Jump to content
IGNORED

Demon's Souls - remake's OUT - mindful of the spoilers, please!


robdood
 Share

Recommended Posts

12 hours in and I have completed 1-1, got to the bosses on 1-2 and 2-1 and be whooped, and the big fat dude in

the castle courtyard in 4-1

 

How long does "git gud" take in this game? after all this time, I am thinking that will never happen and I am best moving on.

 

I have enjoyed the game and want this see more, but progress is sooooo slow

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@tobert First time I played the game ten years ago, it took me twenty hours to get to the boss of 1-2 and I didn't have a fucking clue what I was doing. Now I've rinsed all the Souls games and printed out screenshots of all the Platinum trophies and framed them next to pictures on my family.

 

You got this, bud. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, tobert said:

12 hours in and I have completed 1-1, got to the bosses on 1-2 and 2-1 and be whooped, and the big fat dude in

the castle courtyard in 4-1

 

How long does "git gud" take in this game? after all this time, I am thinking that will never happen and I am best moving on.

 

I have enjoyed the game and want this see more, but progress is sooooo slow


I finished the game and found it to be, on the whole, pretty easy. The reason I found it to be pretty easy, is that the truth about this game is that, it’s not so much about “getting good”, or being a skilful player, but it’s more about increasing your knowledge of the game itself, learning, adapting and really understanding how things work. Add in patience and being intelligent with how you approach things and the game really is not that difficult at all. However, for some of that knowledge, you’ll more than likely need to look stuff up online or ask someone that’s played the game themselves about certain stuff, otherwise there’s a lot of trial and error and frustration.
 

Where you are now.......you’re probably hitting “the wall”. Get past it and the game becomes easier and easier. You could try a different level, such as 3-1. You could find some better gear. You could upgrade the gear you already have. You could level up your character. You can farm souls or items. All those things will help, even more so if combined together. Definitely the most important thing is though - learning and increasing your knowledge of the game and its mechanics.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Marlew said:

The fundamental takeaway, @tobert, is that while you find the game difficult, it is actually pretty easy. 


Really helpful and insightful post right there!

 

You’re having a dig because I found the game to be relatively easy and detailed exactly why and how all that can help other players when they tackle it.
 

Can you even read properly or what? Did you miss the bit where I said “you don’t have to get good” and “you don’t need to be a skilful player to beat the game”. In other words, I’m saying I didn’t beat the game because I’ve got “insane skillz” or “I’m really good at games”. I beat the game because I learnt how to play it properly. I learnt it’s systems and mechanics. I adapted to it. Anyone can do that. If they don’t then the game will be about 100x harder to complete, if they ever complete it at all, as it would require loads of trial and error and monumental levels of patience.

 

Have you ever considered that the game isn’t that hard and you’re just totally shit at it? Should I just keep posting about how shit you are at games? ‘Cause that’s what you’re doing with me. Having digs because my views and opinions are different to your own, no matter how sensible or valid they actually are. Well done, you’re coming across as being a total dick!
 

Maybe I should bang on about how hard this game really is? It is ya know! It’s fucking SOLID!!! It’s absolutely NAILS hard!!! Hardest game ever made. Almost unbeatable. But I did it! I beat it! I must be fucking amazing to beat such a solid, nails hard, unbeatable game. Pro gamer me! Fuck yeah!

 

Is that better than saying it’s not that difficult, anyone can get through it, if they learn the game’s mechanics, how to play it properly and adapt to what it asks of you?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Marlew said:

@tobert First time I played the game ten years ago, it took me twenty hours to get to the boss of 1-2 and I didn't have a fucking clue what I was doing. Now I've rinsed all the Souls games.


And there ya go! You didn’t have a fucking clue what you were doing! Thus, when you did have a fucking clue what you were doing, you went on to finish all the Souls games.........which is what I’m saying - knowledge, understanding how to approach these games, goes a long, long way! 
 

Maybe I’ve hit a nerve though, by claiming the game isn’t that hard, and that you don’t need to be that skilful of a player to beat this.......as it’s you mentioning how you’ve “rinsed all the Souls games” as if you’re the Bruce Lee of the Souls series!  Lol.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I finished it at SL45, a rather inconsequential achievement, but I don't feel the need to belittle anyone else's struggles by telling them that actually it's pretty easy.

 

I'm not sure why you keep doing that, to be honest! Otherwise, I think your advice is spot on. 

