IGNORED

Demon's Souls - remake's OUT - mindful of the spoilers, please!

robdood

14 minutes ago, Parappa said:

I managed what I assume is 1-1 yesterday. I felt like a king and assumed the credits were going to role. They didn't. :P

So do I move onto the 2nd stone thingy or continue with 1st one?

As a fellow noob, I would suggest you carry on with the 1st for a bit, and if you find it annoying move to the 2nd before you get frustrated.

15 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

As a fellow noob, I would suggest you carry on with the 1st for a bit, and if you find it annoying move to the 2nd before you get frustrated.

OK thanks mate - I gave that a quick spin and it seems kind of doable.  That dragon though..

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.7efc98784c2818fa0b478da3d082427f.png

7 hours ago, FiveFootNinja said:

@Uncle Mike 5-2 is a lot less about falling off things than 5-1... but it definitely has it's own challenges to face.

@CrichStand Without sounding flippant, it feels a bit like the core design of this just doesn't quick click with you. Death, and the resulting repeating of areas, is kind of the point of the game. It's about struggling against challenges both enemy, environmental and mechanics wise, and then learning how to beat them the next time. It sounds like the odd glitch (like the falling off the ledge thing) has got in the way in places which is understandably annoying, but things like the trap, hidden creatures, etc.. are there exactly for you to potentially die against the first time and then avoid or deal with the next time. I really don't think the game is cheap or the designers are trolling you or trying to waste your time, that is just the game they have made.

Obviously whether you like that or not is totally your call and kudos for sticking with it if it annoys you. :) 

I'll go back to a previous post though... your build choice is very strength focused and sounds good for unleashing some pain, but it does bring some inherent challenges that more balanced build won't have. Such low hit points (and not using a shield) will make pretty much everything one-shot you later in the game so you should expect to die a lot more until you nail a perfect run. If you don't want that then you should probably be tanking that vitality up a bit to be able to soak more punishment.  For example with my build at that time the trap you mention would maybe take off 30-50% of my health meaning I could trigger it unknowingly, give myself a little telling off for not spotting it, have some grass and still carry on. For you there will be much less margin for error.

Anyway, I hope you manage to stay on the 'still enjoying it' side of the coin. Good luck with the rest of the journey. 

Think you've misunderstood my post. I'm actually finding the gane easy, especially considering the hype around the game's difficulty and what I was expecting going into it. My character seems almost invincible even without upgrading my vitality. By this point i can take most enemies down in a couple of hits and providing you know whether an enemy needs to be struck first or countered its a doddle! Certainly absolutely nowhere near something like Ninja Gaiden or DMC3 in terms of difficulty. You really do need to "get good" in order to beat them. With Demon's Souls, if you're struggling, you can just grind for Souls, uograde stuff and that will see you through.

Whilst I think there is a fair bit of trial and error ganeplay and need of external knowledge, which is pretty suspect, the examples I gave show how well designed the game actually is.

I grew up with Sega Blue Sky gaming. Titles like Outrun, that are designed to make you feel good at every possible opportunity. Demons Souls is the total opposite! The developers are pretty much trolling you, and willing you to mess up at every given opportunity. At first it can feel frustrating and poorly designed because of that. But now, coming towards the end of the game, it's actually pretty funny, as it's clear it's a conscious design decision.

That treasure is there to bait you into falling off the broken ledge or stand on the trap. The Reaper that doesn't attack you?  Its there so you attack it.......and subsequently fall off the edge of the ledge it's balanced on, that you don't even realise is the case until it's too late! The other Reaper is purposefully placed to attack you where you can't see it and screw your run up! It's proper grade A trolling, that i imagine the designers had a lot of fun coming up with!

Edit: Also the whole messaging system ties into that too. Someone might leave you help warning you to watch out........whilst someone else might leave a message trying to fool you and get you killed. 

Oh dear, I’m running into real issues with 5-2. Despite the game running perfectly up to this point, it’s crashing for me every single time I try to make my way through 5-2. I’ve restarted my PS5 and it’s still happening. 

Interestingly the Swamp of Sorrow activity card in my PS5 also is bugged out after a crash. It just shows ‘Can’t load. Something went wrong’. I feel like this is the game getting revenge on me for hiding and poisoning too many bosses. 

54 minutes ago, CrichStand said:

Certainly absolutely nowhere near something like Ninja Gaiden or DMC3 in terms of difficulty.

Demon's Souls is comfortably the easiest of the Soulsborne games I'd say, the lack of checkpointing is the main challenge. Bloodborne, arguably the spiritual successor to Demon's, is much trickier. 

1 hour ago, petrolgirls said:

Demon's Souls is comfortably the easiest of the Soulsborne games I'd say, the lack of checkpointing is the main challenge. Bloodborne, arguably the spiritual successor to Demon's, is much trickier. 

