rllmuk
Stilly

Coffee

Nah she won't need a grinder, ready ground to start with will be fine. Mainly because I know it'd be me ending up grinding everything with a hand grinder and I'm already going a bit overboard as it is to justify an automatic one.

The most basic yet reasonable non-manual grinder would be at least double the price unless you can point me in the direction of one that isn't, and she won't need it yet anyway if ever. At the moment a milk jug would be more useful given we've got nothing particularly usable for that at all.

You can get perfectly good coffee from ground coffee. Anyway if you jump straight to grinding yourself you won't notice the improvement!

That's a very good price on that machine. Dunno what it's like but it's around £150 on Amazon so definitely a good deal.

As long as you drink it sharpish and don't leave it sitting about in a cupboard for months, the ground coffee from Hasbean is miles better than anything you're getting from a supermarket, whole beans or otherwise.

While it's very expensive to get a truly great Espresso machine, that lineup looks like its going to more than fit the bill for what you want :)

I used to manually grind and use an aeropress but I've got lazy lately as we get up fairly early up here in Aberdeenshire for my wife's commute, so last Autumn we invested in Delonghi Bean to Cup machine which is good, certainly quick and hassle free which is what you need early in the morning.

Favourite beans at the moment are;

Has Bean's "Jailbreak", quite citrusy and Bailies "Puccini Espresso" smoky, chocolaty.

Hasbean Jabberwocky is my go-to at the moment. Works regardless of what you make it in and a great all rounder.

By comparison this Illy coffee I'm drinking in work right now is swill.

I signed up for Pact for the £1 offer, the coffee was really nice. Fazenda something

How does it compare to the other online sellers, price wise? i thought £7 for 250g beans was a bit high, but I've been buying supermarket beans for a while now

£7 is average really. I used Pact for a bit but went back to this lot who are my favourite - http://volcanocoffeeworks.com/

Although to be honest I'm currently paying around £4 for Taylors and finding it pretty much just as good. Good enough to rather save the money anyway.

I signed up for Pact for the £1 offer, the coffee was really nice. Fazenda something

How does it compare to the other online sellers, price wise? i thought £7 for 250g beans was a bit high, but I've been buying supermarket beans for a while now

I know I just posted a £7 a bag coffee, but I normally pay around 4 before delivery.

I've had coffees from hasbean that also had unusual flavours mentioned in the descriptions and they totally matched up too. The best was one that really did taste just like milk chocolate kit kat. I also stupidly bought one that said it tasted of strawberry angel delight, it was totally accurate but unfortunately also not very nice as a coffee.

• Upvote 1

Soong how long did you wait for delivery from Volcano usually? They took aaaages sending mine - like so long first time they doubled my order size for free to say sorry (nice of them) but it still took almost a week from then to actually show up. I may need to plan better if I'm sticking with them.

Soong how long did you wait for delivery from Volcano usually? They took aaaages sending mine - like so long first time they doubled my order size for free to say sorry (nice of them) but it still took almost a week from then to actually show up. I may need to plan better if I'm sticking with them.

Dunno I've not had it posted - live around the corner from their offices so we get it from there. They have a coffee shop on site. Unsurprisingly I guess.

Ah, they're not really within range of me being arsed. There was I'm sure a coffee shop near my London office that sold 'em but they don't anymore. Balls.

After 10 months of trying to bond with a high end espresso machine I've gone back to a Nespresso this weekend, I'm just too lazy to grind, tamp and brew/froth etc.

I usually like a good bit of kitchen equipment but could never get over the hump of the effort of using this thing

If anybody wants a high end machine then maybe take a look in the trading folder.

I can't believe there was a thread all about coffee and no-one told me (Spuck). Massive coffee nerd here. I shall post my drivel at one point soon. :)

Work have just got some Nespresso machines for each floor of the open plan office, and I've picked up some CafePod pods for when I don't have time to do a proper Aeropress brew. It's really surprisingly good, with pleasant crema - far nicer than my previous experience with Tassimos. I like to half-fill the cup with hot water first, to make a long black.

Colour me surprised.

After 10 months of trying to bond with a high end espresso machine I've gone back to a Nespresso this weekend, I'm just too lazy to grind, tamp and brew/froth etc.

I usually like a good bit of kitchen equipment but could never get over the hump of the effort of using this thing

If anybody wants a high end machine then maybe take a look in the trading folder.

Man U crazy. I remember admiring that thing when you posted about getting it. Don't think I'm really close to affording it even at your sake price though, alas.

• Upvote 1

I can't believe there was a thread all about coffee and no-one told me (Spuck). Massive coffee nerd here. I shall post my drivel at one point soon. :)

Agh, my apologies! I'd kinda assumed you knew!

Was in York last week, went to a coffee shop - pretty sure it was called the Attic - and got an espresso. As someone who tends to drink good quality french press and filter coffee, but only chain espressos for a caffeine dunt, it was revelatory, light years ahead of any espresso I've had in a long time.

That's above Harlequins, run by the same people. They're a HasBean house, and I think HasBean even do a custom blend for them. Good coffee, but food can be hit and miss in the Attic bit.

Spring Espresso down on Walmgate does the best coffee in York, but you feel underdressed if you don't have a large beard, braces, sleeve tats and a thumb ring.

• Upvote 1

Hello all! Haven't read through the rest of the thread particularly thoroughly but just thought I'd post about my setup and coffee likes and stuff. I live in Bristol and there's a decent speciality coffee scene here. A good few shops in Full Court Press, Small Street, Didn't You Do Well and some more. Plus there are a couple of roasters here too; Extract, Clifton Coffee, Little & Long, Roasted Rituals and more. It's a good scene and very friendly.

My own setup is Aeropress and Clever Dripper for filter and a Rancilio Silvia espresso machine and Rancilio Rocky grinder. I've fallen out of use of the espresso machine recently mainly due to having a seven week old baby and minimal time to play around with shots and micro foam. I'll get back on board with it when I have the time. I mainly use the Aeropress for making my filter at the moment. I tend to be really into one method at a time, normally when I get good results out of a new recipe, so fluctuate between the two. At the moment I'm getting good results out of 14g coffee, 200g water, 1 min brew time in the non-inverted Aeropress. It's a much shorter drink than the 240 / 250g / longer brew time recipes but I'm enjoying the more intense taste I'm getting out of it at present.

The last couple of things I've been drinking have been an Ethiopian Washed and a Kenyan Washed both from Has Bean. Up next is the Huila (Colombian) Washed from Square Mile. This year has been the year that I've finally 'got' Ethiopian and Kenyan coffees. Beforehand I mostly found the former too flowery and wacky but I'm pretty sure that was because I was mostly trying Naturals which I'm not a fan of and the latter had a sort of vegetable taste to them that I couldn't get on board with at all.

But I was lucky enough to try and good handful of both that really turned me around to the stage that I'm pretty much looking for those two origins all the time. That said, I'm on various coffee roasters' websites all the time and if something sounds really good or interesting then I'll be all over it.

Anyway, that's about it for now. :) Cheers.

• Upvote 3

That's above Harlequins, run by the same people. They're a HasBean house, and I think HasBean even do a custom blend for them. Good coffee, but food can be hit and miss in the Attic bit.

Spring Espresso down on Walmgate does the best coffee in York, but you feel underdressed if you don't have a large beard, braces, sleeve tats and a thumb ring.

Whereabouts on Walmgate is it? The website doesn't actually mention the address anywhere as far as I can see.

Bizarrely, I've never tried Harlequins, despite having been in the Caffe Nero next door about a dozen times. I'll give it a try next time I'm in town.