 

Just seen your follow up. I'll happily not engage in future. Cheers. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Fuck me.

 

This is so boring.

 

Its actually pretty easy if - you have played it before. And you can play it through with your eyes closed. You know whats coming. You know how souls games work. You have played through one or more of them. 
 

If you havent, then actually, its pretty fucking difficult. 
 

Its even more difficult, if, instead of helping you, you have people sneering down their nose telling you how easy it is.

 

These games are all about helping people. Whether its the fucking obscure systems, that you actually have no chance of decoding, unless someone explains it to you. Or, if you summon someone to help you kill a boss.

 

Lets all try and be helpful. The real helping souls starts here.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@tobert I hit a tough patch almost exactly where you are now and basically just died repeatedly to the mob at the end of 1-2 until I got frustrated with it.
 

I took a quick break on a puzzle game for a couple of days, got a pep talk from @jonamok who got my head back in the game and then I knuckled down to it. Once I was over that hump things clicked a lot more and the rest of the game kind of unfolded from there. 
 

Stick with it! If there is a specific bit you are struggling with post up for some advice, or if you need tips on build options loads of people here know plenty to help out. 
 

From what you have said I’d stick to 2-1, 3-1 or 4-1 and try and learn the levels and creatures, and more specifically the boss run so you can get there as fast as possible and bag one. It’s amazing how taking even one of the big boys down can give you a boost in confidence to help with the rest of it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, tobert said:

12 hours in and I have completed 1-1, got to the bosses on 1-2 and 2-1 and be whooped, and the big fat dude in

the castle courtyard in 4-1

 

How long does "git gud" take in this game? after all this time, I am thinking that will never happen and I am best moving on.

 

I have enjoyed the game and want this see more, but progress is sooooo slow


In 12 hours, thats actually really good going. Ignore the big fat dude in 4-1 for now.

 

The boss in 2-1 is actually very predictable. You just need to watch his moves. Keep your shield up. When he starts pouring oil everywhere, then run! wait for him to do his big slam move, then wail on him.

 

What weapon are you using? Where have you been allocating you souls? God I love this game.
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, FiveFootNinja said:

@tobert I hit a tough patch almost exactly where you are now and basically just died repeatedly to the mob at the end of 1-2 until I got frustrated with it.
 

I took a quick break on a puzzle game for a couple of days, got a pep talk from @jonamok who got my head back in the game and then I knuckled down to it. Once I was over that hump things clicked a lot more and the rest of the game kind of unfolded from there. 
 

Stick with it! If there is a specific bit you are struggling with post up for some advice, or if you need tips on build options loads of people here know plenty to help out. 
 

From what you have said I’d stick to 2-1, 3-1 or 4-1 and try and learn the levels and creatures, and more specifically the boss run so you can get there as fast as possible and bag one. It’s amazing how taking even one of the big boys down can give you a boost in confidence to help with the rest of it.


Yes this. The -1’s are, generally speaking, the best levels to tackle first. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, tobert said:

12 hours in and I have completed 1-1, got to the bosses on 1-2 and 2-1 and be whooped, and the big fat dude in

the castle courtyard in 4-1

 

How long does "git gud" take in this game? after all this time, I am thinking that will never happen and I am best moving on.

 

I have enjoyed the game and want this see more, but progress is sooooo slow

 

The early stages of the game were absolutely the most difficult for me. I didn't understand the various systems and didn't know I could level up my soul level before beating the Tower Knight so I it was a bit of a grind to get back and fail each time.

 

4-1 is decent for banking some souls to level up with once you can defeat a few skeletons and head back to the Nexus. That extra defense works wonders as you can get away with a couple of mistakes instead of none. Watch your stamina, it recharges faster when you're not holding your shield up. You're invulnerable to attack while you're rolling (but make sure you're not at 50+% on equipment load or rolls will be slow) so you can roll forward through arrows or attacks to gain ground on enemies.

 

Also if you see an item you want but it's guarded by a tough enemy, just dash past and grab it even if it means certain death. You keep the items even if you lose the souls.

 

I think those tips would have helped me most starting out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for the tips all. I will keep at it but will be interesting to see if I last the distance when I go back to work and am limited to an hour a night. I don't think I have ever played a game which requires this level of investment!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Marlew said:

I finished it at SL45, a rather inconsequential achievement, but I don't feel the need to belittle anyone else's struggles by telling them that actually it's pretty easy.

