Great Giana Sisters DS

Kelthink

http://www.gamersdailynews.com/story-5891-...-to-the-DS.html

It was a little bit more than 20 years ago when a game was born that still is a synonym for a whole gaming genre: The Great Giana Sisters made Jump’n’Run gaming available for home computer users all over the world. In 2009, the blondes finally return – and with that, they make it all the way to Nintendo DS for the first time.

Back in the late 1980’s, there was literally no chance to play Jump’n’Run games on home computers like Commodore 64, Amiga or Atari ST. Until 1987, when a small German development team released The Great Giana Sisters.

Their father, Armin Gessert, let them become stars of the genre over night. The Great Giana Sisters was a Jump’n’Run that had everything home computer gamers back then only could experience on video game consoles: A fantastic game world on many different levels, that challenged the players’ hand eye coordination skills to their maximum to jump over deep canyons, collect bonuses and succeed when fighting enemies just by jumping on their back.

Now, The Great Giana Sisters are finally back! Publisher dtp entertainment and developer Spellbound Entertainment in co-operation with Bitfield are going to release their new adventure on Nintendo DS in June 2009.

In more than 80 levels, players experience all the great features of the original home computer version, as well as new features, that are kept exclusive for Nintendo DS. Players will have the Nintendo DS microphone as well as the touchpad, for instance.

The Great Giana Sisters’ graphics on Nintendo DS both is a redesign as well as reminiscent of the classic game.

The music score of the game is a remix by Fabian del Priore of the original soundtrack, written by famous computer game composer Chris Hülsbeck.

dtp entertainment is going to release The Great Giana Sisters DS for Nintendo DS in June 2009.

Awesome. More rip-off remakes, please! (I dunno what, like)

Yeah i remember the game from my amiga days, its a shame Chris Hülsbeck isnt directly working on the project but ill keep an eye on it....

edit: Now give me a sensible trainspotting with touch screen support - thats what the DS was made for!

Lost a whole summer to this and Turrican on the Amiga back in the mists of time. Thing is, now I can get SMW etc on DS, I don't think it will hold up all that well.

Turrican and Turrican 2 :(

The guns in that game were amazing, music was amazing too. Great times :)

Put a modern day Great Giana Gisters which has been given the green-light alongside New Super Mario Bros for the DS, with a remixed soundtrack and no doubt a huge big bunch of extras and unlockables... it'll kick the sheer fuck out of Mario on the DS for sure.

Considering Nintendo sued the original into oblivion what's the chance this will pass by Nintendo's legal department?

Unless they have changed it a lot.

Maybe enough time has passed and enough platformers passed under the bridge that Nintendo aren't too bothered any more? I mean, there must have been many side-scrolling platformers where you jump on things to kill 'em in the intervening years.

At the time, it was a direct IP rip-off that could, potentially, have cost Nintendo sales. Hard to see people these days spurning Ninty games because - OMG - they can play this instead.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

What an enjoyable little game this is. I was a huge fan of the amiga/c64 version.

This version is like a big remix with some fantastic artwork, controls and music. It really sounds like the music of old days, chip music at its best.

Shame its so easy though, its really a piece of (enjoyable) piss to play through. Ive only done 20 levels but im hoping it gets harder. How many levels are in it anyway?

Im not too sure but i remember the origanal being rock hard (or was i just really really rubbish?) is this out in UK land? Im gonna youtube a clip -if the music is really 'of old days, chip music at its best.' i might just have to...

What an enjoyable little game this is. I was a huge fan of the amiga/c64 version.

This version is like a big remix with some fantastic artwork, controls and music. It really sounds like the music of old days, chip music at its best.

Shame its so easy though, its really a piece of (enjoyable) piss to play through. Ive only done 20 levels but im hoping it gets harder. How many levels are in it anyway?

Pretty sure there's 100 levels, 10 worlds, 10 bonus levels, 90 standard levels. I'm at level 8-8 now, not missed any red gems, only been playing for about 3 hours?

It doesn't really get any harder, there are a few levels where the red gems are hidden and a few awkward jumps are involved as well as

some obstacle dodging whilst in the bubblegum bubble

, however these are far and few between.

Brilliant little game, however it could have been more of a challenge. Still, cracking soundtrack and wonderful presentation.

Im not too sure but i remember the origanal being rock hard (or was i just really really rubbish?) is this out in UK land? Im gonna youtube a clip -if the music is really 'of old days, chip music at its best.' i might just have to...

Yeah the original was rock hard but that was mainly down to the controls and character movement.

Its obviously this ones made for the younger (perhaps female) market. Its probably no more difficult than the original gameboy mario land though. Well, its more of a mario world type version of giana sisters rather than the mario bros clone.

I'd say it looks better than NSMB.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22RH2auraFs

I bet it's mindlessly boring though, unless you're 6.

It's not mindlessly boring. Mindlessly easy, yes, but's a complete pleasure to play and it's a solid little platformer... just don't expect it to last any longer than a few hours. Unless of course you're really rather shit at games.

I'd say it looks better than NSMB.

After looking at that Youtube clip, if the framerate is a touch higher in the actual game, I'm inclined to agree. Whilst I thought NSMB's 2D/3D thing was interesting, ultimately I thought the game was quite ugly.

Then again I'm the same with FFIII and Phantom Hourglass; I'd much prefer a game with digitally painted sprites over 3D on the DS any day. I think the only game I've played to competently do 3D on the DS was Tony Hawk's American Sk8land - which was some kind of dark sorcery.

is the original in there?

Nah not from what I can see. As you play through the game you will come across some of the original levels (although tarted up of course).

After looking at that Youtube clip, if the framerate is a touch higher in the actual game, I'm inclined to agree. Whilst I thought NSMB's 2D/3D thing was interesting, ultimately I thought the game was quite ugly.

Then again I'm the same with FFIII and Phantom Hourglass; I'd much prefer a game with digitally painted sprites over 3D on the DS any day. I think the only game I've played to competently do 3D on the DS was Tony Hawk's American Sk8land - which was some kind of dark sorcery.

Yeah the framerate is better than the youtube video, it runs very smoothly. Im enjoying it more than New Super Mario Bros, which I found a bit of a chore to play through :lol: