IGNORED

Demon's Souls - remake's OUT - mindful of the spoilers, please!

robdood

19 hours ago, Majora said:

I'm finding the item carry limit in this quite annoying. I understand why they've done it (to stop players carrying around a billion healing items) but you can still carry so many at once as to make the limit mostly pointless anyway. I just see no good need for the shards/chunks to count towards the limit because they give you no gameplay advantage and it just means I'm constantly loading and unloading shards and chunks whenever I want to go and see the blacksmith.  It would just save tedium to let you carry all the upgrade materials around with you without compromising balance in any way.

Don’t think there is that much balance in terms of the healing items. Not sure of the maximum amount you can carry but I’ve had over 80 on me at once and still been able to quick roll! Hardly used any at all for a while now either, so have a massive stockpile, as I wear the Adjudicator Shield for healing whilst going two handed. Barely ever get hit by anything now anyway.

Just done the 4-3 boss. Swear the end game stuff is getting easier and easier. The scale of the boss though, the graphics, the audio......it’s a bit epic! Said it before but, the audio on this is the best I’ve ever heard. Absolutely amazing on headphones!

Now to see what all the fuss is about when it comes to 5-2.......

I'm having an absolute nightmare with this crashing in 5-2 now. I've done a bunch of testing and, no matter what I try, the game will crash with error CE-108255-1 after about 5 minutes in the level. The weird thing is that all the other worlds play flawlessly. I was able to switch back to 1-3, complete the whole thing and beat the boss without a single issue but as soon as I went back to 5-2, it starts crashing again. 

I've deleted and reinstalled the game, rebuilt the PS5 database in safe mode and tried playing with the network connection disabled on the console level but nothing has worked. I've come so far - I just want to finish this!

1 hour ago, Pungee said:

I'm having an absolute nightmare with this crashing in 5-2 now. I've done a bunch of testing and, no matter what I try, the game will crash with error CE-108255-1 after about 5 minutes in the level. The weird thing is that all the other worlds play flawlessly. I was able to switch back to 1-3, complete the whole thing and beat the boss without a single issue but as soon as I went back to 5-2, it starts crashing again. 

I've deleted and reinstalled the game, rebuilt the PS5 database in safe mode and tried playing with the network connection disabled on the console level but nothing has worked. I've come so far - I just want to finish this!

That sounds well shit and incredibly frustrating. Are all your other games playing ok? I did have a couple of occasions where the game wouldn’t load and also had a crash that triggered a “rebuilding database” screen but since those few hiccups everything has worked flawlessly. I’ve just played through 5-2 and not had any issues myself. Had a quick look on Google to see if I could find anything that might help but, there doesn’t seem to be anything specific to Demon’s Souls or that level, just various games crashing. Hopefully things will be sorted for you soon!

So yeah, just played through 5-2. Easiest level yet by quite some way and also the easiest boss, all done first time, with no problems at all. Boss was massively underwhelming, just ran straight up to it, stood behind it and hacked away. Job done! Have to say that, far too many bosses in this are the same. Just run up to them, stand behind them, hammer the attack button and you’ve won. No skill needed at all. Really spoils the game. Also finding that by this point, the game has no challenge at all. I’m Soul Level 79 have around 60,000 Souls on me and tens of thousands of them in storage.

The hype around the difficulty of this game is absolutely bizarre, not sure how or why it got its reputation? 

1 minute ago, CrichStand said:

The hype around the difficulty of this game is absolutely bizarre, not sure how or why it got its reputation? 

I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that most people are experienced Soulsborne players by now. It was something else back in the day, when it was an almost impenetrable game, especially when there weren't any guides for it yet.

2 hours ago, Pungee said:

Could this actually be a problem with the PS5?

A quick search of the error bringS back this page.

https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/support/error-codes/ps5/ce-108255-1/

Seems to be the case that if you’ve done what you said you’ve done and you’re still getting problems that you need to go to PlayStation support.

1 hour ago, Vemsie said:

I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that most people are experienced Soulsborne players by now. It was something else back in the day, when it was an almost impenetrable game, especially when there weren't any guides for it yet.

Yeah, you’re right there! I definitely get the part about it being impenetrable in certain ways, as that’s been one of my complaints - there’s a fair bit of obtuse stuff in the game that really requires external knowledge. However, this is my first real play through of a Soulsborne game. I stopped playing all the others very early on. I’m definitely not experienced with them!

