I've got a bag of beans at the moment that I just can't seem to get a decent brew out of using my aeropress. Extraction seems ok but it just doesn't taste very good. I've tried the same stuff in my V60 and it tastes wonderful. It's a bit confusing.

The black Wilfa Svart (the good one) is out of stock absolutely everywhere. Our friends have said the newer Wilfa Uniform is better but at £250+ it seems quite pricy. My limit was £200 for a grinder. 

11 minutes ago, Monkeyspill said:

The black Wilfa Svart (the good one) is out of stock absolutely everywhere. Our friends have said the newer Wilfa Uniform is better but at £250+ it seems quite pricy. My limit was £200 for a grinder. 

Seems to be in stock at origin. £105 and a bag of coffee. 

https://www.origincoffee.co.uk/collections/grinders/products/wilfa-svart-aroma-grinder

• 2 weeks later...

8F1BD9F6-DE52-4622-B77F-351837F01238.thumb.jpeg.0701320f2930318e35839825c75c7dbd.jpeg

It’s much more even with the Wilfa grinder. But I’m not sure about the coarseness. I’m not sure what it should be for V60 but I’ve got it set halfway between the Filter and Aeropress settings. The “Filter“ setting seemed a bit coarse, while the “Aeropress” setting took quite a long time to filter, leaving sludgy cement-like dregs.

I’m still getting some flaky lighter coloured bits at the top, but I think that’s the coffee we’re using. And maybe from swirling too much at the end. This was an Origin coffee (San Fermin, Colombia). Previously we were using Square Mile “Muchagara” (Kenya), which I think was a lot nicer.

The white bits are just chaff from middle of the beans, most is removed after roasting but you always get a little remaining. You can also get more depending on the type of bean.

Play around with the grind settings little by little making sure to use the same amount of coffee and water at as close to the same temperature as possible. There isn't a perfect answer for the right grind because it'll come down to your own taste.

I’m away at the moment and have been enjoying some terrible brews with my Aeropress Go and KitchenProp hand grinder. 

Each cup tastes muddy and somehow both over and under extracted. Which is odd, because the grind doesn’t look horrendous before I brew it. 

• 5 weeks later...
On 23/07/2020 at 15:01, Monkeyspill said:

I’m not sure what it should be for V60 but I’ve got it set halfway between the Filter and Aeropress settings.

Make a little diary... It'll take a few days to get it to the right setting.... 

You basically want to keep going finer and finer with each cup until your coffee is too strong and bitter. Basically when you get bitterness, you're pretty much at max extraction*. Assuming you're doing the other steps right. 

Bitterness is probably not what you want so basically you then start going coarser and coarser until you hit the perfect extraction without bitterness. 

But all that said there's no right and wrong there's just what you prefer. But I think it's important to ignore whatever the grinder tells you is right for your kit (they're good as starting points obviously) and try and be methodical to get what you like. 

I thought I had mine right but after some weeks I felt like I wasn't quite getting the kick or thickness so I adjusted it in. That's something I love about my Wilfa, there's something like 60 notches and it's nice and easy to go up or down as your mood changes and remember where. My last grinder just had meaningless notches. 

* this is what the chap at Square Mile told me. 

James Hoffmann is bringing back the World's Largest Coffee Tasting. £7 gets you 5 specialty coffees (30g of each) to cup with him on a livestream at 3PM UK in October, I think.

I bought the coffees last year but it was the day after I moved house, so it fell by the wayside. Am keen to give it a go this year.

My wife treated me to a Sage barista express a few months back, which is great if unpredictable - it's quite sensitive to the age of the beans and you could go through quite a lot until you found the right settings. Some brands are fine and others are very hard to get the right extraction out of, luckily we've got a local coffee place that roast their own beans and have found the best extraction set up for them.

• 2 weeks later...

My friend bought the Sage Barista touch and at the same time I opted for the Sage Bambino plus.  I already had a sage grinder so figured I didn't need more than the bambino.  

The bambino produces infinitely better coffee than the barista, despite lots of tinkering with the settings on the Barista.

