Demon's Souls - remake's OUT - mindful of the spoilers, please!

robdood

Took me a good half an hour to get to Leechmonger yesterday, then did him on the first go.  Just like Blighttown, rushing through that level just doesn't pay off. At least the boss is easy enough that you're not doing it a million times. The shortcuts are crap, too.

I don't seem to be able to use Pine Resin on my Crescent Falchion, either. :huh:

1 hour ago, HarryBizzle said:

Took me a good half an hour to get to Leechmonger yesterday, then did him on the first go.  Just like Blighttown, rushing through that level just doesn't pay off. At least the boss is easy enough that you're not doing it a million times. The shortcuts are crap, too.

I don't seem to be able to use Pine Resin on my Crescent Falchion, either. :huh:

You can't enchant an already infused weapon (infused with magic damage in this case) . You should have access to some good fire spells though regardless. 

Crikey. Missed that completely. I think most of the elemental infusions scale with INT or magic, and my characters have always been strength/quality, so didn't make sense to ever touch them.

I think I'm about Magic 25 now, but still on my base 12 INT, so I need to start pouring some souls into that so I can learn more spells.

I’m looking around for my next PS5 game and thinking I might go for this, but how does this game compare to Dark Souls?

I loved the interconnected world of Dark Souls, along with the hidden story elements littered throughout. But from what little I played of this back on the PS3, it was like loading into separate levels, so does it lose that connected level design feeling or is it still on par with Dark Souls in both world design and story?

10 hours ago, Malc said:

I’m looking around for my next PS5 game and thinking I might go for this, but how does this game compare to Dark Souls?

I loved the interconnected world of Dark Souls, along with the hidden story elements littered throughout. But from what little I played of this back on the PS3, it was like loading into separate levels, so does it lose that connected level design feeling or is it still on par with Dark Souls in both world design and story?

It loses that specific aspect, though there is some inter connectivity between worlds - things you unlock or have to do in order to progress. It's like they're distinct areas of the world tied together by a central hub. Elements of each stage don't really seep into other stages, but characters and events can bleed over into the hub area as NPCs you rescue set up shop and the like. 

The world design itself is fantastic.  I actually prefer Boletaria's artistic direction to Lorderan on the whole - that's probably partially because I played Dark Souls to death, but Demon's has a little more of a spark to its visuals and world - Dark's in a more advanced stage of decay, so to speak.

Honestly, it's unlikely you'd feel short changed by this - though you should do the smart thing and get it on disc for a much more reasonable price than the £70 Sony are charging for it. If you somehow don't like it you can sell it on, and if you do like it (which you almost certainly will) there's always the option of buying digital in a sale if you prefer the convenience of it always being on your HD.

Thanks for the explanation. Sounds like this is near enough on par with Dark Souls, but different enough to be its own thing.

It’s been years since I completed Dark Souls 1 and Bloodborne, so I think I’m mentally prepared to get my arse handed to me in another souls game, especially as Demon’s Souls looks graphically amazing from the trailers I’ve seen online.

Though it looks like Amazon have sold out of this atm. <_<

From what little I've played, I get the sense that Latria, Boletaria and possibly Valley of Defilement are basically different countries. The Queen of Latria appears to be a distinct monarchy to King Allant of Boletaria, and different people went off together (Allant, Astraea and someone from Latria) and came back as/with Demon's.

So the fact that the worlds don't join up seems to make sense from that perspective.

And I think it's worth nothing that while DS3 technically has a set of contiguous areas, they're nowhere near as well designed/interconnected as Lordran is in DS1. The placement of bonfires and early fast travel in DS3 also makes any of that largely pointless.

I'm sprinting through this too fast and not appreciating the graphical upgrade (until i chill in the Nexus). Its me running on autopilot.

I do love the enhanced sound effects. :wub:

No deaths yet, aside from that ill-advised 4-1 suicide run that i attempted without a shield. :lol: Dancing through 6 Skellies was a bad idea. 

World 2 down. I enjoyed both Flamelurker and the arch demon. Both felt distinct in comparison to a lot of Souls bosses. I'm not sure why, but I had assumed each world had 4 or 5 levels.

And the beginning of 4-2 is doing my head in.

Those bloody mantaray things hurling shit at me while I'm trying to deal with the skeletons. So basically the same thing that bugged me about 4-1.

My Soul Ray or whatever it's called struggles to hit them as they keep moving. At least in 4-1, I could kill them.

I thought that might be it. There's an easy way (that someone pointed out in the thread only after I'd completed it) to make that section less frustrating.

Spoiler

Perhaps you have something that would make you less likely to be noticed?

Thanks. I feel like using that plus magic is just cheating, but I may well give it a go.

I do sort of wish I’d just got a whopping great sword, but am keen to see what endgame magic looks like. Frying three guys at the same time in 1-3 is pretty great. 

There's no such thing as cheating. I went Royal because that was my first build back in 2009. And i love the new Magic sounds! If something as weak as Soul Arrow can be so satisfying, i cannot wait for Firestorm!!  The melee combat in this remake is still as rudimentary as ever, so casting is a good call for someone like me who has played this game to death.

Failure update: i am/was very drunk and even though i stopped to read the warnings, i still fell off an edge in 3-1. The bad part is; i'd already cleared that area and couldn't remember which gate was which and  got turned around.

While we're on the subject: 3-1 can't hold a candle to the original. Its not scary anymore! 

4 minutes ago, Curtis said:

While we're on the subject: 3-1 can't hold a candle to the original. Its not scary anymore! 

I'm going to suggest that's down to familiarity, this was my first proper go at a Souls game, and that level was incredibly tense. Until I died a bunch of times, anyway, then it became pretty pedestrian.

I managed to finish it at the weekend, and whilst it was frustrating at times, I absolutely loved it. Some - possibly most? - of the bosses let it down a bit, but all in all this is up there with the best games I've played over the last few years.

And even though I've finished it, I still feel like I've barely scratched the surface - I didn't realise 

Spoiler

the knight I saved in 3-2 was killing people in the Nexus until I read about it in here after I had already seen the credits.

I’ve certainly played a lot of Dark Souls, Dark Souls 3 and most of all, Bloodborne. I do have to say though I’ve certainly found Demons Souls has noticeably jumped in difficulty from 4-1 onwards. Enjoying it though and I still think it’s probably the best looking game I’ve ever played. Looks incredible on an OLED. 

Absolutely love what they've done with 5-1.  :wub: Its literallly oozing with atmosphere!

I also got completely lost in the tunnels of 2-2. Unless i'm after Dragonstone i never go down there - i always take the shortcut to Flamelurker.

My build is a carbon copy of my very first build from back in 2009: Moon Killij, Wooden Catalyst, Kris Blade and Heater Shield.

This game!