Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

James Ape

I simply want some tomb raiding I suppose. :lol: It's fine that there is another side trying to get the treasure with me having to gun-sling my way through, but I feel like I'm only allowed the latter.

How far are you? You'll get your wish a bit later I think

Cheers Uzi, I did get that and you dont need to jump back in at least I'm sure I got it, just by swimming back and forth. Could be wrong though.

Ah maybe I didn't stay in long enough the first time

Ah crap, this really has a 90/10 split in terms of shooting/exploration for me... I think this is excellent for CoD players who enjoy the entire scripted stuff, but I'm started to get bored. Every time the game seems to imply some degree of freedom I'm being yanked back on the chain and have to walk the obvious path again. I'm moving from set-piece to set-piece.

Now I prefer adventures over action games, but Drake's Fortune managed a nice blend of both. This seems to want to get rid of the adventure part. Well, unless Naughty Dog thought that 'single-route climbing' was all that's needed to give it an adventurous streak.

Don't get me wrong, it's a really good game, just don't get this expecting it to finally finish Lara Croft. It seems the game already expects her dead as it's now aiming for Marcus' cogtags. In terms of a cinematic action-shooter, this is unparalleled though. The amount of stuff it slings at you does get quite bizarre.

The train-ride was a long arduous corridor fight, but it did feel cool while doing it with some truly insane stuff going on.

So yeah, while I can see how this scored 10/10's, personally I'm more hovering between 7 and 8.

It sums up this generation's favourite game quite nicely.

The first game is also 90% combat, with the occasional break of a simple puzzle or entirely linear platform section.

The first game is a linear action game, I still don't know where people got this Adventure game preconception from.

I got a two-hour window tonight to play it, I'm starting chapter 3... when does it start letting you off the leash a bit as I was playing at lunch and it was pretty much cut-scene/tutorial/cut-scene, which isn't ideal when you're in a rush.

All totally informative, relevant, and down-right thrilling information related specifically to the videogame Uncharted 2. It certainly doesn't double the amount of time I have to read the thread by skipping through blog-like shit to find out what the game's like, oh no.

Cheers for quoting those posts! Like a highlight reel, woooooo!

Playing with the 'yeti'.

And by the Lord I hope so.

Ah well maybe you won't then- that level with the lack of combat, ice caves, platforming felt very tomb raidery to me. Prepare for loads more combat soon- it's pretty much non stop until the end

I got a two-hour window tonight to play it, I'm starting chapter 3... when does it start letting you off the leash a bit as I was playing at lunch and it was pretty much cut-scene/tutorial/cut-scene, which isn't ideal when you're in a rush.

Chapter 5/6 is when things really get going

Ah well maybe you won't then- that level with the lack of combat, ice caves, platforming felt very tomb raidery to me. Prepare for loads more combat soon- it's pretty much non stop until the end

:lol:

Well, enjoy it peeps! I'll be leaving this thread now before I make it any more miserable.

Holy crap! You didn't tell me there was an entire TEMPLE WITH OLD CREAKY MECHANICAL STUFF right there when I turned the corner!

\o/ WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Cheers for quoting those posts! Like a highlight reel, woooooo!

From Chapter 3 onwards IIRC. Here's hoping this post meets sprites exacting standards :lol:

I don't know what chapter you are on but there is an insanely amount of combat in the last 5 or so chapters.

Yeah it's pretty relentless with the combat at the end. Again though, I remember 1 being the same with loads of fighting/shooting at the end

I can understand the feeling that some people want less combat. I personally don't mind it all, because the combat is brilliantly done. Better than Resi 4 I think, mainly because it's a lot more versatile. There is actually quite a lot of freedom during these battles, especially when there is a lot of ground to cover. I think it's paced very nicely and the climbing around buildings, through trains and whatnot breaks up the shootouts quite nicely.

It's nothing like Tomb Raider though, but to me that's not a bad thing. So I can see where Cyh is coming from and he's at least classy enough to recognize the qualities of the gaming, instead of calling it crap because it isn't all he hoped for.

I basically see it as a Resi 4 style game with more variation. Or Gears of War with added platforming and wit. It's a roller coaster ride, complete with the slow build up and fast drops.

Oh and the enemies aint bullet sponges anymore.

Well, they are, which is ridiculous. But it's generally better than U1.

At least they have the decency to wear body armor this time. :lol:

Yeah it's pretty relentless with the combat at the end. Again though, I remember 1 being the same with loads of fighting/shooting at the end

I think U1 was worse actually.

I can understand the feeling that some people want less combat. I personally don't mind it all, because the combat is brilliantly done.

In this context of a game a more balanced approach to shooting/puzzling would work much, much better.

Uzi, time to do another podcast? :lol:

At chapter 23 now,

I wonder how many people will moan about those beast things? I didn't mind but then I also didn't mind the alien/zombie things in the first game.

Some random thoughts...

Naughty Dog are really good as making the most out of their assets. They have you going in and out of the level but tie it into the story so it never feels like forced backtracking and often make changes to the game design to make it feel different even though it's just reusing the same old assets. The 'flashback' was another nicely constructed method to reuse assets.

Also something else, the cover areas rarely stick out and mostly seem natural. You don't see a wall just out there on it's own, it's always connecting somehow to the level design or has props around it that ground it in reality.

What a beautiful, beautiful game. :lol:

Trudging through the snow at the start felt totally convincing, there's just so much love put in to the and even only after a hour or so play, it's made me laugh on a few occasions.

