The Legend of Zelda OoT

Stanley

I'm convinced most people's favourite Zelda games are their first-played 2D and 3D versions.

nope. first - link's awakening and ocarina of time

favourite - a link to the past and majora's mask.

ocarina of time was good the first time round, but on every replay i get bored. the last 3 or so times I haven't been bothered to finish it. it's extremely slow to start, and I find it drags on a lot. takes a long time between new puzzles being introduced. it's a good introduction to 3d Zeldas sure, but I still find majora's mask better in every way. that's the best game ever.

Like others have mentioned, I started rationing my play time on it when I could tell I was starting to get towards the end. I just didn't want it to finish. But it did... Several months after starting it I finally picked the night that I'd finish it on. I was sharing a house at the time and waited until everyone else went out to a party (that I'd also been invited to.. but OOT was more important) so I'd be undisturbed, took my N64 down to the big telly in the lounge and I videoed my completing it on the VCR, so that I could always remember the moment...

All sounds rather sad doesn't it? No other game has ever had this effect on me.

.... :(:wub: :wub:

Wow, ten years.

Fuck, not sure what to say. Easily one of the best games ever made. I have incredibly fond memories of it. It's one of those games which defined my love for the medium, really. A deep and fascinating land, a great yarn, wonderful music, the grace of Epona, the wonderful enemies, wonderful bosses, a fantasy epic.

When that scene happens at the end, after the credits, and it turns to sepia, and the Nintendo seal appears over the scene, I remember thinking ''fuck yeah Nintendo'', and being basically breathless.

Amazing game.

When that scene happens at the end, after the credits, and it turns to sepia, and the Nintendo seal appears over the scene, I remember thinking ''fuck yeah Nintendo'', and being basically breathless.

Aye, after all the time travelling you did throughout the game, that one little scene revisited was so incredibly understated but reasonated so much more because of it. Much as I love MM, the ending was simply a let down after that. I don't think anything could ever top it.

I've played this game over and over so many times it's ridiculous. Me and a mate who lived a few doors down from me both got it at pretty much the same time, and ended up racing to see who could beat it first. Which is obviously the worst possible way to play it. I lost as I got a bit obsessive with finding the Golden Skultulas and the fishing game. In every single playthough I've tried my darndest, but I could never get that Hylian Loach to even move, the sonofabitch. Brilliant game. I might put Fallout on hold just to go through this again.

Smitty's utterly bang on about the ending as well. Add another :( to the pile, it deserves it.

EDIT: Just thinking about these fuckers still gives me the chills-

redead.jpg

Remember getting this game on launch day and spending absolutely hours on first play, so absorbed in it that I just couldn't bring myself to turn the thing off.

Eventually after getting as far as Jabu-Jabu's belly without taking my eyes off the TV, I was standing in that sort of artery section where the pulsating walls, red and blue blood corpuscle things and thumping heartbeat background music (i always half expected it to turn into Massive Attack's Teardrop which came out around the same time) made me so dizzy and disoriented and sick I had to give in and go to bed.

No game's ever made me feel as queasy as that, ever. Loved it.

I got OOT when I was in primary school. I remember getting in trouble with my teacher because some of my classmates had complained about me talking about it too much and distracting the class, and they had to have a word with my parents about the dangers of videogames. My parents still always go about the 'Zelda phase'.

I was a little too obsessed with the game...

I got OOT when I was in primary school. I remember getting in trouble with my teacher because some of my classmates had complained about me talking about it too much and distracting the class, and they had to have a word with my parents about the dangers of videogames. My parents still always go about the 'Zelda phase'.

I was a little too obsessed with the game...

Primary school? God I feel old.

OoT was the first one, so it was purely amazing at the time. It was also the more polished, and straightforward of the Zelda games.

Majora's Mask on the other hand is one of the closest examples to the whole "games as art" thing that has been released to this day.

I really couldn't pick between the two, but no Zelda since has lived up to either.

