IGNORED

Demon's Souls - remake's OUT - mindful of the spoilers, please!

robdood

Doing this from memory.

Spoiler

If a player drops a summon sign after the Maneater fight they can be summoned to play as the boss in the Ivory Tower. As soon as you - the target so to speak - starts to climb the stairs a typical "You are being invaded" message appears. That means you are now facing a player pretending to be the boss instead of the boss controlled by the computer.

Not sure of the servers are still very busy at this point, so if you did not get that "You are being invaded" you fought the boring computer-controlled boss. It sounds nice in theory, in reality there's always been a ton of lag making for unreliable combat. Not sure if you still can be summoned after you've killed the boss, so definitely give it a try in NG+ :) Drop the summon sign between the bonfire and the stairwell, wait, and hope for the best.

edit: Here's much more detailed info about the summoning. Spoiler for length.

Spoiler

Special Event (Online only)

-The Old Monk fight is not so much a battle with a boss as it is a test of your PVP ability. Ideally, you will be fighting a player Black Phantom that, depending on whether or not they are wearing a cling ring, might have higher health than usual. If a player cannot be found, you will instead do battle with an NPC Black Phantom with notable dodging capability and armed with claws.

- If you use a Blue Eye Stone, Red Eye Stone, or Black Eye Stone anywhere in the Tower of Latria, you may be summoned into another world as a Black Phantom. When summoned in this manner, you will be brought to the 3-3 Old Monk boss room and transformed into the Archdemon boss for the host player. You cannot leave this room and must wait for the host player to pass through the fog gate to do battle. Placing a Blue Eye Stone in an obscure location or using a Black Eye Stone before the 3-3 spiral staircase are common ways to force the Old Monk to summon you.

- Whatever the cause, the host's death will grant your body form back and, if you are lucky, the Monk's Head Collar. If you cause the host's death, your Character Tendency is reduced by one. If the host dies from anything else, you will receive the Monk's Head Collar with no Character Tendency change. Note that the host can also be invaded even if they're in Soul Form.

Notes on the Summoning Event

- When you are summoned to be the Old Monk, you will see the "You're being summoned" message followed by the "Moving to another world as a Black Phantom" message, regardless of whether you were summoned via the Black Eye Stone, Blue Eye Stone, or Red Eye Stone. You can use this unique message to tell whether you are invading as a Black Phantom/being summoned by a player or you are invading as the boss.
- The Monk's Head Collar seen on the Black Phantom player is merely cosmetic, i.e. They will retain the effect of whatever headgear they were previously wearing.

- If you are not wearing a Cling Ring in Soul Form before you get summoned, your HP will be reset to your max HP in Body Form. If you are wearing a Cling Ringbefore you get summoned, you'll notice your HP bar will be unusually high and you'll have additional HP. 1300 HP with Cling Ring and 900 HP without for instance.

- The host can cast Banish on the boss if the host is in body form and black phantom is an online player. If successful, the player black phantom will be sent to their world as usual and the npc boss will spawn with full health immediately.

Anyway, Flamelurker down! My strategy was:

Spoiler

Lure him into a ground-pound and roll backwards, outside the AOE, then roll forwards and hit him while he finishes his animation. 

That, and I got a bit lucky with some of his attacks swinging wildly into thin air, giving me some free hits. It was a war of attrition, but going in with my sword gripped firmly between both hands, and a ring that increases damage when below 30% health, I had the edge I needed to take that big mutha down.

Lets see what’s next…

OK, this next boss is just the worst. I hate the puzzle bosses in general, but this one I’m finding cheap in a couple of ways:

Spoiler

The game wants me to attack the walls to break them and clear a path for the first time - something that has never worked in the past, and only works on the debris on the right-hand path, not the left-hand one. I had to look this up, very lame. 

Also, I’m finding it hard to predict where the Dragon God is going to strike, and even harder to avoid the AOE, which seems to extend beyond the animated area. 

Kinda frustrating. 

If you can be bothered, after you're done start a fresh run as a Glass Cannon. You'll one shot some bosses with the right Boss Souls spell and most bosses take massive amounts of damage from magic. Biggest downside is you being a glass cannon so don't get hit.

So what's next for you? I presume you did all of the x-1 worlds?

@PopoYeah that's the absolute worst part of the game. Incredibly poor design that's lifted 100% from the original.

Couple of pointers:

Spoiler

- be naked so you're faster. Slim chance you can survive his hit anyway.

- when its eyes are red, it's alerted. Stay behind a pillar. Move when its head faces away from you (and eyes are yellow).

- use ranged to destroy the rubble. Anything ranged, from bow and arrow to magic. Even the shittiest bow and arrow is preferred over melee.

- if you do not have ranged, in the original I used a big shield that'd clear the rubble in 1 hit. I do not know if that is still doable.

