IGNORED

Demon's Souls - remake's OUT - mindful of the spoilers, please!

robdood

17 minutes ago, CrichStand said:

I’ve gone back for another go at Maneater myself and.........I’m a whisker away from never playing this shitty game ever again! Lol. It’s AAA grade bullshit.

Beat the first one just as the 2nd turns up. The 2nd one goes mental, does 3 massive attacks in a row from offscreen behind me.......instant death. Reload, run back to the Phantom......waaaaaait foooooor iiiiiiit toooooo waaaaaalk doooooown theeeeee staaaaaairs aaaaaand tuuuuuuurn arooooooound. Fucking tedious. Kill it, run to boss. It instantly kills me with a move that only took half my health off before! Reload, run back to Phantom, waaaaaaait agaaaaaaaain foooooor iiiiiiit. Kill it. Run to boss. Almost beat the first one.......it teleports across the fucking bridge and kills me in one hit. WHAT!?!? Reload. Run back to Phantom. Can’t be arsed with the waiting, attack it. It kills me in one hit. Reload. Run back to Phantom. Attack it. It paralyses me. It attacks me whilst I’m paralysed. It knocks me off the edge. Reload. Run back to Phantom. Go back to waiting again. Kill it. Run back to the boss. Almost got the first one out of the way. He suddenly flies into me.......it knocks me sideways defying all laws of physics, so that I’m conveniently perched on the edge of the platform and........oh look, he’s teleported into me before I even get chance to get up and knocked me off the edge. Absolute bullshit!

The game is riddled with unfair and poor design. There’s a fair bit of trial and error gameplay too. Whole sections that are utterly tedious and a chore to play that you’ve already beaten 5000 times and now require the patience of a saint to grind through over and over again, in order to just have another go at the bit of game you actually need to beat to progress things.

There’s also very little skill but a massive amount of luck involved in a lot of it.  I’ve seen standard enemies that you can breeze through most of the time, suddenly doing extra moves that kill you outright. Enemies suddenly rushing you in a group when they’ve never done that before and all attacking at once instantly killing you. Bosses that are magnetically drawn to you and suddenly kill you in one hit or somehow override your attacks to kill you in one hit. Bosses that have attacks you can’t evade that kill you in one hit. It’s cheap as chips. I’ve played all the Souls games and Bloodborne. This is the first one that has ever made me call “bullshit”! 

No idea how I’m supposed to level up my stats now though! I’m Soul Level 47. It costs about 13,000 souls just to level up one stat. Max I seem to get from an enemy = 400 souls......and they’re the ones that can kill me in a single hit! 

World 4 has Black Tendency. I’m on the boss. I have to run past enemies shooting me from off screen that can instantly kill me, whilst on narrow ledges that if I fall off I instantly die, whilst fighting standard enemies that can kill me in one hit that, are accompanied by Phantoms that can kill me by just looking at me, whilst other enemies shoot at me from distance. If I die I can kiss goodbye to any Souls I’ve collected too. It’s proper Billy Bullshit!

I can go to 5-1 but it requires a 5min+ run to the boss, through the entire level, fighting unavoidable enemies that can kill me in a single hit. That’s if my character doesn’t glitch of a ledge to his death.

I can go to 1-3 and do another run to the boss there that takes ages. Or I can repeat the utterly bullshit Maneater fight on 3-2 until I somehow manage to beat it. How am I supposed to gain Souls doing any of this? Do I just have to spend ages replaying levels I’ve already completed or grinding for them on a specific spot or what? Sounds fun!

Also......to level up my weapon it now appears I need to go to the mine and grind for a random drop that is like 1 in 100 or something stupid. So run through level for 3mins.......kill specific enemy.......”nope didn’t get the item”.......run back to checkpoint for 3mins.......reload. Rinse and repeat. And this is supposed to be enjoyable in what way exactly?

Git gud.

It helped that the area I was dipping into for farming for souls also doubled up as the best area to farm for upgrade materials for my weapon (black skeleton back up the stairs from the boss room, coming from the 4-2 archstone). This meant I didn’t have to traipse back through a whole level, but if you’re rocking a weapon that needs 2-2 upgrade materials it’ll be a different story).

There are rings and consumables etc you can use to increase the drop rates and number of souls gained per kill btw. Get in about it.

10 minutes ago, Dr_Dave said:

Hah! I remember the first time I played Dark Souls... got up to the Taurus Demon boss, promptly died then realised what I would have to run through to try it again. Started rushing it, died repeatedly, got frustrated, couldn't understand how this could ever be described fun and swore I was never going to play it again...

Nine years later, I'm still playing Souls games almost to the exclusion of all others. I've SL1'd DS and DeS, and am greedily eyeing up guides on doing an SL1 run in DS2. I am quite happy to admit that Souls games have ruined most other modern games for me, which I don't get a tenth as much enjoyment from (with rare exceptions).

So in what way is it fun? I honestly have no idea :)

Can you tell I’m a bit frustrated with it? Lol.

Whilst I’ve played all the Souls games I’ve tended to end up getting distracted with other games, that are more my kind of thing, so have probably only scratched the surface with them. They always felt tough but fair to me though, in a way this doesn’t. 

It’s even more frustrating because a lot of the time this is really enjoyable........but then the next minute it’s really not. It feels a bit.......fruit machine! Bit random, bit luck based. My mate works for an Online Gambling company. Not too long ago, he was telling me about the psychology of the games they create and how they are designed to be addictive. It feels a lot like this is using the same techniques!

@CrichStand Nice rant. We’ve all been there and we all feel better afterwards.

Maneater: Wear the Thief ring to sprint past the phantom mindflayer (on his right) as long as he’s facing upwards. There’s room and it always works. Then summon help to beat the boss.

5-1: It’s a slog but be patient. Kite out mobs from groups, and find some space to fight the big boys. The boss is easy, just get in there, dance around and twat him.

1-3: It’s a long run, but there is NPC help available that trivialises the boss fight, you just need to collect a certain key in 1-3 and go use it just before the archstone.

There is definitely a sadistic edge in Demon's Souls, perhaps more so than in other From games, even though it's far from the hardest of the bunch. I personally don't mind. Dust yourself off and try again is my mantra. I don't think it's cheap though. Sadistic and sometimes unforgiving, sure. But there are always solutions to any problem and none of them have anything to do with luck. 

I also think it has some of their best level design and atmosphere and boy is it gorgeous.

Just now, CrichStand said:

It’s even more frustrating because a lot of the time this is really enjoyable........but then the next minute it’s really not. It feels a bit.......fruit machine! Bit random, bit luck based. My mate works for an Online Gambling company. Not too long ago, he was telling me about the psychology of the games they create and how they are designed to be addictive. It feels a lot like this is using the same techniques!

I tend to think the opposite. I find these games to be the opposite of luck based - they're more about patience and skill. I can't think of much in the game that can't be avoided by just taking your time, tackling enemies one at a time, getting better.

And that's the attraction for me. It's about the tangible quality of getting better - both in how I approach things, and how I fight enemies. There are countless times in all the games where I've thought a particular part was basically impossible. But every time I go through it, I find myself getting slightly better (once I get over the initial urge to rush through). I get further. I fight better. Until, at the very last, I can just plough through pretty much anything like a ninja.

And that feels real good.

In Souls games, the true enemy is not one particular boss or one particular level. It's yourself.

(and the friends we make along the way)

15 minutes ago, Calashnikov said:

It helped that the area I was dipping into for farming for souls also doubled up as the best area to farm for upgrade materials for my weapon (black skeleton back up the stairs from the boss room, coming from the 4-2 archstone). This meant I didn’t have to traipse back through a whole level, but if you’re rocking a weapon that needs 2-2 upgrade materials it’ll be a different story).

There are rings and consumables etc you can use to increase the drop rates and number of souls gained per kill btw. Get in about it.

I’m pretty much fully ringed up! Using Cling Ring (oh aye) and the Rat one at the moment. Quality Long Sword+4. Saints Robe and bits of the Burrower Armour. Soul Lvl 49. Vitality 12. Endurance 25. Strength 40, Dexterity 13. They’re the only stats I’ve upgraded. Was breezing through the game early doors. Fucking not know though! Lol.

13 minutes ago, jonamok said:

@CrichStand Nice rant. We’ve all been there and we all feel better afterwards.

Maneater: Wear the Thief ring to sprint past the phantom mindflayer (on his right) as long as he’s facing upwards. There’s room and it always works. Then summon help to beat the boss.

5-1: It’s a slog but be patient. Kite out mobs from groups, and find some space to fight the big boys. The boss is easy, just get in there, dance around and twat him.

1-3: It’s a long run, but there is NPC help available that trivialises the boss fight, you just need to collect a certain key in 1-3 and go use it just before the archstone.

Aaaaaaaand........I’m going back in!!! Hahaha. The mindflayer tip alone should help no end! Got about 30mins until the Mrs gets back in, so I can really let the expletives fly! 

Ninja update...

Completed 1-3 last night, I really liked the level design on this one and the convoluted scenic route that has you thinking "Jesus, this is going to be a long boss run if I die" until it results in a really good short cut with that "aaahhhh, that's where I am" feeling. It probably felt the most Bloodborne of design choices so far. The boss pegged me first time in as I massively mistimed a heal and underestimated how much his name applies to his damage. However...

Spoiler

...after respawning a cheeky little tip message sent me back to the end of 1-2 and the locked door I must have tried about 20 times but forgotten about and I released Biorr. After that the second boss attempt was trivial as he still takes all his damage through the massive 'stab' animation on Biorr (which meant I took him down in about 30 seconds given the huge blunt damage I'm dealing now).

Immediately started exploring 1-4 and hit my head against the spear Black Phantom. I reckon it is probably the hardest fight I've had so far including bosses, I just couldn't seem to get any rhythm to the parry or dodge and - with it being a scrapping spear - he cost me about 20-30k in repeated repairs of my destroyed gear.

In the end I reverted to type and baited him forwards a fair way and then backed off so he walked off to go home and then two-handed him in the back. Cheap but I'll take it, must have tried face-to-face about 15 times.

It was late so I've saved the game at the top of 1-4...

Spoiler

...staring at a big blue dragon who just roasted some fat guys.

Will continue the journey later and try and get this last boss done and finish the game.

@CrichStand sorry to hear you've hit a bit of an frustrating patch, I think we've all been there. Certainly I had one quite early around 1-2 and 2-1 where it just wasn't clicking and a bit of coaching from the gang here helped me get over the hump. I'd say either try and slow it all down and not rush back to things as that is where the frustration builds up, take each run slow and treat every enemy with the respect it deserves. Or maybe even give it a break for a while?

Personally I don't think it's a particularly cheap or random game, well not in my experience at least. Punishing yes, unfair no. Every time I've died I've at least known why (even if I've gone and done the same thing again straight away like an idiot :doh:).

One thing I would say is if you are still doing your two-handed no shield thing, it might be time to give a modified build a try. Two-handed dodge rolling has it's place but some fights - Maneater is a prime example - are ideal shield territory as there isn't the room for lots of dodging and flanking, and if you have a 100% damage reduction shield you can easily soak up 3-5 hits from them and then go heal up. Obviously play the game how you want though :) 

Also if you want to level yourself faster then I'd recommend 4-2 as you can bag a fairly safe 20k in under 10 minutes if you need to right at the start.

Fuck’s sake! Just realised the Mind-flayer dodge only works AFTER he’s walked all the way down and turned around. That’s the bit that’s driving me up the wall as much as anything - the run back through the level and the waiting. It’s just minutes of empty play time each go. Just tried Maneater again. Knocks me down then kills me whilst I’m down, don’t get chance to get back up. It’s stupid!

@FiveFootNinja Think i’ll give it a rest for a bit, as I’ve now got no healing items left! FML! I

I can’t get to 4-2 because of the Black Tendency on that Archstone. Most of the enemies on that 1st level, and especially the ones on the way to the boss (couple of Phantoms at the same time as standard enemies) can instantly kill me and it’s a long run. The things shooting me from off screen are doing my nut in too, though at least there are decent audio cues for their attacks. Got the Adjudicator Shield so might give that a go.

So frustrated with it at the moment, as I’d just done 1-3 up to the boss and really enjoyed that level and like you mention the shortcut was well handled. Reminded me of Dark Souls!

