It was grainy in the cinema, it was grainy on Blu-Ray, and it'll be just as grainy, if not moreso, in UHD.

You don't 'accidentally' get digital noise like that unless you're stretching the raw footage, and since Dredd was shot on a combination of RED and Phantom cameras they've obviously pushed that footage as far it would go in the grade. It's not as noticeable in 3D because the glasses dull the image.

I suppose there's an outside chance they could add aggressive noise removal, which would look awful, or re-master the whole film and darken those scenes for this release, which would be quite expensive and seems unlikely for a film everyone lost money on. My bet is on it being a upscaled 2k cash-grab, like almost every other UHD release.

• Upvote 3

I'm hoping it irons out some of the foibles that exist on previous versions. The US and UK releases weren't helped by having 2D and 3D on the one disc, which was fine for the 3D version, but played merry hell with grain and whatnot when viewed in 2D. Some of the issues are source related, so I don't expect those to be eliminated. Personally, I can't wait. If the HDR is up to scratch, it should be worth it for the Slo-Mo scenes alone. 

• 1 month later...

mc1_posterc3awc.jpg

EW can exclusively reveal that independent entertainment studio IM Global and independent U.K. games developer and publisher Rebellion have struck a deal to turn the iconic comic book character into a TV show called Judge Dredd: Mega City One. The show is set in a future where the East Coast of the U.S. has become a crowded and crime-ridden megalopolis. It will be an ensemble drama about a team of Judges — futuristic cops invested with the power to be judge, jury, and executioner — as they deal with the challenges the future-shocked 22nd century throws at them. Early development has begun on the show, and talent will be announced at a later date.

The character of Dredd — who is known for his incorruptibility, harsh attitude towards law-breaking “perps,” and upper face-concealing helmet — was created by writer John Wagner and artist Carlos Ezquerra in 1977 and first appeared in the British science fiction anthology comic 2000 AD, which celebrates its 40th anniversary this year. Judge Dredd has twice been adapted for the big screen. Sylvester Stallone played the titular character in 1995’s Judge Dredd, while Karl Urban portrayed the role in 2012’s Dredd. Although the latter was a box office disappointment, the Alex Garland-scripted film has garnered a substantial cult following of fans thanks in large part to its faithful representation of the original material.

Attached as executive producers of the new show are IM Global Television president Mark Stern, who developed Battlestar Galactica, Helix, and Defiance at Syfy; IM Global Television CEO Stuart Ford; and the owners of Rebellion, Jason and Chris Kingsley, who along with Ford were also executive producers of the 2012 Dredd film.

“This is one of those seminal sci-fi properties that seems to only become and more relevant with age,” said Stern in a statement. “Not only is it a rich world with biting social commentary, but it’s also fun as hell! As a fan of the comics and both films, it’s a dream come true to be able to work with Jason and Chris in adapting this for television.”

“We’re very excited to be beginning the journey to get more of Judge Dredd’s Mega-City One on the television screen,” said Jason and Chris Kingsley said. “Thanks to the legions of fans who have kept up pressure on social media, and a lot of background work and enthusiasm, we aim to make a big budget production that will satisfy both our vast comics audience and the even greater general screen-watching public.”

• Upvote 6
  • 7 months later...

@fragglerock

I've just bought this. What i've read of the IDW stuff previously has been poor, but there's enough other stuff in there to be worth buying the $15 bundle. Origins, Case files 05 (with the apocalypse war), Cry of the Werewolf and America for starters are all top of the line Dredd stories.

If you've not read Dredd before, don't start with Origins. That's best read after reading as much other Dredd stories as you can get your hands on.

I was really confused looking over the Humble Bundle, as I’d never heard of most of the writers or artists, and hadn’t realised that there was an American Dredd imprint with its own continuity. It doesn’t sound particularly great to be honest, but there are some decent strips in there. 

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, fragglerock said:

I just re-watched this. 

Such a great film, really sad it never came to anything :(

I see there is a 4k UHD version now... maybe I should splurge a lot of cash on a 4k system so I can watch it again again!

We don't know that. There's a Dredd TV show that was announced May last year, Urban has since been in talks to star. 

Worryingly though, it's gone a bit quiet recently.

34 minutes ago, Ste_S said:

We don't know that. There's a Dredd TV show that was announced May last year, Urban has since been in talks to star. 

Worryingly though, it's gone a bit quiet recently.

Yeah I'm worried about the silence there's been on this. Everytime I see this thread come back up again I get a little excited.

2 hours ago, Stigweard said:

Yeah I'm worried about the silence there's been on this. Everytime I see this thread come back up again I get a little excited.

Optimist in me says they announced a little too earlier in the development cycle. 

Pessimist in me says the production company is having difficulty selling it to a network/streaming service

1 hour ago, Ste_S said:

Optimist in me says they announced a little too earlier in the development cycle. 

Pessimist in me says the production company is having difficulty selling it to a network/streaming service

Can't see why Netflix wouldn't pick it up if that was the case? Netflix's Marvel series have been big hits but once Disney pulls the plug on that and they lose Marvel, this could perfectly fill a big shaped violent comic book hole 

• Upvote 1

Yeah - the Punisher proved that you can do ultra-violence

the torture scene in that is really quite brutal and the final fight is pretty unpleasant too

Also, Guardians of The Galaxy proved that you could do something that, on paper, seems really very weird but people will watch it. The Dredd universe is really weird and I'd like this TV series to happen but I'd also like it to be close to the weirdness of the comic. I'm not sure if that would go down well with mainstream, network audiences but I think it could work well on a streaming service - American Gods was/is pretty strange and that's done quite well for Amazon. 

Although I'm bumping this thread, I wish people wouldn't. It's pretty much Half Life 3 all over again. Every time I see it pop up, I get my hopes up :(

• 7 months later...

In every interview I've read with Garland, he always comes across as an extremely sound guy. And he seems really engaged with the 2000AD forum - it's not some Reddit AMA where he's giving one word answers, he was really going out of his way to answer their questions.

Plus, he hates boss fights in games, which is the correct opinion to have.

• Upvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
8 minutes ago, Popo said:

Wow, did not know Duncan Jones is directing a Rogue Trooper movie. Here’s hoping it’s a goodun - I couldn’t finish the boring Warcraft. 

I was honestly surprised at how much I enjoyed Warcraft really. It was no classic or anything like that, but considering how it would appear Jones was pretty fucking hamstrung whilst making it, I think he didn't do a bad job really. 

That said, a full on Rogue Trooper done 'proper' would be all sorts of magnificent. Rogue was never my fave 2000ad strip, but it's still up there.

Now just want someone to make a Bad Company film...the original series is absolutely my top 2000ad tale, and one of the greatest comics ever as far as I'm concerned!

• Upvote 1