Yeah, totally agree. Played a bit of Dark Souls 3 on PS4 before starting this and that was definitely way harder. Might give it another go after finishing this up what with it being 60fps on PS5. It’ll be interesting to see if the stuff I’ve learnt transfers to that. Still got the Dark Souls Remaster and Bloodborne to have a crack at too! 

Have to say that, despite the later games definitely building on and refining the gameplay on display here, I think I prefer this overall. There’s just something about it, that makes it a bit special. Maybe it’s the Archstones and the games structure? Not really sure. Either way, it’s a brilliant game and an absolutely incredible launch title.

1 hour ago, Pungee said:

Oh dear, I’m running into real issues with 5-2. Despite the game running perfectly up to this point, it’s crashing for me every single time I try to make my way through 5-2. I’ve restarted my PS5 and it’s still happening. 

Interestingly the Swamp of Sorrow activity card in my PS5 also is bugged out after a crash. It just shows ‘Can’t load. Something went wrong’. I feel like this is the game getting revenge on me for hiding and poisoning too many bosses. 

Man, that proper sucks! I’ve had the same activity cards glitch too. Had one crash on a boss and a couple of cases of the game refusing to load. I’m on 5-2 myself so I’ll report back if I have any issues.

8 hours ago, Majora said:

I've never been able to bring myself to touch Bloodborne again after I finally got all the way to final boss, selected the wrong dialogue option by accident and got the bad ending without even getting the chance to fight. 

It's a game that merits and rewards multiple replays with different builds and weapons, so well done for getting the first ending. Now you can see the game from another perspective. 

After breezing through 5-1 and 4-2 I had a go at 2-3 and had an absolute nightmare of a time. Took me 30 attempts to reach the end of the boss battle and even then I managed to mess up:

Spoiler

Switched to Hands of God (which I'm not equipped to use as I have 8 faith of a required 16) to finish him off since there's a trophy for it: immediately burned myself up.

Ten further attempts and I haven't been able to beat the first section. Ouch. Gonna make a dinner, watch a few christmas films and drink away the frustration. 

On 16/12/2020 at 20:30, LaveDisco said:

Coming into this hot after dark souls 3. And it’s brilliant. First time round I didn’t like the   5 different levels compared to the open world. But I like the focus it gives it now. 

1-1, 1-2, and 2-1 down so far. All just beginning. 

always gone strength in souls games so far, but I’m trying magic this time with royalty. 

4-1 down as well. This is just sooooooo good. 

Fucking 5-2 can fuck. Off. That big bastard that gets to you just as you're half in, half out of the goop and you can't quite roll and do that stupid animation. The goop that you can't run in. The poisoning. The narrow walkways. The darkness. The flying cunts and the ambush cunts.

None of it is truly that tricky but fuck it adds up. I am slowly tricking myself out for it though, I guess. Dragon Sword, traded a Hard Demon Soul for Fire Spray spell, poison resistance ring and so on. But I'm starting to run low on the poison lotuses.

What a fuck of a level.

Just discovered this is even easier than I first thought! Right at the end of the game and only just discovered that you can return to human form by using a certain item! I basically could have been playing through everything with double the health! Lol.

Also, tried the little run at the start of 4-2 which bags you 5000 souls in under a minute! Can level your character up no end doing that. Finally stuck some points on vitality as I’ve not really got any reason to upgrade anything else.

I’ve put World 2 into Black Tendency and farmed for a few items there and finally upgraded my Crushing Battle Axe to +5 to get the S Strength Attribute. All in, probably spent a couple of hrs doing it to find out it only gives me 30 extra points per hit over my Longsword! 

Just entered 4-2 to play through it to the boss in Soul form. Tendency was neutral. 5mins in I was invaded by a Black Phantom. How does that work? Thought you had to be in Soul form and the World had to be towards Black for that to happen? They were fast as fuck and had a HUGE fuck off sword with a ridiculous reach and so eventually killed me, couldn’t even run and heal. The Tendency on the level has now completely changed to pure black and seems to be a fair bit harder. What happened there?

2 hours ago, CrichStand said:

Just discovered this is even easier than I first thought! Right at the end of the game and only just discovered that you can return to human form by using a certain item! I basically could have been playing through everything with double the health! Lol.

Nah. Dying in human form fucks up your world tendency. People purposefully throw themselves off the highest height in the Nexus to get out of it :lol: 

11 hours ago, Uncle Mike said:

Fucking 5-2 can fuck. Off. That big bastard that gets to you just as you're half in, half out of the goop and you can't quite roll and do that stupid animation. The goop that you can't run in. The poisoning. The narrow walkways. The darkness. The flying cunts and the ambush cunts.

None of it is truly that tricky but fuck it adds up. I am slowly tricking myself out for it though, I guess. Dragon Sword, traded a Hard Demon Soul for Fire Spray spell, poison resistance ring and so on. But I'm starting to run low on the poison lotuses.

