Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

James Ape

Mainly from how it started. The first game had 90 minutes of awesome Indiana Jones style storytelling, that then tragically fell away. It was still a great game, but for a while it looked like it was actually a grown up adventure/story game that had put the guns away. I want that game.

agree completely with you. Or at least let me have the option to dial out most of the shoot outs.

Uncharted is one of the most loved IP's of this generation though. It's far better received than the next-gen Tomb Raiders. That you want it to be a different game than the one Naughty Dog wanted to make doesn't change that fact.

Again, I'm not saying that people can't wish for something else. There is no game - not one - that will please everyone. But there is no denying this struck a big chord with a lot of gamers.

And while Resi and Gears may have been templates, I also think ND definitely made it their own. Both in terms of gameplay and writing.

Definately- I think the balance of everything in 2 suits the game perfectly. After finishing it I couldn't imagine more puzzles and stuff in there- I think it had plenty to fit the theme or the world to satisfaction.

I thought U1 was considered a bit of a flop?

It sold ok LTD wise- it came out in 2007 when the install base was tiny and when the PS3 was expensive and had a very negative image. Considering those it did pretty well. 2 should sell much better.

There simply wasn't the installed base to do U1 the justice and the console was too expensive to make it a game worth buying the console for.

That's changed now... I saw U2 coming out and combined with how much I enjoyed my initial limited play through of U1, I decided it was time to get a PS3 and U1 (which I got for 9 quid).

U1 so far gets a very Indiana Jones feel... Indy is an action hero. Tons of people get shot to bits across in Indy 1 and 3... I enjoy the combat and I enjoy the setting. Yes, I enjoy it more than Gears of War and that's purely down to the look and feel and characters. I'm shallow.

Probably not the right place to say this and I sure as hell will play Uncharted 2 and enjoy it as a shooter first and formost. The thing is the very first tombraider was split between being a puzzler, an explorer/acrobatics/climbing/diving thingy and a (mainly animal/beast) shooter and you could say that the game was split evenly between each element. Metroid Prime was split more 20% puzzling 35% exploration and 45% shooting give or take. Like kerraig I would love to death any game that could provide that mix with the graphics, style, story and panache of Uncharted 2. Maybe another game will do it soon :lol:

I thought U1 was considered a bit of a flop?

It sold over 2.6 million copies world wide and got great reviews from both critics and gamers. That's hardly a flop, especially when you consider how the PS3 was doing in its first years.

And yes, part 2 will do far, far better.

Probably not the right place to say this and I sure as hell will play Uncharted 2 and enjoy it as a shooter first and formost. The thing is the very first tombraider was split between being a puzzler, an explorer/acrobatics/climbing/diving thingy and a (mainly animal/beast) shooter and you could say that the game was split evenly between each element. Metroid Prime was split more 20% puzzling 35% exploration and 45% shooting give or take. Like kerraig I would love to death any game that could provide that mix with the graphics, style, story and panache of Uncharted 2. Maybe another game will do it soon :lol:

Uncharted is one of the most loved IP's of this generation though. It's far better received than the next-gen Tomb Raiders. That you want it to be a different game than the one Naughty Dog wanted to make doesn't change that fact.

Actually vemsie, i've seen you trot out this kind of defense before when i've criticised Quentin Tarantino and also maybe even Roland Emmerich films and stuff. A bunch of people loving a game doesn't make it beyond criticism. Lots of things in this world are popular, successful and well received. That doesnt mean though that they couldn't be better. If unchartered had slightly less guns and a few mor clever puzzles or sexy open ended platforming bits people might love it EVEN MORE than they already do. That they accept and enjoy it as it is doesn't mean that they couldn't possibly enjoy it any more.

U1 so far gets a very Indiana Jones feel... Indy is an action hero. Tons of people get shot to bits across in Indy 1 and 3... I enjoy the combat and I enjoy the setting. Yes, I enjoy it more than Gears of War and that's purely down to the look and feel and characters. I'm shallow.

Nothing shallow about that and Uncharted at least has great dialogue and characters, which is quite rare if you're not playing a game from Tim Schafer or Rockstar. I'm sure many people want a really originial and creative first person shooter as well, but that won't stop most of the gamer's population from enjoying Modern Warfare 2. :lol:

Actually vemsie, i've seen you trot out this kind of defense before when i've criticised Quentin Tarantino and also maybe even Roland Emmerich films and stuff. A bunch of people loving a game doesn't make it beyond criticism. Lots of things in this world are popular, successful and well received. That doesnt mean though that they couldn't be better. If unchartered had slightly less guns and a few mor clever puzzles or sexy open ended platforming bits people might love it EVEN MORE than they already do. That they accept and enjoy it as it is doesn't mean that they couldn't possibly enjoy it any more.

I never said it was beyond criticism, in fact if you'd read my posts you see that I can understand these sentiments, I've mentioned it multiple times. All I'm saying is that it's all a bit hypothetical to use words like 'if ' and ' perhaps'. We simply don't know if people would've enjoyed it more or less if Uncharted wasn't the game it is today. Some probably would, others probably wouldn't.

And Roland Emmerich? Where the hell does that come from? :lol:

Can speak for the full version of U2, i've only played the demo...

but, as I've always said in the Uncharted thread, the first game really is just Gears of War with some new Trousers on.