1 hour ago, Marlew said:

@CrichStand Immense trolling, almost seems specifically designed to irritate me. Well done. 

I’m not trolling mate. Its my honest opinion. It’s not a difficult game at all. In fact, most of the games I’ve played recently have been more challenging than this such as - Everybody’s Golf (final course), Mario 64 (about 70 Stars in), WRC9 (with Fatal Damage on), Resogun etc. The main difference is that with those games you need to play with skill in order to beat them. With this, you can simply just level up your character. As others have stated, in certain areas of the game, you can endlessly farm tens of thousands of Souls at a time, in just a few minutes of play. Do that and I’d imagine you’d become totally invincible! Even without farming my character feels unstoppable. 

And with just 2 levels left to play through, I think it’s safe to say that the further you get into the game then, the easier it gets, to the point it starts to feel unbalanced. I was hoping for a huge, epic build into some mental end bosses and some really difficult levels. Sadly it’s not panned out like that. Everything has got easier and easier and some of the bosses have felt like poorly designed damp squibs. Don’t get me wrong though, I still think it’s a brilliant game. It’s got some fantastic gameplay mechanics and some truly great level design that will stick with me for years to come.

Just to put it into perspective.......my idea of hard would be something like Trials - Inferno/Ninja levels. Or pretty much any game from the 80’s............when you had to spend 45mins loading them only to get a “Syntax Error” and have to rewind the tape and try again, just to get to the title screen! Lol.

The Soulsborne base games do get easier the further you get in them, but of the ones I have completed Dark Souls and Bloodborne raise the ante with DLC expansions that are absolutely brutal compared to the main game. I never finished Bloodborne’s and spent about five hours each on two of the main bosses in the Dark Souls one before finally beating it. 

I understand it’s no different for Dark Souls 2 and 3 - Demons is the odd one out that doesn’t have this kind of DLC.

2 hours ago, CrichStand said:

Just run up to them, stand behind them, hammer the attack button and you’ve won. No skill needed at all. 

:lol:

Fair play if you're finding it easy but I think deep down you know this isn't really an accurate summary of how things actually play out for most people.

You have to remember that as this game had no kind of re-balancing, it’s pretty much their first iteration of this series.

I know one thing they balanced as time went on, was runs to bosses and boss difficulty. I personally feel some of the bosses in this game are more straightforward to beat BECAUSE of the run required to get to them.

I also think NG+ is a whole different ball game. It will take a SL79, chew it up and spit it out no problem at all. 

I’m pretty deep into NG++ now and personally think the game would have benefitted from some re-balancing. I know it’s probably a can of worms though, which is why they decided to hold off.

The runs back to the bosses really put me off playing it sometimes I have to admit, which is why I've paused it for now to play something less brutal. 

I've completed world 2 so my options are the boss of 1-3, the boss of 3-2, the boss of 4-2 or just 5-2 in general.

4-2 seems like the easiest out of those three bosses but that narrow cliff section with the skeletons is such a pain when all you want to do is have another try. It's not hard but I feel like I have to be quite methodical.

I haven't tried just running past all the enemies in 1-3 so far. Distance wise it's not far to the boss but the amount of enemies standing between you and the boss is time-consuming. I should just do a few suicide runs to see if I can find a nice path back to the boss that won't get me stabbed in the back by one of the billion Knights.

13 minutes ago, Majora said:

The runs back to the bosses really put me off playing it sometimes I have to admit, which is why I've paused it for now to play something less brutal. 

I've completed world 2 so my options are the boss of 1-3, the boss of 3-2, the boss of 4-2 or just 5-2 in general.

4-2 seems like the easiest out of those three bosses but that narrow cliff section with the skeletons is such a pain when all you want to do is have another try. It's not hard but I feel like I have to be quite methodical.

I haven't tried just running past all the enemies in 1-3 so far. Distance wise it's not far to the boss but the amount of enemies standing between you and the boss is time-consuming. I should just do a few suicide runs to see if I can find a nice path back to the boss that won't get me stabbed in the back by one of the billion Knights.

