Best Racing Games Ever

We have just put up the first part of a feature on GV looking at the best racing games across all gaming systems since the dawn of time. The feature can be found here

For me personally, it has to be Ridge Racer 1 on the Playstation. I actually remember buying a 20" Toshiba TV at the time and just watching the games attract mode playing over and over again with the music pumping out of the pseudo surround sound on the tv. Happy Days!

Before that I think it was the original Screamer on the PC. Lost days to that game.

These days most of the racing games are clones of each other - or the game loses the fun factor to realism.

You've got Burnout 3 in there, you crazy fools. And you've put it ahead of OutRun 2 SP. There can be no recovery from this sort of mistake. You're now on the same level as Games TM. :)

I think driving games are the genre that's benefited most from improved technology. Old driving games tend to be rubbish.

We have just put up the first part of a feature on GV looking at the best racing games across all gaming systems since the dawn of time. The feature can be found here

BO3 better than BO2? I think not.

The list is flawed but could be redeemed by ensuring Wipeout 2097 is in the top 3, oh and Mario Kart better not bloody beat it. My interest in that website hangs on this criteria being met.

BO3 better than BO2? I think not.

The list is flawed but could be redeemed by ensuring Wipeout 2097 is in the top 3. Oh and Mario Kart better not bloody beat it.

That's the thing. People who like racing games think 2 is better, people (probably with ADD) that liked the transition into crashing game where you don't have to take corners properly prefer Paradise. Who in the world considers 3 the best (apart from GamesTM)?

Doing it in two parts so we can't all cry about what's missing is cunning though. Expect lots of :) if there's no Rallisport Challenge 2.

These days most of the racing games are clones of each other - or the game loses the fun factor to realism.

This is clearly nonsense. There have been more than enough titles emphasising fun over realism. Pure, Excite Truck and to a lesser extent Sega Rally spring to mind as recent examples, and I hardly even play racing games.

This is clearly nonsense. There have been more than enough titles emphasising fun over realism. Pure, Excite Truck and to a lesser extent Sega Rally spring to mind as recent examples, and I hardly even play racing games.

It is nonsense, but I don't understand why people insist on using 'realism' and 'fun' as opposites when talking about driving games.

Without looking at the list I assume none of Crammonds F1 games or Stunt Car Racer are on there ? >_>

:)

It is nonsense, but I don't understand why people insist on using 'realism' and 'fun' as opposites when talking about driving games.

:)

Well some people like myself would consider realism in racing games dull, well realism to a certain extent. If you're talking about games like Forza and Gran Turismo I'd personally consider them two of the most boring racing games series ever made and just not fun at all but then that's just a personal choice. Personally I'd have Metropolis Street Racer/PGR2 on that list but I'm probably alone on that one.

Well some people like myself would consider realism in racing games dull, well realism to a certain extent. If you're talking about games like Forza and Gran Turismo I'd personally consider them two of the most boring racing games series ever made and just not fun at all but then that's just a personal choice. Personally I'd have Metropolis Street Racer/PGR2 on that list but I'm probably alone on that one.

You're not alone, I'd put MSR on my list, and maybe PGR4.

I know a lot of people don't like realistic driving games, but realism and fun are not opposites and it strikes me as lazy to consider them so. I don't get the whole sims are boring angle really either. I mean, Forza with assists off you have to watch your line constantly, think about each corner going into it, get to the right gear etc, and overtaking is genuinely challenging. Not liking it is fine but it's never boring, it requires far more concentration than OutRun 2, which I also love. That's like a chillout game in comparison.

you aren't alone. PGR2 was the first console racing game to get online completely right.

MotoGP had a broken voicechat system (only being able to talk to whoever is directly either side of you, which made conversations retarded if you, y'know, overtake anyone).

me and a gang of regulars played that game nightly for over 18 months, with some sessions lasting 8-10 hours!

we were all fairly decent at it (all golds with a few all plat players) and ran our own version of the class tables that evened things out greatly, generally using the game as a nightly social hang out.

after this, PGR3 felt dumbed down and far too easy, meaning most of our group gave 4 a miss, which was a shame since it was actually pretty good.

You're not alone, I'd put MSR on my list, and maybe PGR4.

I know a lot of people don't like realistic driving games, but realism and fun are not opposites and it strikes me as lazy to consider them so. I don't get the whole sims are boring angle really either. I mean, Forza with assists off you have to watch your line constantly, think about each corner going into it, get to the right gear etc, and overtaking is genuinely challenging. Not liking it is fine but it's never boring, it requires far more concentration than OutRun 2, which I also love. That's like a chillout game in comparison.

I can understand were you're coming from but to me that is boring, I don't especially enjoy the car handling in those games, it always feels more of a chore than any fun. It's hard to explain and of course those games are multi million sellers but they just rub me the wrong way and I don't enjoy them at all. I'm thinking I just prefer overexaggerated handling and pure speed in a racing game which is why I love Ridge Racer, Burnout, Outrun etc. So whilst it may not true for everyone pure realism in racing games bores me to tears.

Forza 2 for me. It marries the best of sim racing on a console and it rarely gets boring.

If my home setup was right (IE could use my wheel properly), i think Rfactor would pretty much rule but as it doesn't work perfectly with a pad...FAIL.

Micro Machines 96 on the mega drive with it's 2 extra controller ports built into the cartridge was amazing. Had some great multiplayer races with my mates all those years ago.

Gran Turismo was pretty far ahead of it's competitors when it first came out, even if the soundtrack just resulted in you listening to Feeder and Ash over and over.

And you've got to respect the machine you were raised on, 3D Stunt Car Racer on the Amiga was rockin all those years ago when I was too crap to even be able to finish a lap. It looked way more awesome when my dad played it though.

They say it's a classic, that 'gets the balance perfect', and 'is considered the best Burnout ever'. Oh man.

C'mon, not this old argument again? Some people prefer Burnout 2, 3, or any of the others. 3 was the first I played and it's my favourite. Traffic Checking and a coat of brown paint ruined the one after, and the less said about Paradise the better.

Really though, they should have said "Burnout series - except for Paradise" to avoid this.