Xbox LIVE Indie Games

acidbearboy

Ill give that a try :)

Edit

Can't access any update - tried loading several Indie games and I just get signed out after the Indie games splash screen then error code 3. Is there a way -other than launching a Game -to download the update?

Edit 2 I have indie update 27 Meg on my hdd I just noticed. Am I borked?

Edit 3 (!) It works on my other 360- very weird as that has the Dash Beta too (pre-release 360 20G HDD) but the newer one just gives me an error code (60G HDD white 360).

Odd stuff.

Indie Uprising III - Day 6

Entropy is released!

I thought of a possible change for the mashing X thing - could you make it so the boxes take less hits to destroy from the offset? Two at most, really.

Working on a couple of things to reduce the button mashing :)

• 3 weeks later...

Seeing as nobody else is mentioning these, there has been some price-drops to 80MSP recently:

Wizorb, the most charming breakout game I have ever played:

Gateways!, although I think this is temporary for a few days and will revert back to 240MSP soon:

(PS: I can also recommend his earlier game Growing Pains too - two for less than the price of one!)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

This thread is as dead as Xbox LIVE Indie Games.

Well, as dead as it was UNTIL TODAY. Haven't played either of these yet, but both look pretty ace and are out now.

http://www.youtube.c...?v=a6g-3NcUXS4#!

Oh, forum software is being shit, I see. That ! is part of the Youtube link in the first trailer so it won't embed, but clicking works. FFS.

Bleed looks absolutely terrific.

Edit: And having now played it, I can say that it is. Well, the first 8 minutes are. Very impressed, might just have to buy that when I get the time to play it.

I hope people are still in the mood for platform shooters next month... :unsure:

I like the look of Bleed but 400 points feels a lot for an indie game. I always have a nagging uncertainty about playtesting and balance. Although, oddly, I've paid similar for Pc indie games so perhaps that's an impression I need to get over.

The problem with XBLIG is that it's almost entirely populated with shit. Trawling the menus for something even half decent looking is a nightmare and so I can't be fucked. I'm pretty sure anything good will drop off the list quickly anyway, unless it's yet another fucking Minecraft clone.

The problem with XBLIG is that it's almost entirely populated with shit. Trawling the menus for something even half decent looking is a nightmare and so I can't be fucked. I'm pretty sure anything good will drop off the list quickly anyway, unless it's yet another fucking Minecraft clone.

You could pretty much say the same thing about full price retail games. Trawling through the shelves of shit etc. There are shed loads of brilliant games on Live Indie!

• 1 month later...

http://www.dealspwn....ndie-mvp-128694

"I believe that Microsoft wasn't prepared to handle what they had accidentally stumbled upon with XNA. A strong and vibrant development community excited and passionate about game development. I'm honestly not sure they'll stumble across that formula again. It was a special moment in time with the right mixture of people, hardware and technology. If they do, I hope I'm part of it but I really do feel like I got to be part of something special that just won't happen again."

Hear hear.

I love Xbox Indie Games. It always feels very personal and you can quite often see what developers are trying to do, and just how much effort is put in. It reminds me of record shopping, in that you have to put time into finding the obscurities and gems. I finished playing a title called Mute Crimson last night - an odd little platformer, with slightly dodgy controls, some engrish, but a lot of character. I bet no more than 10 people will ever finish it. I like that.

Yeah, it's an absolute shame that XNA is being put out to pasture. I seriously doubt there will be similar technology for their next console, but here's hoping. I have switched development to Unity now with the hope that there will be some sort of indie community for consoles built through that. I'm not holding my breath, while it does support Wii U and the current Xbox and PS3, they require full dev kits to publish to them platforms. They are certainly not cheap and you must be of proven quality to get in there. Will there be anything for the next gen that allows the bedroom coding ethos onto the new consoles? God, I hope so, but I doubt it.

Is there an rllmuk-aprroved best-of indie games list anywhere? Also if there isn't can people just list good games here, as it's impossible to find things on there quite often. I've probably only played the more famous ones and missed out on some excellent stuff hidden beneath 3000 unordered games on a slow scrolling list.

The best five I've played are probably DLC Quest, Apple Jack 1 and 2, Escape Goat and Miner Dig Deep (all the obvious ones).

There are vague plans for a best-of-XBLIG thread on GAF, I'll post it here when it's done.

(It'll be a while, though)

Is there an rllmuk-aprroved best-of indie games list anywhere? Also if there isn't can people just list good games here, as it's impossible to find things on there quite often. I've probably only played the more famous ones and missed out on some excellent stuff hidden beneath 3000 unordered games on a slow scrolling list.

The best five I've played are probably DLC Quest, Apple Jack 1 and 2, Escape Goat and Miner Dig Deep (all the obvious ones).

Copy and pasted from old posts:

Ultratron - Superb twin stick shooter

Decimation X - nice Space Invaders tribute.

Retrofit Overload - Simple Galaga-esque gallery shooter, no frills but good to play.

Miner Dig Deep - just nice and relaxing, and addictive.

