IGNORED

Demon's Souls - remake's OUT - mindful of the spoilers, please!

robdood

AND Leech-bossman. God damn you. God damn you and your regenerating health and my shitty little bow which doesn't do enough damage so I end up running down and getting smothered with leech pus and WHY THE FUCK AM I HEALING WITH CRESCENT GRASS THAT'S NO GOOD and oh look I didn't even get my feet on the floor.

:coffee: That sounds exactly like my first encounter with him, word for word.

I just gave up on trying to get a Friend's Ring (after I was told that I screwed that whole thing up at the start of the game) and got myself ready to finish off the playthrough. Damn me for reading people's accounts of how much of a let-down the final boss was - I entered the fight with a cocky swagger in my step, treating it far too nonchalantly. I should know better by now really. That fucker is MEAN.

I am? :coffee:

I'm talking about the

False King Allant, up at the top of the lift. Bastard's got some downright sneaky attacks.

So there's MORE after this guy?

Well, yes and no. He's not the one being said is disappointing, I think. He's a complete bastard though, right!

Am I right in thinking though that any effect which applies a 'smokey' glow to your character (hp regen, mp regen, increased stamina recovery are ones I've seen) will lessen the effect of 'sneaking' effects? So the Thief's ring won't allow you to get as close to a Crystal Gecko, as an example.

I came away from my first proper playtime with this a bit drained last night, in a good way.

Not since EQ has a game left me a bit of a nervous wreck. The combination of the harsh world and the corpse recovery system adds an edginess to the game that no other game for some time has matched. Other than the early MMO's maybe no other game creates this?

I started in as a Royal, as it felt fairly balanced and started from SL1. I've spread my souls fairly evenly so far, keeping all of the stats fairly close. My logic is that neglecting a stat will just mean a big investment later on if I need it higher. Was caught off guard initially by the fact that each stat doesn't have its own soul cost progression. I haven't really looked at armour and weapons much yet. I've upgraded a Winged Spear and Scimitar a bit but still in the starter armour. The upgrading is the one thing I'm unsure of. Should I spend the ore and souls to upgrade the bog standard weapons or wait?

I've finished 1-1, 1-2 and 2-1 with no real problems and the bosses, unfortunately so far, seem easily exploitable. It must be a pretty difficult task though creating them in this game. You need a balance between the solo player and summoning help.

2-2 was what I class as my first real level. Its an oppresive bugger and there is a real feeling, the further you go, that this is a one way ticket. After some hours exploring, clearing out the level and getting the crap frightened out of me by the lava bee's coming over the top of the cliff I reached the boss gate. Normally in a game you'll dive straight in and suck it and see but in this I didn't want to lose the 15,000 souls I'd amassed (which seemed a rich haul at my level).

I took the decision to leave this boss for now and try to find a way out with my haul of souls. Needless to say I died, from a fall I think. Considering the amount of falling involved to get to the bottom, I'm wondering if you can even get out again after you commit. It was a truly intense and edgy experience though and I love the patient gameplay that rewards in spades. Needless to say I'll be passing that boss gate tonight and hopefully find a shorter route down to it.

Yeah, 2-2's one of the levels in which you don't unlock a distinct shortcut by reaching a certain deep point into it, but rather it's designed from the get go with two separate paths to the boss's fog door. Specifically, in case you're interested,

you opt between left or right right at the very first junction (with the exploding mine cart). Left is the long route, right is much, much shorter but involves a long section of one-way, perilous platforming down to the bottom.

Good luck with the 2-2 boss, he can be a toughie.

I did try going right first off and had a couple of deaths by falling so ended up going left. Will persevere with the right side tonight.

My TV is as black as night so may bump up the brightness a fraction for that bit.

At first you'll fall a lot but, once you get the route sussed, its really easy. I suspect though that having a high dexterity stat helps as it boost your 'experience', which is the ability to er... take less damage falling :eyebrows:

Am I right in thinking though that any effect which applies a 'smokey' glow to your character (hp regen, mp regen, increased stamina recovery are ones I've seen) will lessen the effect of 'sneaking' effects? So the Thief's ring won't allow you to get as close to a Crystal Gecko, as an example.
You are correct. They will see you coming a mile off and run far far away. (i.e. your aggro range is far bigger and negates and thief ring effects completely).

Sorry, but that's simply not true.

The only item that negates the Thiefs Ring effect, is the (female only) Silver Bracelet.

We are of course only talking about enemies. Any invading BP's will be able to see your aura even if you're wearing the Thiefs Ring (same with the Graverobbers Ring).

:D

Sorry, but that's simply not true.

The only item that negates the Thiefs Ring effect, is the (female only) Silver Bracelet.

We are of course only talking about enemies. Any invading BP's will be able to see your aura even if you're wearing the Thiefs Ring (same with the Graverobbers Ring).

:D

Are you sure? I swear having the thief's ring on had no effect when I was healing or whatever. Well, I defer to your many many hours of experience.

You'll grab the necessary item after defeating your first NPC Black Phantom. I believe there's a pair of them in 2-2, and one tricky-dicky lass in 3-1. There's others scattered throughout, but they're the two which spring to mind.

As for getting invaded yourself, it becomes much more commonplace as you get higher in soul level. To the point where it can be pretty much incessant I found.

4-1 down, after three or four deaths. The skeleton enemies were pretty simple to take care of with the Blessed Mace, but that section with the golden trio and the flying barb-rays nearly sent me into a rage. There is nothing, *nothing* worse than locking onto an enemy, backing away while firing off a magic spell, only for the auto-lock to suddenly flip over to something flying through the Goddamn air, which means I'm now backing away off over the egde of a cliff, and good lord how my controller remained intact I'll never know.

But the thing that keeps me coming back (aside from everything stupendous about the game) is the fact that, more often then not, the levels are designed so that reaching the point where you died actually doesn't take very long at all. That bit in 4-1, I probably spent at least forty-five minutes at a slow pace, exploring everywhere before dying, but rushing through to that exact same spot in well under five. And then, well, you haven't lost anything, and that feeling of gained knowledge is satisfying to say the least.

2-2 though. Man, I geared myself up for a treachorous run through the level (pumping strength so I can gain the benefit from the purple shield, stockpiling health/spice)... except I summoned some guy right at the start, he lead me down the precarious mineshaft route on the right, we reach the boss, I summon *another* guy, and the three of us take care of business like it was nothing. Lamelurker, more like. YEAH.

Just forged the Meat Cleaver, which means more strength-pumping required. 2-3's on the cards next, I guess.

This game. :lol:

Duncan, I got mine from a site called Movietyme for £37.99 + £1.99 express delivery. Shipped on the tuesday/wednesday, arrived on the saturday. With the game's popularity / recent scarcity, I'm unsure whether it'll still be that same price. Try there and a site called videogamesplus.ca.

[EDIT: I was curious enough to take a look myself and yeah, they've bumped a few quid on to the asking price (£41.99 now). Linkachu.]

Lewis, I'd guess Alan's talking about the US version since I'm pretty sure that the artbook and soundtrack only came with that region's pre-orders.

Just got to say that this is just one of the best games i've played in years. It feels like a new type of game. not just a copy of a copy..

Sorry it was the US version, off ebay. Chap is selling them located in London.

Depending on the strike, maybe recieve it Saturday, even though I paid for next day ;)