Jump to content

Demon's Souls - remake's OUT - mindful of the spoilers, please!


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Capwn said:

I think I'm destroying the essence of what this game is supposed to be because I'm continuously looking for tips/guides how to defeat a boss. I know you're supposed to learn but honestly, even the first boss took me 20 attempts and it would have been higher if I had no advice. Since then I've faced two other bosses who just kill me in 2-3 hits every time even though I know what to do. Then on top of that it takes around 5-10mins to reach each boss every time.

 

So it's either stop looking up advice and spend 200+ hours on this game or look it up, spend around 50hrs but miss the satisfaction aspect of the game.

Just do what makes you happiest. I looked up loads of stuff when playing the original. I cheesed my way through any bosses that I could which were blocking my way for too long, because I really don't enjoy boss fights that much. I still loved the game to bits. Far better to play it through and love it (even if that means being cheap), than to quit because you're hating it.

 

When I get around to buying a PS5 and this remake I will try to play it "more nobly"  I think, given that I'll know my way around things a lot better from the offset, but I'd still reserve the right to be as cheap as hell if it got me past a spike I wasn't enjoying.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Capwn said:

I think I'm destroying the essence of what this game is supposed to be because I'm continuously looking for tips/guides how to defeat a boss. I know you're supposed to learn but honestly, even the first boss took me 20 attempts and it would have been higher if I had no advice. Since then I've faced two other bosses who just kill me in 2-3 hits every time even though I know what to do. Then on top of that it takes around 5-10mins to reach each boss every time.

 

So it's either stop looking up advice and spend 200+ hours on this game or look it up, spend around 50hrs but miss the satisfaction aspect of the game.

 

Nah these games are so unfair sometimes your just giving them a taste of their own medicine, do ANYTHING to defeat a boss, from looking up guides to standing in a deadspot where they can't hit you. Half of the cheese strats never seem to 100% work anyway and end up involving some sort of adapting on the fly. I would rat, turtle, abuse magic, do anything to beat the game. That's the true essence of souls games.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Steven said:

 

Was waiting for that. The latter, most definitely.

 

6 hours ago, Cyhwuhx said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Have you perhaps been rummaging about in 3-2 recently?

 

Well, now that I have definitely been doing that, there have been more "goings on" at the Nexus...

Spoiler

20201127_214546.thumb.jpg.8c84335df447d00928e751c324e25596.jpg

 

I'm going to have to kill him, aren't I?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 26/11/2020 at 18:49, Calashnikov said:

Who was it that was looking for a spare Uchi? I’m up to my arse in them from farming that black skeleton :lol:

 

Ha sorry that was me, you know whats funny, is I got two pure Bladestone of that black skellie yesterday and apparently it is super rare, not sure if they changed the rng for the remake.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I love being summoned into the OM fight, waiting for them to enter the fog gate and nuking them with firestorm.  Never gets old

 

I just have 5-2,5-3 and 1-4 to do to finish the first run through, will be heading back to 1-1 too for the sword

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Steven said:

Now is probably the time. I didn't realise it was going on when I first played it.

 

It's going on.

 

That's a developer with confidence.

Done...

Spoiler

What a pansy! He whined and wailed when hitting him with my Dragon Longsword.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, merrychan said:

Yep, from memory that's the games equivalent of Blighttown in the way it's really depressing to go through and mostly annoying. Souls is at it's best when your up on the ramparts :)

Surely 5-1 is Blighttown? 2-2 is just dull.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Thor said:

Done...

  Hide contents

What a pansy! He whined and wailed when hitting him with my Dragon Longsword.

 


 

Spoiler

I spoke to him in human form and he gave me a wee spiel about what he’s been doing with humans before drawing his sword on me. Was a real dun-dun-DUN moment. Did you just randomly start wailing on him without seeing that exchange?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Capwn said:

I think I'm destroying the essence of what this game is supposed to be because I'm continuously looking for tips/guides how to defeat a boss. I know you're supposed to learn but honestly, even the first boss took me 20 attempts and it would have been higher if I had no advice. Since then I've faced two other bosses who just kill me in 2-3 hits every time even though I know what to do. Then on top of that it takes around 5-10mins to reach each boss every time.

