donate button somewhere on their site but no luck.

Hmm, I didn't map anything. Just had a 360 pad plugged in and checked 'enable joystick' simply cos it seemed to be what I was using. Though even that might have been unnecessary.

Hmm, maybe everything I did was unnecessary!

Yeah, Surface Tension had me slamming my mouse on the desk and shouting "BULLSHIT!" so many times. Just as all great games should :D

I genuinely feel a bit guilty that this is free, the amount of work that's gone into it is staggering. Been trying to find a donate button somewhere on their site but no luck.

They say they won't take donations on their wiki and suggest a US children's charity instead. It's a nice idea. I'd happily have paid £20 for this, so I'll split it between a couple of good causes instead. Seriously though, the level of polish they've achieved is remarkable for a mod team, albeit a pretty large one. Half of them are bound to be hired by someone, if not Valve.

Hmm, I didn't map anything. Just had a 360 pad plugged in and checked 'enable joystick' simply cos it seemed to be what I was using. Though even that might have been unnecessary.

Same for me, I just ticked the box and it worked, no need to do anything else. The pad and mouse/kb are even active at the same time so you can put the pad down and use the mouse/kb for tricky bits.

I was reminded of a brilliant moment in "On a Rail" when you're on the tram; you wind up on this rotating lift thing and slowly go around and around, and when you eventually come to a stop on the new rail you're surrounded by laser-triggered turrets around the whole platform and one way out - I just took a deep breath and floored it whilst all hell broke loose behind me :lol:

Can someone explain to me why the Vortigaunts are hostile in this game?

They were used by someone and had devices controlling them. I can't remember who did it though, not sure if it was the Combine or not (G-Man maybe ?). In Half Life 2 they had broken free from being controlled and are determined to help Gordon/the Human Race.

Anyone else have a problem where UI strings aren't showing up correctly? I'm getting placeholders like #BMS_intro_location.

Resolved this. Seems like the directory containing then mod in SourceMods must be BMS and not BlackMesa. I copied it in manually instead of using the installer that came with the files.

The thing that amazes me about this is how generous Valve have been with this project. Any other developer would have had it shut down.

And so we get to revisit Black Mesa anew with a different interpretation of the events. Cannon or non-cannon, the Black Mesa mod guys have added some fantastic new bits, I spent ages faffing about at the start and finding new bits of dialogue.

I’ve tried finding it without any success but I'm sure in some Gabe/Valve interview years ago the question of a proper HL update was asked and he basically said it was up to the community to do that sort of thing, kind of dismissive of the idea they’d do it themselves. This wasn’t long after the Source port.

I may have imagined it, just remember feeling a bit annoyed by the sentiment because mod teams don’t always have the quality or completion rate.

Worked out fine here, in the end. Looks alot better than I thought it could too, 8 years ago is decades!

The funniest bit for me was right at the start with the security guy and the scientist at the terminal:

Scientist - "I wonder if it's solitaire that's taking up too much memory..."

Security - " yeah well if you're so smart how come you don't know how to use deodorant!"

:lol:

Is that in the original?

The funniest bit for me was right at the start with the security guy and the scientist at the terminal:

Scientist - "I wonder if it's solitaire that's taking up too much memory..."

Security - " yeah well if you're so smart how come you don't know how to use deodorant!"

:lol:

Is that in the original?

I got

Scientist - "Go on Gordon, get to work. You can't hang around here all day!"

Security - (under his breath) "Then why are you just standing there looking over my shoulder?"

And according to a post on Metafilter

There's a hilarious conversation you can overhear at the beginning with a scientist defending his decision to put loads of time and effort into replicating someone else's work so that modern people can properly appreciate its genius.

Spent an hour fighting the fucking helicopter last night. In the end I had to switch it to easy for just that section. Horrible. Nearly done now. What I shouldn't have done yesterday was to get up and say "oh I think that today I will finish black mesa", because it is a lot longer than I remembered, and quite challenging on hard mode.

I haven't noticed much missing, a couple of rooms maybe so far. Most of the time it seems that I'm doing something slightly different but equally interesting.

Put some screenshots on my steam profile of some later parts of the game. spoilers obviously. http://steamcommunity.com/id/moonible/screenshots