IGNORED

Coffee

Stilly

Shizzle!!! My bialetti handle literally snapped off last night.

I'm gonna take it back to a costa but as I have no box or reciept I'm not holding out any hope. It still works fine but it's nor the same :unsure:

you can pick up replacement handles in europe for a euro or two. there must be somewhere online where you can get one. will be cheaper than getting a whole new machine...

EDIT: try here

Hey , thanks man. The pricture doesn't show any metal though to connect to the top of the bialetti - the actual metal snapped, the handle is intact. I will try to email then to find out if the metal is actually on the replacement handle....

Actually looking at google this morning it seems this is a common problem....

Hey , thanks man. The pricture doesn't show any metal though to connect to the top of the bialetti - the actual metal snapped, the handle is intact. I will try to email then to find out if the metal is actually on the replacement handle....

Actually looking at google this morning it seems this is a common problem....

ah, crap. i don't think it contains the metal. from what i remember (when i left mine on the stove and melted the handle off :wub: ) i pushed a pin out of the way, inserted new handle and the pin held it in place.

think you might be out of luck if it's the metal. unless you always want to use an oven glove :unsure:

ah, crap. i don't think it contains the metal. from what i remember (when i left mine on the stove and melted the handle off :wub: ) i pushed a pin out of the way, inserted new handle and the pin held it in place.

think you might be out of luck if it's the metal. unless you always want to use an oven glove :unsure:

Aye. Thats exactly what I did today :(

I was surprised at how gutted I was actually - it felt like a bad break as I did it :( Reading around though it surprised me how common it is - I'm very careful with this kinda thing and so don't feel I was being too heavy handed. Dunno if unscrewing it soon after using it if it's still hot has an impact ???

Will pop to Costa now and try my luck......

So, got it sorted. Super Glue FTW!!! lol. I got a email back but no, the handle doesn't come with the metal joiner (Just the pin). Hope its ok for a bit tho...

I also wanted to give a shout out to a new blend I'm into. From our friends at the evil empire Starbucks, it's a Organic mix (Only one they have) but I can't recall the name. It is DELIGHTFUL though - through my Bialetti it give a gorgeous, smooth taste and is not bitter in the slightest. Hmmmmm. I've recently ordered two new bags from hasbean ;

Brazil Fazenda Cachoeira Canario 2008-2009

Has Bean Premium Espresso Blend

and they're still closed. The Starbucks mix is that good ;)

• 7 months later...
We got this little bad boy for Christmas; http://tinyurl.com/8lsuru. Unfortunately, I am a total addict, I think it started when worked really long hours at Gap as a manager, and I've still got the addiction now!

The machine we got is fantastic as it grinds coffee beans and then puts them into the filter; it also has a programmable timer so that you can set it to start brewing in the morning just before you get up.

The only problem we're having at the moment is finding somewhere with a large selection of coffee beans on sale.

I just got one of those yesterday, it's ace!

We get our beans from Costco. You've got to be a member, but they have a great range for proper cheapsies.

Anyone used the ESE pods you can get for espresso machines? My nespresso's broken ( :( ) and I've been thinking about maybe replacing it with something like this: De'longhi Machine.

It takes either proper coffee or ese pods, which seems like the best of both worlds. My wife can use pods and I can play at being a pro coffee drinker and grind my own. :D

Will it be good though? Needs a nice thick crema layer...

It really depends on the type of bean, the type of roast, the type of grind and how strong you have it. So there's a fair few variables.

What coffee are you drinking, how strong is it and how are you making it?

Normally I go for really strong, dark roast cafetiere coffee such as this. It's not very complex, but it does give a big, bold flavour. One of my favourite coffees is the New Guinea Peaberry, which has much more subtle complex flavours, but I find is best much weaker than I'd normally drink coffee.

But I'm not really a coffee buff, so I'm sure there are people here who'd know better than me. (And will probably tell me I'm wrong, which is fair enough.)

I might get into coffee more, actually. I've just become a father, so sleep's pretty scarce, and the foul Nescafe instant stuff we have at work is really starting to get to me.

It really depends on the type of bean, the type of roast, the type of grind and how strong you have it. So there's a fair few variables.

What coffee are you drinking, how strong is it and how are you making it?

Normally I go for really strong, dark roast cafetiere coffee such as this. It's not very complex, but it does give a big, bold flavour. One of my favourite coffees is the New Guinea Peaberry, which has much more subtle complex flavours, but I find is best much weaker than I'd normally drink coffee.

But I'm not really a coffee buff, so I'm sure there are people here who'd know better than me. (And will probably tell me I'm wrong, which is fair enough.)

I might get into coffee more, actually. I've just become a father, so sleep's pretty scarce, and the foul Nescafe instant stuff we have at work is really starting to get to me.