34 minutes ago, Vemsie said:

There is definitely a sadistic edge in Demon's Souls, perhaps more so than in other From games, even though it's far from the hardest of the bunch. I personally don't mind. Dust yourself off and try again is my mantra. I don't think it's cheap though. Sadistic and sometimes unforgiving, sure. But there are always solutions to any problem and none of them have anything to do with luck. 

I also think it has some of their best level design and atmosphere and boy is it gorgeous.

Yeah, totally agree about the atmosphere and the graphics being gorgeous! I’d also add that the audio is absolutely phenomenal. One of the best sounding games I’ve ever played, the surround sound is stunning. Really immerses you in the environments.

52 minutes ago, CrichStand said:

Quality Long Sword+4. Saints Robe and bits of the Burrower Armour. Soul Lvl 49. Vitality 12. Endurance 25. Strength 40, Dexterity 13.

FWIW that's a bunch of strength that you're not getting anywhere near enough out of with your Quality Long Sword. Consider upgrading a decent strength based weapon with Crushing. 

Yeah, I'd noticed Quality isn't the way to go for a Strength build. I don't have the option to make anything other than Quality, Moon and something else (Blessed?) yet, but none of them scale with strength. I've just taken my Long Sword to a base +7, which I assume is wasteful.

1 hour ago, CrichStand said:

Fuck’s sake! Just realised the Mind-flayer dodge only works AFTER he’s walked all the way down and turned around. That’s the bit that’s driving me up the wall as much as anything - the run back through the level and the waiting. It’s just minutes of empty play time each go. Just tried Maneater again. Knocks me down then kills me whilst I’m down, don’t get chance to get back up. It’s stupid!

@FiveFootNinja Think i’ll give it a rest for a bit, as I’ve now got no healing items left! FML! I

I can’t get to 4-2 because of the Black Tendency on that Archstone. Most of the enemies on that 1st level, and especially the ones on the way to the boss (couple of Phantoms at the same time as standard enemies) can instantly kill me and it’s a long run. The things shooting me from off screen are doing my nut in too, though at least there are decent audio cues for their attacks. Got the Adjudicator Shield so might give that a go.

So frustrated with it at the moment, as I’d just done 1-3 up to the boss and really enjoyed that level and like you mention the shortcut was well handled. Reminded me of Dark Souls!

Use the fountain thing up the stairs in the maneater fight to crowd control the two of them.  They get stuck behind it giving you enough time for healing when you get them down to one. 

Spawn in the Tower Knight arena and run the two blue knights and archers for soul and grass farming. Can get a good load of souls up in 20 minutes of farming. 

53 minutes ago, petrolgirls said:

FWIW that's a bunch of strength that you're not getting anywhere near enough out of with your Quality Long Sword. Consider upgrading a decent strength based weapon with Crushing. 

I’ve ended up looking stuff up, which I didn’t really want to do. Discovered the items i’ve been trying to farm aren’t even in the area I was searching for them in. Turns out the exact same enemy has them but on the following level and it takes about 5mins to get them. Typical! So, just to check........should I use the Pure Clearstone and the items I’ve found, to upgrade my Quality Long Sword+4 to a +5 or would I be better off using them for something else? I’m used to games like Ninja Gaiden, Bayonetta etc so have been playing in a similar style to those games - dodging and countering.

20 minutes ago, Steven said:

Yep, it has C scaling with strength. Go with a crushing LS+5 and you have S scaling with strength, with a base of 120 DMG. You upgrade it from a LS+3.

My sword currently does about 170DMG. How do I upgrade a sword so it’s “Crushing”? Will that match my style of play?

13 minutes ago, kris_doe said:

Use the fountain thing up the stairs in the maneater fight to crowd control the two of them.  They get stuck behind it giving you enough time for healing when you get them down to one. 

Spawn in the Tower Knight arena and run the two blue knights and archers for soul and grass farming. Can get a good load of souls up in 20 minutes of farming. 

Found that little run myself the other day. Brilliant for healing items. Takes about 15mins to get enough souls to raise one stat though even using the ring to gain extra souls.

Will try that Maneater tip out. Thanks for that! Hopefully it will do the trick!

