Demon's Souls - remake's OUT - mindful of the spoilers, please!

On 19/02/2021 at 13:23, Jamie John said:

Took out the big P in 2-3 on my third go! That was a great duel. Ended up two-handing him with the meat cleaver.

Managed to get myself this brute too, but don't have the "faith" (I think) yet. Am I right in thinking you can two hand it without the required stats? I can't quite remember how that works in souls. 

9 minutes ago, Hylian said:

Managed to get myself this brute too, but don't have the "faith" (I think) yet. Am I right in thinking you can two hand it without the required stats? I can't quite remember how that works in souls. 

Yes - IIRC, you can two-hand it with half the stats. It's pretty great! S scaling for strength, dexterity and faith, although I'm not sure if you can upgrade it.

I've just got to the blue drake in 1-4. Am I right in thinking this is a late game area that I shouldn't attempt yet? All of the enemies are very though and soak up lots of damage, even the basic soldier types. I haven't even gone to world 3 or 5 yet, so I might try those out first.

8 minutes ago, StephenM said:

more like dead idol.

That lovely grass farming route was a game changer. Wondering whether to tackle Adjudicator or the 2-2 boss next. 

Adjudicator is very easy and unlocks a pretty good magic shard farming route that's useful for 2-2.

2 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Adjudicator is very easy and unlocks a pretty good magic shard farming route that's useful for 2-2.

Perfect. At least that helps me commit — I think one of the reasons I’ve taken so long to get back to this is that I’d hit a wall and bugger off to try something else. Rather than throwing myself at one wall more than a handful of times. 

So I gave this up, when lockdown was on the horizon, and work was getting too stressful. I have to be in the right frame of mind for Souls games. I had a week off, and by the end of it I was back in the right headspace. And god, it's just so, so, so good. 

Just gone and:

Spoiler

Taken down the blind hero boss, and the storm king without dying. Two 'gimmicks' in a row, and bloody brilliant for it. Still can't touch man-eater, and now my  world is black from all the deaths I had once I resorted to summoning....

11 hours ago, Jamie John said:

Those

Reveal hidden contents

Maneaters

sure are a pair of cunts then, huh?

Nevermind, got 'em. I had a hard crash almost immediately after the trophy popped and I was spitting blood thinking it hadn't saved, especially when I reloaded 30 seconds later I was back outside the boss door, but thankfully it had unfogged and they didn't suddenly come back to life. Phew!

I then went on and diddled the The OM almost immediately after this fight, too :coffee: My first attempt I was up against a human invader and they killed me pretty quickly, mostly because it was so unbelievably laggy that they were able to slice me from across the room. I've no idea how anyone plays Souls PvP properly. Second time I'm pretty sure it was the AI as I didn't get an invader message, and they were pretty easy, so it was back stab time a-go-go. I had more trouble with the octotwats on the stairs leading to the boss room.

Anyway, that's the mines and tower both done as far as I can tell. Boletaria post-big P feels like a late-game area, so now I need to finish off manta ray island. I've also yet to start the Valley of Defilement, mostly because the area description and its mention of a Souls-patented poison swap is putting me off somewhat. Plus, the thought of a defiled valley makes me feel a bit funny :unsure:

10 hours ago, Jamie John said:

Took down leechyboi at the end of 5-1 first time. Just as well, really, as having to go all that way again would have been a massive fucking ball ache.

I made my way to him last night too! Sadly got dead, though — my fire magic just wasn’t making a big enough dent with all his healing. 

16 minutes ago, StephenM said:

I made my way to him last night too! Sadly got dead, though — my fire magic just wasn’t making a big enough dent with all his healing. 

I'm not sure how you do that fight as a ranged attacker. I started off pelting him with arrows, thinking it would be dead easy, but he just starts healing, so I had to get up close and personal. He might not do the regen thing if you're closer to the bottom of the pit.

I'm finding the environments a lot tougher than the bosses so far. A lot of it is the lack of shortcuts, but there's been quite a few tricky platforming sections and narrow walkways, which are always a pain.

I spent some time last night farming the crystal lizard nest in 2-2, so now I'm nicely weighed down with various stones and shards. The upgrade system in this has to be the most convoluted of any of the Souls games.

