Demon's Souls - remake's OUT - mindful of the spoilers, please!

2 minutes ago, Hawklord said:

Also check how many upgrade materials you have as these can quickly build up and push you over the rolling thresholds. Just move them to storage until you need them

Materials etc are item weight and don't count towards rolling etc, all they do is stop you picking them up without sending direct to storage if you are at your max weight

40 minutes ago, Sexton Hardcastle said:

I keep putting my sign down for bosses and waiting around, but in all the time I’ve been waiting I’ve only ever been summoned once. Seems strange as new Souls games are usually quick with summoning when they are released. 

Did you check your online/ matchmaking settings ? Don't have the game but saw a streamer fiddle with this, changing his region to california and the amount of invasions/ summons went up considerably. 

With headphones on, and having calibrated the 3D audio, the sound on this is really quite something. The environmental sound effects are incredibly atmospheric. 

Re the online settings, is everyone else’s (in the UK at least) defaulting to the servers in Ohio? Seems odd that it reports much higher latency to the server in London, when I live in... London.

14 minutes ago, Seamonster said:

With headphones on, and having calibrated the 3D audio, the sound on this is really quite something. The environmental sound effects are incredibly atmospheric.

Just to clarify, you can plug any set of headphones into the controller and get the 3D audio effects? 

Personally, I think the audio is the most impressive part of Demon's Souls. There's so much subtle feedback and texture and movement. Already mentioned is the fantastic little crack-crack when you backstab with the rapier, but the little swish swish flourish your character does afterwards is also magnificent. There's so much subtle panting and breathing and grunting and material contact sounds. I've never heard anything as precise and detailed and physical as this, even in TLOU2.

There's nothing revolutionary about the player character grunting and panting but it usually sounds ridiculous and gamey. Here, you hear the exertion of your enemies as they chase you down *hahh hahh* and then *strainnn* to attack you, while your character exhales sharply and then *gnnnhhh* slips the blade *schlenk* between their ribs. I didn't even realise quite how much was going on at first because I was paying attention to the visuals, but when I set it up properly for 3D audio, I was well impressed. 

26 minutes ago, Seamonster said:

Re the online settings, is everyone else’s (in the UK at least) defaulting to the servers in Ohio? Seems odd that it reports much higher latency to the server in London, when I live in... London.

I found this as well, latency for the London servers was ridiculous when I live in London.

@Chadruharazzeb I believe so. I used the Sony WH-1000XM3’s with noise cancelling on and plugged in to the controller and they sounded great. Not audiophile great, or ‘oh my god if I close my eyes I’d believe I was standing outside a castle’ great, but you can hear every effect/groan/rustle/scream (and there are a lot) and can tell which direction they’re coming from. 

The audio calibration in the settings just asks you to listen to the sound of running water and change the level so that it sounds like it’s at ear height. The default was too high for me so I changed it to level 4. 

The effect in game is subtle, but I could hear someone above me had thrown a firebomb at one point, before I could see them. I got shot in the back by one of the crossbow guys in 1-1 and the sound plus the haptics nearly made me jump out of my seat. 

Also (nothing to do with 3D audio) but stepping in the bloodstains now sounds really... icky. 

34 minutes ago, Marlew said:

Personally, I think the audio is the most impressive part of Demon's Souls. There's so mdwdwfuch subtle feedback and texture and movement. Already mentioned is the fantastic little crack-crack when you backstab with the rapier, but the little swish swish flourish your character does afterwards is also magnificent. There's so much subtle panting and breathing and grunting and material contact sounds. I've never heard anything as precise and detailed and physical as this, even in TLOU2.

I can't play this as I don't yet have the hardware but this sounds fantastic as it's only when the contact feedback is absent that  you realise just how much it adds. For example Assassins Creed Valhalla, given how much fun Viking brawling should be, is ruined by contactless combat that renders it so dull it is unplayable for me.

Given my lack of jazzy Demon's I have just started another Dark Souls 2 run through. It's my least favourite of the series so feel I should show it a little love...

I've never played any Souls type game and this is my first. Am enjoying it but I'm clearly awful at it and need to watch some videos. I did just complete the first boss but it took me about 20 attempts, I really felt like I identified a flaw with the game in that you can get yourself in a dead end which is scary.

Let me explain;

I went into it with about 40 various types of grasses and about 30 resins (fire sword thing). As I was figuring it out and dying over and over, I eventually used up all grass and only had 10 resins left. I was also breaking swords and shields, nearly ran out towards the end. I had 0 souls as I kept dropping them in the boss room and upon retrieving them I could not exit. I did eventually figure out that I had collected some soul things that in my inventory that was able to give me a total of 2000 souls. So I left for the Nexus and purchased loads more grass.

More fights, eventually I was down to about 9 grass and 8 resins. In my successful attempt I used up all of these in one go and thankfully made it BUT I am concerned because had I died I don't think there would have been a way out at all. I would have had NO grass or resin in that battle, my skills would have made that impossible. Would have felt unfair too because I can't imagine other players taking on bosses with no items at all. If that first fight was nearly a dead end, it doesn't bode well for me at all.

