IGNORED

The Official Iain M Banks Thread

Danster

It really is sad news. Back in the 90s when I was reading tons of books pretty much at random I picked up The Wasp Factory knowing nothing about it or the author. Upon completing it I had to read more. I'll miss his self-depricating wit, his take on popular culture, and his imagination. Mind you, if he were reading all this he'd probably protest that he's not gone yet.

Such bad news :( One of my all time favourite authors. From a purely selfish standpoint I am devastated that I won't be able to take another trip into the culture universe. Apart from that though I can't imagine what the man himself is going through and the people close to him too.

Yeah, I echo what a few folk have said. one of the few authors where I own all their books and genuinely sad about this. I was looking forward to all the Culture books that are still to come :(

I've met him a few times and he was a very pleasant guy. Even bumped into him in a Mexican restaurant in Edinburgh. Was always happy to say hello and have a chat, even more so if you bought him a whisky lol

He's only ten years older than me - and I read Consider Phlebas back in 1987, when it was first released. Been a big part of my cultural (and indeed, Cultural) life since then.

I'll be raising a dram.

Just started stonemouth, there's some dreadful pop culture references at the start that are going to date this badly. Does it get better? Or is it another 'steep approach' style disappointment ?

I've been saving the Hydrogen Sonata, but might jump ship to that now instead.

Richard Morgan is a gritty sci-fi author who wrote some great books (Altered Carbon and its sequels, which are a sort of ultraviolent future neo-noir) and some slightly iffy ones (Market Forces). Well worth reading at least one of his to see how you like it -- start with Altered Carbon.

Richard Morgan is a gritty sci-fi author who wrote some great books (Altered Carbon and its sequels, which are a sort of ultraviolent future neo-noir) and some slightly iffy ones (Market Forces). Well worth reading at least one of his to see how you like it -- start with Altered Carbon.

Market Forces might appeal to ZOK!

The kovacs books are great, black man ok, and the ringil series some fun - a fantasy hero who's a known homosexual running around in a world where all the characters are homophobes and would beat him up if he didnt have such a big...

Just started stonemouth, there's some dreadful pop culture references at the start that are going to date this badly. Does it get better? Or is it another 'steep approach' style disappointment ?

I've been saving the Hydrogen Sonata, but might jump ship to that now instead.

Stonemouth didn't do much for me and if you haven't enjoyed the opening chapters you probably won't like the rest. But I really liked 'Steep Approach' so what do I know.

Yes, that Altered Carbon sounds like it's worth me giving it the time of day at least, cheers!

Altered carbon is brilliant and the 2 follow ups are also worth a go. Very dark, noir almost, bladrunner-esque. Some great concepts.

Going to stick with stonemouth.

the ringil series some fun - a fantasy hero who's a known homosexual running around in a world where all the characters are homophobes and would beat him up if he didnt have such a big...

I read an interview with Morgan where he said he wrote these partly because he was growing uncomfortable with a part of his fanbase that was calling for ever more graphic sex scenes in his novels. So he gave them some... of gay sex. Which probably shut them up, I imagine. (It was also an experiment for himself as a writer, as he's straight.)

I've just started listening to The Hydrogen Sonata audiobook, it is great! Very good voice acting if anyone's considering it.

Just by way of warning, as excellent as Peter Kenny's reading is, Banks' notoriously dreadful sex scenes are rendered even more dreadful by narration. :(