13 minutes ago, Calashnikov said:

Pap the upgrade materials to Stockpile Thomas. You also don’t need them on your person / inventory when you actually go to upgrade at a blacksmith. If Stockpile Thomas has them they can still be used.

Yeah - when I say 'weighed down' I meant it figuratively. Am I right in thinking that these were two QoL improvements added for the remake? So, originally, if you didn't have enough item space then you simply couldn't pick stuff up, and you couldn't magically warp stuff to Thomas from wherever? That must have been painful.

So I've bested world 4 first, then world 2 last night. Still got Man-Eater and 5-3 to do next.

It does seem smaller than Dark Souls and the like, but I actually like that. I'm clearly replaying this a bunch down the line. First time doing a magic-build too, so looking forward to going back to a big, slow, melee build. Talking of magic, only just realised when I saved Freke, that he was now hidden away at the nexus. Bought a load of new spells - which should help.

2 hours ago, Calashnikov said:

Pap the upgrade materials to Stockpile Thomas. You also don’t need them on your person / inventory when you actually go to upgrade at a blacksmith. If Stockpile Thomas has them they can still be used.

Jesus, really? Fuck me I've been doing some ridiculous inventory shuffling when upgrading weapons. 

The one with the pvp , headwrap, and chairs etc boss is a pita. Even offline. Just getting to him up the stairs is a fucking slog.

Does my nut in.

About 10-12 bosses in and loving everything else but this is kicking my arse.

Right I should get at least an hour on this tonight. It is time to kick them man-eaters in the god damn sea. 

Plan 1) fire spray to the face whilst I duck and weave. 
Plan 2) big fire ball spell in between back and forth runs. 
Plan 3) go melee. 
Plan 4) weep and cry. 

I’ll let you know how it goes. 

2 hours ago, sid said:

The one with the pvp , headwrap, and chairs etc boss is a pita. Even offline. Just getting to him up the stairs is a fucking slog.

Does my nut in.

About 10-12 bosses in and loving everything else but this is kicking my arse.

If you roll towards the octodudes then you'll go underneath their attacks, then you can stun-lock them, or knock them over fairly easily if you've got a big bastard sword you can two-hand. Or a Bastard Sword, for that matter.

As for OM, if you stick to him like glue and constantly circle around then you can get backstabs pretty easily. I got at least two in my fight with him.

43 minutes ago, LaveDisco said:

Right I should get at least an hour on this tonight. It is time to kick them man-eaters in the god damn sea. 

Plan 1) fire spray to the face whilst I duck and weave. 
Plan 2) big fire ball spell in between back and forth runs. 
Plan 3) go melee. 
Plan 4) weep and cry. 

I’ll let you know how it goes. 

If you can deal with the first one fairly quickly, I found that drawing the second one to the central brazier and playing peek-a-boo around it worked pretty well.

Are you cutting off their snake tails? It stops them from doing that powering up move. You can target the tail separately, I believe.

Thanks @Jamie John, great advice,  but I return to the thread victorious. Plan 2 did it. But plan 4 helped. 

Knew about the tail, but only managed to destroy one. Hard to target with spells. 

edit: god, I’m buzzin’, buzzin’ - what a feeling, what a fucking game!

I've been bouncing off the Maneater tonight, I've had some joy when I've two-handed the Meat Cleaver and managed to get one dead once, but I keep getting cornered or knocked off the bridge. I'll get them eventually, but given what a ball bag that whole level was, I've gone into 5 for the first time - and barring a fall down the pit almost immediately, I waltzed straight through and killed the leech boss. Feeling pretty good about myself again now.

I posted upthread about how I've always bounced off Souls games before, but I'm loving this one. 25 hours in, and I'd guess I'm about halfway done now.

And now OH in 4-3. Also first time. Equipped the Thief Ring then just pelted him with arrows :coffee:

Without wanting to sound like I'm humble bragging, I get the feeling that I'm a bit OP after getting so far in Boletaria and now going back to these other areas. I'm sure I'll hit a wall at some point, but the bosses in this haven't caused me much trouble at all so far. The routes to them, and the lack of shortcuts, on the other hand are what present the real challenge.