Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

James Ape

Aaaand it's done. Boss fight aside, I enjoyed it way more than the first one. Onto the third one now. This is like when I watch three seasons of a TV show in rapid succession or something. Except I'm doing it with a trilogy of videogames, which is rare.

What was the flawed logic btw? Shit blew up, and then it was the end. I'm missing something obvious, right?

Aaaand it's done. Boss fight aside, I enjoyed it way more than the first one. Onto the third one now. This is like when I watch three seasons of a TV show in rapid succession or something. Except I'm doing it with a trilogy of videogames, which is rare.

What was the flawed logic btw? Shit blew up, and then it was the end. I'm missing something obvious, right?

The fact that (and Lazarevic actually calls him out on this)

Nate won't kill him out of compassion/mercy despite having killed in all seriousness about 1,800 men over the course of two games.

I always thought he just killed guys who were trying to kill him. There's a scene where he sends a bloke over a cliff and you clearly see him swimming away. Oh well, it's still the best game I've played this gen after last of us and red dead redemption.

The fact that (and Lazarevic actually calls him out on this)

Nate won't kill him out of compassion/mercy despite having killed in all seriousness about 1,800 men over the course of two games.

Ah right, of course. To be honest, I've begun to ignore the fact that Drake has killed a hell of a lot of people, and just go with the flow.

I've just played this start to finish over today and last night. I finished GA this week too and it was nice to play through an Uncharted without having to tilt the controller every time I got on a log or plank or doing any rubbings or any of the other stuff they bolted onto GA. Pretty much the only thing that felt missing was gryo assisted aiming, and thats just because I played this after GA, otherwise I'd not have missed it.

I'm not going to go through all the issues raised because either they didn't bother me, or complaining about them just sounds tedious. I will say this though, arriving in Shambala is one of the greatest visual treats I've ever seen. It's like one of those huge matte paintings they used to do for TNG, only with 20x the amount of detail and "living". With scenery like that and some of the set pieces in the game, I'm not going to obsess over climbing mechanics.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

So, Uncharted then. I was a bit late t the PS3 and thanks to PS+ have Uncharted 3 and the Vita one on my games list, but I understand that the second game is the best of the lot, with the first being okay, but vastly inferior to the sequel.

Is it essential to the series that I play the original first, or would a newcomer be wise to read the plot via wikipedia and skip straight to the second game?