Demon's Souls - remake's OUT - mindful of the spoilers, please!

robdood

Guest JohnParry

It's definitely worth buying, you get plenty of play for your money even with the import prices. Don't expect it to be easy though, it doesn't lead you at all and you just learn by making mistakes.

Like Jashin said, it's worth having a read of the NTSC-uk thread as there's quite a bit of useful info on there now.

Well I got my copy from Ebay today and my 1st impressions are good. Game looks nice - a very coherent feeling world, bosses are huge and combat is simple but satisfying. Why this isn't being picked up for a western release though I don't know - surely Sony could be doing with some niche titles to tempt folk over.

Anyway if you are on the fence about this but like a good dungeon crawl style RPG then I'd say it's worth the gamble.

I started the game and finished 1-1 of this a few weeks ago but have been busy with personal stuff recently (and GTA Chinatown :( ) and went back to it last night.

Fuck me I forgot how hard it is :lol: Went onto 1-2 and was getting my arse handed to me and losing my souls. Never less than fun though and did get a few more items/levels out of it. No matter how many times I get killed I never find it less than enjoyable which is a pretty damn good achievement.

I'd say this has to be my fave game so far this year. I only bought a PS3 on a whim but this has confirmed my purchase as a wise one. It's possibly the most unforgiving game I've played in a long time but it's never unfair to you and the feeling of progression when you just scrape past a boss battle is epic.

It's a shame that so many people may miss out on it because it's not up for a release outside Asia - SONYLOL :lol:

Bloody hell this game is absolutely kicking my ass :huh: I did 1-1, tried 1-2 but keep getting killed by them horrible red phantoms on the bridge which the dragon fires flames across and then tried 2-1 and got my ass handed to me in that :lol:

Still enjoying it but damn it's going to take me forever to get anywhere!

Tooled on 2-2 while in a rush to retreive my own body and souls by the forking damned bloody asswipe exploding mine carts. Hot piss, 5000 souls down the drain and although it's only really 1 stat point it still stings like a motherbitch.

Don't believe in spoilers tags for most thing in this game - any help is gonna pay off!

Keep your shield UP! :huh:

This game def has a certain something, it's really sucking up my gaming hours. Didnt even mind when my PS3 stopped working and I had to start all over again on a new console.

Not sure if the designers are total geniuses or it's a complete accident tho, they have def been playing monster hunter with the energy bar, roll dodging, and crafting weapons, and at least this has a lock on.

FYI, I bought it from that seller. Took about a week to come by the cheapest postage option.

Strangely, I've just had an email from eBay saying he is no longer a registered member and that I'm entitled to a full refund should I want one. I had a dispatch email a few days ago so hopefully it is actually on its way. Bit worrying...

I look forward to your retracting of that statement if/when you play Demon's Souls - apart from the fact it's a 3rd person game in a medieval setting it's pretty much nothing like it. As for ebay prices I'd expect it'll stay around the £42 - £45 for a bit as there still seems to be a limited supply of the asian version at the moment.

Guest JohnParry
Trust me - play Demon's Souls like Beowulf and you will die, you'll then die again - and again and again....

To be fair, that's going to happen however the hell you play Demon's Souls! :unsure:

To be fair, that's going to happen however the hell you play Demon's Souls! :unsure:

Aye, very much so. It's all a part of learning the game though it never feels that cheap, you just have to learn the patterns and the way the enemies move etc. The traps in the game are bloody nasty though :lol:

Beat that Tower Knight last night, very satisfying though I just used arrows. Not exactly cool but it worked a treat :P

Tower Of Latria is also one of the creepiest things in a game for a looooooooooong time, superb atmosphere in the game overall though, absolutely love it.

I've spent around 30 hours in the game so far and have only beat 3 bosses of at least 20 or so :o Great game though, will probably be one of my favourites this year. Haven't played a dungeon crawler as fun as this for ages.

This has really opened up for me over the last few nights play, starting to gather some decent weapons now, def gets easier thank god. Prob done around half the bosses, think it's time to grind a little and upgrade my weaps.

And yeah Tower of Latria is horrible little noises the enemies make shits me up and the singing vendor put a shiver down my spine.

Co-op is funny, got invaded by a Black Phantom tonight managed to summon another player quickly to help me out, we started fighting him outside and he was about to do us both in when he fell of the edge of a cliff to his death, then I ended up dead about 30 seconds later to a gold skele, my skill just seem to go to shit as soon as someone enters my game :(

So, this arrived yesterday (and I nearly never got it since I had to go back to the post office to pick it up, and their mailman only returned with it minutes before closing).

Firstly, I was pleasantly surprised to find that it has a really cool story, which no one seems to be talking about. OK, it’s a little bit like Tolken meets Lovecraft, but it’s pulled off with great panache. Love the accents everyone has, very medieval. So yeah, I actually really like the story so far.

CONCLUSION AT THE START OF A LONG POST:

This is a manly man’s game. Not something for kids or grandmothers who own a Wii. It is the antithesis to the deluge of casual mindless wank that’s flooded the market. It is the cure to the plethora of games which are so easy and devoid of design-intelligence they might as well be exercises in masturbation, like when they hook electrodes up to a rat’s brain and he pushes a button to orgasm until he dies. Demon’s Souls, so far, is a proper game, with a clearly defined risk/reward system that requires skill, patience and intelligence to succeed. Not even lightning fast dexterity like say SFIV (at least not that I’ve seen yet), but rather a sharp understanding of when to attack, when to roll away and when to run like a motherfucker. And the levels are not simply corridors camouflaged as open areas – they are complex networks which, as others have said, show intelligent design. Not simply a funnelling affect so everyone ends up at the correct spot.

