Wheelman

son_of_helvetica

C&VG officially hate us too.

Picked up the X360 Magazine and it had 6/10, even though there was a lot of positives in the review.

I don't know what's going on, but if this keeps up, I'm going to get a proper job. Fuck this game developing lark. It's all bullshit.

This is why movie stars don't read their reviews. Look, some of us already love it. It's us you're doing it for. Fuck the haters (but feel free to listen to a few of their criticisms, mind). :)

This is why movie stars don't read their reviews. Look, some of us already love it. It's us you're doing it for. Fuck the haters (but feel free to listen to a few of their criticisms, mind). :)

I think the haters are those which unfairly compare us to GTA4 and wonder why Vin can't get out of his car and buy a newspaper. It's frustrating that even though we've gone for a wholly arcade angle, we're *still* getting compared to it. Compare us to Burnout, Midtown Madness, Rush... just not GTA4.

I'm off to get drunk.

Picked up the X360 Magazine and it had 6/10, even though there was a lot of positives in the review.

I don't know what's going on, but if this keeps up, I'm going to get a proper job. Fuck this game developing lark. It's all bullshit.

It's not because we actually met at the Leipzig Games Convention last year, but I do like your game man. I've played the demo for about one and a half hour now (two long sessions of playing the whole thing), and so far I reckon it's a nice, fast-paced, arcady action / driving game. Some of my colleagues at work try to compare it to GTA IV, but I prefer to see it as an interactive action flick game WITHOUT too much cut-scenes.

I still need to check out th final version though, which will probably start happening during the beginning of next week.

I think the haters are those which unfairly compare us to GTA4 and wonder why Vin can't get out of his car and buy a newspaper. It's frustrating that even though we've gone for a wholly arcade angle, we're *still* getting compared to it. Compare us to Burnout, Midtown Madness, Rush... just not GTA4.

I'm off to get drunk.

Honestly, man, don't take it to heart. Some people are getting what it's meant to be.

BAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Jesus CHRIST, the traffic-turning-into-you-instead-of-out-of-the-way thing is fucking ridiculously annoying. Obviously this was your idea.

Jesus CHRIST, the traffic-turning-into-you-instead-of-out-of-the-way thing is fucking ridiculously annoying. Obviously this was your idea.

I only found they did that if you're on a certain part of the road. The vast majority of the time, they got the fuck out of the way. Far more so than in GTA.

Also: don't be such a dick. Guy's clearly unhappy about the reviews, and you're just pouring salt on. Not necessary, and not nice.

Hey, Mario Kart DD got a 5/10.

Can review scores make or break a game sales?

It must be difficult to live your life through such a project and then have a group of people rip it to shreds, but the games market is a cut throat world. If you can't handle it, perhaps you should get out.

I enjoyed your demo, but it didn't persuade me to buy it. It seems average and unfortunately you have a lot of very stiff competition in the genre. You said it yourself that wheelman 2 will be better - if it happens please can it have some form of multiplayer?

I only found they did that if you're on a certain part of the road. The vast majority of the time, they got the fuck out of the way. Far more so than in GTA.

Also: don't be such a dick. Guy's clearly unhappy about the reviews, and you're just pouring salt on. Not necessary, and not nice.

It doesn't deserve anything more than a 5/10, though. It's not actually bad or anything, but it feels like it needed at least a good few months put into it.

It doesn't deserve anything more than a 5/10, though. It's not actually bad or anything, but it feels like it needed at least a good few months put into it.

Well that's not anything like what you just said now, is it? If you'd posted that, I wouldn't have taken umbrage at your comments.

And I'd say it's worth more than a 5/10. I had a lot of fun with it.

So fucking what if it gets a 5 ? There's so many games out there with 5's out of 10 which are gems and well worth looking at. A lot of times I find, for myself anyway, that scores for a game don't mean shit in terms of how fun it is. The game that Wheelman reminds me, Pursuit Force, did quite average in reviews and I adore that game/series. Now whether or not I'll enjoy Wheelman as much I don't know but a review sure as fuck wouldn't put me off by a long shot. On the opposite side in terms of scores and opinions, something more recent like Resistance 2 did very well in reviews and I have no fucking idea, shit game/shit series.

At least you have something to show for it, you could have wasted 5 years working for a shitty company like Gamestation with nothing to show for and nothing to work towards. You made something which a lot of people like- that's a great thing man. You must realise that you can't please everybody!

Picked this up yesterday, and have been playing the hell out of it since.

I was just doing the mission set in a train tunnel where you have to rescue some gang leader. The whole level snaps together so smoothly, kicking off with a bike chase through the city, smashing through windows and making jumps, carries on with some on foot bits, and then culminates in a bike chase out of the tunnel, which spills out into the city and involves blasting the hell out of your pursuers. The action is framed with a great cinematic camera, and the music really punches it all up a notch.

Loving it. I've also tried a good few side missions, Hot Potato being my favourite so far.

My only real gripe, is how aged it already looks. I really don't think using the Unreal 3 engine has done the game any favours, at least regards the PS3 version. No AA solution (shadows look like lego bricks), a 5gb install (although there's no issue with load times after), the odd frame drop with a smattering of hitching, V-sync issues (particularly at the very top of the screen) and traces of texture pop in. None of it ruins the day, as aside from the obvious lack of AA, all the problems mentioned are barely noticeable once you're stuck into a mission, but considering the game doesn't look that great in the first place, it's pretty sad to see the engine still struggling to keep up.

The on foot sections are as straight forward as you're going to get too. They break up the driving action well enough, but don't stand out in their own right.

