IGNORED

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

James Ape

It does get better after the first three chapters, right? Because what I've played so far has felt very fragmented. I feel like I'm only half-playing in a way.

Yes, it really picks up a good few chapters in. I loved the first few chapters personally. Maybe they won't be great for repeat play, but I enjoyed the variety and change of pace loads. Once you get to around 5 or 6 I think, I can't remember for sure, it goes on a more consistent pace.

Havent got this yet, and really looking forward to it, but I agree with Smitty. The combat in the original really conflicted with the story and characters. I started playing the game with my daughter and was really enjoying it until it basically turned into a murder sim. I would rather there were combat puzzles throughout where drake had to navigate enemies without ever killing anyone.

Jeez, the graphics in Nepal are just astounding. I was basically standing at on top of a building for ages, looking in every direction and just being amazed how far graphics have come. Why is Naughty Dog operating on a level that is so far ahead of everyone else? And no tearing in sight. Just amazing.

As is the game. I'm playing on Hard (and switched off the hints) and basically every firefight is pure joy. The AI is damn aggressive and pretty far from dumb. They seek cover, the flank, the flush you out with grenades... Good stuff. Much, much better than the battles in Gears of War, which is perhaps the game it can be best compared to (if Gears of War had platforming and snappy writing that is). I wonder how hard Crushing will be.

I'm with Uzi, the first few chapters were lovely. The train especially (it would probably be a cutscene in most games, but is interactive here) and the change of pace that follows the rather action packed opening. And the best snow ever. :hat:

Easily the best game I played this year. Sorry Batman. I had to force myself to stop playing. ;)

I've been playing Uncharted for quite some time now - at no point have I ever had the concern that I'm a rampant murderer... certainly no worse than any other game.

AND IT'S A HOOT!

Well, he only seems to kill when he has to, which is basically when it becomes a matter of kill or be killed. I liked how they refused to kill the innocent guards in the museum. Everybody who gets killed in this game had it coming.

And it's fun as well. Some of the best shotty action in ages. This washes the rather disappointing taste of Resi 5 out of my mouth. :hat:

What's everybody's fave weapon? For me it's the shotgun so far.

Damn, I could talk about the little details all day. He's such a brilliantly animated character. The way he stumbles when a car explodes behind him or how he uses his arm to shield his face when walking past fire...

It's glorious. One can only hope all Sony's bed partners will use this technology.

What's everybody's fave weapon? For me it's the shotgun so far.

Sniper Rifle for me :hat: You get it use it a good few times in the latter part of the game and it's just so satisfying blowing guys away with each shot.

I'm at 93% now, so nearing the end, and I really don't want it to, it's been incredible. I have that feeling when I knew I was getting to the end of Resident Evil 4 for the first time where thinking back to all the awesome moments are just a massive blur of amazingess- so great that I can't focus on individual ones.

Sniper Rifle for me :lol: You get it use it a good few times in the latter part of the game and it's just so satisfying blowing guys away with each shot.

I'm at 93% now, so nearing the end, and I really don't want it to, it's been incredible. I have that feeling when I knew I was getting to the end of Resident Evil 4 for the first time where thinking back to all the awesome moments are just a massive blur of amazingess- so great that I can't focus on individual ones.

I was the same with that, thats a great comparison! Looking forward to getting this tomorrow.

Are any high st retailers selling this now?

Yay, Shop-to copy just landed on my doormat, and im working from home today. Cracking service tbh, and first time I have used them.

Must resist turning on my PS3, as I have crap loads of work to do

Ahem, maybe just a quick go.. :lol:

Fuuuuuck! Thought I'd cheekily check out the multiplayer before going to work, so I played a regular deathmatch (which is, by the way, full of headless chickens. :lol:) and then the Nepal co-op map, which was on the beta. Good news to anyone who's played the beta - the beta version was only half of it!

Ahh, the grin on my face is about a mile wide.

Mine should arrive today but I got a works meal/evening with a few other companies in town tonight :lol: So no playing until I get back late/drunk. So I might as well leave it for tomorrow, but tomorrow I go to London for the weekend.

So Monday evening it is :blah:

No, it doesn't. :lol:

In fact doesnt Nathan make a funny about "please no zombies"

Just been doing the rounds in work telling everyone just how awesome this game is. I agree with Vemsie about Nepal too, I stood on the roof of the hotel and the view is just staggering.

Funniest game I've played in a longtime too. Lol'd a few times and its not forced in the slightest. Outside the temple in Nepal, Nathans look and response to Jeff IIRC,(the cameraman) was a highlight so far.

Yeah I heard that a lot of the voice acting is ad-libbed and what they'd do is have Nolan North watch someone playing the game and just make random comments/observations that they then use.

Amy Hennig is amazing, there's an interview with her on Giantbomb, she's like everything a girl in the industry SHOULD be.

It's glorious. One can only hope all Sony's bed partners will use this technology.

This needs shouting from the rooftops. Will ND licence their engine out I wonder? Haven't seen any signs of it from Uncharted 1, but then years ago didn't they share tech with Insomniac Games to help with the creation of Ratchet & Clank?

I played up to the beginning of Chapter 5 last night. It's good but I'd be lying if I said I felt there was a huge leap so far over the first. It's kinda more of the same with slightly more memorable set-pieces and some lite stealth. Chapters 3 and 4 felt little different to most of the first game. Long way to go though obviously and from the little I saw of chapter 5 it looked stunning.

This needs shouting from the rooftops. Will ND licence their engine out I wonder? Haven't seen any signs of it from Uncharted 1, but then years ago didn't they share tech with Insomniac Games to help with the creation of Ratchet & Clank?

They share tech with a lot of devs. They thank various in the credits - Insomniac, Sucker Punch, even Bungie.

Don't worry you haven't seen anything yet. :lol:

Well, you did and I personally loved the train section. While I dug all the chapters, the jungle was probably my least fave so far. Looks great though, but everything in this game does.

The new combat mechanics really come into their own from chapter 5 (I think) onwards.

I can't stress how much better the combat is in Hard mode though. In fact, I'd be hard pressed to find a better third person combat action game. I really can't think of one and I played quite a lot of them as they're probably my fave genre.

I got my copy yesterday. The Limited Collector's Edition in a fancy steelbook case. But I get my new PS3 next week so I can't play the game yet :blah:

So what I'm doing at the moment is reading this thread, looking regularly at the steelbook case just to appreciate how lovely it is, and then I'm reading the manual - which is a nice and informative manual. It smells good too.

It's very sad isn't it? :lol:

I got my copy yesterday. The Limited Collector's Edition in a fancy steelbook case. But I get my new PS3 next week so I can't play the game yet :(

So what I'm doing at the moment is reading this thread, looking regularly at the steelbook case just to appreciate how lovely it is, and then I'm reading the manual - which is a nice and informative manual. It smells good too.

It's very sad isn't it? :lol:

Your doing well, I was expecting a mention of how the 360 just cant do manuals like the PS3 :blah:

On about chapter 13 now and it just keeps on giving, I just spent about 2 hours to find a good place to stop and save it but it just keeps throwing exciting set piece after set piece at you. I love how you never really get stuck in the game, never been confused for more than a couple of minutes. if you want, there is usually a hint available that you can take or ignore. I usually ignore them and try figure it out myself but if I'm spending more than 2 minutes looking for the solution I just take the hint. This is how I like to play games these days.