Leave Home - excellent fixed-length stylish score-attack shooter with superb music. Now down to 80pts!

radiangames Crossfire - Nice twist on the gallery shooter, usual superb presentation.

Hypership Out Of Control - well-presented scrolling avoid-em-up.

Shoot 1UP - amazing to think this is 80pts, 16-bit style vertical shooter.

Earth Shaker - nice little Boulderdash/Repton-style game converted from the Spectrum.

Apple Jack - Best game on the service. You must already own this though surely?

Jonny Platformer Saves Christmas - Much better than the original. No longer feels like a DS game on a big screen, rather we have lovely widescreen levels with some interesting puzzles. Really nice looking game too.

NINJA BROS - Probably far too hard to ever sink too much time into, but its got one of the most interesting, original game mechanics Ive seen in a platfomer.

Platformance: Castle Pain - A one screen challenge platformer. Suffers in replayability stakes

Tobes Vertical Adventure - A lovely game where you grab treasure at the bottom of a cave, before trying to escape Metroid-stylee. Controls were vastly improved in a update a while after release.

Leave Home - I'm always banging on about this, but it's a horizontal shooter with a distinctive but hugely satisfying feel to it as well as some really interesting ideas and gameplay mechanics. It's really impressive.

Flotilla - Not played much, but Idle Thumbs love it. Multiplayer space war strategy.

Ancient Trader - Pirates! Very playable, looks lovely.

Radiangames Inferno - (I think it's this one that's a) Halls of the Things for 2010. Awesome.

Star Crisis - Authentically old school shooter which by accident I played for about twenty five minutes without realising you could move your ship left and right. It was still great.

The Tempura of the Dead - Tempura mechanic is terrifically addictive and it's a lovely looking side scroller slice em up.

Beat Hazard - Already mentioned by lots of people, but just amazing value for money and a great synesthesia experiment.

Miner Dig Deep - Immersive mine exploration.

Text Zedventure - Tightly written Choose Your Own Adventure with lovely sound effects. To say more would spoil it.

01. Miner Dig Deep - A lovely, relaxing near zero threat Dig Dug / Boulderdash type thing. Just dig for gems to upgrade your gear, that's literally it.

02. Epic Dungeon - Roguelike, but real time and on a substantial amount of speed.

03. Gravitron360 - Thrust with nice neon graphics.

04. Solar - Another relax-a-thon. Drive a star through space, picking up stuff in your gravitational field.

05. Squid Yes! Not So Octopus - Llamatron-esqe single stick arena shooter, with fractional scoring.

06. Shoot 1 Up - Vertical shooter, with every life you have onscreen in formation.

07. Apple Jack - Platformer with chucking-things-about elements. Like a multi-screen Parasol Stars, in a way.

08. Decimation X - Space Invaders, with powerups and bullet hell.

09. radiangames Fireball - Geometry Wars Pacifism mode-a-like.

10. Aah Little Atlantis - Cute turn based god-strategy-puzzle thing, raise and lower land to save the Atlanteans from the rising flood.

Along Came A Spider *

Arkedo Series 01 JUMP! *

Arkedo Series 03 PIXEL! *

BlindGiRl

Breath of Death VII : The Beginning

Epic Dungeon

Gravitron360

Miner : Dig Deep

Ninja Bros *

radiangames Crossfire

radiangames Fireball

radiangames Fluid

radiangames JoyJoy

radiangames Inferno

Run Away! *

Soul

Tank Battles

The TEMPURA of the DEAD *

Treasure Treasure: FFEE *

You can add Snopes Attack and qrth-phyl to that list (this Aphex Twin cornish sounding game is by the guy who did Leave Home). And he posts here.

He seemingly has an accurate ear for arcade details but it plays a bit like a 3D Snake only with an ever more suffocating surface mechanic...

(He also did the lovely Fren-ze which we posted in the PC indie thread eons ago.)

dng you might like Washington's Wig. It's kinda pretty awful as a game, but you play as George Washington's dog in a sort of endless-runner type game in a fake 8-bit style trying to retrieve your bald masters wig. And the soundtrack keeps saying "Washington's.... wiiiiiiiiiig" over and over. I'm pretty sure it's dreadful really, but it's 80 points and I've played it more than I probably should have. "Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiig".

Just went ahead and bought that Text Zedventure from Mr Do 71's post last night. It's such a nice short text adventure and makes great use of concise descriptions and the occasional sound effect to keep things interesting. I've only tried the shopping mall story so far, but I was quite satisfied with the result for every route I took. Well worth playing for the few pence it cost.

Wouldn't mind the same developer doing something in exactly the same style again. Not even necessarily longer either, just more of the same thing.

I'll have a gander through the rest of Mr Do's list as well.

Also, dng, I dunno if you've got access to genuine human friends or not but you should take advantage of other humans and their living bodies in order to play and love Hidden In Plain Sight. It's just amazing. Failing that you could just play it alone, pointlessly frustrated, and capture a stop motion animation of your own lonely face.