Jump to content

Demon's Souls - remake's OUT - mindful of the spoilers, please!


Recommended Posts

I'd been bouncing off 4-2 and 5-2 pretty hard last week, so I gave it a rest for a few days, but I came back to it yesterday, beat Old Hero and Storm King, and got as far as the shortcut on 5-2. The design of those 2 bosses was really cool, but actually fighting them wasn't much fun - I think overall, the bosses are my least favourite part of the game.

 

Nearly done now though, and I'll get to the other games in the series soon enough. I'm disappointed that I'd written these off every time I've tried to play them before, because now I've finally managed to click with one, I've really enjoyed it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Keiths_Dad said:

I'd been bouncing off 4-2 and 5-2 pretty hard last week, so I gave it a rest for a few days, but I came back to it yesterday, beat Old Hero and Storm King, and got as far as the shortcut on 5-2. The design of those 2 bosses was really cool, but actually fighting them wasn't much fun - I think overall, the bosses are my least favourite part of the game.

 

Nearly done now though, and I'll get to the other games in the series soon enough. I'm disappointed that I'd written these off every time I've tried to play them before, because now I've finally managed to click with one, I've really enjoyed it. 

 

Well the good news is that you have four other amazing games to play now!

Link to post
Share on other sites

5, I'm counting Sekiro as well.

 

Dirty Colossus (cheesed with fire) and the posh lady murdered now. I'll admit to not having picked up on much of the lore, am I supposed to feel bad about Astraea? Because it didn't feel great. 

 

Now on to the Pentrator!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Maneater down. What an absolute cunt of a boss that was. There aren't too many From bosses I've struggled with as much. I absolutely refuse to cheese bosses in these games but all the advice online I could find was about how to cheese them: "don't attempt to dodge and slash against them". So like a massive twat I totally decided I was going to dodge and slash against them. 

 

Well 50 attempts later it's done. Brutally hard because the timing of the second appearing is very tight, and even two-handing the meat clever with pine resin, I could only just get the first done as the other was spawning. But the real ball ache was the god awful AI. If he flew off at any point for any lengthy period, the attempt was basically fucked. Sometimes he seems to get trapped under the bridge! FFS... 

 

I like the idea of the fight: beat one as quickly as possible otherwise you're fighting two of them. That made it really tense immediately and you couldn't pussy about too much waiting for openings (like most From bosses), and also tense for the second one, knowing how hard it was getting to that stage. But the tight environment (I fell off dozens of times) and the god awful AI just made this a pain in the arse. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m playing this amongst about a hundred other games, so progress is slow, but in the underground digging world (world 2?) I’ve reached a point on which I believe to be the critical path where enemies suddenly don’t take damage from my sword or spear, and a note has been left advising that you need a hammer to deal with them. 
 

Being as I don’t have a hammer, nor access to one, I’ve bugged out and moved on to the prison world, with the intention of going back later. Am I doing it wrong?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve been playing this for the best part of a week and it’s by far and away the most graphically impressive next gen game I’ve played on PS5 or Series X. It looks absolutely astonishing on an OLED. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hylian said:

Maneater down. What an absolute cunt of a boss that was. There aren't too many From bosses I've struggled with as much. I absolutely refuse to cheese bosses in these games but all the advice online I could find was about how to cheese them: "don't attempt to dodge and slash against them". So like a massive twat I totally decided I was going to dodge and slash against them. 

 

Well 50 attempts later it's done. Brutally hard because the timing of the second appearing is very tight, and even two-handing the meat clever with pine resin, I could only just get the first done as the other was spawning. But the real ball ache was the god awful AI. If he flew off at any point for any lengthy period, the attempt was basically fucked. Sometimes he seems to get trapped under the bridge! FFS... 

 

I like the idea of the fight: beat one as quickly as possible otherwise you're fighting two of them. That made it really tense immediately and you couldn't pussy about too much waiting for openings (like most From bosses), and also tense for the second one, knowing how hard it was getting to that stage. But the tight environment (I fell off dozens of times) and the god awful AI just made this a pain in the arse. 

