Demon's Souls - remake's OUT - mindful of the spoilers, please!

robdood

1 hour ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

Hot dog, just beat tower knight on my first attempt! :omg:

Then it crashed me back to dashboard :hmm:

1 hour ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

And boom! Fuck you too, armour spider! 

Quite a successful evening then, sorted those guys out, then killed that asshole vanguard in 4-1, then as I was running back to the archstone to go back to the nexus, some jabroni invaded my game, had a ruck with them and totally kicked their rude ass. Hoom! 

7 minutes ago, charley farley said:

Have a look about up the stairs right to the top of the Nexus. There’s more bald kids than you would ever expect to see in one place at the same time. Proper coincidence. 

One of them looks a bit diff from the crowd.

Found it.

Even by Souls standards that was stupid

So I killed TK and I thought perhaps I'll get some sweet sweet sould by putting my sign down and help others but my character keeps fiddling with her pockets as if the blue eye stone isn't there, can you only help as a phantom when the boss is alive in your part or is it because I am in human form?

4 minutes ago, Minion said:

So I killed TK and I thought perhaps I'll get some sweet sweet sould by putting my sign down and help others but my character keeps fiddling with her pockets as if the blue eye stone isn't there, can you only help as a phantom when the boss is alive in your part or is it because I am in human form?

Its because you are in human form

5 minutes ago, Droo said:

What is the difference between performance and cinematic mode, technically?

Cinematic is more graphics and 30FPS, performance is slightly less graphics and 60FPS I think. Eurogamer highlighted tessellation as the one biggest diff. But in motion there's not much noticeable between the two, hence most folk preferring performance.

Done 1-1, 1-2, 2-1, 2-2, 3-1 and 4-1. Got fed up dying at the start of 4-2 (will try again later with Thief’s Ring), in the meantime I am trying out 5-1. It’s filthy as fuck down here, but these thick-skinned boys do not like the Crescent Falchion one bit lol.

Still knocking about 1-1. Admittedly only been able to put a couple of hours but still. Lost 4000 souls at one point. I’d died loads but had always managed to get back to the point I lost them. 

Then I went to fight the first boss. Wasted my firebombs and now I have to grind for firebombs. Couldn’t beat it with just a resined up sword. 

Also had no idea about the black maiden and thought couldn’t level up without beating the Phalanx. 

Still enjoying it though somehow!

1 hour ago, Droo said:

What is the difference between performance and cinematic mode, technically?

Cinematic mode is, I believe, native 4k. Performance mode is rendered at a lower resolution and then upscaled in order to hit 60fps (ish). The difference in visual quality is subtle, but while I prefer performance mode, I don't like the form of anti-aliasing the devs are using. The image is soft in comparison to native 4k.

5 minutes ago, El Geet said:

Then I went to fight the first boss. Wasted my firebombs and now I have to grind for firebombs. Couldn’t beat it with just a resined up sword. 

I didn't use a single fire bomb, I used pine resin and picked off the little fuckers before hammering the Phalanx. With some patience he's very easy.

I beat the TK at the end of 1-2. Not proud of how I did it, but I can't be fucked with the walk there to "git gud".

Spoiler

I just ducked in and out of cover, Harry Pottering the bastard when he tried to Harry Potter me back. The stairs seemed to make him stupid, so I mostly ran up and down those.

6 hours ago, Spacehost said:

I beat the TK at the end of 1-2. Not proud of how I did it, but I can't be fucked with the walk there to "git gud".

Hide contents

I just ducked in and out of cover, Harry Pottering the bastard when he tried to Harry Potter me back. The stairs seemed to make him stupid, so I mostly ran up and down those.

If anything it’s the more Souls-ish approach.  Exploit everything!

So yeah, Demon's Souls is really good. The locations are good, it looks incredible, the way the maps loop round and connect is up there with Souls 1 and Bloodborne in its intricacy. It's good! Good game!

But the clubs! Holy fucking shit. I don't know if it's the dualsense, the audio, who knows? The way those things connect with bastards is just not getting old at all. I went through a lot of 2-1 with my slightly stronger bastard sword and enjoyed myself, classic Souls. Then I found a great club and dropped my shield and I'm fucking Babe Ruth scoring home runs left right and centre with your face mate. I'm fairly sure Babe Ruth was a batter but either way I'm not looking it up because it would take time away from me going through what I'm calling the "Batting Mines" crushing skulls with every step.

Is a club run viable or is the fact that they can't be upgraded going to fuck me? I know they scale well, does that make up for it? 

Just done some co-oping with Nate.  I created a new character for the purpose as my strength gal was way out of range.  She's done something like 8 bosses compared to his one, so it felt more fun to get someone a bit closer in level.  I created a royal and jeez louise, what a different game. 

Just to test things out I went human and summoned him in for my 1-2, completing that boss made him human, so I went back to the nexus, killed myself and in his human form he was able to summon me in to do his 1-2.  To keep progression going in his game I killed myself again and he summoned me to his 2-1.  After the boss, he of course got all SHINY SHINY and ran off and got himself killed.  So I'll summon him next time to do my 2-1 and then that should make him human to continue progression in his game.  It's a bit of a leapfrog system and we always run the risk of one of us dying, but I suppose if you want to play the game co-op - then this leapfrog system would be the way to do it without using a ton of the stones. :)

Was lovely fun. :D

I've never played a souls game before, but ordered this on the hope that the shiny excitement of the PS5 might help me get through the initial trauma of it?

You already know I bought physical on the firm assumption that it won't click and I'll need to get rid of it!