Dredd 3D

Goose

The fuck is that?

At least get someone to animate Ezquerra's or Bolland's style. That looks like a fucking Ren & Stimpy version of Dredd.

How can Rebellion even agree to that? Bloody rubbish.

Quite. In my opinion would have been better to get one of the 2000AD artists to draw the panels like they normally would and then animate the drawings in the same kind of style as the Uncharted motion comic. It obviously wouldn't look as good as something fully animated, but it would be a lot quicker to create and not look completely shite.

Still let's not judge too early, it could turn out great!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5csmjsLfa4

Quite. In my opinion would have been better to get one of the 2000AD artists to draw the panels like they normally would and then animate the drawings in the same kind of style as the Uncharted motion comic. It obviously wouldn't look as good as something fully animated, but it would be a lot quicker to create and not look completely shite.

I disagree. I've seen a few motion comics, and I'm not a fan of them at all. They combine aspects of comics, animated series, and radio plays, but don't add anything - I'd rather just have any one of those things instead.

First, it doesn't help that none of the ones I've seen have had very good voice acting: the budgets tend to be so low that they haven't been able to get voice actors as good as the ones in the equivalent full animated series. As far as I know this Dredd tie-in doesn't involve Karl Urban.

In the ones I've seen, the animation is limited to a few awkwardly-pivoting limbs and slight camera motions, which look distracting (and make me feel a little seasick). I actually find this makes the panels seem less dynamic than they do on the printed page - in a comic, the imagination fills in the speed of the movements, but in a motion comic, the awkward movement just makes me notice what's not there, and makes me think "if only this was done in full animation"!

Also, unlike a printed comic page, you can't enjoy the story at your own pace, but have to go at the rate set by the editing and voice acting. So what, that's just like in a live-action or animated work, right? The problem is that unlike in those mediums, the limited animation is not interesting enough to hold much interest during those shots. It's weird - if I'm reading a good comic, I'll spend a long time just looking at the details of a single panel - but put that same panel on-screen in a motion comic, and it doesn't hold the same interest.

Basically, motion comics offer the worst of both worlds!

Having to go through at a fixed pace is made worse if you show the speech balloons on-screen like in that Uncharted example - reading the text faster than the voice actors just makes me impatient to get on with it! Even back in the first Max Payne game, when doing the cutscenes in a comic style had some novelty value, I often paused the cut-scenes to stop the voice-acting, so I could just reduce them to simple on-screen comic strips and click through them at my own speed.

In order to avoid that problem, a motion comic has to rattle through everything at a lightning-fast speed. But even a bonkers jokey affectionate parody fan thing like that was funnier in the original comic.

So, I'd welcome a follow-up to the Dredd movie in the form of a live-action short, a printed comic strip, or an audio play. If it's an animated short, it shouldn't matter how limited the animation is, as long as the creators are sensible and design it from the start to take that into account. (Everyone on this site likes Archer, right?) But please, the one thing they shouldn't do is do make a comic strip - even with the original 2000AD artists - and then convert it into a motion comic!

Unfortunately, the pictures shown above make don't look promising - those drawings could easily suffer from the same sort of pivoting-limbs limited Flash animation that spoils those motion comics... but without a 2000AD-quality artist doing the illustrations. :(

I disagree. I've seen a few motion comics, and I'm not a fan of them at all. They combine aspects of comics, animated series, and radio plays, but don't add anything - I'd rather just have any one of those things instead.

First, it doesn't help that none of the ones I've seen have had very good voice acting: the budgets tend to be so low that they haven't been able to get voice actors as good as the ones in the equivalent full animated series. As far as I know this Dredd tie-in doesn't involve Karl Urban.

In the ones I've seen, the animation is limited to a few awkwardly-pivoting limbs and slight camera motions, which look distracting (and make me feel a little seasick). I actually find this makes the panels seem less dynamic than they do on the printed page - in a comic, the imagination fills in the speed of the movements, but in a motion comic, the awkward movement just makes me notice what's not there, and makes me think "if only this was done in full animation"!