 

So it's either stop looking up advice and spend 200+ hours on this game or look it up, spend around 50hrs but miss the satisfaction aspect of the game.

The Phalanx? Really? You just keep moving and hitting it. There's nothing more to it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Moz said:

Been waiting for a summon outside Maneater for 20 mins. Nothing. Is summoning even working? I notice the in-game region browser thinks I have 3000ms ping to London and 180 to North America. 


I haven’t been able to summon anyone into my game any time I’ve tried. I’ve been summoned myself, and I’ve been invaded, but I can’t summon help despite activating other players’ signs. Just never connects.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Thor said:

HDR definitely works in this game. @skittles what TV are you looking it up to?

I have this projector https://www.projectorreviews.com/jvc/jvc-lx-nz3-4k-laser-dlp-projector-review/

 

I'm finding HDR to be a little grainy and non/HDR to look much crisper. Maybe I need to play with the settings on the projector but i'm unsure what I should be fiddling with...

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Calashnikov said:

Friday night dust up:

 

11955700-6DA7-40D2-ADE5-C7A3A55B604E.jpeg

Looks like a friendly pub chat. “That’s the problem with Tower Knight, he always walks it in”.

 

Been spending too long in 3-1 myself tonight with the headphones on. It’s sort of ruined bells for me. Christmas will be a challenge.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, skittles said:

I have this projector https://www.projectorreviews.com/jvc/jvc-lx-nz3-4k-laser-dlp-projector-review/

 

I'm finding HDR to be a little grainy and non/HDR to look much crisper. Maybe I need to play with the settings on the projector but i'm unsure what I should be fiddling with...

Projectors have a lot of nice positives, but unfortunately they have a weakness for displaying HDR images, particularly small bright areas like specular highlights. The results can be very subtle. Try playing with your tone mapping settings.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, kris_doe said:

I am beyond hooked on this after an initial block of frustration with the TK. I spent a good deal of time on it today and mopped up the guts of about 6 bosses. First souls game to have clicked with me, having tried pretty much all of them. 


Want to know the best bit?

Once the games do finally click, you’ve suddenly got a load of amazing new games to play.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, MrSpiggott said:

Projectors have a lot of nice positives, but unfortunately they have a weakness for displaying HDR images, particularly small bright areas like specular highlights. The results can be very subtle. Try playing with your tone mapping settings.

Nice intel. I will have a play around on a new mode and try to reduce the grain.

 

Btw, took down TK first time this morning boom. Ate his souls but then read someone in 2-1 can use them for some super upgrades... Annoying.

 

Should I be venturing to 2-1 now? Seems like the rest of 1_x is closed off until I defeat someone.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, skittles said:

Nice intel. I will have a play around on a new mode and try to reduce the grain.

 

Btw, took down TK first time this morning boom. Ate his souls but then read someone in 2-1 can use them for some super upgrades... Annoying.

 

Should I be venturing to 2-1 now? Seems like the rest of 1_x is closed off until I defeat someone.


The bosses souls can all be used for special weapons, magic, miracles. Sit on them until you find out if you want what it can grant you.

 

I would say venture into 2-1, it’s the next most straightforward level. You may need a different weapon for the enemies though depending on what you’re using.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I finished 5-1 this morning.

Somehow, even though it’s a new engine they’ve managed to include the jank! LOL!

 

I was always aware of what I thought was a “shortcut” on this level. I found it today but have to say it was a bit disappointing. I thought it was going to be a super saver but really, it’s nothing special. It still makes you go through the worst room in the game.

 

Spoiler

Damned room full of plague rats!

 

Found a safe spot for the boss (ranged) so sat there and shot the hell out of him. I have no regrets. I also dropped a little msg there to let others know.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Calashnikov said:


 

  Hide contents

I spoke to him in human form and he gave me a wee spiel about what he’s been doing with humans before drawing his sword on me. Was a real dun-dun-DUN moment. Did you just randomly start wailing on him without seeing that exchange?

 

Yes...

Spoiler

He cried "why?" when I first hit him, and in his death throes he said something about Mephistopheles being right about me...

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.