- the Line of Sight mechanic is rather... clunky. Stand behind a pillar and hope for the best.

edit:

there's two cannons you need to trigger (impossible to miss) followed by a very basic third phase. The third phase can catch you off guard, so be a bit careful :) 

It's very poor, it is not you being bad.

2 hours ago, df0 said:

If you can be bothered, after you're done start a fresh run as a Glass Cannon. You'll one shot some bosses with the right Boss Souls spell and most bosses take massive amounts of damage from magic. Biggest downside is you being a glass cannon so don't get hit.

So what's next for you? I presume you did all of the x-1 worlds?

Just need to go back and finish 1-4, there are a couple of tough nut black phantoms guarding what I assume to be the last boss. 

I picked up a ring that does bonus damage on “optimal” hits - what are those? Parries and backstabs?

And done! I must say the fight against Old King Allant was pretty undemanding and felt like a bit of a let-down after some of the earlier challenges; perhaps it’s because I saw the credits roll on both Bloodborne and Dark Souls within the past 12 months, and because the fight was pretty trad, but I only died three times before he succumbed. The, er, black phantom just before was actually giving me more trouble until he mis-stepped and I won by default!

I chose to be naughty in the end. I’ve got a pretty penny to spend now in my NG+, is there anything I should be on the lookout to do or see second time around? I never found the item Stockpile Thomas was looking for!

Oh boy there’s a ton of hidden and obtuse stuff. One being Tendency which can be an absolute ball ache. Another one is new NPCs.

I highly recommend checking the wikis (fextralife for sure) and gather all info you can.

@PopoCan I ask, are you going for trophies? If yes you need to bother with the whole World and Character Tendency system and that's a whole complicated beast. In a nutshell: good deeds and no deaths align you towards White, bad deeds and dying align you towards Black. But there's many rules and even more exceptions.

So for now, let's ignore Tendency.

In NG+ I'd say:

- Item for Stockpile Thomas

in 1-1, in the first tower on the left you unlock from the other side are two corpses hanging from the outside. When descending the tower step onto the balcony and cut the chain. The item Thomas needs is on one of the corpses.

- Unlock characters

From memory you probably missed two (technically three) characters: Yuria and Yurt. The prior teaches you unique Magic, the latter has its own little storyline. The third one is Mephistopheles.

- Fight bosses you missed

You probably missed fighting Old King in 1-1. He's locked behind a gate that requires a key (can not remember where to obtain the key)

https://demonssouls.wiki.fextralife.com/Demons+Souls+Wiki

This has ALL the info you'll ever need. Once you're done with the first blind run it's time to blast the game wide open.

Most importantly: enjoy the NG+ run. Although enemies can still easily kill you, you are now much stronger and experienced. Go show em who's boss.

In a nutshell, the Tendency stuff is needlessly obtuse. Doing this from memory so there's a chance I'm misremembering.

- If you die in Human form you gain Black World Tendency.

- If you kill a boss you gain White Character Tendency.

- In Pure Black unique events are triggered which usually means a named Black Phantom that drops loot.

- In Pure White unique events are triggered which usually means alive NPCs that tell you stuff and give loot.

- And there's hidden "things" that trigger tendency.

If you go for Trophies you need to play around with the Tendency system and it'll involve calculations and guesswork. The game never tells you the exact amount you have, it'll show an icon and some are barely indistinguishable from each other. Are you 80% or 90% White? No clue, best travel to that specific point in a World and hope you are 90% so the event triggers. If not, lol now you can only do it in NG++. And you best not die or the Tendency shifts again. It's a mess and not worth it.

edit:

Just check the pages on the wiki and see if it makes sense :)

https://demonssouls.wiki.fextralife.com/World+Tendency

https://demonssouls.wiki.fextralife.com/Character+Tendency

• 1 month later...

I should probably stop playing this in the run-up to Elden Ring, because:

A). Its without a doubt the best looking game on PS5.

B). The character models are soooooo good! :wub:  I went back to DS3 on PC and laughed at the awkward fugliness of the character creator.

I love my main build oh-so-much! Pure Mage with 52 Magic and 52 Faith, which means the Talisman of Beasts out-performs the Insanity Catalyst (with none of the detriment).

Whenever i join other players games (my favourite drunked past time) i'm hitting nearly 800 damage with just a Soul Ray. Firestorm will 1-shot all of their bosses. Its jolly coop at its OP finest! :eyebrows:

My own game is past the plateau of NG+7 difficulty, but i keep speed-running through it just for shits & giggles. It helps that i know this game like the back of my hand. The quadruple Platinum was nice. But the remake trophies are a breeze compared to back in 2009.

Gonna have a final playthrough this evening, and say goodbye (for now). Elden Ring is so close i can almost taste it....