Also, unlike a printed comic page, you can't enjoy the story at your own pace, but have to go at the rate set by the editing and voice acting. So what, that's just like in a live-action or animated work, right? The problem is that unlike in those mediums, the limited animation is not interesting enough to hold much interest during those shots. It's weird - if I'm reading a good comic, I'll spend a long time just looking at the details of a single panel - but put that same panel on-screen in a motion comic, and it doesn't hold the same interest.

Basically, motion comics offer the worst of both worlds!

Having to go through at a fixed pace is made worse if you show the speech balloons on-screen like in that Uncharted example - reading the text faster than the voice actors just makes me impatient to get on with it! Even back in the first Max Payne game, when doing the cutscenes in a comic style had some novelty value, I often paused the cut-scenes to stop the voice-acting, so I could just reduce them to simple on-screen comic strips and click through them at my own speed.

In order to avoid that problem, a motion comic has to rattle through everything at a lightning-fast speed. But even a bonkers jokey affectionate parody fan thing like that was funnier in the original comic.

So, I'd welcome a follow-up to the Dredd movie in the form of a live-action short, a printed comic strip, or an audio play. If it's an animated short, it shouldn't matter how limited the animation is, as long as the creators are sensible and design it from the start to take that into account. (Everyone on this site likes Archer, right?) But please, the one thing they shouldn't do is do make a comic strip - even with the original 2000AD artists - and then convert it into a motion comic!

Unfortunately, the pictures shown above make don't look promising - those drawings could easily suffer from the same sort of pivoting-limbs limited Flash animation that spoils those motion comics... but without a 2000AD-quality artist doing the illustrations. :(

Maybe I should have used Archer's style as an example of what I meant. :P I mostly agree with what you said, but I still think if your budget is too limited for proper animation and you want something visual then a motion comic is a better way to do it. Of course, a live-action short, printed comic strip or audio play would all be preferable. Going off of that teaser for the teaser anything would be better than what they've done.

cQoZY4V.gif

"I thought I'd give my friends (I mean that figuratively as I don't know anyone at Marvel) at Marvel a break and myself a taste of my own medicine by 'bootlegging' Judge Dredd," Shankar writes, then adding with a tongue-in-cheek note, "Just so that we are clear, this is a different interpretation of the character and the universe, an interpretation that is family friendly and geared towards little children."

There's

for Watchmen which is pretty great, up until the point Laurie turns up, and the lone male voice actor tries to do her too. I mean jesus, how much more would it have cost to hire one other voice actor? Maybe he did all the after effects work too?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Shankar explains why you won't see Dredd 2 - or rather what you'd need to have, to see Dredd 2. He's a little unorthodox but I get the impression he really knows his stuff. Essentially, every international buyer who pre-bought Dredd, lost money. The only way to get that investment for Dredd 2 would be to pair Urban up with a major star or shoot it as found footage (aka lower to budget by an extreme amount) or hire a major director (except the kind of director you'd need wouldn't make a Dredd sequel)

NSFW - Bad Language

That fucking makeup.

Still, he makes good points.

I've made my piece with us never getting a sequel; we got a fantastic adaptation, much better than expected. Urban was a great Dredd and MaMa was a great villian. A cool soundtrack and nice, meaty action.

No, ZOK, you're wrong.

Gotta give it to him though, he knows his shit. In fact seeing that gave me more hope that it may end up being made eventually. The guy's got charisma, a gob and a go get em attitude. That's exactly what you need to survive in the film biz.

• 1 month later...

Saw this for the first time on channel 4 the other night and thought it was cool as fuck.

Lean, mean visuals and soundtrack.

Gritty and palpably oppressive atmosphere.

Highly recommended. ????

Oh, I meant to ask, was the SLO-MO drug in the comics? ...or was that just a stroke of genius from the filmmakers? ...it's just that those sequences added a much needed splash of colour and macabre beauty that the film could've felt too grim and claustrophobic without them.