IGNORED

Cheese going off

Transient Curse

I had been working my way through a big block of cheddar but when I went to it earlier... Sweet baby Jesus it stank. I presume it's gone off. Like really bad foot smell I'd say. I don't understand this. I thought cheese just got stronger as it got older? It was extra mature cheddar if that makes a difference. Tell me about cheese going off and maturity, wise ones.

I don't understand this. I thought cheese just got stronger as it got older? It was extra mature cheddar if that makes a difference. Tell me about cheese going off and maturity, wise ones.

When it's still in a wheel, the skin/muslin protects the cheese and moisture and bacteria form the mould on the rind. When cut, the block has no protection.

Usually I just re-block it. ie. trim all the edges off - you should find the middle to be perfectly edible.

Had a mate who worked for a cheese factory which supplied some major retailers. When stock in their warehouse got returned, they'd just trim the edges, re-pack and send it back out to someone else...

What dunkle said. My flatmate works for Neal's Yard Dairy in Covent Garden and he's a total cheese geek these days. If there's mould on it it should be perfectly safe to eat, it'll just taste a bit different. According to him. Personally, I wouldn't eat it, but who knows.

What dunkle said. My flatmate works for Neal's Yard Dairy in Covent Garden and he's a total cheese geek these days. If there's mould on it it should be perfectly safe to eat, it'll just taste a bit different. According to him. Personally, I wouldn't eat it, but who knows.

That place is so cool. Staff are really friendly and they let my two friends and me try lots of different cheese, even though only one of us was going to buy anything.

I've got into blue cheese recently, and its had a probably negative effect on my eating habits elsewhere. Now I think "Mould? On my bread? No worries! I'll just put some mouldy cheese on that too. Nom nom nom."

Is mould generally bad (except for blue cheese), or is it, as i suspect/hope, completely harmless?

Chase - do you ever try the fancy flavoured ones? Such as ones with cranberries? or smoked cheese? etc etc

They are lovely.

Nope. I tried some Medium cheddar this week. It was lovely. I might even go and try the next strongest (mature?). Cool.