Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

James Ape

This is probably GotY material, but I'm letting it pass by for now. Don't have any new games lying around yet (which is good, so I can get some work done), but I'll be tearing it up next week with Forza 3, Borderlands and (hopefully) GT PSP and MotorStorm: Arctic Edge.

Well, I have my Uncharted 2/Slim bundle. :hat:

Thats's my evening sorted then.

Hopefully the headset I ordered online will arive soon as well.

Welcome to the club ;) Be sure to pass your PSN! (Or add mine.) And be online on Messenger more often :lol:

My copy from GAME arrived today but I need to finish replaying the first one or it'll be nagging me at the back of my mind :hat: Must...resist

You might as well. Since you feel the same way about U1 as I do, trust me. You'll find it very very difficult to return to it after playing 2.

In a videogame though- just about every main character in any game involving guns is.

Other games often have very different kinds of characters.

Besides, there is a larger discussion to be had about this in relation to other games but I am talking about this game.

The problem does occur in other games to a varying degree, and in different forms, but it really as it perhaps it's most pronounced ever in Uncharted, because we have this sweet, funny, essential 'normal' guy who acts like a terrifyingly calm and collected killer.

We get the whole ''woah, crazy'' line from him when a grenade lands nearby, but he has virtually nothing to say about being constantly almost killed in huge firefights, about battling dozens of armed men and of course killing lots and lots of people. Even if we're charitable and take the games-as-movies angle in terms of suspension of disbelief, and we say instread of 600 guys, in the movie version he'd kill 10 or whatever, it still absolutely stretches to breaking point the idea that this guy is a believable person, or at least one who isn't a stone-cold special-ops bastard.

Nathan decided on treasure hunting after getting tired of killing for Governments, sadly his chosen new career has resulted in even more death by his hand.

Uncharted 3 will see Drake battle the demons his past killings have awakened within.

Hit the X button to ensure the electro shock treatment doesnt end the game.

To me it's incredibly simple. I just look at why the violence is there, and it's not there to develop any characters, tt's there to entertain me. That is it's primary purpose. 600 AI dudes don't die because of Nathan Drake, they die because I'm playing a game that deals a heavy dose of combat in it's gameplay. I can judge the character when I have no control over him such as in cutscenes, and he's far from a homicidal maniac then. He's a good guy in the cutscenes- I just use this good guy to do a lot of killing bad guys.

I think someone like Nico is genuinely way worse. His cutscenes show him full of regret but the very same cutscenes show him accepting pretty violent jobs from criminals- that's completely outside of taking the GTA gameplay itself into account. Nate is consistent in his image.

It's something of a hollow point considering one of your own favourite games is Max Payne, Smitty. The lines might be more dour in their delivery but he still cracks and kills his way through hundreds of people. It's an inconsistency present in pretty much every action game, lest all their ending sequences involve court cases and second degree murder charges.

I do agree with Smitty that it's weird here though...

Drake gets incredibly touchy on the subject on killing guards, despite knocking the shit out of them (and, you know, surviving Uncharted DF), but then 'accepts' the idea of tranq-guns. ONLY TO PULL A GUARD OVER THE EDGE TO HIS DOOM, minutes later. I don't mind the killing, I do mind a character changing his morals on a whim and for no apparent reasons.

I do agree with Smitty that it's weird here though...

Drake gets incredibly touchy on the subject on killing guards, despite knocking the shit out of them (and, you know, surviving Uncharted DF), but then 'accepts' the idea of tranq-guns. ONLY TO PULL A GUARD OVER THE EDGE TO HIS DOOM, minutes later. I don't mind the killing, I do mind a character changing his morals on a whim and for no apparent reasons.

Ha yeah thats true.

To be fair though you can see why he didn't want to kill them overall. They're musuem guards, not mercenaries The ones from DF were all illegal guerilla types!

Ha yeah thats true.

To be fair though you can see why he didn't want to kill them overall. They're musuem guards, not mercenaries The ones from DF were all illegal guerilla types!

He doesn't kill any of the museum guards, the one Drake pulls over the edge falls into water. You can see him swimming away afterwards

He doesn't kill any of the museum guards, the one Drake pulls over the edge falls into water. You can see him swimming away afterwards

Oh shit yeah, I forgot about that. So no inconsistency there- be gone nitpickers! ;)

Just finished replaying the first Uncharted from first

zombie

combat bit to the end. So basically the worst bit of the game :hat: Now to squeeze in a couple of hours of Uncharted 2.

I'll be interested in hearing if and how much better you find it so fresh after finishing 1

I'm on chapter 26.

This is truly an amazing game but there is a huge contradiction that I can't shake of and has been mentioned in here too: Naughty Dog does everything in its power to make Drake and others appear human (in movie terms at least) and then makes them do super human things, all the time.

I can understand Drake getting his way out of an amazing set piece, like Indiana Jones for example, but his constant jumping of ledges, holding on to tiny stones and single handedly eliminating an entire army of mercenaries is simply ridiculous. Every other character in videogames with the same abilities as Drake has been a super hero or a mutant hero or a mythical Prince or something along those lines.

For God's sake, jumping across a gap and getting caught the last minute by your companion should not be a common thing. :hat:

True, Lara suffers from the same contradictions more or less, but she kills way less people and her acrobatics can be accepted (barely) as result of her training. Also, Indiana Jones kills way less people too.

Drake behaves like a super hero or Rambo on steroids in every possible way, yet Naughty Dog does their best to make him normal. In that regard, Drake's realistic persona is a complete failure and his image is everything but constant. He is, though, an amazing to watch and listen videogame character.

Besides, after chapter 20 I think the battles happen more frequently and the actual platform or puzzle elements take a back seat. I wouldn't mind if the actual shooting was at Halo levels but here they grow tiresome. They are not bad but they happen far too often and they are not very smart.

Nevertheless, I think the above is something of an "academic" approach.

It goes without saying that as a videogame is indeed a rare and precious experience.

Aha... It has 'secondary' achievements that don't unlock Trophies but add money. How drole...

Still that doesn't explain my 20 fisticuffs without meeting that many enemies...

I'm pretty sure that everything is accumulative; even if you die/get caught and have to redo a section you don't lose the kills stats that you had.

I think that's how it works.

The more I play it, the more I want it to just be a film...

Combat seems a bit off. Can't put my finger on it. Feels less in control as the first and comes across as loose sand. And despite being at Chapter 4 it feels like I'm still in tutorial land... Maybe I am though. :hat: Onwards.

I'm pretty sure that everything is accumulative; even if you die/get caught and have to redo a section you don't lose the kills stats that you had.

I think that's how it works.

Well, then the only solution can be that stealth-takedowns are considered hand-to-hand combat as well. Which is odd as they have a separate trophy.

[edit] Anyway, I'll shut up now. Will be back around chapter 13 or something like that.

Well, then the only solution can be that stealth-takedowns are considered hand-to-hand combat as well. Which is odd as they have a separate trophy.

I haven't played the game yet, but yeah a stealth-takedown should be considered hand-to-hand combat and be counted towards that achievement unless he uses a knife or silenced pistol or something, which I'm guessing he doesn't. But not every hand-to-hand combat victory is necessarily a stealth-takedown, hence the separate trophy for stealth-takedowns. To me it makes perfect sense :hat:

Yeah, stealth counts as fisticuffs, don't sweat it.

Everyone who's up to chapter 8 - make sure you check out Drake's notebook thoroughly. :hat:

Just did it myself very amusing. forced myself to stop at Chapter 9, in the spirit of the neogaf thread Holy shit I cannot find fault with this.