 

I'm not sure why you keep doing that, to be honest! Otherwise, I think your advice is spot on. 

 

Just seen your follow up. I'll happily not engage in future. Cheers. 


Seriously man, what part of someone having a personal viewpoint or opinion do you not understand?

 

My viewpoint and opinion of the game is that it’s not that difficult. That’s because, funnily enough, that’s my viewpoint and opinion of the game! I’m not going to say the game is an insurmountable challenge, if I don’t think it is! You’re simply having a go, because my opinion does not match your own opinion of the game. You’re also reading things into my posts that’s simply not there!
 

Bragging is saying “I’ve beaten this rock hard game and rinsed all the Souls games”

 

Bragging is not saying “I found the game to be fairly easy considering it’s reputation. Anyone can beat this game. It just takes a certain mindset, knowledge and understanding of the games mechanics and how the game plays”.

 

4 minutes ago, kempstar said:

Fuck me.

 

This is so boring.

 

Its actually pretty easy if - you have played it before. And you can play it through with your eyes closed. You know whats coming. You know how souls games work. You have played through one or more of them. 
 

If you havent, then actually, its pretty fucking difficult. 
 

Its even more difficult, if, instead of helping you, you have people sneering down their nose telling you how easy it is.

 

These games are all about helping people. Whether its the fucking obscure systems, that you actually have no chance of decoding, unless someone explains it to you. Or, if you summon someone to help you kill a boss.

 

Lets all try and be helpful. The real helping souls starts here.

 

Yep, i agree, it is boring! Not sure why people have to start having digs when it’s clear as day what I’m actually trying to say!

 

Just to be clear......I’d never played Demon’s Souls before. I’d barely played any of the Souls games. At the start, I had no real idea what I was doing. I figured some basic stuff out early doors which helped a lot.......however I then went on to REALLY learn how to play this, learnt its mechanics and its systems, learnt to be patient, adapted to the game etc. I believe that not doing those things, is probably why people find this game to be so hard and struggle with it.
 

It’s very easy to go into it and play it like other games. To use a similar mindset as you’d use while playing other games. I found that doesn’t work well at all. I realised I had to change the way I was playing it. I needed to understand it and it’s systems better. I didn’t have enough knowledge of how to really play it or even realise that it’s designed so that you have to look up stuff or seek help from other people. As soon as I adapted, learnt from my mistakes, increased my knowledge of the game and overcame “the wall” that hits you at the early to mid game point I flew through it. Got some great advice on here too, especially regarding attributes and weapons that made a huge difference.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, tobert said:

Thanks for the tips all. I will keep at it but will be interesting to see if I last the distance when I go back to work and am limited to an hour a night. I don't think I have ever played a game which requires this level of investment!


Yeah, that is one of the big issues with the game to be fair. If you only have limited time to pay it can be tricky because of its structure. 
 

Honestly though man, if you persevere you will crack it and it’s incredibly rewarding when you do!

 

Not sure how much you already know, but my advice would be.....

 

Read up on the stats and character bonuses (S, A, B, C etc) in regards to the weapons and how they work. Build your character around them. Start by putting souls into stamina as you need it for pretty much everything you do. Make sure you are quick rolling, under 50% burden or whatever. Get some decent rings to help you out. 
 

Each enemy is basically a case of, attack first, counter or avoid altogether. With most it’s best to be patient, draw out enemy attacks and counter, until you can walk through stuff. If you hit a wall, don’t be afraid to leave it and go somewhere else, or try a different approach such as running past everything instead of fighting. Explore thoroughly and don’t be bothered about losing Souls - the knowledge of the levels, enemy placement, new items, collectable souls etc is far more important to progression. When you do have Souls though, know when to quit! Go back to the Nexus and use them to level up.
 

Try to stay in human form as much as possible when you feel like you’ve got a grip on things, this helped me immensely. For most of the game I didn’t even realise I could use an item to return to human form! Doh! I was fighting stuff and getting killed in one hit due to the measly amount of health in Soul form! As you progress in the game, your knowledge of how to play it and tackle stuff will increase and no doubt the game will get easier. Knowledge goes along way in this, especially when it comes to levelling weapons, stats, level lay out, enemy placement and how to best tackle stuff. Don’t be bothered about looking stuff up, it’s part of the game’s design! Good luck!
 

28 minutes ago, Marlew said:

My opinion matches yours in almost every respect. We differ on the presentation is all. No hard feelings. 

