Xbox LIVE Indie Games

acidbearboy

Yeah qrth-phyl is properly ace. I'm not brilliant at it by any means, but when it starts upping its game to make it tricky for you it gets properly head-fucky in a really good way.

I had one go of the trial and purchased it immediately.

The core game is 'Snake' in 3D and works brilliantly. The design is perfect - it looks like it was designed by Warp Records.

I took the plunge on Snops. It's not often I buy anything from XBLIG for more than 80pts without trying it first, but I couldn't reist. The echos of 'it's the price of a cup of coffee' kept flying round my head so I just did it.

Also bought all the Summer Uprising games that are released so far. Now I just need 6 months off to attack my ever increasing backlog...

Also bought all the Summer Uprising games that are released so far.

Bad choice. qrth-phyl is amazing, and Diehard Dungeon seems amazing too from the trial I just played, but Sententia is absolute horseshit. Apparently it's made by the guy running the Uprising, so he's just put his own crap game in the middle to leech off the quality of all the other games.

qrth-phyl - What a game! Essentially, Snake crossed with Pac-Man, a hint of Rez, and a futuristic 1980's feel to it........on acid.

Didn't realise it was created by the guy that made Leave Home, which is already one of my favourite Live Indie games.

Both proof that we don't need brand new expensive waggly controllers with second screens. We just need more imaginitive, brilliantly designed games,that focus on pure, undiluted, fun gameplay.

Had a go with Snops Attack and ended up buying it. For what is just a little less than £2 you get a slick vertical shooter with some decent presentation. Whilst the enemies seemed a bit flat (which I guess is deliberate) and the sound effects were a tad jokey for my taste, the actual gameplay was fine. It's not total bullet-hell but there are times when the screen does fill up. I would have liked to have had the second weapon be on its own button rather than switching it.

It's *very* Twin. The guy that made it is from Cornwall too [strokes chin]

It made my head hurt the first time I went into the screen but it's certainly very impressive. The Aphex connection occurred to me too; maybe it's deliberate, or maybe that's just the way the Cornish work.

Diehard Dungeon is lovely. Will buy the second I stock up on some points at my next trade in session. It's got a great Pratchett meets Spelunky vibe and just oozes charm.

Snops Attack is also great and seems very professional - probably explains the 240 point price. I generally suck at bullet hell games but I may pick it up as a change of pace.

I also tried the demos of Funky Balls and Brimstone, the former of which is distracting enough but cannot compete with the likes of Kororinpa on Wii due to the limitations of the controller. The latter may or may not be good, it seemed to have too many instructions and menus for the 5 minutes I had to play on it. Definitely suffered from being nowhere near as immediate as Diehard Dungeon. Despite (or maybe because of) the mauling that Indie Gamer Chick and ttk have downloaded the trial of Sententia to see how bad it could really be. Not tried it yet though but might fire it up later with a glass of wine to take away the pain.

All in all, a real gala week for the Indie Marketplace, yet the dashboard image is still of the fun, if insanely hard, Chicken Shooting game that came out a few months back. :doh:

Diehard Dungeon is ace. I've beaten the first boss and got a new weapon, and an upgrade. I love the music in the fire bonus stage and overall it's got a great atmosphere. Reminds me playability wise of a top down Zelda crossed with Dark Souls. The pixel graphics work really well especially the pixel gore.

Bloody difficult which works on its favour.

One thing I can't work out is that when I get loot it goes in my companion chest but I don't know how much I have or how to check.

Is it randomly generated each time (the dungeon I mean) ?

All in all, a real gala week for the Indie Marketplace, yet the dashboard image is still of the fun, if insanely hard, Chicken Shooting game that came out a few months back. :doh:

Said it before but don't the people who put the dash stuff together know what's going on in the indie section? It's clear they don't give a rat's arse otherwise they'd be showing off some of the great stuff.

Despite (or maybe because of) the mauling that Indie Gamer Chick and ttk have downloaded the trial of Sententia to see how bad it could really be. Not tried it yet though but might fire it up later with a glass of wine to take away the pain.

It's not the worst game ever or anything, but it is genuinely terrible. The platforming is horrible, it's ugly even for XBLIGs, and the controls plain don't even work half the time. It's just extra offensive because the developer put it into one of the prime slots in this promotion himself as if it was somehow worthy of a spot and to trick people into buying it. It's shady as hell, especially since he was never particularly open about it in any of the PR material.