Demon's Souls - remake's OUT - mindful of the spoilers, please!

13 minutes ago, Majora said:

Bah, had a really frustrating session on this where I know the 3-1 boss isn't all that hard but when the run back is probably one of the worst in any From game I can think of and it's so easy to get electrocuted by the boss and then get hit by 4 magic attacks at once while stunned and die....raaaaaaage.

Is there any trick to knowing where those things will appear on the floor or is it just blind luck?

When she first casts the spell, you can see them appear. After that you have to remember where they are. If she casts the spell again, they will move.

Tendencies are like a sub-system of the game that no new player really needs to worry about. It’s more for veterans to give them something extra to aim for, or something for New Game +. Literally the only thing you need to be aware of is repeatedly dying in Human form will eventually make your game harder. 

World Tendency:

You have to get all the World Tendency to Pure White for each world. This will make most enemies have less health I think. You do this by killing bosses, mini-bosses, black phantom NPCs or invaders. If you just play through each world in soul form & kill all the bosses in it you will definitely have Pure White by the end then you can go back & collect all the hidden stuff that’s appeared. 

Then you have to get Pure Black, this is what happens when you die in human form in a level or kill NPCs (this is why most people commit suicide in The Nexus after killing a boss). I think 6 or 7 deaths will get you into Pure Black. When in these Tendencies enemies are tougher & you will get more souls & find better smithing materials, it will also host some super hard hidden black phantom NPCs.

On the PS3 every time you connected online it seemed to reset these, but I haven’t experienced that on PS5. 

Character Tendency:

Like World Tendency this starts at Neutral, but it’s even more obscure. To make it White you need to kill the black phantoms from all the Pure Black Worlds, or kill invaders. All it really does is make you stronger in soul form & lets you get a stupid ring at the end of the game. 

To get a Black character you need to kill all the shopkeepers. It will make you stronger as an invader but also lowers your health in soul form. It also gives you access to a convoluted hidden story mission near the end of the game. You can also get another ring you’ll never use. 

It’s quite easy to go from Neutral > White > Black. But be warned you’re making the game harder for yourself. If you want to get back to Neutral or White you need to kill invaders. 

7 hours ago, kempstar said:

I had forgotten how easy the adjudicator is, and had also forgotten about the rather awesome shortcut to get there. Onto Valley of Defilement 2 next :wub:

I never figured out that shortcut despite going out of my way to find it, having previously heard there was one. It’s not just...

Spoiler

... that series of underground illusory walls under the Vanguard / near the grave robber merchant...

... is it? Please feel free to spoiler tag where / how to find it. Disappointed I couldn’t find it myself, but as far as I can tell I’ve exhausted the area.

2 hours ago, Minion said:

I was wondering has all the voice acting been re-done or is it just the same audio tarted up? I love the maidens voice but also love the scottish and welsh voices too. And there's Danny fucking Dyer the graverobber lol!

I believe they were re-done.

I was kind of on the fence on this. I only got so far on the PS3 version before selling it on, but tonight I did a big explore of 3-1, something I know I didn't do on the PS3. Got to FI - I knew it couldn't be that fucking easy! :lol: Will come back to that. 

2 hours ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

How are you supposed to give the flamelurker soul to Blacksmith Ed, then? He keeps going on about it but even though I've got it he doesn't take it. 

I just did that tonight and I had to talk to him over and over until dialog was exhausted then it gave me the option to hand it over.

Hang on, regarding the 3-1 boss.

Spoiler

Fool's Idol - I managed to beat her, but nothing happened. All I could do was exit the fog, and go back in. Others in here are saying it's an easy boss - so did I miss something or did my game bug out?

10 minutes ago, Thor said:

Hang on, regarding the 3-1 boss.

Hide contents

Fool's Idol - I managed to beat her, but nothing happened. All I could do was exit the fog, and go back in. Others in here are saying it's an easy boss - so did I miss something or did my game bug out?

You've missed something.

1 hour ago, Calashnikov said:

I never figured out that shortcut despite going out of my way to find it, having previously heard there was one. It’s not just...

Hide contents

... that series of underground illusory walls under the Vanguard / near the grave robber merchant...

... is it? Please feel free to spoiler tag where / how to find it. Disappointed I couldn’t find it myself, but as far as I can tell I’ve exhausted the area.

It's...

Spoiler

...rolling over the edge of the castle wall at the top of the stairs at the start of the level. Then you follow a path around the cliffside.

Hit a wall tonight in 2-2. Keep getting wiped by Flamelurker. It's a total fucking drag getting back to that boss so gonna leave it for the night.

edit: Fuck it, went back and gave it one more go. Decide to summon someone to help for the first time and had a really intense battle, felt amazing! Am I right in thinking if I die while I've summoned someone that the enemies will get harder?

Couple of Qs, I'm at 1-2 and have been dicking around on 2/3/4/5-1. 

Where do I get souls arrows? Haven't seen any yet. On 5-1, with the weird magic dudes, I killed 2-3 of them but seem to be stuck in the upstairs section, have opened all of the prison cells. How do i get to the next part of the level?

