Demon's Souls - remake's OUT - mindful of the spoilers, please!

robdood

OMG I'm such an idiot I just turned my Uchigatana into the large sword of searching NOOOOOOO! That was my best weapon :doh:

Is there any way to get another or can someone drop me one? I don't mind dropping stuff back in return, FFS I wasn't paying attention and didn't realise it needed the boss soul and a weapon.

49 minutes ago, Thor said:

Indeed I did! All done now. I have a potentially daft question. I chose Wanderer as my starting class, but so far have made do with good ol' fashioned swords and shields. Loving my Dragonsword. However, I've now freed...

Reveal hidden contents

... Freke, so I can learn spells. Is the soul ray worth the Doll's Demon Soul? I'm guessing it is... but I'm wondering if I should just fuck off magic completely and stick to swords, spears, and shields. :)

Like yourself, I picked Wanderer. Opted for using spears for now. I shield and I poke. But I haven't bothered with magic this time around at all and have instead gone down the Quality build route. If you are dabbling in magic though, yes, Soul Ray is very handy to have.

15 minutes ago, Minion said:

OMG I'm such an idiot I just turned my Uchigatana into the large sword of searching NOOOOOOO! That was my best weapon :doh:

Is there any way to get another or can someone drop me one? I don't mind dropping stuff back in return, FFS I wasn't paying attention and didn't realise it needed the boss soul and a weapon.

I think I have one, but if you have a meltstone you can turn it back (I think, not sure if it works on boss weapons)

2 minutes ago, MikeF said:

I think I have one, but if you have a meltstone you can turn it back (I think, not sure if it works on boss weapons)

You can but then I've lost that sword too and it looks like it might be a good farming tool, I've made a post on r/twinkly (the new r/pumparum for all you Dark Souls 3 fans) but it's fairly quiet there so if you or anyone else feels kind enough to drop me one I can give it back or show you how to save scum so you don't lose it, I did it a lot in Dark Souls 3 for all my many many builds.

1 minute ago, Minion said:

You can but then I've lost that sword too and it looks like it might be a good farming tool, I've made a post on r/twinkly (the new r/pumparum for all you Dark Souls 3 fans) but it's fairly quiet there so if you or anyone else feels kind enough to drop me one I can give it back or show you how to save scum so you don't lose it, I did it a lot in Dark Souls 3 for all my many many builds.

Let me check to see if I have one in my stockpile

4 minutes ago, Minion said:

Yep, I have one, add me Mik3F, we will need to set a password and then summon at a location, I can then drop it for you 

Maybe at the start of 4-2?

I don't need it back, as I will pick one up in NG+ if I want it again

1 minute ago, MikeF said:

Yep, I have one, add me Mik3F, we will need to set a password and then summon at a location, I can then drop it for you 

Maybe at the start of 4-2?

I don't need it back, as I will pick one up in NG+ if I want it again

Oh mate thanks so much I really appreciate it! Happy to give anything else you might need, adding you now!

11 hours ago, Duckula said:

Hit a wall tonight in 2-2. Keep getting wiped by Flamelurker. It's a total fucking drag getting back to that boss so gonna leave it for the night.

I thrashed that chump first try by slathering my character in anti-fire buffs (purple flame shield, fire resist ring, water veil spell) and whooped his hot ass with soul ray. 

Turns out I missed most of 2-2 as I fell most of the way through the level and ended up right at the boss. Noice. 

I’ve been up until 4 and 5am the past two nights / days / mornings / wtf I don’t even know, banging my head against Maneater. It hurts.

Spoiler

I’ve come really close a good few times, but I’ll either get cunted by their one-shot stomp in a lapse of concentration or I’ll roll off the bridge in a moment of panic. Beginning to do that a lot less thankfully, so I am learning. It’s only taken a cumulative 12 hours or something :facepalm: 

Becoming stun-locked can be a real muthafucka when there’s two of them, and I get the sense that a wee bit of luck in this fight goes a long way - how much time the first idiot jankily wastes flying about before his buddy shows up will impact on how much meaningful damage you can do to him before it all becomes a little bit too much to take care of, what moves they decide to do and so on.

I’ve thrown my sign down to help a good many other players beat this boss, which has seen me regain human form and stupidly decide to attempt the boss in my own game in that state, then inevitably die, which has had the grim consequence of making my Latria world tendency become as black as midnight on a moonless night. Or indeed 5 fucking AM on a sleepless school night :facepalm:

Its not all been Maneater woe however. Maybe 3 of those cumulative 12 hours were spent farming Bladestone chunks from that black skeleton back up the stairs from the 4-2 archstone, so my Uchigatana is now lookin’ sharp and +4 8-)

14 hours ago, Dirty Harry Potter said:

Im a bit scared of this game. I'm not going to be playing it until December 25th- but have never touched a demon game before.

