Low Definition gaming

xtremeboat

Look, we've been through this before.

Get a RGB cable for your PS3. That's it. Problem solved.

In fact, get the official Sony Euro Scart Cable (that's what they call their official RGB cable) when you use the PS3 on a CRT TV. I use it and playing the PS3 looks great here.

Do not get a S-Video cable though. Doesn't look as sharp or as good as a very good RGB cable.

Oh, and get a decent CRT TV to go with that fine RGB cable too.

Yes we HAVE been through this before and you don't ever listen.

The RGB video output of the PS3 is utter gash. It's NOT a case of assuming people who are disappointed by the video output are using composite cables.

It's a very soft image with LOTS of noise and dot crawl when using an official RGB lead on a good CRT.

I've been working in QA right up to last month. I've had sitting on my desk at work : 2 360's one hooked up to an HDTV via HDMI, the other one a good SD CRT via RGB Scart. And the EXACT same for the PS3, 2 PS3's one HDTV, one SD CRT.

Everyone constantly comments on the shitty SD video output of the PS3 it's fairly crap compared to the 360.

and for the last time the PAL PS3 ONLY OUTPUTS 50Hz in SD

The original Xbox looked good in RGB.

If you used the official RGB cable that is.

I miss the old Xbox. A fine console that was.

GameCube in RGB was pretty sweet also. I think it looked better and sharper than the Xbox did in RGB.

The Video out put of the original XBOX was dreadful. Probably the worst of any console. Even the Wii has a MUCH softer video output compared to the, frankly incredible image from the game cube.

It's a very soft image with LOTS of noise and dot crawl when using an official RGB lead on a good CRT.

What sort of CRT are you using?

I agree that the image from the PS3 is a little softer than that of the 360, but I honestly don't experience the problems you're having with it.

What I did see though was a big difference in the text quality when using the official S-Video cable instead of my RGB one. Using S-Video I had trouble reading some of the text in games, since it looked a little unclear. Going back to RGB the text problems disappeared and I honestly have no problems reading text with that cable. If the letters are very small - like on the PSN Store - I sometimes find it a little hard to read them clearly, but that's the only problems I've had.

what was wrong with the official Nintendo one (price aside)?

i know the early 3rd party ones were borked by Nintendo adding in some proprietary wizardry.

Probably had a NTSC console in which case he would have needed a modded component cable made into a scart one

The original Xbox looked good in RGB.

If you used the official RGB cable that is.

the official RGB cable was actually the worst of about 3 different RGB cables i tried, although none were particularly sharp or impressive after the DC, GC and PS2.

really poor show from MS with that one.

the official RGB cable was actually the worst of about 3 different RGB cables i tried, although none were particularly sharp or impressive after the DC, GC and PS2.

really poor show from MS with that one.

Blame Nvidia, not MS.

I'm hanging on to my spare 32" CRT for Rock Band, but everything else looks glorious on my 42" plasma.

Only last night I marvelled at the beauty of the Fallout3 wasteland in crisp HD.

Agree on the XBox RGB, it always looked crap, fussy with bleeding colours.

I told you get a fucking PLASMA.*

* I might not have, but I told lots of people.

You told me to get a plasma. I got the PX80 you recommended, even though I originally didn't want to spend that amount of money.

It's fucking awesome for HD and SD, and I'd recommend it to anyone else.

You told me to get a plasma. I got the PX80 you recommended, even though I originally didn't want to spend that amount of money.

It's fucking awesome for HD and SD, and I'd recommend it to anyone else.

He told me to get a plasma last year so I got the 42PV70 and I've never looked back since!