Xbox LIVE Indie Games

acidbearboy

• 4 weeks later...

It really is a massive shame that Microsoft have chosen to no longer support XNA, It's been a joy to use the C#/XNA combo for the last few years, but to be honest they never really knew what they had, or what to do with it anyway.

It's taken me far longer to finish than I wanted, but Diehard Dungeon v1.2 is available to download :)

The PC beta is also up on Desura with a release date set for April. If a few of you guys are interested in taking a look to make sure it runs ok, I would be extremely greatful. It's invite only though, so let me know and I will send the invite. It's got basic keyboard support, but ideally requires a pad (preferably an XInput device like a 360 pad).

A sequel is also in the works, with a lot of the design already finished. Multiplayer, backtracking, shifting rooms and "piggyback" riding being a few key features. :D

Excellent. I'll get the update tonight. I'd love to give the Desura version a bash too. What details do you need?

If you could PM me either your Desura username, or an email address if you haven't got a Desura account, that would be great! :)

I got diehard dungeon recently and thought it was bloody wonderful. Cheers, Shaedo. Best 80p or so I've spent in ages

Thanks! I'm really glad you like it.

Another thumbs up for Diehard dungeon, it's great.

The cover wasn't showing yesterday in my games list though Shaedo, thought I'd mention it.

Cheers! Yeah, there have been a few issues recently with the cover art of xbligs not updating properly. Hopefully it will sort itself out.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got Aban Hawkins and the 1000 Spikes after randomly stumbling across it then downloading it by mistake! Wow - what a happy accident. Came out Jan 2011 so a few of you, like me, may well have missed it. It's a Spelunky / Meatboy style platformer with boat loads of frustration, one more go and trial and error. Go get! 80msp

• 2 weeks later...

One of my favourite ever puzzle games is coming to XBLIG:

It's a conversion of an old Archimedes game called Cataclysm (renamed to Aqualibrium).

Used to play this (Cataclysm) on my Dad's Acorn A5000 as a kid. Had a good 2 hour session on the new XBLIG version (Aqualibrium) last night and it's still very enjoyable, though the instant kills can be rather frustrating! Recommended to all puzzle fans.

• 2 weeks later...

Seeing as the EA servers were down last night and we couldn't play Clubs, I thought I'd check out some of the Indie Games and I noticed a game called SHARK ATTACK DEATHMATCH. I convinced my brother and a few others to get the game and we gave it a go.

Gameplay footage starts at 4 minutes, most of it is 4 player multiplayer and it includes the Xbox Live Party Chat. Unfortunately I forgot to set up Audacity properly due to my excitement at playing a shark game, so the levels were a bit naff for party chat. It all sounded fine in my headset so I had no idea that the recording would be so naff on Audacity.

80 MS points at the moment, it's definitely worth a punt if you can get some mates involved.

• 1 month later...

Unfortunately not. Something about ESRB-ratings that I will never understand. Microsoft care less about Indie Games than they do about anything else. Nothing will change here.

That was always assumed to be the reason but I don't think it's true. The theory went that to release a game, you had to have it ESRB rated. This is obviously impossible for XBLIG devs in the main and so to get around it, Microsoft made a container which XBLIGs sat in, and then used the "online interactions may vary" loophole to avoid having to get games individually rated. Obviously, though, this means they HAVE to be online.

But iOS somehow manages the same kind of marketplace without such restrictions, so it seems unlikely to be the real reason.

I never actually thought about the reasons before for enforcing the on-line only aspect. I can see some sort of half-sense in that.

I suppose the best we can hope for, if Microsoft don't patch things to allow the games to work offline, is for the developers to release the games on other platforms. Some of them already are, or are in the pipeline, but there's still plenty left.

A lot of the games I'd genuinely miss are already on PC, and a few others (like Apple Jack) are on the way, so I think I'm okay overall. Probably only FlipSide I'll lose, which will be quite sad.

Yeah. Most are on PC but the big ones Ill miss are Storage Inc, and Hidden in Plain Sight. Don't think the Milkstone Games are ported either, and the Arkedo ones will never be now.

What about "Tempura of the Dead" and "Upbot goes Up"? Somebody should keep a list of stuff that hasn't been ported yet.

