Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

James Ape

See, that didn't affect me. I just sat there, watched the screen and went, "OK... this part is probably falling but I can't see shit because of the claustrophobic camera."

Sure it's technically accomplished and impressive, it just doesn't add anything to the enjoyment of the game for me. The banter more than makes up for that though. I just don't see the appeal in the graphics with this game. Not that they are a problem. God no. They just don't make me up my personal score for the game.

Putting

Chloe, Elena and Drake in a room for half an hour babbling to each other

would, though. :blah:

I had no problem at all with the camera. But then again, I played the shit out of Ninja Gaiden 2. :(

Well, to me the graphics and animation especially add a whole lot to my enjoyment. And not just the stunning blockbuster movie moments either, it's the little things that can really add so much to a game. I really can't remember the last game in which I stood still for ages just marveling at the view.

But you can't really argue about things like this. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder anyway. :lol:

Absolutely. I loved the whole sequence leading up to that with

the pool and stunning view, the descend by zipline and the heli destroying bits of scenery left and right. And then that scene happens... Stunning. Another bit I really loved was the bit where he ran towards the screen while shooting at the truck behind him. The way he reacted to the truck exploding... Astounding animation. He really reacts to what's going on around him, instead of canned animations being used over and over again.

Seriously, how can you not be impressed by the graphics in this?

Agree with every point. Another bit I laughed at in Nepal

The roof top swimming pool and MARCO

Wish I was home, and cant see me playing tonight either, as I've gotta get up early tomorrow to get into work early, so I can have half day to play Uncharted 2. So it works out in the end

Smitty if it really upsets you then just don't play it.

Soong, it doesn't upset me, let alone really. I am making a critical observation of a game.

I know what you're game is - go and bark at someone else. This is discussion forum, not a breathless praise only for games Soong is interested in forum.

I'm having am interesting discussion with several people and all you've got to say don't play the game, shut up.

I think I'll do whatever I so wish - which at this point includes playing this game, because it looks fun, these issues not withstanding. I find it tedious to have to explain this.

Has anybody noticed sync problems with the audio in the cutscenes? Someone told me that he's noticing a lot of audio sync problems with the game, but as I understood it, it was only in the cutscenes.

I completed the game early this morning and couldn't see and sync problems at all

I finished this last night before I went to sleep and just go to read some of the criticisms here. I understand some of them, but there were just too many positive things. I defy anyone to judge the graphics until they get nearer to the end of the game, there is some insanely stunning stuff.

Anyway, it took around 11 hours- what a ride that was. I absolutely adored it- this is the best action adventure game I've played since Resident Evil 4, it's just so beautifully crafted into a relentless adventure with so many moments, humour, personality, action, locations- I completely adored it :lol: I think it's absolutely incredible- one of my fave games this gen easily.

Soong, it doesn't upset me, let alone really. I am making a critical observation of a game.

I know what you're game is - go and bark at someone else. This is discussion forum, not a breathless praise only for games Soong is interested in forum.

I'm having am interesting discussion with several people and all you've got to say don't play the game, shut up.

I think I'll do whatever I so wish - which at this point includes playing this game, because it looks fun, these issues not withstanding. I find it tedious to have to explain this.

Yeah but people are here wanting to talk about their time with the game whilst you're here, like in other threads, repeating the same negative point over and over.

If you jump back in again

you get the Polo award and another 5k :lol:

Darn, I missed that. ;)

Will replay again.

In fact, this is one game I think I'll often replay. Not just because I want to test myself on Crushing, but just to experience the amazing sights, sounds and set pieces again. :)

Yeah but people are here wanting to talk about their time with the game whilst you're here, like in other threads, repeating the same negative point over and over.

I'm all for smitty exercising his right to have his own views on Uncharted or Uncharted 2 but maybe he should start seperate threads like "today Smitty whinges (on and on) about the potentially game breaking :lol: minor issue of Nathan Drake killing too many baddies in Uncharted 2" ;)

Just done the second chapter.

"There's a guy just above you!"

"There's a guy just below you"

:lol:

It really is a funny, well written game. Is it all Amy Henning's work? If so, we need more people like her and perhaps less Jade Raymonds. Though I would. Obviously.

Knowing when it'll arrive for everyone is clearly important or so many wouldn't be talking about it!

