Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

James Ape

Anybody who enjoyed the

Marco! Polo!

in the hotel swimming pool, I hope you were kindly to

the yaks

in the village. :facepalm:

EDIT: also depending on how you interact with them - you get a different reaction from Drake - try standing directly behind one for a small lol.

Well I am only on Chapter 7 so far and I think its the greatest game I have seen this generation. The best thing you can do is to go in dry and not read any forum and progress thread, it would just simply spoil it.

What can you say without spoiling it? Well the story (so far) is brilliant, the script is excellently written and the voice acting is superb. Characters are very likeable, you get to know all of their names and its all kept really in focus.

Graphics and sound are simply amazing, better than MGS. Nothing presently can touch it. Sound is 7.1 (you have to set it in the menu). Its all too easy to rush through this and miss every little touch that has been applied, every vista that has been constructed. My advice is to take your time. Its taken me about 4 hours to get to chapter 7.

Things that don't work sometimes are the swinging controls and the grenade aim. Apart from that, the controls are a dream.

I have no idea how far through I am, but I know that what I have seen already is up there with Half Life and Resident Evil 4 in the great game categories. This is a game you will remember for the rest of your years, one you will quote in the all-time greats.

Also had a go at multi-player too, which is pretty much the same as the beta as far as I can see. Its still quite slow to matchmake, but maybe it will improve with more players come the end of the week. It also has the single most annoying thing every PS3 game has, and I loathe it. What is it? Why in every PS3 game does it not have...

an

option

to

mute ALL

in

fucking

voicechat

Jesus H. developers, why is it so hard!??? I DON'T WANT TO HEAR THEM BLASTING OUT OF MY SPEAKERS!!! The only game that has had this in about 18 months was COD:WOW, how embarrassing.

Apart from that, MP is solid.

PROS +

Graphics are amazing

Sound

Voice-acting

Story and action

CONS -

Bloody no MUTE all in MP (again)

Sometimes the controls get a bit-off, but its rare.

SUMMARY - Its essential if you are a PS3 owner. Possibly the greatest 3rd person action adventure game ever. Its a sequel so you can argue its not very original, but as far as accomplishments go, its outstanding. Other devs must be jealous as hell, Naughty Dog have raised the bar very high indeed.

Well I am only on Chapter 7 so far and I think its the greatest game I have seen this generation. The best thing you can do is to go in dry and not read any forum and progress thread, it would just simply spoil it.

What can you say without spoiling it? Well the story (so far) is brilliant, the script is excellently written and the voice acting is superb. Characters are very likeable, you get to know all of their names and its all kept really in focus.

Graphics and sound are simply amazing, better than MGS. Nothing presently can touch it. Sound is 7.1 (you have to set it in the menu). Its all too easy to rush through this and miss every little touch that has been applied, every vista that has been constructed. My advice is to take your time. Its taken me about 4 hours to get to chapter 7.

Things that don't work sometimes are the swinging controls and the grenade aim. Apart from that, the controls are a dream.

I have no idea how far through I am, but I know that what I have seen already is up there with Half Life and Resident Evil 4 in the great game categories. This is a game you will remember for the rest of your years, one you will quote in the all-time greats.

Also had a go at multi-player too, which is pretty much the same as the beta as far as I can see. Its still quite slow to matchmake, but maybe it will improve with more players come the end of the week. It also has the single most annoying thing every PS3 game has, and I loathe it. What is it? Why in every PS3 game does it not have...

an

option

to

mute ALL

in

fucking

voicechat

Jesus H. developers, why is it so hard!??? I DON'T WANT TO HEAR THEM BLASTING OUT OF MY SPEAKERS!!! The only game that has had this in about 18 months was COD:WOW, how embarrassing.

Apart from that, MP is solid.

PROS +

Graphics are amazing

Sound

Voice-acting

Story and action

CONS -

Bloody no MUTE all in MP (again)

Sometimes the controls get a bit-off, but its rare.

SUMMARY - Its essential if you are a PS3 owner. Possibly the greatest 3rd person action adventure game ever. Its a sequel so you can argue its not very original, but as far as accomplishments go, its outstanding. Other devs must be jealous as hell, Naughty Dog have raised the bar very high indeed.

This is truly an amazing game but all the bolds are false.

an

option

to

mute ALL

in

fucking

voicechat

It does, actually. If you press X on your own name in the lobby you can select Mute All from there.

It does, actually. If you press X on your own name in the lobby you can select Mute All from there.

Yep that's right. Annoying though it also mutes any people in your party so you have to manually unmute them!

The MP has really grown on me. Just had a great match in a blizzard trainwreck level- hard to see too far ahead which meant the FAL was great. I had one amazing moment where I killed a guy who was shooting back and left me with little health. I turned around to find another of the other team has snuck up behind me. I just dropped a grenade and jumped off the platform I was on and watched his body get blown sky high- was hilarious

Also I can never ever win melee situations :facepalm: Even if I get the first hit, I always get killed

did you complete U1? Are you saying that U1 is better than this... :facepalm:

Yes and yes.

Keep in mind that I liked Uncharted because of it similarities to Tomb Raider; the shooting was something I tolerated because the rest made it tolerable. In Uncharted 2 the weight of combat is simply too heavy for the other elements to keep it fun for me personally.

Had I known that it was a shooter first and adventure tenth, I wouldn't even have bothered. I was still under the impression that Naughty Dog's '60/40 split for exploration and combat' was true. It turned out to be way off the mark, it's more like 10/90 in my experience.