HiPS is on Ouya, I think, so will probably be on other stuff at some point. Milkstone will definitely have their games ported if XBLIG dies, they've done the Greenlight thing but it didn't work out, unfortunately, but they've done some PC ports already and so clearly have the willpower to do it. I reckon I could get a port of Upbot if I asked reeeeeally nicely, heh.

Arkedo games are ones I won't really miss. Really nice to play through once, but I don't really feel the need to do so again tbh. Pix n' Love on iOS is their real masterpiece

Titan Attacks submitted to XBLIG playtest

Took me a whie but I got there in the end - If you have membership and a spare 5 mins or so I'd really appreciate it if you could give this a little test. Already found a region / locale bug that's slipped through

Game Details:
http://catalog.create.msdn.com/en-US/ga ... bf9&type=1

Playtest Forum:
http://xboxforums.create.msdn.com/forum ... 61652.aspx

Puppy Games original Java / Desktop version:
http://www.puppygames.net/titan-attacks/

I sent a PM to HIPS' creator outlining my concerns that his game will be lost when the time comes that we can't get our 360s online any more.

My questions were:

1) Is HIPS available on other formats currently? The same concerns about the game dying were raised in the indie games thread and it was mentioned that it's on Ouya. Is this the only other version at present?

2) Do you have plans to make HIPS available on any further formats?

3) Is there any chance we could see a HIPS 2 or updated version for the new consoles when they come out?

And Mr. Spragg kindly responded:

1) HIPS is available for Windows for "pay what you want, no minimum" on indievania.com. The catch is that it's still local-multiplayer, and still requires Xbox-compatible controllers, and is generally unsupported. It was thrown together for our Australian friends who don't have access to XBLIGs. And yes, it's also now available on Ouya and getting good reception there.

2) I want to make HIPS available on as many platforms as is possible. The problem is there aren't that many platforms that allow small hobbyist indies to self-publish any game they want. XBLIG was one. Ouya is another. Sony claims that indies can "self-publish" on PS3, but that doesn't mean that anyone can do it. All that means is that individuals can try to cut a deal with Sony directly, rather than going through a publisher middleman (that's my impression at least). But it does NOT mean that any joe off the street can publish ANY game (the way you can on XBLIG or Ouya).

I've looked into signing up to be a PSN developer, and the application scares me away (you need to provide company details and a 6-12 month business plan, etc).

3) See #2. No one knows what the future holds for XBLIG games on 360, as well as who can publish indie games for XBONE. We DO know that XNA, the framework used to make XBLIGs, is now officially "unsupported". I think we also know that XBox 360 games aren't backwards compatible with XBONE, so I doubt that HIPS (or any other XBLIGs (and possibly XBLAs?)) will carry over to the next gen. But it's all guesswork. Keep your eyes on the news, and if they have some sort or program that allows anyone to publish any game to some marketplace, you can be sure I'll try to port HIPS to it.

As far as a HIPS 2... I'm always on the lookout for new ideas, and I do want to make another game. I don't know if it will be HIPS-like or something else, or if I'll ever get around to it. I'm currently playing around with Unity3d and having fun learning that.

Hope that helps. Feel free to copy/paste this if you think I've said anything someone else wants to hear. And thank you for the support of my little game. It's really been so cool to know that people like it so much.

Adman

And this marks my final xbox game purchase.

Had a play through the tutorial and most of the first level. Looks nice. A bit too much inertia on the player for my liking, but manageable nonetheless.

The recoil/rumble from shooting a gun is a very nice touch and really adds to the game. I started a game on Normal and it seems I have infinite lives?

Will play more later.

Congratulations! :hat:

That was always assumed to be the reason but I don't think it's true. The theory went that to release a game, you had to have it ESRB rated. This is obviously impossible for XBLIG devs in the main and so to get around it, Microsoft made a container which XBLIGs sat in, and then used the "online interactions may vary" loophole to avoid having to get games individually rated. Obviously, though, this means they HAVE to be online.

But iOS somehow manages the same kind of marketplace without such restrictions, so it seems unlikely to be the real reason.

A guess but...

The ESRB is not mandatory but if MS are signed up it might well be so for stuff they "Publish", which includes the indie stuff.

Apple meanwhile, probably just told them to get fucked.