I've yet to do 4-2 (completed all other Archstones), so I can't comment on that one. 5-2 can be a slog but if you play it carefully, it does have a super easy boss fight. Getting there is the hardest part, but if you get out of the swamp it does get easier. 1-3 does have a lot of enemies but another boss that is quite easy, but I have a magic build so perhaps it's a different story if you play with a melee build. 3-2 was probably the hardest boss fight in the game for me, even though it was the first one out of that list I did. The advantage of doing 3-2 or 5-2 first is that the runs to the next boss are super short for each (even though 3-3 is a bit nasty with the phantoms).

The difficulty definitely lies more in the unknowns. Once level layouts and enemy patterns/weaknesses are learned the bulk of the challenge is lessened. Even further if you've been able to get your head around the upgrade systems, spells and so on.

This is the first Souls game I've taken a proper stab at. It was definitely more difficult at the start than it is now (I didn't realise I could go elsewhere or spend souls to level up until after Tower Knight) but I've negated a lot of that difficulty now by cheaply bulking myself up to SL70. I can't imagine how long it would take to down some enemies at SL1. I'm sure my character started higher that that.

I'm generally not a fan of games where you level up or apply points to different stats and stuff but I do appreciate how it allows you to adjust the games difficulty to be as challenging as you'd like.

Allow me to add some perspective (perhaps even motivation?) for those who find this difficult: If I, king of "super-easy-peasy mode in all my games please", can get to the end credits of this game, then you fuckers should be able to as well. :P 

2 hours ago, wretcherd said:

This you?

Yep, that’s me! That backs up what I’m saying too! I was really frustrated/irritated at that point because I’d been breezing through the game. The enemies on 3-2 had posed that little challenge, I’d ended up just running past them all.......until I got to the boss (which seemed ridiculously cheap and poorly designed) and the run to it each time (which was considerable and dead time spent “playing”).

However, it turned out that, I apparently should have realised, given no clue or prompting, that I needed to stand in a certain area of the boss fight, in order to be able to beat the boss in a sensible fashion. When i did that, thanks to help I was given on here, I beat the boss first time, without taking a single hit. It was ridiculously easy. I then went back to breezing through the game.

Same goes for some of the other bosses. You either need to waste time using trial and error or you need to have external knowledge to that provided by the game itself, in order to beat them. Which is pretty ropey design.

People on here seem to have really struggled with 4-2. I found you can run/dodge past everything on the level with ease and be at the boss in about a minute. It’s almost impossible to get hit by the boss on that level. So didn’t find that level difficult. People also seem to have struggled with 5-2. Again, I don’t really get why. There aren’t that many enemies on the level and can kill almost all them before they ever get chance to attack you and they’re pretty weak anyway. The handful of bigger enemies can be avoided completely. For the boss.....I literally just stood right up against it and hammered the attack button! Which is basically how you can beat a few of the bosses in this.

5 hours ago, Calashnikov said:

There’s your problem. That’s pretty OP, but a valid tactic I suppose. Brute force will eventually work if you’ve got the stats for it. Try a SL1 run next! :hat: 

Just played the game as normal, upgraded whenever I had Souls, didn’t do much grinding apart from when I was upgrading my weapon. I’d assume most people would be around that level when finishing, unless they purposefully chose to not upgrade anything? I also didn’t touch Magic and Miracles and stuff and didn’t use any of the 100s of items I found. At the end of the day, I really don’t think it’s a difficult game. If you adapt to its rules, it’s pace and it’s mindset then it’s pretty straight forward outside of the few niggles I’ve mentioned. Again, it’s certainly nowhere near something like finishing a Trials Inferno/Ninja difficulty course or most old school games for that matter.

I’m sure an SL1 run would be challenging but then again trying to play Everybody’s Golf with the beginner clubs would be. Or trying to win the WRC on the hardest setting with the slowest car in WRC9 would be. It’s a moot point really.

5 hours ago, Majora said:

Agree about the runs to the bosses. Overcoming the frustration/irritation caused by them is probably the most difficult part of the game IMO. 

The 3-2 boss has a specific way to beat it that makes it really easy. Mentioned earlier in the thread if you want to take a look. Outside of that it’s a cheap as chips fight with them hitting you from off screen, killing you when you’re down and can’t do anything or just knocking you off the edge to your death. The run to it is by far the worst in the game due to its length and having an enemy that holds you up. I’d do that one if I was you, using the tips given on here. It’s the one I did before the others you’ve mentioned.

