Demon's Souls - remake's OUT - mindful of the spoilers, please!

robdood

4 hours ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

Any tips for 2-2 boss? 

Hide contents

Flamelurker

Too fast for me. He's like a Sekiro boss but I'm just some paper mage and no samurai. I've seen a few people do it on YouTube but they seem to all be melee builds and take less and do more damage.

I did 3-2 last night but headed back to the Nexus once I'd unlocked the final path. Gulp...

If you're a mage, you're a beast. There's three items that'll push you over the edge in terms of damage output though - 

Spoiler

the Kris knife (2-1, near spider boss), the Ring of Magical Sharpness (uh, in one of the iron maidens in 3-1 I think)and the headwear you get for killing a host as an intruder in world 3. I'm pretty sure it'll drag you to the right place, but you should appear where the 3-3 boss is - otherwise you'll have to do it again closer to the 3-3 archstone.

Those are very minor spoilers in my opinion, and you've already reached the areas where you can find them.

If you're a magic user you probably have access to Water Veil. Use that, it lessens the elemental damage you receive. You want to engage from a distance and time your shots, he can be rather nimble and dodge your attacks by accident/luck. Also, dodge backwards. His elemental aura is around his body, not his head.

Depending on your magic build you can deal out a decent amount of damage. So play is relatively safe from a distance (not too far, you want your magic to hit your target), keep your mana stacked, replenish Water Veil and cast Souls Arrow or whatever magic spell you have.

About his aggressiveness, it's a phase. When he's in that phase you might want to focus on dodging and keeping that distance.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, this is fantastic. I played it briefly on PS3 (from playing this version I think I’ve only seen 1-1, 1-2 and 4-1 before), but I could never get along with it. I’ve played the other games A LOT though, so I wasn’t sure what to expect. I feel a little sad that the Souls game I knew was out there unplayed is nearly over.

It is absolutely fantastic though. It’s probably the best looking game I’ve ever seen, and it’s lovely to play. It really feels like Bloodborne was more of d sequel to this than anything else. The areas are so similar to that game and so is the feel of the whole thing.

I like how weird it is. You can tell they’ve not settled into a formula yet and there’s some really experimental design choices. The levels are brilliant, though the bosses aren’t great. I think the only one I really enjoyed was Flamelurker. Most of the others were either a bit easy (Phalanx, Tower Knight, Penetrator, Armoured Spider, Fools Idol, Adjudicator, Old Hero, Leechmonger, Dirty Colossus) or they were the set piece bosses at the end of each level. In fairness I did quite like the set piece ones, but I’m sad that there weren’t more really tough Souls style bosses. Obviously there’s the Maneaters too, who are a weird balance between feeling like quite a good boss fight whilst clearly being a bit broken. 

I went and checked out Old King Allant earlier and shredded off three quarters of his health without much trouble so I let him kill me because I’m not ready to finish and didn’t expect him to be so easy. I know it’s probably the NG+6 experience from the other games but I’m a bit sad that there’s not more tough bosses. Maybe in later cycles they’ll be harder.

The areas are fantastic though, I love them. It’s a brilliant game and I’ve loved playing it. A fantastic first game to play on my PS5. I’m level 71 with a +9 Uchigatana, wearing the same clothes I found in the first few levels, holding the second shield I found. It’s been amazing exploring nee souls areas. 

• 1 month later...

I'm getting near the end of this and I wanted to know, is there a point of no return? I want to explore the soul tendency stuff, but can I finish the game and then return to a save before the last boss? Or does it autosave and make you go into new game + when you finish it? Cheers

55 minutes ago, Alan Stock said:

I'm getting near the end of this and I wanted to know, is there a point of no return? I want to explore the soul tendency stuff, but can I finish the game and then return to a save before the last boss? Or does it autosave and make you go into new game + when you finish it? Cheers

Spoiler

Killing the boss of 1-4 is effectively the point of no return due to events that happen. After that, not only do you have to finish the game but you also have to go to NG+ and kill Phalanx before you can level up/spend souls

Thanks, I haven't got that far yet, I did a bit of 1-4 but left as all clues were pointing it to be the endgame based on what characters were saying etc. Just cleared valley of defilement area 2 and I think the valley and the end of bolateria is the last stuff I need to do aside from soul tendancies etc.

Are there any hints in the game as to what turns a world tendancy white/black? I've come very close to full white on some places but not quite all the way. Do I need to become a helping phantom or something, or is it explained somewhere? Cheers

1 hour ago, Alan Stock said:

Thanks, I haven't got that far yet, I did a bit of 1-4 but left as all clues were pointing it to be the endgame based on what characters were saying etc. Just cleared valley of defilement area 2 and I think the valley and the end of bolateria is the last stuff I need to do aside from soul tendancies etc.

Are there any hints in the game as to what turns a world tendancy white/black? I've come very close to full white on some places but not quite all the way. Do I need to become a helping phantom or something, or is it explained somewhere? Cheers

It's not really explained in game. I'd go look it up elsewhere, but basically killing an area boss/Primordial demon shifts it towards white, dying in body form/Killing named NPCs shifts it towards black. It's a little more involved, but those are the main triggers.

It's been really nostalgic playing this on PS5.... though tbh I can only really remember certain bits of the original. Not sure how true a remake this is (whether they changed certain areas or not) but still, enjoying it :) Decided to go for a Holy Paladin style build, and everywhere's recommending the Istarelle Spear. Any other weapons worth getting? And is there one that isn't such a pain at the start of the game? Short of getting invaded a few times and them letting you kill them, feels like a mad grind for that one. This world tendancy stuff is pretty punishing.

Well I don't know about that spear but I have been rocking the Winged Spear for the whole game and its ended up being the best weapon for me despite upgrading a load of other ones. I got it very early on in world 1 I think, I can't recall whether it was a drop or just found it lying around. 

11 hours ago, Pandy said:

Short of getting invaded a few times and them letting you kill them, feels like a mad grind for that one. This world tendancy stuff is pretty punishing.

That's a separate tendency unless I'm remembering incorrectly. Killing invaders boosts your soul tendency towards white, not world tendency.

Winged spear can be picked up in 1-2, good starter spear. It's on the first fire drake run just before the first battlement you duck into. Might need a few tries to find it as the drake only really gives you time for one pickup unless you're feeling brave.

Spear was actually the very first weapon I completed it on PS3 with. Nowadays I usually go for Keel Smasher / Dragon Bone Smasher for melee or a magic build with Firestorm. DBS in particular can be picked up in about an hour and a half from the start and doesn't need any upgrades to wreck face, but it's heavy and needs a decent amount of strength.