Well, there is a thread in this very forum specifically for that sort of chatter. But clearly your argument that people only talk about things of interest to others is flawed when we have such wonderful gems as these:

The import shop by me is getting their stock today. I'm crossing my fingers as I could be playing tonight ;)
ps3 and this for me come friday i think - oh lord
ON the off chance that a store just might have it on the shelves later on today, I'll have a little trawl around after work...so very desperate to play this now!
Well with this and Ratchet & Clank I feel my PS3 may get some long overdue exercise for a change.
Gah why did I have to be skint and have to rely on trade-ins to buy this - any other time I'd have it in my grubby mitts now.
I have a copy put away in my local import shop. I can.see it costing me both my trades but I just dont care. Come on 4.00
Ugh!!! Whenever I buy a big new exciting game the sun comes out so I can't play it properly until evening.

..and the best one:

I got my copy yesterday. The Limited Collector's Edition in a fancy steelbook case. But I get my new PS3 next week so I can't play the game yet :)

So what I'm doing at the moment is reading this thread, looking regularly at the steelbook case just to appreciate how lovely it is, and then I'm reading the manual - which is a nice and informative manual. It smells good too.

It's very sad isn't it? :lol:

All totally informative, relevant, and down-right thrilling information related specifically to the videogame Uncharted 2. It certainly doesn't double the amount of time I have to read the thread by skipping through blog-like shit to find out what the game's like, oh no.

Only put an hour into it, but it's certainly something special. The opening was just amazing, a real scene setter for what looks to be an epic adventure. Looking forward to getting into some online action tonight.

Damn, I forgot about the online. :lol:

Still haven't received my headset. ;)

Ah crap, this really has a 90/10 split in terms of shooting/exploration for me... I think this is excellent for CoD players who enjoy the entire scripted stuff, but I'm started to get bored. Every time the game seems to imply some degree of freedom I'm being yanked back on the chain and have to walk the obvious path again. I'm moving from set-piece to set-piece.

Now I prefer adventures over action games, but Drake's Fortune managed a nice blend of both. This seems to want to get rid of the adventure part. Well, unless Naughty Dog thought that 'single-route climbing' was all that's needed to give it an adventurous streak.

Don't get me wrong, it's a really good game, just don't get this expecting it to finally finish Lara Croft. It seems the game already expects her dead as it's now aiming for Marcus' cogtags. In terms of a cinematic action-shooter, this is unparalleled though. The amount of stuff it slings at you does get quite bizarre.

The train-ride was a long arduous corridor fight, but it did feel cool while doing it with some truly insane stuff going on.

So yeah, while I can see how this scored 10/10's, personally I'm more hovering between 7 and 8.

It sums up this generation's favourite game quite nicely.

That's bizarre- to me Drake's Fortune had way more of a heavy hand in just dumping fat chunks of combat on you- then a little platformer bit- than more combat and so forth. This seems way more paced out with set pieces keeping it from becoming a tired pattern. There was never much freedom in the first game either, so I'm not sure what you were expecting

Also- theres plenty of secret nooks and crannies with treasures to find through exploration.

There was pretty much no freedom in Uncharted 1. The degree of freedom it allowed you was basically wandering around a corner to find some badly hidden treasure. It was even far more relentlessly linear than something like Resi 4 or HL2. IDGI.

There was pretty much no freedom in Uncharted 1. The degree of freedom it allowed you was basically wandering around a corner to find some badly hidden treasure. It was even far more relentlessly linear than something like Resi 4 or HL2. IDGI.

Yeah exactly, Uncharted 1 was as linear as linear gets. 2 is not different, but they make the single path you take filled with much more action.

That's bizarre- to me Drake's Fortune had way more of a heavy hand in just dumping combat on you- then a little platformer bit- than more combat. This seems way more paced out. There was never much freedom in the first game either, so I'm not sure what you were expecting

That's what it did fine in the first. There was already a focus on combat, but it would alternate with larger chunks of exploration and even throw in a light mental challenge here and there. In this one, I'm getting large chunks of combat, then a paper-thin diversion separating it from another chunk of combat. So far I've only traversed one environment where I'd get the idea I was 'fighting' the environment rather than humans.

I simply want some tomb raiding I suppose. :lol: It's fine that there is another side trying to get the treasure with me having to gun-sling my way through, but I feel like I'm only allowed just that at the moment. More ancient creaky mechanical trap-filled tombs please!