Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

James Ape

I played this until around chapter 18 last night. I can safely say as long as the quality doesn't dip drastically or something for the rest of the game, this is easily game of the year so far. Easily. And I loved Batman AA (and still do, it's the goddamn batman) and called that my GOTY a few months ago, but this is in another league.

Seriously, in terms of improving upon the last game, this must be one of the greatest video game sequels ever ever made. Not only does it fix near all of the flaws of the last game, it throws in a bunch of awesome things and as a bonus,and is for me, the best looking console game of the generation. Some bits just totally made me go "no fucking way". And to remind everyone, I wasn't one of Drake's Fortunes (UC1) biggest fans, the flaws really got to me in that game- this I absolutely totally love to bits- one of my faves this generation easy.

Incredible

This post is hilarious, it's almost identical to my post from a few pages back. Even referencing Batman as well. :hat:

Man, I had to work all day until midnight, I'm totally gutted I can't continue playing this today. I was fucking daydreaming about this game at work. I can't remember the last time a game made me daydream.. probably back when I was in primary school.

get's a

from Edge.

Review is pretty good for the most apart from this 'could only be Edge' quote

It’s obviously not a firstperson action game, either, which leaves the player feeling much less like he is the hero than is the case in contemporary action classics such as Half-Life 2 and Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare

Wow - Game really do deliver early - my copy awaits me at home ... can't wait ... too excited ... just forwarded the wife this link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGfSBA6_t8k

Which still makes me laugh even though it's not *that* funny, hope she 'thinks it's a movie' as well (or at least is prepared to watch while I play tonight)

Really like these series of ads. I'm pretty sure that picture in the background is of Jack Tretton as well. :hat:

I played this until around chapter 18 last night. I can safely say as long as the quality doesn't dip drastically or something for the rest of the game, this is easily game of the year so far. Easily. And I loved Batman AA (and still do, it's the goddamn batman) and called that my GOTY a few months ago, but this is in another league.

Seriously, in terms of improving upon the last game, this must be one of the greatest video game sequels ever ever made. Not only does it fix near all of the flaws of the last game, it throws in a bunch of awesome things and as a bonus,and is for me, the best looking console game of the generation. Some bits just totally made me go "no fucking way". And to remind everyone, I wasn't one of Drake's Fortunes (UC1) biggest fans, the flaws really got to me in that game- this I absolutely totally love to bits- one of my faves this generation easy.

Incredible

Thanks for the updates.

Because you've mentioned the obvious flaws of the first game, I feel I can really take your comments seriously. Great to hear that is so good. I have been musing for a while that this might be like RE4 in terms of being a game which is completely focused on overwhelming the player with constant action, excitement, variety and set peices. I'm not going to say, hey compare it to that, but just on the surface level it reminds me of that because of the sheer amount of contstant action.

I was serious with the ludonarrative dissonence comment, though. Isn't it made even more grating, on the level this disconnect occurs (ie something at one level removed), what with you now being involved in physically killing breaking people's necks with your hands, something that I think everyone would agree is even more disturbing act to commit on a person human level than firing a gun at someone firing at you?

What an incredibly SH*T stealth section. It's OK when I fail by my own faults, BUT WHEN MY SIDEKICK TRIGGERS THE ALARM WITHOUT ME KNOWING, I'M GETTING MIGHTILY PISSED.

Such a shame, up until then everything was done tremendously. Now I'm already annoyed and in need of something else. Please tell me that's the ONLY stealth section in the game...

I was serious with the ludonarrative dissonence comment, though. Isn't it made even more grating, on the level this disconnect occurs (ie something at one level removed), what with you now being involved in physically killing breaking people's necks with your hands, something that I think everyone would agree is even more disturbing act to commit on a person human level than firing a gun at someone firing at you?

In all fairness, in Uncharted 1 you were shooting mindless drones of badly dressed random folk with guns on a random island, so I can get where you're coming from.

In 2, you're pretty much always fighting mercs/soldiers who work for someone pretty evil. It's a small difference, and the combat is less like dehumanising waves of space invaders and more like taking apart an evil army. I think it'll be less grating if the first got to you.

What an incredibly SH*T stealth section. It's OK when I fail by my own faults, BUT WHEN MY SIDEKICK TRIGGERS THE ALARM WITHOUT ME KNOWING, I'M GETTING MIGHTILY PISSED.

Such a shame, up until then everything was done tremendously. Now I'm already annoyed and in need of something else. Please tell me that's the ONLY stealth section in the game...

It's the only forced stealth section in the game. It's more like a tutorial. My sidekick didn't do that though- in fact throughout the game I've found the AI exceptional so it's a shame it's happened to you, but once you have it down, it'll come in very useful throughout the game. I'm 85% in now, nearly at the end :hat:

In 2, you're pretty much always fighting mercs/soldiers who work for someone pretty evil.

