Demon's Souls - remake's OUT - mindful of the spoilers, please!

robdood

It looks good to me too. It appeals straight away, as I said earlier in the thread I have a massive weakspot for exactly this kind of game. I just don't think it's going to be that amazing or anything :) It's going to be a good lil' game for sure!

Funnily enough, just levelling up and stuff atm. Traditionally enough, captured souls are effectively currency which you can use in the hub to improve stats. They can also buy weapons, and in conjunction with items, improve weapon stats. That's as far as I've got currently. I've just had 4 levels unlocked, so going to dive into one of those shortly.

Oh man.. It's a bit roguelike?!! :hmm::P:D

Nice impressions Jashin, thanks! I'm hoping this gets a western release, I really like the idea of real people bailing you out of trouble (like in the DS Shiren :doh:)

Yeah. I guess it works like that. The 'real' character can summon a soul character. If they defeat a boss in the level ( I think), then the soul player is ressurected. I've not managed to hitch up with anyone yet though, and much of my time so far has been spent in a soul state, which I believe is par for the course. Did I mention how difficult this game is?

It's Shiren-like in the die / repeat with gained items way rather than anything randomly generated.

I received my copy today, and I think it's really, really good. The combat is very deep and satisfying, with the best counter-kills since Assassin's Creed. The level design is fantastic, full of alternate paths and secret areas to discover. And personally, I think the graphics are extremely impressive. Maybe not for the sheer amount of detail around you, but the art direction is sensational and the scale of the environments, and some of the enemies, is amazing.

It's extremely hard though. The tutorial boss one-hit kills some classes for example, and two-hit kills any of them. Any basic enemy can halve your health in seconds if they get the jump on you, and there are traps to contend with as well. The latter can be somewhat negated though due to the ability of other plays to leave messages on the ground for anyone to read, warning them of dangers to come. It's a system that works really well, and since they're all pre-written stuff cobbled together (like PSO), everything's translated into your own language.

The English translation can be a little bit wonky though, with some awkward phrasing and overly-literal translations at times. The voice acting is a little odd too, with some very strange attempts at ye olde English accents. The translation will certainly be redone if it gets a US/Euro release, and the VA getting the same treatment is a possibility I guess. Both are extremely minor issues though, and haven't affected my enjoyment of the game so far in any way.

All in all, it seems like a fantastic game. Not for the faint-hearted certainly, but I reckon it could be making the GotY lists of people who like this sort of thing.

• 3 weeks later...

I got a copy from Hong Kong this week as I'm a FROM fan too.

Initial thoughts are positive : nice functional graphics, not showy or full of effects, just solid with good animations. Tutorial level can show you just how tough it can be, though. As the chap above says, the first enemies can clock you for big damage from the get go, so it's obviously a game of defend/slash/counter. Not "ninja gaiden" hard, but a lot more slow and heay hitting.

You pick from one of a list of about 10 character classes, which aren't restrictive as far as I can see, merely a starting point for your stats and equipment to begin with. I went with a Thief guy, and again as has been mentioned, had my ass handed to me by the tutorial boss. According to the demon souls wiki/youtube you can beat the boss if you're quick enough (ditch your armour for the fight) and you get a load of loot and a nice preview of things to come ...

At the end of the day, I took a punt on it from reading threads like these and am not disappointed so far.

Is the ebay copy defo in English? - just don't want to be left with an unplayable game :D

Well it says in the auction

Game Details

The king of the land has achieved his ambition in making his land prosper by tampering with powers that are too dangerous to be meddled with. Prosperity in his country, however, did not last and the old kings ambitions lands him neck deep in trouble. The power that he dabbled in caused a flood of smog to wash over the continent and unleashed countless demons that devour peoples' souls.

Create your hero and search for a way to rid the land of its monsters, but bear in mind that many have ventured into the smog and none has gotten out alive as of yet. Are you ready?

Specifications

* For use with Sony PlayStation 3™ Gaming Console

* 100% English language game-play throughout

* All Sony PlayStation 3™ software title is "Region Free" and will work "Worldwide"

Polmon - the whole game has an interesting take on mulitplayer / online. In short, you can summon other players (up to 2) to help you, recruiting them from signs left by them. You can also invade the game of other players PvP style. Furthemore, you can see other players running around the area you're in. There isn't (quite rightly) any kind of lobby system, it's an entirely different take and style of experience. There's more in the NTSC thread, and lots more nuances than the very blunt description above.

• 2 weeks later...