Anyway, playing as a knight. I initially took armor off for rolling but in that fight I never rolled so eventually put armor back on. Had 2 rings (inc the HP one). I went through many tactics but what worked for me was just to take on each 'small shield guy' one at a time until they were just a handful left. I mainly did this by locking on (not necessarily to the correct one) and circling it with a resin fired long sword and shield up, lunging in when a guy had it's back turned. Took about 2-3 back hits per one.

@Capwn so you've learned a lesson.  Don't waste your healing/buff items until you're confident you've worked out a boss.  Don't try beat them first go!  Spend time just watching and learning, not even hitting. 

PS that fight is totally doable without using any consumables, btw.  It just doesn't feel like that to you because you're new :)

Ah both good points, yeah I could be killing those enemies up the stairs every time though that would drag things out a lot. I never use the firebomb, should I be? I tried using them outside the boss area and there is no way of easily doing it other than through the inventory? which is horrible as you're just standing still and vulnerable? or see/aim properly?

Yeah great point about not taking on the boss straight away, I'm hoping all bosses are near the starting point again? Then I can just go in and keep dying without using anything, figuring it out.

Just now, Capwn said:

Ah both good points, yeah I could be killing those enemies up the stairs every time though that would drag things out a lot. I never use the firebombs? should I be? I tried using them outside the boss area and there is no way of easily doing it other than through the inventory? which is horrible as you're just standing still and vulnerable? 

Yeah great point about not taking on the boss straight away, I'm hoping all bosses are near the starting point again? Then I can just go in and keep dying without using anything, figuring it out.

Equip them to your quick slot, so you can use them with down

4 hours ago, Hexx said:

3-1 is kicking my arse. Their magic attacks do so much damage  :(

Missing Estus flask. Limited consumable heals is horrid 

I have been dreading 3-1.  Got a bow to +7 to range those fucks.  Got to the bottom without dying, just gently, gently, crawly, crawly.  And then thought, fuck it.  And tried to get a hidden trophy.  At which point, a barrage of requests hits my screen. @Nathan WindFUCK. I die.  Then I spend the next 40 minutes trying to make my way to the bottom again, getting lost, as he watches in glee at my hopeless antics.

Finally got back to the bottom.  Nailed the secret trophy.  Went on to the boss for a first time win.  Yeaaaaaahhhhh.  All while "coaching" him through screen sharing on what he was doing. :lol::hat:

10 minutes ago, Capwn said:

Oh what, I never thought to do that for some reason. I must have about 40 of em.

The boss is actually weak to them, you could have killed him twice over with that many.

You shouldn’t ever rush. As dood mentioned, spend some time figuring things out it can be a huge help, or you can come here and get pointed in the right direction. It can seem insurmountable at first but when you treat every, including death, as learning, then it’s all becomes very doable.

I spent a good couple of hours being summoned into the 2-1 boss fight.

When he does his big move it looks absolutely stunning and I always find it funny seeing how some people react to it.

It’s like ‘Wait, what’s this?’ ‘Hold up it’s not stopping!’ ‘Fuuuuuuuuuuuck!’

This is one of the main reasons I wanted to be here at the start. When the online is super active and just adds another level to the experience.

The sound design in Latria is unbelievable. No idea if I’m getting 3D/binaural whatever through my ear buds into the controller, but it doesn’t matter. The soundscape is incredible, immersive, oppressive, overwhelming even. Amazing job.

1 hour ago, Rikku said:

I have been dreading 3-1.  Got a bow to +7 to range those fucks.  Got to the bottom without dying, just gently, gently, crawly, crawly.  And then thought, fuck it.  And tried to get a hidden trophy.  At which point, a barrage of requests hits my screen. @Nathan WindFUCK. I die.  Then I spend the next 40 minutes trying to make my way to the bottom again, getting lost, as he watches in glee at my hopeless antics.

Finally got back to the bottom.  Nailed the secret trophy.  Went on to the boss for a first time win.  Yeaaaaaahhhhh.  All while "coaching" him through screen sharing on what he was doing. :lol::hat:

You're welcome.

So I've spent all evening basically dicking around the first sections of all the world's, dying, collecting whatever loot I can gather and levelling up. Handling my endurance much better now.

I think I'm ready for that big boss in the first world now. Will take him on in the morning after doing a couple of runs to collect some herbs because I am completely out of items. 

Might leave 3-1. It’s one of those times when FromS fuck up really irk as the rest of game design is strong. But 3 different one hit kill mechanics just isn’t fun. Sour taste is really putting me off the game, even though there’s other routes.

Was slowly getting a handle on the mindflayers and one hit kills and then Red Mindflayers :(

Really miss the estus flask. Limited consumables (esp for healing) is horrid 

Took down Tower Knight today and then picked my way through 2-1 which is a great level but that run back to the boss is annoyingly long-winded. I know this boss isn't actually very difficult but I've died four times now and used up most of my health items so I'm probably going to go and see if I can help some other people for a bit. Should make farming for health items less annoying.