That doesn't really address a significant portion of the problem, ie Drake being a pitliess killing machine, whilst being a wise-cracking, rascally rogue.

Sorry, that sounds like i'm addressing the criticism at you, when of course i'm not, i'm just saying that your response doesn't dismiss the issue that i'm talking about.

This post is hilarious, it's almost identical to my post from a few pages back. Even referencing Batman as well. ;)

Yeah took me a while to catch up with you though. I'm going to finish it later tonight, then maybe start all over again on hard or go treasure hunting in invidual chapters :hat:

That doesn't really address a significant portion of the problem, ie Drake being a pitliess killing machine, whilst being a wise-cracking, rascally rogue.

Sorry, that sounds like i'm addressing the criticism at you, when of course i'm not, i'm just saying that your response doesn't dismiss the issue that i'm talking about.

I know what you mean, I'm saying the issue you have it's still there, but it feels less in your face you know? Just the way Uncharted 1 served up targets for you was a bit weird, it's like they dripped out of invisible pipes. In 2 it all seems to have a purpose, but as you said, he's still a wise cracking dude who has racked up....according to my stats...around 600 bodies so far in 8 hours.

I don't take issue with it though, the medium it's presented in makes that call to be an entertaining game, it does it for my enjoyment as the player, so I'm perfectly happy with it personally.

It's the only forced stealth section in the game. It's more like a tutorial. My sidekick didn't do that though, but once you have it down, it'll come in very useful throughout the game.

God, I hope so. First it teaches you you are nigh invincible during stealth with special moves and then suddenly none of them are allowed! OK, so I'll kick them down.Nope, that triggers the alarm. OK, then I'll sneak past them entirely. Nope, that makes my sidekick trigger the alarm.

It was becoming hilarious when I

snuck up to the guard leaning against the fountain and was actually CLIPPING INTO HIM and he didn't react one bit! Then you circle back around the fountain move past the stairs and LO! Suddenly he notices something!

This is why I hate stealth. All those f*cking sections in every game seem to have been designed with a single solution in mind and if you don't follow it, everything seems to break and splinter apart like glass... GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!

Well, that's been most therapeutic... Let's try again...

I'm in precisely the same boat - the enforced stealth section has got me well and truly stumped. And I had the impression Naughty Dog liked me after Uncharted 1 did everything it possibly could to make the experience as enjoyable as possible - now I'm only on the 2nd level of U2, nothing particularly amazing has happened yet, and I am totally and thoroughly pissed off.

[EDIT] Made it, finally! Pretty much gave up on sneaking around, ran straight at the dude at the top of the stairs and duffed him up, my partner ran past another guard to get to a different one, leaving me to take care of him. In the past this would have counted as us getting spotted and forced a restart, but this time it didn't, for some reason.

I'm in precisely the same boat - the enforced stealth section has got me well and truly stumped. And I had the impression Naughty Dog liked me after Uncharted 1 did everything it possibly could to make the experience as enjoyable as possible - now I'm only on the 2nd level of U2, nothing particularly amazing has happened yet, and I am totally and thoroughly pissed off.

Got it...

Drop down near the fountain, get the one in the back. Then move to the balcony to the right of the fountain and take out the guard there. This is the part that I got stumped on as the guard there will react to everything that might be slightly out of order. Wait till he moves on, take him out and then the other two guys coming in shouldn't be much of a problem.

Unless they move in before you killed the balcony guard of course... :hat:

[EDIT] Made it, finally! Pretty much gave up on sneaking around, ran straight at the dude at the top of the stairs and duffed him up, my partner ran past another guard to get to a different one, leaving me to take care of him. In the past this would have counted as us getting spotted and forced a restart, but this time it didn't, for some reason.

Exactly... I've used that route countless times already, yet each time it managed to give me the feedback that it was wrong somehow.

Wait a sec, this can't be right....

I've unlocked the Bare-Knuckle Brawler Trophy... But I haven't even encountered 20 enemies in total? Let alone knocked them down! What's going on here? Also, my Apprentice Fortune Hunter Trophy is gone?

I'm now starting to think the guards weren't an accident...

Oh, and as soon as the stealth is gone it picks up again. Thank the Lord.

Wait a sec, this can't be right....

I've unlocked the Bare-Knuckle Brawler Trophy... But I haven't even encountered 20 enemies in total? Let alone knocked them down! What's going on here? Also, my Apprentice Fortune Hunter Trophy is gone?

I'm now starting to think the guards weren't an accident...

Oh, and as soon as the stealth is gone it picks up again. Thank the Lord.

Er....yeah none of that sounds right at all.