I recieved an N64 for my 18th birthday. oct 97, just to play this and Mario 64 :(

Zelda didn't come out till a year later. but receiving it as a present for Christmas and spending a month at home playing it after many months at uni was so fantastic. Best xmas ever :wub:

Until a few years later, I repeated the same thing only this time I was playing Shenmue :wub:

Still Zelda > Shenmue :wub:

Edit : I've never played Majora's Mask :( I had sold my N64 and all the games for a guitar by then.

Yeah, this game inspired me to make a Zelda website about 15 months before release. Its now one of the most popular Zelda websites on the net.

Whilst i dont realy have much input in the site anymore, its amazing what it did for me. Made new friends all over the world, got to travel to E3 and meet Miyamoto and other such things.

The day TooT came out, thankfully we had the day of college (or i bunked - cant remember). Anyway i went to pick a couple of mates up at something stupid like 6:30am and they had been playing links awakening all night. Two of us had pre-ordered, but the other hadnt.

Anyway we got into town and a short while later the doors opened to the shopping center. We rushed in and waited outside Electronic Boutique for it to open. There were about 10 people waiting and talking about the game, it was a funny atmosphere.

Anyway the Dixons next door opened up a little earlier and people discovered they had copies and people where running in and coming out literally screaming (one was crying lol) with copies of Toot. My other mate went and got his from there.

Some guy behind us was talking about how long it had been since the last game etc

Anyway EB opened and we bought our games and dropped my mates of home and i went home and played it for quite a long time. Fun Times.

10 years ago.. jeez. Can't say ive ever gone down to a shop early like this since, especially when you can get it sent to your door on day or release.

There was talk, I remember, between this or Metal Gear Solid being GOTY. Obviously it was only idiots that thought MGS was better than OoT.

Yeah IGN had both of these and ended up choosing MGS as GOTY. It wasn't MGS fault - it was just a shame two fantastic games came out at the same time.

I think it's threads like this are the real testemant to Ocarina's greatness and legacy. People always seem so eager to share their stories about the game, it shows how much more important than most it's been to a lot of people. And it comes so close to sidestepping the bickering and ranting we have about nearly every other game in existence. It always brings out this cool camaradery amongst people that's so awesome to see. It's like we all went to see some amazing concert a decade ago and every now and again someone gets all nostalgic and it spreads. We seem to go all misty eyed and gushing and start telling our tales and they're all a bit different but all centered round this one incredible thing happening in the middle of them.

I don't really know what i'm on about, I just think it's nice to see people get so warm and sentimental over Ocarina of Time.

I went down to the local Indie on day of release to pick my copy up as a Christmas present. Up until then I wasn't really fussed about a new Zelda game but the magazine previews etc had peaked my interest. I had 10 glorious minutes playtime before my gran shoved it back in the box, never to be seen until Xmas day. ggrrrr.

I was only sixteen at the time, but my memories of the game aren't as vivid as some folks here.

Aside from the gnawing irritation I felt having to cross the featureless Hyrule Field ten trillion times, I eventually got stuck in and began to enjoy it.

I remember this not for the N64 launch in December, but because i got to play it for free just two months later on my PC...

Thats right, anyone remember the shit storm that the release of UltraHLE N64 emulator caused?.

Zelda and Mario 64 were playable just about perfectly, but at 1024x768 with lashings of texture filtering on my 3Dfx Voodoo 2 rig, none of this shitty N64 'fuzzy vision' shit.

The sense of anticipation whilst downloading the Rom @ 56.6kbs was IMMENSE.

Later in 2002, i bought a cheap N64 with about 6 games, including this one and played it as intended.

I first played Ocarina of Time on an French N64 emulator; the entire game was in French and the graphics were glitched up. Despite that an N64-owning mate thought it looked amazingly sharp - he said he could cut himself on the polygons. Eventually somebody released an English patch for it and I got quite a way into it, although the lack of analogue control made aiming very difficult.

