IGNORED

Low Definition gaming

xtremeboat

using all last gen (xbox1, gamecube and ps2) plus snes and dreamcast through rgb on my panasonic 28inch widescreen CRT.

Also using my 360 through the same tv and with an rgb cable looks nice :P

Im happy and dont see the need to upgrade yet.

CRT = :lol:

I have my 360 connected to a 14" crt bought in about 1998 and it's absolutely fine. Apart from when I want to read any of the menus or anything, in which case I pretty much have to press my eyeballs up against the screen in order to make out any of the text.

I played Dead Rising through three times on a 28" Loewe Xelos CRT, and it was just peachy.

However, playing it on a 37" Panasonic PX80 plasma, which cost under half the price, is like having a new pair of eyes.

I prefered crt pc monitors. I still get headaches from lcd displays - it never happened with bulky old crts. The picture was better too.

A top end LCD monitor can rival even the best of the old school CRT's (my old man used to run a print and design outfit so I have experienced quite a lot of them). My Dell 3008WFP is just as good as the top end iiyama I have sitting on my desk at work.

I'm playing all sorts on a 32-inch old widescreen CRT which occasionally makes patches of the screen blue or green just for shits and giggles. It's actually fine though, except for the occasional moment where a developers has written text too small to make out.

360 ... looks fine in SD.

Define "fine"

All hdtv's are crap if they aren't crt, its an inescapable fact.

Yeah I won't give mine up, the only downside is that it weighs so much and takes up so much space. I was really looking forward to playing games on my new sony bravia lcd but its horrendous compared to playing it on my fw900 which is nearly a decade old!

I told you get a fucking PLASMA.*

* I might not have, but I told lots of people.

CRTs are still nicer of course, but so few handle HD, progscan and they're WAAAY too big.

I have to admit, I have no intention of replacing my 28" Panasonic widescreen CRT any time soon, and the only reason I would ever do so would be to have a larger screen size. Having compared a decent CRT image next to HD image, nobody will ever persuade me that the difference is worth the hundreds of pounds extra that you'll pay for a decent HD set.

I know one forumite who played through fallout 3 on his 360...on something like a 14inch tv :)

that sounds like me lol

My 360 and PS3 are both hooked upto a 14" tv/vcr combi tv that works fine.

My Wii is hooked up to a 32"crt, but these hardly get touched, the 32" tv can't output 60hz so its a bit annoying for anything but rockband on the 360 really

I do have a VGA cable for the 360 so i can hook it up to my monitor or projector which isnt too bad. i've hooked the ps3 to the projector aswell from time to time which looks ok if you don't take the size up too big

Define "fine"

I told you get a fucking PLASMA.*

* I might not have, but I told lots of people.

CRTs are still nicer of course, but so few handle HD, progscan and they're WAAAY too big.

Really, 360 stuff looks just fine on a decent CRT. I was gutted when my CRT telly blew up. Never had none of the difficulty with reading Dead Rising text or anything. Everything was clear and crisp... for SD-quality.

Then you stick a PS3 on in SD and it's like playing on the original XBox with mushy, muted colours and soft edges.

God, I love fitting a LOL Sony into every post I can...

My 360 and Wii is hooked upto a very good Panasonic 32" CRT via component and I'm happy with it. The thing that's putting me off HD is not only will I have to buy the TV but also splash out on Sky HD and a new DVD player to make the most of it.

No doubt if I played games on a HD TV there would be no going back but for now I'm happy.

My 360 and Wii is hooked upto a very good Panasonic 32" CRT via component and I'm happy with it. The thing that's putting me off HD is not only will I have to buy the TV but also splash out on Sky HD and a new DVD player to make the most of it.

No doubt if I played games on a HD TV there would be no going back but for now I'm happy.

I'm with you on this. I'm playing my Wii and 360 on a 32" CRT in my back room, and it's fine. We have another on as our main TV, so that would be the first to get replaced, which would mean updates to Sky and Blu-Ray, I just can't justify upgrading at the moment.

My Wii looks tons better on that than my mates does on his HD telly though. His 360 looks fantastic, but overall, I'm happy playing on SD

my 360 and ps3 are both hooked up to a 36" widescreen sd tv, and have been for over a year now. both using rgb scart. they both look perfectly fine, the only slight problem is text on the psn store. the wii is connected to it with composite.

i was going to get a hd tv late last year, but had to spend all my money on a car.

My wii looks like dog vomit on my hdtv, but I'm running it through scart so it's outputting rubbish as well. Does anyone know if the component cables you can get, and the consequent increase in output resolution, make any actual difference? Or will it still be all jaggy and awful?

Of course it looks better. A LOT better.

My Wii on my HDTV looks pretty good, through component - obviously not as good as the 360 or the PS3, but still not "jaggy and awful"

If you want jaggy and awful try running a PS2 through a HDTV, even over component it's one of the most eyeball, curdling horror shows I've ever seen.