My trusty Barista Express gives me no trouble at all and produces wonderful coffee. Maybe I have low standards! Either way, it's been an excellent investment. Seemed pretty damn expensive at the time but now, five problem-free years and who knows how many cups later, not so much.

And if nothing else, all the extra practice during lockdown has upped my coffee game significantly...

Spoiler

20200913_145539.thumb.jpg.08ec1e90ca0dcf0c77cbb7a5d2875ec5.jpg

Where is a good place to buy coffee these days online.  I have been a long time Pact user but their deliveries started to get unpredictable.  

I've bought 1KG bags of beans from The Wholesale Coffee Co, which is very reasonable.  But I'm wondering if I am missing a trick?

5 hours ago, Poppalarge said:

Where is a good place to buy coffee these days online.  I have been a long time Pact user but their deliveries started to get unpredictable.  

I've bought 1KG bags of beans from The Wholesale Coffee Co, which is very reasonable.  But I'm wondering if I am missing a trick?

I've used these two sites for years

https://www.coffeereal.co.uk/

https://www.hasbean.co.uk/

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone got any recommendations for a cheap filter coffee? Doesn't matter if it's a blend, so long as it's decent. I prefer medium roasts. 

£8 per 250g is getting a bit pricey, as much as I like Pact, and Origin have stopped their 20% off.

I did the World’s Largest Coffee Tasting with James Hoffmann today. It was absolutely brilliant. I wasn’t quite sure what to expect but I had a blast and learnt so much about coffee.

The 5 coffee bags aren’t named so you taste them all and then James walks you through some comparisons and then explains a little bit about each one.

There were two washed coffees, one with a citrus acidity, one with a jammy acidity, a very floral Ethiopian coffee, a natural process which was extremely fermenty and quite tough for me to handle and then a good quality robusta, almost as a palette cleanser. It’s amazing how different the robusta tastes - it smelt and tasted really earthy to me.

I learnt a huge amount about the kinds of coffees I like and what flavour notes, which I’ve found mostly meaningless until now, might mean. 

If anyone likes varying their coffee a lot, I’d seriously recommend giving it a go the next time he holds one.

26 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

I did the World’s Largest Coffee Tasting with James Hoffmann today. It was absolutely brilliant. I wasn’t quite sure what to expect but I had a blast and learnt so much about coffee.

The 5 coffee bags aren’t named so you taste them all and then James walks you through some comparisons and then explains a little bit about each one.

There were two washed coffees, one with a citrus acidity, one with a jammy acidity, a very floral Ethiopian coffee, a natural process which was extremely fermenty and quite tough for me to handle and then a good quality robusta, almost as a palette cleanser. It’s amazing how different the robusta tastes - it smelt and tasted really earthy to me.

I learnt a huge amount about the kinds of coffees I like and what flavour notes, which I’ve found mostly meaningless until now, might mean. 

If anyone likes varying their coffee a lot, I’d seriously recommend giving it a go the next time he holds one.

I wanted to take part today but my wife insisted we go out for a meal for my birthday instead

19 minutes ago, Hawklord said:

I wanted to take part today but my wife insisted we go out for a meal for my birthday instead

I hope I haven’t spoiled the coffees for you! The video is up on his YouTube, so well worth tasting along with him.

5 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

I hope I haven’t spoiled the coffees for you! The video is up on his YouTube, so well worth tasting along with him.

Nah, you haven't spoiled. I knew when he announced the date that I wouldn't be able to take part so will be watching the vid in the next few days

• 5 weeks later...

Hi there coffee experts. 

Now I’m in full wfh mode I want to level up my very average morning coffee experience which is currently Taylor’s Lazy Sunday and a cheap old cafetière. 

I don’t think we have the mojo to go for a grinder atm, so what can I do to step up a bit?

I just have my coffee black, the wife just a splash of milk. Oh and I don’t want to get a pod machine of any type. 

Cheers. 

25 minutes ago, Dr Nookie said:

Hi there coffee experts. 