When I finally got an N64 and a proper copy of the game (that only worked when you blew up the bottom of the cartridge) it was slow and blurry, and it took me forever to get anywhere in the game. Mainly because I kept switching it off in favour of Banjo Kazooie, Blast Corps and Mischief Makers.

Um. I never thought it was the best game in the world. I mean, it was good, and I suppose emulation ruined it for me a bit, but Majora's Mask and Link's Awakening were better. Maybe even one of the Oracle games (I forget which one I liked) and the Minish Cap, too. And Twilight Princess and A Link to the Past. I suppose you had to be there.

I feel like I've let the side down, now.

My favourite bits were singing to the scarecrow and planting a seed, only to come back years later and finding the scarecrow remembered your song and the seed had grown into a plant.

It's still my favourite game. No other game has captured me in quite in the same way.

I remember being constantly amazed by it. Until OoT I had played alot of great games that had moments that just made your jaw drop. OoT was like that basically all the way through, from the sublime controls, the way day and night cycled. How you could just point at the horizon and think I want to go there then proceed to run there never encountering the invisible wall you kept expecting. Even the fishing was great!

The dungeons were amazing :(

Majora's Mask is better :(

But anyway, the N64 was the first Nintendo console I owned and I had never really played a game like this before, so the dungeons frequently flummoxed me with their logic. I found it quite frustrating at the time and often resorted to a guide but I mainly loved the game for all the overworld stuff as opposed to the dungeon stuff. It's only now I'm well versed in gaming logic that I appreciate how brilliantly designed the dungeons were. While the dungeons in something like Twilight Princess were extremely enjoyable, they were usually very linear and each room was quite self-contained, whereas the dungeons in OOT usually asked a lot more of you and how a puzzle would relate to a completely different part of the dungeon. I wish I could go back to a time when I didn't realise that to defeat the boss and solve most of the puzzles you would just have to find a way to use the item you found in that dungeon.

The temples, man, the temples.

What a game.

So many beautiful, thrilling moments. Getting your first sword. Working out your first puzzle. Growing up. Using the Ocarina to travel through time. Freeing Epona. Looking over the village, watching the sunrise. Your first encounter of the majesty and fiendish complexity of the temples. The sheer size of the world. The pouring rain, under a stony sky, in the village cemetary. Defeating your the first boss. The icy wonder of the Zora's frozen land. So many wonderful, fantastical tales, over an intricate and stunning land, populated with wonderful tribes of every stripe and under the shadow of an all-powerful evil.

Too many moments to recall, in truth. But the grace and the drama of the experience endures - one to savour.

I bought a N64 the christmas Donkey Kong 64 came out, and only bought OoT a bit later. I remember being a bit disappointed at the beginning. It looked a bit drab and grey compared to the colourful DK64 ;).

Then Hyrule Field happened and I was sold. I guess this is the game that made a console gamer out of me.

I remember more about anticipating the game than actually playing it. About a year before its release I was at the Paris toy fair and the Nintendo stand had a massive demo of the game so it was pretty great getting to have a very brief go on it so early on - in a back room you could also play demos of Banjo Kazooie (which was terrible at that time), Yoshi's Story (meh) and F-Zero X (OMFG amazing) but I only discovered on leaving the stand that the back room section was an invite only area. The following months I bought all the magazines that remotely related to the game I could find.

Christmas came, I put the game in the N64 and play for about an hour but it just didn't grab me. I spent the next couple of weeks trying to love it but after several dungeons I just stopped playing and never returned to it. I could appreciate how great a game it was and why everybody else was in love with it but I just couldn't connect with it. I guess not liking the NES or SNES Zelda games should have made me think maybe the series wasn't for me but once the hype had died down I couldn't help be utterly disappointed. I've had similar experiences with FFVII and the Metal Gear Solid games too.

Nice music though.