Congratulations on the fatherhood front; it was about when we had Isabella that I really started hitting the coffee bigtime...

I have a question for the thread regulars of a potentially blasphemous nature. I drink proper coffee at home, and in the office, but am after a good instant for those times when I am in a rush or too damn lazy to clean out the cafetiere afterwards. Does anybody have any recommendations for drinkable instants? I usually end up grabbing whatever Fairtrade one I can get but they are never particularly great. Is there one out there that actually tastes nice?

I like Douwe Egberts Continental Dark, or Continental Gold if I can't get any Dark. Which, on checking their website, seem to have been renamed to Pure Indulgence (but unlike WickedKitten, I have it without milk) and Pure Gold respectively.

I can still buy it with the old name in Tescos though.

Shizzle!!! My bialetti handle literally snapped off last night.

I'm gonna take it back to a costa but as I have no box or reciept I'm not holding out any hope. It still works fine but it's nor the same :)

These Bialetti espresso makers. I quite fancy one but don't drink espresso. Do you use them to make a latte or whatever? I was wondering if I need a one or three shot maker, it's for me to make one largish cup of strong coffee at a time. If I find that three shots is too much can you make two shots from a three shot machine? And are they easy to use? I gather it's just a case of learning to sweep it off the heat before it boils.

EDIT: Oh yeah. How often do you need to change filters and what not?

I like Douwe Egberts Continental Dark, or Continental Gold if I can't get any Dark. Which, on checking their website, seem to have been renamed to Pure Indulgence (but unlike WickedKitten, I have it without milk) and Pure Gold respectively.

I can still buy it with the old name in Tescos though.

Another vote for the Douwe Egberts Gold. As far as instant goes, its pretty good.

Sorry for being so late to the thread; this is more of a response to the OP than a continuation of latter discussions (again, apologies)...

I looked for a previous thread on coffee but couldn't find one so here's a newy.

Basically, I want to know what you think of coffee you take out or the stuff you make up yourself. Do you need a daily fix? Which're your favourite places to drink? Why?

In the last few years we've seen a huge number of Starbucks and more recently Neros and Costas hitting every high street. I personally don't like SB much because the coffee is often burnt. Costa makes a nice cuppa that tastes just right imo, but then I've never tasted 'real' coffee I guess. Know anywhere better in the UK for a good coffee? How about making your own?

Overrrr to you..

I used to drink coffee because I enjoyed the odd cup now and then, but when I started my office job I habitually poured a mug out even when I didn't really need any. I was drinking for the sake of it every day and as a result I didn't really appreciate it that much. Initially I stopped drinking the stuff altogether as a means to get over it, but now I just drink on occasion, like when guests are about, or when I'm out with friends and we need someplace to sit and talk, or on a Saturday morning when I've just done a load of shopping and need to settle down for a moment. As for where I go, when I'm out by myself on weekends I just have the odd espresso from Costa, which tastes nice enough. Starbucks was frequented by old croaky people last time I looked so I skipped it... having said that, I remember when I was studying and went out between lessons, a friend approached me with a gingerbread latte during one particularly bitter winter day and it hit the spot quite well, even though I'm not a latte sort.

• 1 month later...

I finally got my arse to Monmouth Coffee at the weekend, after being told for ages it serves the best coffee in london.

Queue out of the door just to get a double espresso, but totally worth it, absolutely goddamned amazing. tiny place, and smells pretty strongly of lots and lots of fresh roast coffee, totally recommend going there at leasty once, and ruining high street coffee for yourself.

• 2 months later...
These Bialetti espresso makers. I quite fancy one but don't drink espresso. Do you use them to make a latte or whatever? I was wondering if I need a one or three shot maker, it's for me to make one largish cup of strong coffee at a time. If I find that three shots is too much can you make two shots from a three shot machine? And are they easy to use? I gather it's just a case of learning to sweep it off the heat before it boils.

EDIT: Oh yeah. How often do you need to change filters and what not?

Hi all, I have been toying with the idea of getting a coffee machine with milk steamer to make latte's, but like the sound of these Bialetti's as they are also a lot cheaper. Can anyone answer the questions above? I would like to know the answers too.

I realise you're not gonna get the latte action without the steamed milk, but could you knock out an espresso shot and just add warm milk to it? the purists may hate it, but I don't like black coffee :)

I've been thrashing my poor little Bialetti the last few months. It's just a two-shot expresso size, but I usually use it to make latte-esque concoctions. I find it's a very satisfying little ritual using it.

As for milk, I just stick a mug in the microwave with the amount of milk I feel like. Nuke it for 1-2mins and after taking out, keep it moving to prevent a nasty skin forming. Maybe even stir it up a bit harder to get a light froth going on the top. Improvised and a bit sketchy, but I haven't had anything much better from a coffee shop since making my own.

Though I do need to step up to getting my own beans to grind and all that.