Definitely agree with you on the Maneater hate. It wasn't too bad on New Game but on New Game+ I really struggled. My build just wasn't up to dealing enough damage to get the first one down before the second one showed up. That coupled with the guy flapping about all over the place I was having a bad time of it. It caused me to drop the game completely. Yesterday after a couple of weeks break I finally mustered up the will to have another crack at him. I got close a couple of times only to be knocked off the arena which added to my rage. With my Grass supplies slowly depleting I decided to have a last ditch attempt at him. I figured I was done with my New Game+ character and I wasn't going to progress him into another New Game. I used all of my soul items which included every boss soul from New Game and New Game+. This got me about 1 million souls. I sunk most of it into Strength and re-attempted the boss. Success! He went down on the first attempt after levelling up. Then all I had to do was final section of that Archstone and the final bits.

 

What did I do after the credits rolled...that's right I started a New Game! I've never done a Mage build before in any of the Souls games as I stick to pure Melee builds so I thought I'd give it a try. I wish I tried it sooner. It seems much easier than Melee. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah I've spent A LOT of time grinding in this compared to other games. I might have done it for 10 or so minutes in DS and BB, but here I've spent what seems like hours in 4-1, 4-2, and 1-2 (backwards) grinding souls, mainly for grass but lots of pine resin too for Maneater. I don't mind it too much tbh (it's a welcome break at times), but the move from health being a consumable to being a refill was a good one I think.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hylian said:

Yeah I've spent A LOT of time grinding in this compared to other games. I might have done it for 10 or so minutes in DS and BB, but here I've spent what seems like hours in 4-1, 4-2, and 1-2 (backwards) grinding souls, mainly for grass but lots of pine resin too for Maneater. I don't mind it too much tbh (it's a welcome break at times), but the move from health being a consumable to being a refill was a good one I think.

Ah, the good old 1-2 (backwards) grass grind, it will be forever burnt into my memory. Thank goodness for the PS5 load times. :P

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hylian said:

Yeah I've spent A LOT of time grinding in this compared to other games. I might have done it for 10 or so minutes in DS and BB, but here I've spent what seems like hours in 4-1, 4-2, and 1-2 (backwards) grinding souls, mainly for grass but lots of pine resin too for Maneater. I don't mind it too much tbh (it's a welcome break at times), but the move from health being a consumable to being a refill was a good one I think.


Im finding grass hella hard to come by in this. It wasn’t a problem with Bloodborne in the most part, but it’s quite restrictive in Demon’s Souls. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Popo said:


Im finding grass hella hard to come by in this. It wasn’t a problem with Bloodborne in the most part, but it’s quite restrictive in Demon’s Souls. 

Yeah it's pretty badly designed to be honest. Level 1 gives out grass quite a bit, but others not so much. It seems like the intention is to buy it. Early game you want to use the bonfire after the boss in 1-2 to go back and face the two blue eyed knights. They each give good grass (mmmm) consistently. Once you've opened up 4-2, that area can be farmed for souls and it makes more sense to buy it from the merchant. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Hylian said:

They each give good grass (mmmm)


Some blazin’ advice Hylian, otherwise I’ll just have to buy some, I hope 420 souls is enough? I’ll be blunt, the difficulty in this game is chronic. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Early on the regenerator ring will help a lot with health concerns. Go into 4-1 and pick it up from the end of the level - sprint past all the enemies if you have to. There's also an adjudicator's shield with regen properties  about halfway through guarded by a black skeleton - you'll die if you take him on, but if you roll past and collect it you'll keep it even if he then one shots you.

 

Assuming you're early game but you've done 1-1 and can access all stones now.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I kinda love that 1-2 backwards grind and the consumable grinds in Dark Souls (and Bloodborne)!

 

1-2 is fun because it’s easy to backstab the two blue eyes for instant death. 
 

I haven’t put any points into Vit, so Half Moon grass are good for me!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, posted a few fun moments on Twitter. Executioner Miralda is still best Souls character.