Once you're behind the wheel though, this is definitely one of the freshest takes on arcade racing this gen, and plugs the gap left by Burnout (Paradise is simply a sand box retread of the last gen games) and NFS (which have been rank awful since Most Wanted) nicely. The melee mechanic combined with the cyclone shot add so much to the action, it's a modern day Chase HQ for my money, and I can't think of a higher compliment to pay it than that.

Got my copy a bit early (promo), genuinely enjoyed my time with it. Don't think I'll do more side missions now the story's done, but I loved rampage and contracts, plus a bit of hot potato on the side. The nice thing is, I was rubbish at the races, but it doesn't matter, since they were optional!

Best moments are where you're trying to shoot bikers off their rides, while slamming into a couple of cars, while trying to catch up to an armoured van or something that's your objective. Fun, frantic, vehicularly-violent multi-tasking goodness. Even the on-foot sections were decent rather than shit, surprisingly.

It's pure Hollywood driving action and they knew it, so they nailed that while not letting the weaker sections drag it down.

Well that's not anything like what you just said now, is it? If you'd posted that, I wouldn't have taken umbrage at your comments.

And I'd say it's worth more than a 5/10. I had a lot of fun with it.

Hmm? What do you mean it's not anything like what I just said?

Picked this up yesterday, and have been playing the hell out of it since.

I was just doing the mission set in a train tunnel where you have to rescue some gang leader. The whole level snaps together so smoothly, kicking off with a bike chase through the city, smashing through windows and making jumps, carries on with some on foot bits, and then culminates in a bike chase out of the tunnel, which spills out into the city and involves blasting the hell out of your pursuers. The action is framed with a great cinematic camera, and the music really punches it all up a notch.

Loving it. I've also tried a good few side missions, Hot Potato being my favourite so far.

My only real gripe, is how aged it already looks. I really don't think using the Unreal 3 engine has done the game any favours, at least regards the PS3 version. No AA solution (shadows look like lego bricks), a 5gb install (although there's no issue with load times after), the odd frame drop with a smattering of hitching, V-sync issues (particularly at the very top of the screen) and traces of texture pop in. None of it ruins the day, as aside from the obvious lack of AA, all the problems mentioned are barely noticeable once you're stuck into a mission, but considering the game doesn't look that great in the first place, it's pretty sad to see the engine still struggling to keep up.

The on foot sections are as straight forward as you're going to get too. They break up the driving action well enough, but don't stand out in their own right.

Once you're behind the wheel though, this is definitely one of the freshest takes on arcade racing this gen, and plugs the gap left by Burnout (Paradise is simply a sand box retread of the last gen games) and NFS (which have been rank awful since Most Wanted) nicely. The melee mechanic combined with the cyclone shot add so much to the action, it's a modern day Chase HQ for my money, and I can't think of a higher compliment to pay it than that.

I figured out a solution to my Hot Potato woes: just use a bike. Even with the lunatic traffic AI, you can keep your speed up pretty easily (unless you crash head-first into the cunts).

It doesn't really plug the gap left by Burnout, though - there's still not been an amazing arcade racer for years to play online :)

Hmm? What do you mean it's not anything like what I just said?
BAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Compare and contrast. One of them's a reasonable observation, the other one's just nasty.

If he can't take the heat, man.

Even though this seems a friendly forum [rare on the internet] i cannot help but think that talking about your own game was always going to be a hiding to nothing. Obviously you will be proud of the achievement, but you will always get people thinking your game is good, bad or average. Even with tripe A titles you still get that as everyone has different tastes.

The problem is that you only ever remember the harsh comments and be blind to the good. Contrary it can also make you think twice about posting your real feelings about the game so as not to hurt feelings.

Even though this seems a friendly forum [rare on the internet] i cannot help but think that talking about your own game was always going to be a hiding to nothing. Obviously you will be proud of the achievement, but you will always get people thinking your game is good, bad or average. Even with tripe A titles you still get that as everyone has different tastes.

The problem is that you only ever remember the harsh comments and be blind to the good. Contrary it can also make you think twice about posting your real feelings about the game so as not to hurt feelings.

The thing is, there's a difference between people saying 'nah, I'm not keen - I'd only give it a 5/10' or whatever, and then kicking a man while he's down by going 'BAAAAWWWWWW' when he dares to get a bit annoyed at what was really a poorly-written and not-entirely-fair review. Unless Meh is the very guy who reviewed it for IGN that response was totally uncalled for, as was the completely unnecessary 'I hate that bit, I bet that's your fault' bit of pointless twattishness.

To be frank, if you worked on a average/rubbish/shite game you'd better acknowledge it and aim to do better next time instead of crying that the whole world is against you. In my line of business (gambling) we have a worse thing than reviews: cold hard numbers of the amount of money people are actually throwing in the machine. You can cry all you like, but if people are taking their money to another machine instead of yours, you've fucked it up and should learn a valuable lesson for your next project. It isn't fun, but it's reality. So stop whining, take the project apart, investigate what went wrong and what could/should be better and make sure you live up to a higher standard next time. You can't win them all. You really can't.

To be frank, if you worked on a average/rubbish/shite game you'd better acknowledge it and aim to do better next time instead of crying that the whole world is against you.

He's not doing that, though. And I imagine he thought he'd made a very good game (which is what the early reviews suggested). I think the first couple of negative reviews came as a bit of a shock, and he's right in that it's a little unfair for people to compare the game to GTA. It's not as if he's claiming there's nothing wrong with the game, and I think he'd be happy to take genuine constructive criticism on board as opposed to nasty, pointless insults.