 

No hard feelings here either mate. Let’s just call it a case of crossed wires and move on

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don’t agree on the human form bit.
 

I threw myself off the Nexus ledge all the time to stay in soul form and keep the tendency white. Cling ring plus a few pips in VIT more than make up the deficit in hit points and also made it less cagey when making exploratory runs.

 

Re: Time... I would strongly recommend applying the approach I had with both Bloodborne and this (my only From games) which was to set a target of one small thing each run and then try and achieve that. It could be a small thing like learn an enemy move set/counter, or placement, get enough souls for an upgrade, etc... Or equally something bigger like opening a shortcut or doing a boss run. Just set the the goal whatever it is and focus on that, and try and learn something each time even if you die trying. Anything else is then a bonus.
 

I find that it a) allows me to feel like progress is being made all the time in small increments, b) keeps you looking forward and not getting caught in the frustration cycle of feeling like you are constantly losing things rather than gaining things, and c) ultimately makes you better at the game.
 

It isn’t about doing big multi-hour single runs of levels all the time and also means you can switch on for 30-60 minutes and feel like it was a useful period of time. Also remember you can save and quit anytime mid-level to break things up into smaller sessions if you need to.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, petrolgirls said:

If you ever want to see white world tendency then staying in human form is bad advice. Unless you have a friend with the game who's prepared to invade your game and let you slaughter them repeatedly.  

 

Well I did say, once he'd got a grip on things to try and stay in human form!

 

Not sure why it's supposedly bad advice? From about 3 quarters in i pretty much stayed in human form and found the game to be a lot easier and there to be far less chance of ever dying, because of human form giving you double health. Plus Regen Shield and Regen Ring and being able to carry over 80 health items. Worked really well for me! Also went straight through World 4 and most of World 1 and 3 on New Game+ with ease doing that too.

 

Plus,  I thought you get White World Tendency by killing the bosses when in human form? That's what I've done on New Game+ and just got one world left to get to Pure White. Or have I got that wrong? I'm still not up on everything!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, CrichStand said:

 

Well I did say, once he'd got a grip on things to try and stay in human form!

 

Not sure why it's supposedly bad advice? From about 3 quarters in i pretty much stayed in human form and found the game to be a lot easier and there to be far less chance of ever dying, because of human form giving you double health. Plus Regen Shield and Regen Ring and being able to carry over 80 health items. Worked really well for me! Also went straight through World 4 and most of World 1 and 3 on New Game+ with ease doing that too.

 

Plus,  I thought you get White World Tendency by killing the bosses when in human form? That's what I've done on New Game+ and just got one world left to get to Pure White. Or have I got that wrong? I'm still not up on everything!

 

If you die in human form you can't get that level to pure white on that run without killing invaders. The Cling Ring, found early in 1-1, gives you 3/4's of your health in soul form which mostly negates the shortfall in health provided you're not stupidly low on VIT in the first place. You get white world tendency by killing bosses in any form so that's not relevant. If you're struggling with the game, staying in human form is bad advice as having a 1/4 more health is no guarantee of not dying and every death then makes your game harder. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, petrolgirls said:

 

If you die in human form you can't get that level to pure white on that run without killing invaders. The Cling Ring, found early in 1-1, gives you 3/4's of your health in soul form which mostly negates the shortfall in health provided you're not stupidly low on VIT in the first place. You get white world tendency by killing bosses in any form so that's not relevant. If you're struggling with the game, staying in human form is bad advice as having a 1/4 more health is no guarantee of not dying and every death then makes your game harder. 


Everything I’ve read says that you get more White Tendency by killing bosses in human form.  It also says that you get White Tendency by killing invaders, which you can only do in human form. So don’t get why you say that’s not relevant? 

 

Factor in, having more health is definitely a huge bonus. That extra quarter over the Cling Ring is the difference between being insta killed and victory. Take a big hit and you can survive heal up, rinse repeat. It means you can upgrade stats other than Vit too, and focus on your attack power, making it easier and quicker for you to take enemies down in the first place - less time in the fight, less chance of getting clipped. Using this tactic, with a decent weapon, I was walking through everything by the end of the game. There was hardly any chance of ever dying. Before that I’d stayed in Soul form and the game was a lot harder! 

 

So yeah, from my experience, it’s actually quicker and easier to get White Tendency by staying in human form, .but as I’ve said........do it when you’ve got a grip on the game and what you’re doing, not when you’re struggling! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.