 

 

 

 

As you might be able to tell, I started a mage build after getting the platinum and the Firestorm is busted as hell.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Hylian said:

Yeah it's pretty badly designed to be honest. Level 1 gives out grass quite a bit, but others not so much. It seems like the intention is to buy it. Early game you want to use the bonfire after the boss in 1-2 to go back and face the two blue eyed knights. They each give good grass (mmmm) consistently. Once you've opened up 4-2, that area can be farmed for souls and it makes more sense to buy it from the merchant. 

 

You definitely get lots of grass in some areas beyond the opening ones, especially from human enemies. Have you got the Providential Ring equipped? The one that ups your item discovery? That will help you get some.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jamie John said:

 

You definitely get lots of grass in some areas beyond the opening ones, especially from human enemies. Have you got the Providential Ring equipped? The one that ups your item discovery? That will help you get some.

No. Not even sure I have that. But some areas have none, particularly some runs back to bosses. So inevitably you're going to have to grind (if you're a bit shit). 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 08/03/2021 at 08:22, Popo said:

I’m playing this amongst about a hundred other games, so progress is slow, but in the underground digging world (world 2?) I’ve reached a point on which I believe to be the critical path where enemies suddenly don’t take damage from my sword or spear, and a note has been left advising that you need a hammer to deal with them. 
 

Being as I don’t have a hammer, nor access to one, I’ve bugged out and moved on to the prison world, with the intention of going back later. Am I doing it wrong?


Pierce/thrust style attacks rather than horizontal slashing attacks should still fuck them up if you’re rocking swords and spears.

 

Otherwise clubs or hammers are good for pulverising them. I found I had to switch up my weapons depending on enemy types more in this than I ever had to do in a Dark Souls game. Kinda reminded me of IGA-vanias where swords do fuck all against skeletons, but hammer type weapons wreck them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Calashnikov said:


Pierce/thrust style attacks rather than horizontal slashing attacks should still fuck them up if you’re rocking swords and spears.

 

Otherwise clubs or hammers are good for pulverising them. I found I had to switch up my weapons depending on enemy types more in this than I ever had to do in a Dark Souls game. Kinda reminded me of IGA-vanias where swords do fuck all against skeletons, but hammer type weapons wreck them.

 

You're talking about the troll people, no?  I'm talking about the flaming rock hedgehogs that appear after you've beat the spider boss, past the exploding mine carts and gone down the big lift.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Popo said:

 

You're talking about the troll people, no?  I'm talking about the flaming rock hedgehogs that appear after you've beat the spider boss, past the exploding mine carts and gone down the big lift.

 

Go the other way, to the right as you first enter the level (ie - not the minecart route). You'll bypass those things completely.

 

Or use magic. I'm assuming you're not a magic user, or you'd probably have shot off a soul ray or two.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Popo said:

 

You're talking about the troll people, no?  I'm talking about the flaming rock hedgehogs that appear after you've beat the spider boss, past the exploding mine carts and gone down the big lift.

You mean you're not up for 10 minutes of repetitive hacking? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, petrolgirls said:

Magic or arrows for those guys. 

 

5 minutes ago, Kayin Amoh said:

 

Go the other way, to the right as you first enter the level (ie - not the minecart route). You'll bypass those things completely.

 

Or use magic. I'm assuming you're not a magic user, or you'd probably have shot off a soul ray or two.

 

I'm sure I went that way first - running the gauntlet of trolls, found the way to fall down the mineshaft at the end and... it was a dead end?  There was a note that said something like, if you've got 100% white world tendency, a path will open up. Have I completely mis-remembered that?

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Popo said:

 

 

I'm sure I went that way first - running the gauntlet of trolls, found the way to fall down the mineshaft at the end and... it was a dead end?  There was a note that said something like, if you've got 100% white world tendency, a path will open up. Have I completely mis-remembered that?

 

If you've 100% white tendency an NPC will appear in one of the caves halfway down. You can get to the bottom no matter which tendency state your world is in though, just keep carefully scoping out your drops and you'll appear near the boss room when you get to the bottom.

 

Take a few healing items, or put on a regen ring / adjudicator's shield /blessed weapon for passive regen if you can.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.