I can understand the feeling that some people want less combat. I personally don't mind it all, because the combat is brilliantly done. Better than Resi 4 I think, mainly because it's a lot more versatile. There is actually quite a lot of freedom during these battles, especially when there is a lot of ground to cover. I think it's paced very nicely and the climbing around buildings, through trains and whatnot breaks up the shootouts quite nicely.

Thats my point really I enjoyed U1 and the combat, but initially found it tough and there was loads of it.

This time around Naughty Dog have considered it a lot more, broken it up, made it enjoyable.

In this context of a game a more balanced approach to shooting/puzzling would work much, much better.

Would it though? It's pretty much the most acclaimed game of this gen with a select few other games. It must work for an awful lot of people.

I actually think there's enough downtime when playing, but I'll also admit this type of game really appeals to me. Great set piece a bit of downtime. Three great setpieces, a bit of downtime. Ten great set pieces. Etc.

It's basically what I missed from Dead Space. Great game, but it basically stayed the same. There wasn't any variation in its gameplay and set pieces. And you played a guy who was boring as fuck.

It's just that I believe Naughty Dog wanted to make their own Resi 4 or Gears, and not another Tomb Raider or Metroid. If that was indeed their motivation, they succeeded brilliantly. I'm glad they created a new IP insetad of continuing Jak and Daxter.

And surely enemies aren't bullet sponges? Headshots, folks. Or one shotgun blast up close. :lol:

No that's it. If you just hit to the chest it can take up to 4 or even 5 which was just a bit weird considering they were essentially wearing safari gear. One shot to the head drops them though.

If they were modelled in a bulletproof vest it would have been fine, just looked a bit wrong.

what's all this chat about bullet sponges? I'm playing U1 just now - on Chapter 5 - the Fortress (jaw dropping btw) - and you can kill all the basts with 3 shots from the pistol...

... or am I yet to see it?

You also aint got to the bit's where its nothing but combat section followed by more combat sections got a bit repetative I thought.

Climbing to the fortress was one of my highlights of U1

Also something else, the cover areas rarely stick out and mostly seem natural. You don't see a wall just out there on it's own, it's always connecting somehow to the level design or has props around it that ground it in reality.

Good point. Gears (or Epic really) could learn a thing or two about that.

You also aint got to the bit's where its nothing but combat section followed by more combat sections got a bit repetative I thought.

Climbing to the fortress was one of my highlights of U1

tbh - it seems to be combat setpiece followed by combat setpiece just now anyway... but doesn't bother me, because it's great fun.

The only thing I'd like to have seen is target lock on. I've died a few times as I don't turn quick enough when holding down L1.

Would it though? It's pretty much the most acclaimed game of this gen with a select few other games. It must work for an awful lot of people.

That doesn't really say much, does it?

I am not saying to make this a tomb raider clone, but a little more difficult puzzles and thinking would really hit the sweet spot. This is the really the only flaw of the game for me.

It's just that I believe Naughty Dog wanted to make their own Resi 4 or Gears, and not another Tomb Raider or Metroid. If that was indeed their motivation, they succeeded brilliantly. I'm glad they created a new IP insetad of continuing Jak and Daxter.

This is quite a weird quote. Surely resi 4 and goW clones are ten a penny, wheras Metroid and Tomb Raider alikes are much fewer and more gratefully received. I'd much rather something a bit different than another 3rd person actioner, no matter how well executed.

Can speak for the full version of U2, i've only played the demo...

but, as I've always said in the Uncharted thread, the first game really is just Gears of War with some new Trousers on.

A different setting, but it's the same sort of 3rd person action game that is VERY heavy on combat with some variation thrown in to prevent fatigue.

Combat is the Crux of the game. how can someone dislike it yet speak highly of Uncharted?

It has little in common with Tomb Raider in a mechanical sense, sure the themes and settings are similar. The platforming in Uncharted is simplistic and automatic, with no means to explore.

That doesn't really say much, does it?

Well, it's saying that many people enjoy it as it is, which probably means Uncharted 3 won't deviate much from the winning formula. It's all a bit hypothetical to say the game would have been better if it had more of this or less of that, because we don't have that. We have the game as it is, which I presume was the game ND wanted to make.

And that's the game I'm popping in my PS3 tonight to enjoy.

Which - as I said earlier - doesn't mean that I can't understand the people who would've liked less combat and more exploration. To each his own.

But I'm sure Eidos is hard at work making another Tomb Raider.

:lol:

This is quite a weird quote. Surely resi 4 and goW clones are ten a penny, wheras Metroid and Tomb Raider alikes are much fewer and more gratefully received. I'd much rather something a bit different than another 3rd person actioner, no matter how well executed.

Uncharted is one of the most loved IP's of this generation though. It's far better received than the next-gen Tomb Raiders. That you want it to be a different game than the one Naughty Dog wanted to make doesn't change that fact.

Again, I'm not saying that people can't wish for something else. There is no game - not one - that will please everyone. But there is no denying this struck a big chord with a lot of gamers.

And while Resi and Gears may have been templates, I also think ND definitely made it their own. Both in terms of gameplay and writing.

The first game is also 90% combat, with the occasional break of a simple puzzle or entirely linear platform section.

The first game is a linear action game, I still don't know where people got this Adventure game preconception from.

Mainly from how it started. The first game had 90 minutes of awesome Indiana Jones style storytelling, that then tragically fell away. It was still a great game, but for a while it looked like it was actually a grown up adventure/story game that had put the guns away. I want that game.