IGNORED

Demon's Souls - remake's OUT - mindful of the spoilers, please!

robdood

And finished last night. Finally clicked with a Soulsborne game! I imported this back in the day on PS3 but never got on with it (I think I had approximately zero idea what the hell was going on not sure I even got past Phalanx. BB I bought, bounced off then picked back up some years later but got suck on a boss and never went back. This however just finally clicked for me. I'm now barreling through NG+ and think this may be up with Mario 64 and Halo as my favourite launch game ever. 

2 hours ago, Aphex Tim said:

And finished last night. Finally clicked with a Soulsborne game! I imported this back in the day on PS3 but never got on with it (I think I had approximately zero idea what the hell was going on not sure I even got past Phalanx. BB I bought, bounced off then picked back up some years later but got suck on a boss and never went back. This however just finally clicked for me. I'm now barreling through NG+ and think this may be up with Mario 64 and Halo as my favourite launch game ever. 

Yeah, pretty much the same. Strange how this one has clicked. I guess it being one of the few true next gen exclusives has pushed me to give it more of a chance than I did the first time around. The fact that it looks gorgeous and plays so smoothly helps too, but it really does come down to it playing so damn well!

Played a bit more tonight. Did the 

Spoiler

Dragon bridge, but wussed out when it came to picking up all the items in front of them.

Unlocked the second shortcut back to the big portcullis, which is now open and fog-doored, which I'm guessing means it's boss time.

I'm enjoying it a lot. It's just more Souls, really, innit, so that immediately makes it good. Certain parts of the gameplay and things like the arbitrary enemy placements seem a bit restrictive after something like Sekiro, but everything looks so damn nice that I'm not too bothered.

Couple of questions:

1. How do I level up? I've gone back to the Nexus and am sitting on a nice crop of souls, but I can't find the woman who I'm guessing is this game's firekeeper equivalent. I saw her in a cutscene, but she's not there now. Helpful Storeguy, Despondent Blue Bloke, Old Blacksmith Man and Umbasa Lady aren't much help.

2. I'm guessing this hole leads to the area with what looks like crystal lizards that's to the left of where you spawn at the Boletaria gates. Can I do this yet, or shall I just keep going?

18 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Played a bit more tonight. Did the 

Hide contents

Dragon bridge, but wussed out when it came to picking up all the items in front of them.

Unlocked the second shortcut back to the big portcullis, which is now open and fog-doored, which I'm guessing means it's boss time.

I'm enjoying it a lot. It's just more Souls, really, innit, so that immediately makes it good. Certain parts of the gameplay and things like the arbitrary enemy placements seem a bit restrictive after something like Sekiro, but everything looks so damn nice that I'm not too bothered.

Couple of questions:

1. How do I level up? I've gone back to the Nexus and am sitting on a nice crop of souls, but I can't find the woman who I'm guessing is this game's firekeeper equivalent. I saw her in a cutscene, but she's not there now. Helpful Storeguy, Despondent Blue Bloke, Old Blacksmith Man and Umbasa Lady aren't much help.

2. I'm guessing this hole leads to the area with what looks like crystal lizards that's to the left of where you spawn at the Boletaria gates. Can I do this yet, or shall I just keep going?

1. Did you speak to the Monumental in the Nexus? 

Spoiler

Wee guy, almost at the top of the Nexus. The only one still alive. 

2. You need pure white world tendency to get there. Forget it for now. 

There is so much hidden stuff in the first level alone before the 1st boss, and I'll probably never get it done, some of it (shock) is pretty oblique stuff to reach. 

I've abandoned my NG+ as its was too punishing, and started a new game with a Royalty class selected, gives you magic straight away for the Soul Arrow and its great.

Until today I have no idea hidden walls are a thing in this game, until I found one! :blush:

I also thought I'd gone a little bit mad in my previous playthrough by constantly returning to the Nexus to get to another stone's level. Late on in the game I realised that I could just hop there by scrolling though the choices with L1 / R1 and going direct. Felt embarrassed by this, but then I noted that its not an option on my new game, so it must unlock somehow - any ideas what triggers this feature?

13 hours ago, Jamie John said:

1 minute ago, petrolgirls said:

Sure but he mentioned he'd done the dragon bridge and that's after the 1-1 boss.

I think he meant the one in 1-1. Not the start of 1-2. My reading was he hadn't ventured into the 1-1 Boos fight yet.

On 06/02/2021 at 12:21, Uxorious said:

If you die in human form outside the nexus you move that world tendency towards black, making it more difficult. (there are positives too though) Killing a boss moves that world tendency towards white, making that world easier. At pure white and pure black new things happen. So after regaining human form, after defeating a boss, you might want to return to the nexus and commit suicide. 

What an amazing non sequitur. 

8 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

I think he meant the one in 1-1. Not the start of 1-2. My reading was he hadn't ventured into the 1-1 Boos fight yet.

Yes, that's what I meant - the first one (although now I know there's a second at some point :ph34r:).

Anyway, I beat the Phalanx first time (-_-) and have unlocked leveling now.

Hmm. The TK's a bit of a wanker then, huh? Not so much the boss himself, but the fact that there's no shortcut to him. It's pretty telling that later From games massively reduced the average bonfire to boss time.