Had a quick go at the boss on 1-3. Seems more my kind of boss, closer to the stuff in games I’d usually play. Easier to counter, get some hits in and evade his follow ups which are all well signposted. Got him down to under half health first go, so should have him next attempt! 

1 hour ago, CrichStand said:

The things shooting me from off screen are doing my nut in too, though at least there are decent audio cues for their attacks.

If they are in range to hit you, you are in range to hit them with a bow (and with your strength will probably be a 1 or 2 hit kill). Gets you a few souls and stops them being annoying :) 

Re: Crushing... I've not found how to actually make them yet so can't help you there, but if you can it'll be perfect for your build as it scales the damage purely based on your strength (which is higher than mine even though I'm 25 soul levels higher).

On that note, your low vitality won't be helping things and makes you very much a glass canon. With a bit more in that you can soak up a few more inevitable hits/mistakes and shouldn't get one-shotted by much.

26 minutes ago, CrichStand said:

My sword currently does about 170DMG. How do I upgrade a sword so it’s “Crushing”? Will that match my style of play?

I'd leave that weapon as is, upgrading it to Crushing will lose all the previous stats. Choose any weapon you're comfortable with and upgrade it with greystone - it won't alter the moveset. There's a Crushing Battle Axe +1 in 2-1, might be worth giving that a go first as it's pre-upgraded. 

2 hours ago, CrichStand said:

You know about ‘short cut’ in 4-1?

That might help things a bit.

Spoiler

3 hours ago, CrichStand said:

Vitality 12. Strength 40

:lol:

You must know that's why you're dying in one hit.

Also, have you been to 3-1?

Spoiler

You can learn how to fight the phantom properly, then it's trivial. The ranged soul arrows are easy to dodge when it points its finger, and you just have to get close, bait the bell ring or green zap, back away to safe distance and then move up to attack.

Don't get greedy, but if it flinches when you hit it, you can get another attack in.

Had a massive panic earlier as I patiently explored 2-2 for the first time (after a few Deaths By Explosion right at the start) and was in the depths of its winding tunnels below, having killed all the giant fire slugs and sandworms en route.

I found the big fog gate but was around 99% capacity for items (and also I am a coward) so I decided to run back to the Nexus. Just before reaching the elevator the game crashed and chucked me back to the PS5 home screen. The game wouldn't boot without a system restart. I was terrified I'd have lost almost an hour's worth of progress but luckily it had saved when I picked up an item so it loaded right back there, phew.

Dashed back down and the boss was pretty straightforward anyway, thankfully; just a big baddie from Doom I had to patiently slash at. I also found a weapon I dont have the stats to weild:

Spoiler

Hands of God! I need a load more faith to use them but I love punching and I love God Hand so I wanna give 'em a go!

New patch just killed multi-player and helping people get WWT or BWT, they added soul level limit to password invasions (why?!) and now they sorted the ping out on the server screen the player base is split between Europe and the US and there's just not enough players due to the limited PS5 playerbase.

8 hours ago, Uncle Mike said:

Yeah, I'd noticed Quality isn't the way to go for a Strength build. I don't have the option to make anything other than Quality, Moon and something else (Blessed?) yet, but none of them scale with strength. I've just taken my Long Sword to a base +7, which I assume is wasteful.

Don't overthink the weapon upgrades. The differences aren't that huge. Even a bog standard normal weapon +10 will see you to the end, even if you stay at its equip requirement str/dex. 

Its fun to replay and purposefully pile everything heavily into one specific style, but on a first play through? Nah. 

Just make sure you've got some sort of +10 weapon, and about 25 each for health / stamina. The rest is a distraction, for a first timer. 

(imo of course) 

Cheers. I was more replying to the other post than trying to get overly-intense on mine. But I do appreciate the tip!

I had a semi-productive short session today. I'd googled what the talking tree in 4-1 was, and learned how to get a thing I wanted

Spoiler

The Royal's starting Fragrant Ring

Which I then took to 2-1 and combined with my Clever Rat ring to do in the Red Dragon (that my abortive Royal had killed, but my Knight had not.)

I did a fair explore in 2-2 also. Think I shortcutted some area, as I rolled off some exposed scaffolding and couldn't obviously close the loop. But I got suckered into an obvious trap (to no ill-effect.)

