Low Definition gaming

xtremeboat

Anyone else playing PS3 or Xbox 360 on a CRT TV? I'm new to this generation of consoles since Xmas so my 360's hooked up to my ancient 21" CRT TV (through RGB SCART of course). Nice screen though, looks great for gaming and streaming videos from my PC. My housemate has a gleaming LCD with his PS3 hooked into it which looks great, but when hes watching normal TV on it the picture is crap. Might have to take the plunge to HD soon

I know one forumite who played through fallout 3 on his 360...on something like a 14inch tv :P

*waves*

I got my Wii hooked up to a 32" Widescreen CRT (There was a 50" Plasma till it broke).

I got my 360 hooked up to a 14" TV/VCR combo

I got my Dreamcast hooked up to a 21" CRT

Reason is that the 360 isn't a home social console, where as the Wii typically sees 4 player game sessions so that earns right in the living room and the 360 is relegated to the office. (The DC is in the conservatory)

Anyone else playing PS3 or Xbox 360 on a CRT TV? I'm new to this generation of consoles since Xmas so my 360's hooked up to my ancient 21" CRT TV (through RGB SCART of course). Nice screen though, looks great for gaming and streaming videos from my PC. My housemate has a gleaming LCD with his PS3 hooked into it which looks great, but when hes watching normal TV on it the picture is crap. Might have to take the plunge to HD soon

360 and Wii look fine in SD.

PS3, on the other hand...

I'm playing Farcry2 and fallout on a shitty old 24-ish(?) inch tube telly.

I've only had my 360 a few days though, so I hope to move up to HD when I can borrow someones vehicle to move stuff around.

I have played Fallout on my brothers hd PS3 setup over xmas though. The difference is palpable, moreso in colour than sharpness, I'd say.

In both games the darks seem way too dark. Maybe the contrast is just fucked.

Farcry definitely needs hd to fulfil its graphical potential, imo. God only knows about the likes of gears 2 or dead space.

Things like BiA:HH have really fine textures, too. I'm sure I could see individual pores on their faces!

SD loses all that in the fuzz.

GTA IV looked better on my 14 inch CRT than my 23 inch widescreen computer monitor. Much better in fact.

EDIT: Just to expand on this a little bit, on my old TV I could see for ages into the distance and everything was crisp and clear. On my HDTV display I get massive, unnatural looking amounts of distance blur at 20m away. Really ruins it for me, no idea why it happens either.

Well I've got a nice 32 inch CRT that takes component, so I can display 570p with the PS3. Does that count?

I'm sure it doesn't compare to a pricey HD set-up, but it looks a lot better than the picture I've seen mates getting with their 360s through small HD monitors. It's also ideal for me as most of my gaming time is last-gen/retro, which obviously don't hold up well on a HD tv.

My 360 is currently hooked up to my 14" CRT TV.

I'm viewing this thread using a 17" CRT monitor.

Displays are the absolute last things I upgrade, my thinking being that there's not much point if it's still working, it's still doing its job.

Although I am possibly getting this for my birthday:

http://www.lambda-tek.com/componentshop/in...uid=0&go=go

For both PC and Xbox use.

All my consoles are running 480p on a TV in a bedroom and they still look great to me. I have hooked them up to the HDTV downstairs and in all honesty I couldn't see much difference, except for the wii which looks like dog vomit. I don't know if my eyes are broken but I can't see much difference on the Sky HD channels either *shrug*.

My Philips 8833 14" does an excellent job. My PS2, Xbox and DC looked magic on it, the 360 was briefly on there and it did look superb, albeit small and 4:3.

As nice as my 37" telly is, you can see movement blur and the colour is a bit cold, despite my tweaking.

One day they'll have flat-panel TVs that rival CRT in response time, viewing angle and colour quality, with all the added niceness that HD brings, but I fear we have a good few more years before I'll be chucking out the CRT. And I keep a 28" CRT just for older consoles, you have to really.

I agree. Modern HD TVs make most video footage look utterly dreadful. Pixelation and artefacting all over the place. :P

All hdtv's are crap if they aren't crt, its an inescapable fact.

Really extreme fighting, racing and FPS players won't give up CRT. The FW900 is worth good money on eBay.

Yeah I won't give mine up, the only downside is that it weighs so much and takes up so much space. I was really looking forward to playing games on my new sony bravia lcd but its horrendous compared to playing it on my fw900 which is nearly a decade old!

I'm sure that Sony FW900 is INCREDIBLE.

when I first got my X360, I used it on a Iiyama 19" CRT Monitor via VGA and it was SERIOUSLY fucking mind blowing :P

My HDTV sucks in comparision. I really miss it even though it was only 4:3. The picture was like nothing i had ever seen.

Playing Dead or Alive 4 and RR6 on the monitor was just incredible. I had never seen visuals that sharp.

uh-huh

I already called it earlier in the thread:

If you crt people were a cult, then Okotta would be the suicidal mentalist cult leader.

There's no reasoning with them! They only want to brainwash you, make you join them, forcing you to give up all your worldly HD possessions until you end up with this:

20090105-na7c6ndh3mdwb2xpfnxub9b2db.jpg

The horror :P