What a fuck of a level.

It was the one I possibly spent most time on, along with 4-2. The closer you get to unlocking the shortcut, the more careful you have to be.

For info, you can run in the goop, you just can't roll. Realising that made it a bit more manageable. 

12 hours ago, CrichStand said:

Also, tried the little run at the start of 4-2 which bags you 5000 souls in under a minute! Can level your character up no end doing that. Finally stuck some points on vitality as I’ve not really got any reason to upgrade anything else.

I’ve put World 2 into Black Tendency and farmed for a few items there and finally upgraded my Crushing Battle Axe to +5 to get the S Strength Attribute. All in, probably spent a couple of hrs doing it to find out it only gives me 30 extra points per hit over my Longsword! 

Just entered 4-2 to play through it to the boss in Soul form. Tendency was neutral. 5mins in I was invaded by a Black Phantom. How does that work? Thought you had to be in Soul form and the World had to be towards Black for that to happen? They were fast as fuck and had a HUGE fuck off sword with a ridiculous reach and so eventually killed me, couldn’t even run and heal. The Tendency on the level has now completely changed to pure black and seems to be a fair bit harder. What happened there?

The caveat to being in human form is that you can be invaded by other players, and dying in that form also affects your world tendency towards black and makes everything harder. So it’s not all roses! As Calashnikov mentions, people deliberately kill themselves in the Nexus as to not affect their world tendency or be invaded.

9 hours ago, Calashnikov said:

Nah. Dying in human form fucks up your world tendency. People purposefully throw themselves off the highest height in the Nexus to get out of it :lol: 

Yeah, that’s how I got the drops I needed to upgrade my weapon on 2-3. Used a stone then just threw myself off a ledge. I’m finding that if you get into human form it’s very difficult to actually get killed though, as you have way more health. Definitely not a problem, at least not using my character late game.

Just done 4-2 on Pure Black Tendency. Thought it was one of the easiest levels yet. It’s not very long and you can just run past everything to the boss in about a minute. Boss was the easiest so far too. Don’t see how you would ever get him by him.  Think I’ve only got a couple of levels left now. Really don’t want it to end. 

I'm finding the item carry limit in this quite annoying. I understand why they've done it (to stop players carrying around a billion healing items) but you can still carry so many at once as to make the limit mostly pointless anyway. I just see no good need for the shards/chunks to count towards the limit because they give you no gameplay advantage and it just means I'm constantly loading and unloading shards and chunks whenever I want to go and see the blacksmith.  It would just save tedium to let you carry all the upgrade materials around with you without compromising balance in any way.

On a brighter note for me, I just managed to get 20K souls out of 5-2 (in which I've not yet made it to the second fog gate although I did see it in my last run.)

That probably gives you an idea how many times I'm dying there. Very annoying level.

But I am making progress! Chickened out at the sight of an island with two of those big fucks and some green glowing presumed fuck.

@Uncle Mike

Tips for 5-2 if you want them..

Spoiler

Ignore the islands and run through the swamp (stay right) wearing the Thief ring and the Poison ring. When you get poisoned, swap the poison ring for the regenerator ring. You’ll barely lose any health and you’ll aggro nothing. Through the fog gate and same again. Heal up after the second fog gate and then take your time.

Thanks for the tips @jonamok. I think what I've realised is that a: I either need to raise the brightness or only play at night (too much stuff and pitfalls hiding in the shadows) and b: just learn to do it. I've made it through the second fog gate now quite straightforwardly, although I then died doing unnecessary exploration of where the slugs in the second area were coming from and stupidly, too.

Still, progress is being made again. Toughen up! I was particularly low on personal resilience yesterday, for real-world reasons. Lesson learnt.

Finally defeated all of 5-2! I did not much enjoy most of that, the poison, the gloop, the plague. But I had two runs this morning, one stupidly dying at the same slug exploration spot, (but thankfully having recovered my previous souls) and then once where I got all the way round and unlocked the shortcut! At last.

Took a gamble, didn't zip back to the Nexus and spend my 10k souls on anything, so took them to see the boss. Who then died first time. Nice.

Other than a suspect piece of loot guarded by what looks like 3 of the big fucks (and therefore presumably worthwhile) I've cleaned the place out (including slug corner) so I don't really ever have to go back there. Although I guess the irony is that it doesn't hold much fear for me now, either.

God, the whole of 5 is going to be horrible, isn't it.

Made a lot of progress, finishing off the second and fourth archstones and clearing 1-3. Missed a couple of bosses trophy requirements (1-2 and 3-1) but hopefully I can just come back to those later on a fresh save or NG+.

Paranoid I'm overlooking a lot of stuff with weapons/armour etc but hopefully I can muddle through the last few stages and read tips online once the credits roll.