Are there any new fans of Demon Souls - that have never played it before? Or are you all old hands?

Noob here to.  Am I a fan?  Sometimes! There's no question it is a great game and looks epic but if you're short on game time like me, it might be a struggle to get into.  It's deliberately obtuse as fuck and there's no getting around the fact you need to learn the levels but there's a definite sense of progression most of the time.  

It's well documented but cockiness gets punished quickly too.  Still toying with the idea of restarting with a Royal character.  I've prob spent 6 hours on it and only defeated 1-1 and just making my way through 2-1.  if I rebuilt my character I could prob get to where I am now in terms of levelling and game progression in about 1 hour...

Anyway, a POV form a noob is all.

We were all noobs once. I think it takes a concentrated effort to stick with your first Souls game. That’s how it was for me playing Dark Souls Remastered, my first exposure to the series. I was absolutely fucking determined to stick with it, see it through, and experience for myself what all the fuss was about. My first 4 or 5 hours with it felt impossible, but I was eventually able to shamble my way through the Burg and the Parish, until reaching a certain boss encounter, and all hope seemed lost once again. So I went and grinded levelling my stats and gear and was able to brute force my way through.

This type of rhythmic loop of impossible struggle > shambling through > eventual progress > brick wall > pain > grinding > levelling > brute force > rinse > repeat was typical of my first Souls playthrough, but I grew to find it very satisfying and I decided to really immerse myself in the lore with videos and podcasts and books and everything. I think I mean to say it certainly is a commitment and it took determination not to bounce off it. I WANTED to like it, so I stuck with it until I did. I personally think I wouldn’t have managed had I not been able to fully immerse myself in both the game and it’s associated commentary, but your mileage may vary. 

I must also say I never felt particularly skilled or gud at any stage of that first playthrough, I just tanked up and played ultra defensively. It wasn’t until my second playthrough when I went for more of a dexterity build which was more light and nimble that I felt any semblance of becoming skilful with what I was doing (albeit barely).

Nowadays I dodge and roll and cartwheel and pirouette to the rhythmic ebb and flow of this series’ combat, and that’s how I’m at where I am today - slightly ruined from being up until 4 and 5am the past couple of days bashing my head off the same fucking boss over and over again, and fucking loving it. ENJOY! :hat:

1 hour ago, El Geet said:

It's well documented but cockiness gets punished quickly too.

This. I started off playing it like it was fucking Devil May Cry or something, being all aggressive and trying to look cool. It did not work out well. I learned that you have to be patient and even slightly cowardly at time.

I must point out that on my session last night I really didn't particularly enjoy 2-2 or 5-1, they were horrible levels where I could barely see anything with lots of narrow corridors which made combat difficult, and both levels were full of aggravating drops of ledges. To hell with those levels (although I do need to revisit 2-2 after falling past most of it).

I think 5-1 is an amazing bit of level design, it's rank and utterly bewildering, yet still makes sense. And when one of the big boys comes lumbering at you, like a serial killer cosplaying 'It's a Knockout', it's genuinely scarier than when any of the bosses do.

That said, it's tonally a week in a fucking Spa next to the soul-sucking misery that is 5-2.

I imagine when they got to making Blighttown for Dark Souls, FROM thought 'fuck we can't make it as a miserable as VoD, let's tone it down, a lot'.

Yeah I played through 5-1 last night for a wee bit of respite from Maneater. I’d been putting off the Blighttown of this game, but actually I really liked it. All the nooks and crannies with hidden goodies and stuff. Not yet figured out how to reach one tantalising item up on the roof of one of the wee shanty huts, I thought I’d maybe loop back round to that bit, but I eventually made it through and cuffed the boss, opening up 5-2, so I guess not.

So, as I mentioned previously, this game really takes you up and down. I had a wonderful evening and following morning exploring Prison of Hope (remember this scaring the bejesus out of me first time round!) and getting most of the secrets I think but still not quite done. Thoroughly, thoroughly enjoyable and had a great time. The atmosphere is incredible in there.

Then played last night and couldn't have been more frustrating, just doing other levels to explore and getting nowhere. I opened up a lot but zero souls and would always die in the end pushing too far. Luckily I'm away for a few days so happy to leave it till come back but really not sure I'll see the end again (like all of them bar BB). Hopefully will though as when it works it's magical.

Few questions: 

1.  Playing as a temple knight and currently using a bastard sword+5 and huge steel shield. Shield is good but bloody heavy, am I better with something else maybe? Soldier, heater+2, kite maybe?