1 hour ago, skittles said:

Where do I get souls arrows? Haven't seen any yet. On 5-1, with the weird magic dudes, I killed 2-3 of them but seem to be stuck in the upstairs section, have opened all of the prison cells. How do i get to the next part of the level?

You can rescue a dude in 3-1 who will sell you spells. 

3 hours ago, skittles said:

Spoiler

Try checking the end corridors. :) If you want to know exactly, click the next spoiler.

Spoiler

Where you enter 3-1, if you have picked up both sets of keys on that floor, turn right and you can open the gate just to the right of cell you spawn in to. :)

Am not sure if you meant 3-1 with the prison cells... so the above spoiler relates to 3-1, not 5-1...

2.5 hours into this now as a complete newbie. Found some armour in 1-1 which took me far too long to realise that I can’t equip purely because it’s for a female character :facepalm:

think I have just opened the room to the boss 

Spoiler

after taking a chance and sprinting like a mad man across a bridge before a dragon turned me into barbecue.

Absolutely loving it so far. It just oozes atmosphere, looks gorgeous, and has a really methodical gameplay loop that is just what I was craving.

I don’t mind the backtracking at all after dying as I need to git gud anyway. I picked Royalty as my class so glad to see that’s the noob option :D

16 hours ago, Underwurlde said:

Having played this now for several hours i'd like to give kudos to Bluepoint.

Completing a project like this in around two years is a great accomplishment, especially on new hardware.

I'd love to see them doing Demon Souls 2 as their 1st original project but i doubt Fromsoft would allow it.

I can dream though.

Might come true. This was originally a Japan Studio game in collaboration with From Software and thus a Sony IP. As shown by Sony having filed off every mention of From Software in this version. Anyone seen the credits yet? Would be mad if From was even removed there.

16 minutes ago, Cyhwuhx said:

Might come true. This was originally a Japan Studio game in collaboration with From Software and thus a Sony IP. As shown by Sony having filed off every mention of From Software in this version. Anyone seen the credits yet? Would be mad if From was even removed there.

Yeah it makes me wonder if there is a dispute between the two as it seems a glaring omission for such a well liked studio to not be mentioned on the remake of their game. I'll actually watch the credits on this one to see.

Loving this version, have done 1-1, 1-2, 2-1, 2-2, 2-3, 3-1 and 4-1 so far

The little changes that Bluepoint have made make the game so much better

As far as I am concerned Bluepoint can remake Dark Souls 1, 2 and 3 for the PS5 as well, and Bloodborne too

9 hours ago, Sie said:

You've missed something.

Indeed I did! All done now. I have a potentially daft question. I chose Wanderer as my starting class, but so far have made do with good ol' fashioned swords and shields. Loving my Dragonsword. However, I've now freed...

Spoiler

... Freke, so I can learn spells. Is the soul ray worth the Doll's Demon Soul? I'm guessing it is... but I'm wondering if I should just fuck off magic completely and stick to swords, spears, and shields. :)

Forgot how tough this can still be. Three current roadblocks for my SL49 wizardy swordswoman:

Spoiler

3-2 boss Maneater keeps kicking my arse, just as it did the first time, at least the run back is simple.

4-2 run is a trial, with the skellies, then the Shadowmen blocking the walkways and firing those green lasers, and the sneaky fucking reapers.

And the 1-3 boss Penetrator is a hard bastard, seems harder than in the original, and it is a fucking cruel run back with those three red-eyed knights on the stairs that I struggle to dodge. At least I remembered to go release Biorr, so should have some company next attempt.

7 minutes ago, Thor said:

Indeed I did! All done now. I have a potentially daft question. I chose Wanderer as my starting class, but so far have made do with good ol' fashioned swords and shields. Loving my Dragonsword. However, I've now freed...

Hide contents

... Freke, so I can learn spells. Is the soul ray worth the Doll's Demon Soul? I'm guessing it is... but I'm wondering if I should just fuck off magic completely and stick to swords, spears, and shields. :)

Magic is your friend in this without a doubt, if you level it up it absolutely shreds with the right spells

Having never played the original I don't know if it's the new graphics/audio/rumble at work but 3-1 is one of the better Souls areas I've played. Very moody, really cool mechanics, love the interlocking of it all with they keys. I also noticed something really cool the 3D audio is doing;

Spoiler

I was trying to find the blue guy calling out from his cell last night and realised that his call was coming from below me! I went down a level, following his calling and there he was! I was expecting some really cool dragony type flyover stuff from the 3D audio, like when 3D films came out and everything was just WHOOSH in your face. But if more developers can use it for locational stuff it could really add to gameplay. Exciting times. 

19 minutes ago, Thor said:

Reveal hidden contents

The boss Souls in this game are only for one thing: making cool stuff.  I mean you can consume them for souls/cash, but rarely is that worth it on your first run tbh. 

A lot of souls can only be crafted into a single thing.  If you want to double check, talk to 2-1 blacksmith as well, things you can make from boss souls should show up on one of the tabs, iirc. 

Make the boss things, experiment with them!  :D there's no wrong way to do it!