I don’t know if I’ll finish it. And I don’t know if it’s the best game of the year. But at the moment I love it more intensely than anything else (except Valkyria Chronicles).

Back to the game... I’ve not played a game this terrifying since Steel Battalion on the Xbox. This game isn’t difficult, it’s pure unbridled terror, because there are no-mid-level saves, and death has a more substantial impact than simply making you hit the quick-load button (wow, PC gaming has made me soft). Another God sums it up well.

At first I used magic a lot, with my Royal, since that could take enemies down in one hit. Then I thought: this is cheating. So I went in swinging my sword like a fool and died quite quickly. Lesson learned: don’t be afraid to hold back and spam them with projectile fire.

One of the scariest moments was when I found the dragon on the bridge in 1-1. I walked slowly along taking shots at those block the route, when suddenly a dragon appears and I’m like OHSHITMOTHERFUCKER!!! And run like hell to the cover of the stone entrance way. So, the dragon takes down most enemies and then leaves, and I think it’s safe. So I go back on to take out a few straggling soldiers near the end, and then I hear flapping. I look around and see nothing, and then suddenly the dragon IS RIGHT ON TOP OF ME. I stab the joystick like mad to disengage the stupid lock-on, turn tail and RUN RUN RUN like a madman desperately hoping I can outrun the flames. Which I do. So I think screw this, I’m taking an alternative route. Backtracking I take a right in the path and come to 2 dragons on a hill, touch a red blood stain and watch as one knight relives his last moments on that hill. I try going near and they start breathing fire, so I realise: one dragon is better than two. The thing is, I’ve got like 2000 souls now, and don’t want to die so far into the castle. Anyway, I see a message on a the floor and it says something like “Run straight through” near the bridge. Well, running across that bridge was the scariest moment I can recall in a long time. But I made it.

What makes DS so terrifying, is that every step you take, is potentially a step you will have to take again to recover your lost souls. If halfway through a level they made the enemies easier, or removed the enemies altogether, it wouldn’t make it any less scary, because you keep thinking that any second you might die. Places of sanctuary, like a merchant, are areas to savour. Otherwise the terror and adrenaline experience when walking along and finding even basic enemies, is almost enough to make you want to stop playing.

It does an excellent job showing you how softened we’ve all become with modern game design, where success and euphoria is almost intravenous, and as a result becomes diluted. Here, every achievement, every victory, is a triumph and the exhilaration is unparalleled. Finishing the first boss, I had a 30-minute come down period such was the adrenaline and endorphin rush. I’ve not had it that strong since beating Ninja Gaiden on the NES. I thought I’d pass out. Except, Demon’s Souls isn’t cheap, or that tough. I only died 3 times and recovered my souls each time, but when I was alive, I had something to struggle for. It wasn’t just moving from A-Z like other games, and when I found a message saying “I want to go home,” I rated it, because I really understood what he was saying.

The messages are a brilliant touch. They’re like a trail of candy and I found myself really excited when I saw a new one, even though the content is all pre-written. And to find one that warns of danger and is rated highly, now that is an experience in fear that is difficult to describe. You know the danger is there, but you almost don’t want to face it, and yet you must. There is something joyous about this, harking back to the playground days when children would swap tricks and tips and advice with each other. It’s a mechanic which cancels out the online FAQ, since they are only hints, not full explanations.

Though sadly I got a message in-game saying that From Software is only obliged to keep the servers running for 6 months. And they may decide to close them in September. The game would lose a great deal without those messages, and so it seems this is a game “of the times”, and if you’re not playing it now, you won’t get the same experience if you play it in a year’s time. Then again, they might not close the servers...

There’s kind of a hidden camaraderie, and I took great effort to place genuine messages, warning of ambushes and such like. Rating a message basically means you approve of it, right? I will admit though that in the Nexus (the safe hub world) I placed a message by a fatal cliff saying you should “jump here”. A little later I found a bloodstain there, and watching it I saw someone nervously go to the edge, then walk back and take a running jump. I vowed never to trick someone like that again. Though I did laugh.

It’s tough, but I only died three times in the run up to the first boss, when I tried to be macho and run in swords swinging to a fight, when I underestimated a particularly tough knight, and when I stood in front of some boulders held up by wooden planks and stupidly cut them down with my sword. Obviously they crushed me. The trick is to cut the wood standing from the side.

QUESTIONS:

How does saving work? I couldn’t find a save point last night so switched it off assuming the game autosaved after the first boss. I’ve not put it on since.

The game saves all the time - when you die, when you spend souls, when you open secret areas, when you defeat a boss so it's likely to be pretty much near where you are. It's what makes it so unforgiving as well as there is no opportunity to just power off the PS3 and go to the last good save.

Oh and rating messages for other people restores health for the other person - hence why you see the "This is harsh - Evaluate me" message all over.

Just beat the giant spider demon, thanks mainly to some helpful chap leaving a message pointing out where it was safe to stand!

Man, it's like being back at school and everyone's sharing tips with each other. ;)

I actually then found a better spot so left another message there. It should be easy now for anyone entering. If you're going to mine area, you'll be wanting the light crossbow and some bolts, or non-fire projectile magic.

Stupidly though I then went and wasted 5000 souls buying a miracle without a talisman to use it.

Just to say again, this is an astounding game, and not as difficult as some may lead you to believe. Every so often you'll permanently activate a shortcut in a level, making things much easier when you respawn. It also allows you to warp back to the nexus and convert those precious souls into levels or weapons, so they don't get lost.