Ah well. Back I go.

Gotta say, I love how when you land the killing blow on enemies in this you can send their weapons flying.

Spoiler

image.png.92ff3742832fe869fbeab9ccb2ebcd7a.png

2 minutes ago, Popo said:

@Jamie John your one-fingered salute is me after every boss in any From game. :lol:

Me too! Sometimes I go with the double if they're especially troublesome.

Anyway, turns out that the TK wasn't such a wanker after all as I got him on my second go!

image.png.f3eb271156bd1ea2dff9bc71b33e2230.png

I can't go on from there, though, apparently. I reckon I'll leave it there until tomorrow as it is. That's enough excitement for a Wednesday night.

20 hours ago, Jamie John said:

Hmm. The TK's a bit of a wanker then, huh? Not so much the boss himself, but the fact that there's no shortcut to him. It's pretty telling that later From games massively reduced the average bonfire to boss time.

This is my biggest gripe so far with this game. I've been a bit stuck on 4-1 last few nights. Got to the boss once and there's no (legit) shortcut. 

Spoiler

Yeah I know there's some glitch roll over the wall shortcut but I ain't into that bullshit

39 minutes ago, Uxorious said:

I did say, “might”. Also, I did this after giving some pros and cons. 

You didn't explain at all why you might want to commit suicide in the nexus, or what the effects might be. You just said you might want to do it.

31 minutes ago, Lovelyman said:

You didn't explain at all why you might want to commit suicide in the nexus, or what the effects might be. You just said you might want to do it.

After saying how dying in a world will affect its tendency. So it is strongly implied. This was all in response to why the message telling you to roll at the top of the nexus could be seen as helpful. 

I've had two goes at the first boss in the mines (AS) but just get dicked immediately. I'm rolling a strength/faith build as I typically end up going for dex when I play these games, so I've gone for something different this time - is ranged the only real option to take her down, because my ranged options are pretty bloody limited at the moment?

Also, I came across my first black phantom enemy earlier, one of the miners. That was a shock! You certainly don't see that in Dark Souls.

The structure of this is interesting. Is the idea to just play each of the levels until you hit a wall, then go and have a go at another one? Are all the enemies in the first stage of each area generally weak, then they get harder the further you go into the level?

12 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

You definitely don't need to do ranged for 2-1.

@Jamie John yes you need to learn how to get in close. It's not as hard as it seems.

Finally done 4-1. Quite glad to see the back of that but it was a decent challenge. Like all tough souls bits, it feels like it will be forever imprinted in my brain. 

3 hours ago, Lovelyman said:

He did, but maybe you didn’t realise you get your body back after beating a boss?

8 hours ago, Jamie John said:

I've had two goes at the first boss in the mines (AS) but just get dicked immediately. I'm rolling a strength/faith build as I typically end up going for dex when I play these games, so I've gone for something different this time - is ranged the only real option to take her down, because my ranged options are pretty bloody limited at the moment?

Also, I came across my first black phantom enemy earlier, one of the miners. That was a shock! You certainly don't see that in Dark Souls.

The structure of this is interesting. Is the idea to just play each of the levels until you hit a wall, then go and have a go at another one? Are all the enemies in the first stage of each area generally weak, then they get harder the further you go into the level?

You can get up in her grill but you need some good stamina to block the attack she does with her legs and also beware of the jump attack when she slams down, she purposely doesn't like you in her face hence a lot of her attacks are actively trying to push you back such as the oil/flame spray, I take it you have a decent shield if you're going strength? You really need one for her, sure you can dodge the attacks but they come out very fast so it's safer to block until you learn the tells and timings, she's really weak to magic if that helps so if you have any magic buffs use them on your weapon.

Hmm, getting a bit fed up with spidey twat and her one shot kills. Again, I wouldn't mind so much if I didn't have to run the gauntlet each time of red phantom demons and that fat knob head with the whip who poises through all my attacks. I think I'm going to leave it and try another area for a while. I feel like I haven't had enough souls to level up for ages.

22 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Hmm, getting a bit fed up with spidey twat and her one shot kills. Again, I wouldn't mind so much if I didn't have to run the gauntlet each time of red phantom demons and that fat knob head with the whip who poises through all my attacks. I think I'm going to leave it and try another area for a while. I feel like I haven't had enough souls to level up for ages.

What weapon are you using? I had a great deal of joy with the winged spear in that area. You can basically do a jump+stab attack and they never get anywhere near you. 

Just now, Hylian said:

What weapon are you using? I had a great deal of joy with the winged spear in that area. You can basically do a jump+stab attack and they never get anywhere near you. 

I'm using a pickaxe +3 for the miners because it has piercing and a halberd +4 for everything else. I've thought that a spear would be useful for the tight corridors, though. Where did you get the winged one from?

Anyway, I had a go at the island/flying manta ray area and was doing fairly well until I got to a bit where you have to shimmy along a ledge fighting skeletons with said manta rays shooting you from out of nowhere. I got as far as the fog door at the end then just got silently shot in the back and killed, so now I've decided to play Mario for a bit instead.

It might just be the saltiness talking, but this game seems to punish you for not having a ranged option in a way that DaS and BB never did.