Worst / Best games to play drunk etc.

northy

I had a blast on MotoGP 07 last night after a few drinks. Never again... straight into the crash barriers and gravel traps on the corners and weaving about like an idiot on the straights.

Worms XBLA on the other hand was improved as I think most of the people I was playing against had been drinking as well. Comedy pressing fire instead of jumping mistakes and suicidal ninja rope usage ahoy!

So what are your best and worst games to play under the influence?

Simply cannot play Guitar Hero drunk at all, all over the place.

I tend to enjoy old arcade games drunk, House Of The Dead I thoroughly enjoyed recently.

Non-sim driving games are also big drunk faves.

And yes, I'd agree that Monkey Fight is totally ace drunk.

It depends if you're with friends or not. Failing is half the fun.

I remember coming home one night in the mid-90s rather sozzled and booting up my PC and playing X-Wing (the original). I attempted the historical missions. I had trouble with some of them. I aced them all with ease. Seems it's easier to fly an X-Wing whilst drunk.

I'm better at real life pool when I've had a few beers. Not being very good it removes some of the inhibitions about doing a rubbish shot which presumably translates into a more relaxed cuing action etc.

Same applies to games, you tend to unlearn stuff after a few drinks which means you're likely to try something different so you don't keep hitting the same brick walls you would when you're sober. Alas, it just doesn't apply to games that require ninja reflexes like the aforementioned MotoGP.

I played Far Cry 2 when drunk the other week. Really got into it, totally immersed, improved the experience no end. Then I bought a load of utterly pointless DLC for the rip-off price of 800 points because it seemed like a good idea at the time. Moral of this story: don't play games when drunk.

I quite enjoy playing Fallout 3, while drunk, alone. But that's probably something I should stop, for a number of reasons, the most important being that it makes me a bit less careful with the objects I throw away and it makes me drink too much alcohol in the game to keep the limit of what I can carry that little bit higher.

When I was playing WoW on a regular basis, I used to do the most tedious tasks while drunk, as I rarely could remember much of it the next day. I remember farming materials to have a cloak made for me, which probably took 20 hours in total play time, but since I don't actually remember much from the farming itself, it was practically a free cloak.

Best: Wii golf. I don't think I've ever played it sober. My flatmate and I always get in at some stupid hour and have a few goes. I've had what I'd consider some miraculous rounds considering my state of inebriation.

Worst: Mario Kart Wii online. If the opposition isn't drunk it's basically impossible. Especially Rainbow Road. Playing mates who are also drunk on the other hand is excellent.

The only game I remember playing while drunk is Tempest 2000. At the time I thought I was doing amazing at it, but then, I've also thought my singing was amazing when I've been drunk.

I'd hate to play Crackdown while drunk. Climbing the Agency towers sober made me feel slightly vertiginous, so doing it sozzled would make the carpet hate me.