2. I did the too much strength to start with like others I think so now sat on 23 which is fine but I am constantly fat rolling. My plan is to keep increasing stamina which should resolve this shouldn't it (via equip burden)? I always seem to be around 80/90% though. Best get rid of the steel shield maybe?

3. One other, drop my stone but never, ever seem to get summoned. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong but my memory is rubbish.

And lastly, people who invade and then stab you in the bloody back whilst you are looking for a gesture before beginning are utter, utter b@stards. Just not cricket. 

Right, so after ditching the armour I started with (kinght) and dropping the claymore in favour of the scimitar and shield  making better progress. I have cleared 2-1 and started 3-1 before jumping onto 4-1 for some easy souls farming and grabbed the CF. Wish I'd had that when going into 2-1. 

11 hours ago, jonamok said:

Forgot how tough this can still be. Three current roadblocks for my SL49 wizardy swordswoman:

Hide contents

3-2 boss Maneater keeps kicking my arse, just as it did the first time, at least the run back is simple.

4-2 run is a trial, with the skellies, then the Shadowmen blocking the walkways and firing those green lasers, and the sneaky fucking reapers.

And the 1-3 boss Penetrator is a hard bastard, seems harder than in the original, and it is a fucking cruel run back with those three red-eyed knights on the stairs that I struggle to dodge. At least I remembered to go release Biorr, so should have some company next attempt.

Always found it very interesting how varied the roadblocks in all From games are for different people. I can beat Kalameet and Artorias with little problem. Never beaten Taurus first try on any DaS game I panic, at this point I've built it up too much. I was forced to have almost 60 goes at Amelia.

First time on PS3 I struggled terribly with Penetrator, man that run back to him I reckon I did that 30 times. This go, I'd got clocked on 3-1 a couple of times before even making the shortcut through stupid mistakes, so wandered off and did 3-1 and 4-1. Latria, jesus what a terrifically upsetting and scary horror movie it is. Just wonderful.

Had a quick look about 5-1, confirmed with extra graphical detail, Raytracing and 19 billion teraflops it's still the most awful shithole, just lit a bit more realistically. Ran off.

Decided to have one more go to see if I could open the shortcut on 3-1, did it and trekked onwards, made it to the gate with 23.000 souls in the wallet. After literally five minutes of running backwards and forwards procrastinating I thought, fuck it, lets have a go. FIrst time, no problem man! Couldn't believe it.

Also from reading the last 2 pages I've realized I'm totally subconsciously avoiding 3-2 because of Maneater.

7 hours ago, Calashnikov said:

I must also say I never felt particularly skilled or gud at any stage of that first playthrough, I just tanked up and played ultra defensively. It wasn’t until my second playthrough when I went for more of a dexterity build which was more light and nimble that I felt any semblance of becoming skilful with what I was doing (albeit barely).

Nowadays I dodge and roll and cartwheel and pirouette to the rhythmic ebb and flow of this series’ combat, and that’s how I’m at where I am today - slightly ruined from being up until 4 and 5am the past couple of days bashing my head off the same fucking boss over and over again, and fucking loving it. ENJOY! :hat:

Its funny how you learn what play style suits you over time, and how it’s not necessarily what you think it will be. When I first played Dark Souls on the 360 I fancied myself a dextrous dancing spearman. It wasn’t until I got Ludwig’s Holy Blade in Bloodborne that I realised my true self is a man who likes hitting things with enormous swords. 

By the end of Dark Souls Remastered on the Switch I was rocking the full Havel set and fully upgraded Claymore. Straight up tanked the Four Kings.

Fannied around 2-2 for about an hour, rinsing every last dragonstone chunk and the like. Got to FL, one hit from victory, 20k souls, too lazy and complacent to heal, one-shot. Killed by a pickaxe dude almost immediately after the respawn.

Thanks I hate it. 

26 minutes ago, Flanders said:

Its funny how you learn what play style suits you over time, and how it’s not necessarily what you think it will be. When I first played Dark Souls on the 360 I fancied myself a dextrous dancing spearman. It wasn’t until I got Ludwig’s Holy Blade in Bloodborne that I realised my true self is a man who likes hitting things with enormous swords. 

By the end of Dark Souls Remastered on the Switch I was rocking the full Havel set and fully upgraded Claymore. Straight up tanked the Four Kings.

That's so interesting.

I was shitting myself on my first run of DeS, turtled up to the max. As DaS adapted to more agile combat I found myself going lighter and lighter, tried DeS again and realized that shit won't work in the OG. Then with Bloodborne I got the mental adjustment to not have a shield and the muscle memory of the agility and on my next DaS run I carried that on. Now in this I'm totally lightweight, fast rolling, glass dex cannon.

Edit: Clearly read just the reply and not the original post. Yes, I did the same as @Calashnikov though I'm not currently in a sleep deprivation hole like he is.