IGNORED

Are any of those Warhammer 40k books any good?

Eats hoops and leaves

Finished Fulgrim and really enjoyed the last 300 pages or so, once the

Eldar

show up. It actually gets fairly exciting, with Primarch versus Primarch and the way it ties events in with the previous books. It certainly feels like the most 'important' of the books up to now.

I'm up to Fulgrim (book five, I think), after starting to read them last summer. Chap in work has them so once I've finished one he passes me the next. They're okay, decent page-turners for the bus to work. Main problem with them is that I hate Space Marines, and would much rather read some books based on the other races, instead of a barrage of 500-page books full of arguing macho men.

The machismo is the draw! There's so much unintentional humour when these super-buff guys start holding hands while knee-deep in some pond, chanting and hugging in the shimmering moonlight.

And how can you can not like the Terminators?

The machismo is the draw! There's so much unintentional humour when these super-buff guys start holding hands while knee-deep in some pond, chanting and hugging in the shimmering moonlight.

And how can you can not like the Terminators?

Oh don't get me wrong. I love the 40K Universe. It's just, having finished Fulgrim, that's now 2,000 pages of bickering beefcakes I've read about. That's longer than The Bible.

Fulgrim was great though. It makes me want to go back and start them all again, knowing what I know now.

I remember that awesome two-page spread in the Lost and the Damned, detailing the fight between Horus and the Emperor. They should probably do an entire book just on that fight.

I remember that awesome two-page spread in the Lost and the Damned, detailing the fight between Horus and the Emperor. They should probably do an entire book just on that fight.

Was it this one by Adrian Smith?

horus_vs_emperor3.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
So, do these Horus books lead up to this confrontation?

Not yet AFAIK. All the books I've read (the last one being about Mars that i talked about a few post ago) just go over the same period of forces being exposed to chaos, then talking/ making allies with other legions and then shit kicking off. It's like groundhog day (but with the taint of Chaos and bolters).

Guy in work next to me is reading Tales of Heresy, the latest Heresy novel. It's a departure form the rest in that it features a series of short stories from around the universe set at that point in the Heresy Novels, as opposed to concentrating on a single Chapter. Apparently it's great.

• 9 months later...

Interesting article about GW's route into literature - http://www.vectormagazine.co.uk/article.asp?articleID=42

I've been arguing for some time that somebody ought to do a proper study of this saga. Well, nobody more qualified than me took up my challenge, and if you want something done … My aim here is to set out an informal history of GW literature, especially that of the Pringle period, based on the personal recollections of those involved, told as far as possible in their own words. I'd love to see a proper academic study of this body of work some day.

• 2 months later...

I finished reading the latest book in the Horus Heresy series today and would recommend it to anyone that lost interest in the series due to it's repetitive nature. Much like the Alpha Legion the space marines of the Thousand Sons are atypical and the book benefits with more rounded characters; Ahzek Ahriman in particular. Provided you know the general story of the heresy the book is self contained and can be read without knowledge of the previous books.