Now I’m in full wfh mode I want to level up my very average morning coffee experience which is currently Taylor’s Lazy Sunday and a cheap old cafetière. 

I don’t think we have the mojo to go for a grinder atm, so what can I do to step up a bit?

I just have my coffee black, the wife just a splash of milk. Oh and I don’t want to get a pod machine of any type. 

Cheers. 

What's your budget and is the grinder issue a budget or not wanting to sit there grinding coffee?

5 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

What's your budget and is the grinder issue a budget or not wanting to sit there grinding coffee?

Hadn’t really thought about it but say 30 or 40 quid. Grinding is the bother side tbh. I haven’t got a clue if it would be a million times better or what beans I’d then get or where.  
Pretend your selling 4K to the wife and we’ve got a 15 year old plasma or something. 

30 minutes ago, Dr Nookie said:

Hi there coffee experts. 

Cheers. 

The cheapest way to get into it, but perhaps the most finicky to get good results would be a simple V60 or Chemex (the Bodum version of a Chemex, which has a re-usable filter is on sale here )

You'll get a brighter, cleaner cup with pour over than with cafetière - but if you want to just carry on using the cafetière you could use James Hoffmans method which I find gives me the best results - what he does is just bloom for a minute, then brew the coffee for 4 minutes as usual but wait for all the grains to settle and pour without plunging - it keeps all the sludge and particles out of your cup.

Either way you brew the things you should look to get right are good quality coffee (Has Bean are a good go to, but I get my coffee from Coffe Gems) and then get your ratio correct. Pop your cafetière on the scales, weigh out the coffee and then weight out the water too. 20g coffee to 350g water is a good place to start.

You'll want to experiment with which coffee you like - I tend to prefer the light roasted natural coffees with fruit notes, but you might prefer the more hazlenut or chocolate roasts.

I think the most important bits are the coffee (garbage in, garbage out applies) and the grind. An uneven grind gives you big and small bits of coffee which extract and different rates, so you get a very inconsistent cup of coffee with too much bitterness and acidity.

You can either buy a decent grinder (£80-£100 for an electric one), or buy preground. This will go stale as quickly as whatever you're using for your cafetiere, so might not be the end of the world.

As Gaz mentions, how you then brew it is largely up to you, and consistency is key there. You can get a well extracted coffee out of pretty much anything. It's just making sure you know what you're doing (how much coffee, how much water, how long), so you can do it again and tweak it accordingly.

1 hour ago, Dr Nookie said:

Thanks all - that’s useful feedback. 
So really, if I’m sticking with pre ground, is it all much of a muchness, or is there something I can do hardware wise I can do to improve things?

Aeropress. Under £30 and it's actually difficult to make a bad cup of coffee with one.

20g of coffee, brew for a minute and then press it into your cup (inverted method is most popular but be careful). This will make an espresso like concentrated brew that you can top up with hot water for an americano (or use warm milk). Downside is you can only really make 1 cup at a time.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AeroPress-82R08-Coffee-Maker-Tote/dp/B0018RY8H0

Works fine with pre-ground but either way, start getting decent coffee first. 

Has Bean as mentioned above or Coffee Real or any other decent coffee supplier will send you pre-ground that has been freshly roasted and way better than pretty much anything in a supermarket.

I use an Aeropress and highly recommend it. I think if you’re using preground, it’s probably better than a V60 because your only real variable is time - use the same amount of water, coffee and the same grind size, and just vary how long you brew. With a V60, it’s very difficult to change the brew time without changing the grind size. 

I’d also recommend a kitchen scale to weigh your coffee and how much water you add. I just use a cheap salter one. 

If you like, I can give you my referral code for Pact coffee. They’ll give us both £5 off. Even if you don’t stick with them, I think it’s worth doing as you won’t get a bag of specialty coffee for £2.95 from anywhere. You can cancel after the first bat and try the other roadsters mentioned. They used to do a non-referral deal where they would give you a free V60 rather than the money off, but I can’t seem to find that at the moment.