So I've got a few levels on the go at the moment - notably 4-1 and 2-2.

I'm having quite a lot of fun with this! I was not at all sure I was going to on my first go.

12 hours ago, petrolgirls said:

I'd leave that weapon as is, upgrading it to Crushing will lose all the previous stats. Choose any weapon you're comfortable with and upgrade it with greystone - it won't alter the moveset. There's a Crushing Battle Axe +1 in 2-1, might be worth giving that a go first as it's pre-upgraded. 

Bit confused now! My Quality Longsword+4 has Attribute Bonus C for Strength and Dexterity and it’s light, so seems to fit my character really well. It does 128 +58 Attack. At +5 it will do 140 +77 Attack. It has both Normal and Piercing damage. 

The Crushing Battle Axe+1 only has normal damage and does 88 +46 Attack. I appear to have no way of upgrading it. The Blacksmiths don’t give me any option as to how to upgrade stuff. It just allows me to upgrade to the next level using pre-defined items. I’ve got loads of weapons in storage but the Quality Long Sword seems to have the best stats, and the best Attribute bonuses for my Knight. How do I use Greystone to upgrade?

Appreciate all the help from everyone! Didn’t know the shortcut on 4-1 so that will make a big difference. Also haven’t used a bow at any point, so will give that a go too!

11 hours ago, wretcherd said:

:lol:

You must know that's why you're dying in one hit.

Also, have you been to 3-1?

Reveal hidden contents

You can learn how to fight the phantom properly, then it's trivial. The ranged soul arrows are easy to dodge when it points its finger, and you just have to get close, bait the bell ring or green zap, back away to safe distance and then move up to attack.

Don't get greedy, but if it flinches when you hit it, you can get another attack in.

Well I’ve breezed through to the boss of 1-3.
Finished all of Archstone 2 with only a slight blip on FL.

Breezed straight through to Maneater on 3-2, to the point where fighting enemies had no challenge at all.

Was fine on 4-1 until it had Black Tendency with numerous Phantoms alongside standard enemies.

I’m fine on Archstone 5 so far. Up to the boss on 5-1 but having to run through the entire level to get to him is a ball ache!

So yeah, obviously I’ve been to 3-1 if I’m on the 3-2 boss! :) The Mindflayers on 3-1 are easy. Run straight up to them......tap, tap.......and they’re down. The Phantom Mindflayer on 3-2 is also easy to kill, it’s just having to wait for it to walk down the stairs and turn around that is annoying, as all I want to do is get back to the boss ASAP to have another crack at it.

Also, it’s not that stuff kills me in one hit. It’s that enemies can get multiple hits in unfairly. Take that one Phantom Mindflayer on the stairs for example - it can hit you and paralyse you, then attack you while paralysed knocking you down, then attack you and kill you before you even get chance to get back up! It’s bullshit, especially seeing as to that point in that whole world, every other enemy poses no threat at all. Same for Maneater. You can have one onscreen that you’re fighting, whilst the other one hits you from behind and offscreen. They can both knock you down and kill you whilst you’re down. It’s cheap as owt!

17 hours ago, kris_doe said:

Best advice ever! Thank you!!!

Have to admit that I’d never even run that far along the platform! I was trying to stay on the bit with the pillars, so there was less chance of being knocked off. It appears your way of doing it, is actually how the boss is designed to be tackled. Ridiculously easy, did it first attempt! Onwards and upwards!!! :)

Edit: And that’s the 1-3 and 5-1 bosses down too now! 

4 hours ago, CrichStand said:

The Crushing Battle Axe+1 only has normal damage and does 88 +46 Attack. I appear to have no way of upgrading it. The Blacksmiths don’t give me any option as to how to upgrade stuff.

I’m confused too. You are going to the Blacksmith in 2-1, right? He should be able to further upgrade that axe with greystone - get it to +5 and it'll S scale, with your strength stat that'll do some serious damage. Obviously if you don't like the Axe's moveset then don't upgrade it, but don't upgrade your longsword +7 to Crushing either. You must have several vanilla longswords in your inventory, upgrade one of them instead. Better yet, if you like the swords moveset then try out a claymore or knights sword, both are heavier and the claymore is a little slower but both do significantly more damage than a longsword.