1-3 is one of the best “classic” boss battles in the game. It’s almost impossible to get hit by him though. 4-2 is even easier, and you’re even less likely to get hit. I did the level on Pure Black Tendency. You can just run and roll all the way to the boss only takes about 1min. Trickiest bit is the Reaper hiding at the end of the level that is off screen. 5-2 I just ran straight up to it and pummelled the fuck out of it. All it’s attacks missed me when I was stood up close and it went down in no time at all.

As for the run to the boss on 1-3.......only bother with it when you’re positive you’ll win the boss battle. Easiest and best way to get to the boss is to fight everything apart from the last archer before the Knights. When you approach him the Knights will come for you. Time your rolls past them and you shouldn’t have any problems getting to the boss. Or you can draw them out, and pick them off one by one whilst moving back towards the start of the level.

1 hour ago, Dr_Dave said:

Yep. Done it, as mentioned above. It's a very accessible SL1 run, for anyone looking to take it on.

I started it. Ive done 1-1, went to 4-1 to get the crescent falchion. Then did 1-2. Now trying to beat 4-1 using the shortcut. The Adjudicator is usually really easy, but he one shots me and I dont have enough endurance to do much damage. I dont know if I will bother with seeing it through to the end, but the remake for me is just fantastic. Ive completed it twice with two entirely different builds, so I have certainly got my moneys worth.

6 hours ago, Majora said:

:lol:

Fair play if you're finding it easy but I think deep down you know this isn't really an accurate summary of how things actually play out for most people.

Well that’s partly what I’m saying really. I don’t think it’s hard at all. I can list loads of reasons why i don’t think it’s a difficult game. Other people will have their own opinions. I’d be interested to hear why other people think the game is so difficult, what it actually is that they found so difficult about it. 

I think the difficulty of these games is overplayed, really. It’s all marketing. Each of the ones I’ve played eventually get to a stage where they’re legit relaxing to play. Zone out, roll around, stab shit while listening to podcasts stuff. When you get to that stage it’s actual bliss. 

@CrichStand you should play Bloodborne or Dark Souls 3 next, the standard grunts in those games all have different movesets so you can't just breeze through levels easily twatting drones like in Demons Souls, it's a fair criticism but try out the 2 best Soulsborne games if you think Demons is too easy.

Demon's is by far the most straightforward and cheesable, but the posturing tone is a little bit silly. I finished it on SL45 and took down almost every boss first go, including ME and OKA, but I wouldn't claim that it's without challenge. It requires much more patience and awareness than most games, and there are definitely some serious spikes. 

45 minutes ago, Minion said:

@CrichStand you should play Bloodborne or Dark Souls 3 next, the standard grunts in those games all have different movesets so you can't just breeze through levels easily twatting drones like in Demons Souls, it's a fair criticism but try out the 2 best Soulsborne games if you think Demons is too easy.

Yeah, I’ve played up to the boss fight in a chapel on Bloodborne and up to Undead Settlement on Dark Souls 3. Both seemed significantly harder than Demon’s Souls as did the first Dark Souls, which I played up to the Gargoyles boss fight. Might jump straight into either 3 or Bloodborne and see how I fair now, given the knowledge I’ve picked up playing this.

20 minutes ago, Marlew said:

Demon's is by far the most straightforward and cheesable, but the posturing tone is a little bit silly. I finished it on SL45 and took down almost every boss first go, including ME and OKA, but I wouldn't claim that it's without challenge. It requires much more patience and awareness than most games, and there are definitely some serious spikes. 

There’s no posturing tone! Just voicing my opinion. I haven’t said the game is without challenge! Just that I’ve found it to be a fairly easy game for the most part, especially when considering all the hype surrounding it’s supposed difficulty. I’ve also stated that the further you get into it, the easier it becomes, to the point where there’s been no challenge for me late game and so some of it has felt slightly underwhelming. I’ve also mentioned how I think some of its “difficulty” maybe comes from frustrating trial and error sections, irritating boss runs, it’s oppressive atmosphere, a need for knowledge that’s not contained within the game itself and at times how sadistic it can be.

Just interested to see what other people found so difficult in it. Maybe it could be how they approach and play it, more than the games actual difficulty level? Maybe it could be their character build? Maybe it’s the bosses? Maybe it’s having to start levels from the beginning each time you die?