A different setting, but it's the same sort of 3rd person action game that is VERY heavy on combat with some variation thrown in to prevent fatigue.

Combat is the Crux of the game. how can someone dislike it yet speak highly of Uncharted?

It has little in common with Tomb Raider in a mechanical sense, sure the themes and settings are similar. The platforming in Uncharted is simplistic and automatic, with no means to explore.

Because it's really nothing special. That is why it is tiresome to have it all the time in the game.

I speak highly of U2 because it is an experience, with good story, amazing graphics and pace and glorious, glorious set pieces. It is also funny and very charming.

You can't possibly believe that combat is what makes U2 such a good game? It's serviceable, nothing more.

There simply wasn't the installed base to do U1 the justice and the console was too expensive to make it a game worth buying the console for.

That's changed now... I saw U2 coming out and combined with how much I enjoyed my initial limited play through of U1, I decided it was time to get a PS3 and U1 (which I got for 9 quid).

Very few compared to U2 and never in open warfare. People should stop making the Indy comparison, it doesn't work. Drake is a completely super rambo hero compared to Indy.

I agree.

Appealing to the popularity of the game doesn't really speak to criticisms of it. I also think it's possible to really enjoy a game but still have dissappiontments about it. I enjoyed the first Uncharted quite a bit, despite the issues I've discussed here and elsewhere. Actually to go further and say that I make criticisms of stuff because I liked parts of it and felt it could be so much more. UC was a fun experience, but it needed a lot more to become a title I would talk or

think about years later unprompted.

Fun, but shallow and less than it could be.

You can't possibly believe that combat is what makes U2 such a good game? It's serviceable, nothing more.

I haven't played the game in single player yet, but the combat works really, really well in multiplayer. Easily the best third person combat I've encountered this generation so far.

Because it's really nothing special. That is why it is tiresome to have it all the time in the game.

I speak highly of U2 because it is an experience, with good story, amazing graphics and pace and glorious, glorious set pieces. It is also funny and very charming.

Very few compared to U2 and never in open warfare. People should stop making the Indy comparison, it doesn't work. Drake is a completely super rambo hero compared to Indy.

I'm not going to do the Indy comparison again, but I tried to explain why I think it's not that far-fetched. :lol:

But I strongly disagree about the combat. I think it's really well done, far better than other third person actioners like Resi 5, Dead Space and Gears imo. I think it's the best third person combat so far this gen which is probably why it works in mutilplayer as well. Just don't play on Normal, it's the new Easy. ;)

I agree.

Appealing to the popularity of the game doesn't really speak to criticisms of it. I also think it's possible to really enjoy a game but still have dissappiontments about it. I enjoyed the first Uncharted quite a bit, despite the issues I've discussed here and elsewhere. Actually to go further and say that I make criticisms of stuff because I liked parts of it and felt it could be so much more. UC was a fun experience, but it needed a lot more to become a title I would talk or

think about years later unprompted.

Fun, but shallow and less than it could be.

Again, I never said it isn't open to criticism. I had some great discussion on here this weekend about Batman. I'm a huge fan of that game, but not blind to its flaws (or at least the things I consider flaws, other might think completely different about that).

I'm just saying that the succes of the Uncharted games, probably means Naughty Dog won't deviate from the formula much. That doesn't mean I can't understand why some people would want changes.

That's interesting. I wonder if that's maybe COD4 syndrome whereby the online makes the combat really

interesting by putting human intelligence behind it.

I really like it in the single player too- it's just way improved from U1. New abilities like the improved hand to hand which is actually useful and doable now, the sneaking option, the improved weapon choice (complete with a red dot sight with one of them too). Also being able to run and gun is a lot of fun with something like the shotgun. No more shitty sixaxis grenade throwing and grenades don't have to be manually selected now- in fact no shitty shitty sixaxis stuff in the game at all thankfully so no falling off logs because of that.

Also the aiming feels tighter and things like the riot shield/run and gun, put a cool new spin on moving forward like a tank rather than nimbling from cover to cover.

The combat has improved by miles and miles over U1.

That's interesting. I wonder if that's maybe COD4 syndrome whereby the online makes the combat really

interesting by putting human intelligence behind it.

Actually, the AI is pretty good on higher difficulties. Certainly better than that of its closest competitors. Of course playing against humans makes a big difference, but still.

Ah, fuck.

I just made a huge post. Cocking forum.

Pfft.

I might retype it later. But anyway here is an interesting article which really articulates my thoughts well:

http://experiencepoints.blogspot.com/2009/...onarrative.html

At the time of playing UC I noted this weird feeling I had about it, but I didn't bother to look and see if other people agreed, nor did I know that there was a growing discussion on that sort of thing, or that it had it had be given a formal name by some.

A little while back I was thinking about this issue again and I googled something like 'Uncharted character weirdness', which is how I found that peice.

ND do excel at scary-eyed heroines.

This is good fun. I'm surprised to find myself a third of the way through it already, but apart from some niggling "Where am I supposed to be goin- oh shit I'm dead" moments it's been solid stuff. Combat has been tweaked down to a more welcome level, which was my main gripe with the first. Looks grand.