That and only that is my reason to not like this. Mind you, I'm not saying this is a bad game. Production values are off the scale, voice acting is superb, animations are amazing and there are a lot of graphical improvements over the first. It's just not the game I expected it to be, based on my enjoyment of the original.

Yeah Just like the first game.

I just do not get it.

I've been replaying the first game in anticipation. It's full on action!! Constant Gun fights.

I don't get it either- yes there are more action/gun related set pieces in 2, but 1 has very stiffly spaced out platforming inbetween shit tonnes of shooting.

Maybe because 1 was a single location more or less, it was easier to hold up the illusion of tomb raiding and exploration, but it was mostly a combat game. With far inferior combat compared to 2

I played through the first one quite recently. Combat in itself is not the problem, it's the abnormal focus on it that makes it hard to swallow.

The first temple and the sub, the traps in the jungle, the ruins, the fortress and its climbing labyrinth and rooms with switches, the church, the library... Hell the underground catacombs with the dreaded you-know-who enemies at the end, never mind the undeground lab! The first one had far more 'active' locations in which you were doing more besides moving to the next bog-standard shoot-out. Sure there was shooting, quite a lot even, but for each shoot-out there was also a bit of platforming, some light puzzles and the idea of uncovering a mystery.

In this game all of that is contained in two chapters. The rest is shooting. Even if by some bizarre calculation both proved to have exactly the same adventure/combat ratio, Uncharted 2 compresses all the adventure bits into a few highly concentrated scenes and lets combat take over in the rest. The story takes a backseat; the game isn't about the dagger at all, it's about some bald bodybuilder moving his private army about.

The first one was superior in those respects, it managed to combine a lot of elements, mixed it up in equal bits and bobs and managed to keep a sense of mystery and adventure throughout it all. I'm missing that in all of its forms here. Sorry.

I don't get it either- yes there are more action/gun related set pieces in 2, but 1 has very stiffly spaced out platforming inbetween shit tonnes of shooting.

Maybe because 1 was a single location more or less, it was easier to hold up the illusion of tomb raiding and exploration, but it was mostly a combat game. With far inferior combat compared to 2

Completely agree, once again I can only talk about the first Uncharted. But it has nothing in common with Tomb Raider. With the exception of the Adventuring theme.

Uncharted is so much closer to Gears of War in execution.

It's a complete straight line with no room for deviation. Gun fight after gun fight in "waste high cover" arenas, often very well designed.

Platform section and puzzles are very straight forward and brief little deviations before the next encounter.

I still don't get where Cyh is coming from. At all. I finished playing Uncharted 1 yesterday and the majority of the game is combat. There was no room for exploration and the weight of combat:platforming increased as the game went on to the point where the last five chapters were basically pure combat. And there was nothing in the first game that mixed up platforming and combat as well as the hotel bit in UC2 or puzzley/platformey bits like the temple that, though easy, still feel much more in-depth than anything I did in UC1. The pacing in this is just so much better, there's more variety, the aspects of the game are more fluid and less predictable. Maybe it just seems like there's more combat because it's more regularly interspersed with the platforming but that's a good thing. UC1 was way too rigid. It would go 5 minute platform section, 10 minute combat arena with endless waves of enemies, 2 minute platform section, combat arena, combat arena, combat arena, 2 minutes of platforming. And there was not an awful lot in the way of memorable set-piecing in comparison to just under half of UC2 so far. I'm kinda baffled to be honest.

Anyway, I just played chapters 5-10 and this is much more like it. The bitty beginning and mediocre jungle levels have given way to what I was expecting after reading the reviews in the first place. It's a much improved game with the most stunning graphics on consoles so far, bar none. If I was to be picky I would take issue with people saying it has a great story. It has excellent dialogue, and I think people are confusing the two. The story is blah, so far. But yeah, sorry I have to put the game down for the night really.

I'm not saying combat was absent in the first. There was combat, lots of it. It was one of the main criticisms, there was a bit too much of it. BUT, the first one had a far better mixture and superior pacing. No matter where I am in the second, I'm constantly fighting the same enemies, in samey environments with the same gas tanks littered all over. And yes, the puzzles in the first aren't even allowed to be called that, but as a counter point, have you counted how many times Drake flipped open his notebook in the first and in the second?

I'm also not saying the first was some kind of bizarro-style open world. Far from it. However it did let go of the chain at times and let you frolic about a bit without those drops-of-no-return all over. For example: the underground catacombs with the Roman numerals in the first. That combined a bit of exploration, with a light puzzle and some combat to top it off. There's nothing like that in the sequel. It's almost like the feedback was that everybody got stuck there and they decided it was simply too frustrating to do something like that again. And yes, the first ended in combat, god yes there was combat, of course there was combat, I wasn't blind.

I just find the focus on combat to be way over the top in the sequel, it pushes everything else to the side. It's the main driving force behind everything. There's almost nothing to uncover, nothing to discover, no mystery. Just action, bullets and explosions. If that's enough, then you've certainly found the game of the year. I was expecting a finely honed version of the first, with less combat as was announced some time ago. It simply didn't deliver on that, and in the end that makes me prefer the first. Because even if it did have oodles of combat in there, it at least tried to give me the idea I was having an adventure. Not playing Rambo in Tibet.

Near the end but instead of trying to finish it I started another game on hard mode. Damn the combat is tough! You seem to have less than half the health and at times it can seem really relentless. I doubt I'd have a chance in hell of finishing 'crushing mode so I'm pretty sure this won't be a platinum for me as much as I love it.