Coffee

Stilly

On 09/10/2021 at 15:44, Thor said:

Back in the spring a guy I work with pointed me to a local roaster I had no idea existed. I've been using their Italian espresso beans for a while now, and while I tried going back to others, nothing really compares.

They're based out of a little cafe in Swansea called The Kardomah, which apparently was a big franchise all over the UK from the early 1900s to around the 1960s, but this is now the only one left. :)

I believe the Kardomah was a favourite haunt of Dylan Thomas. 

I recommend Coaltown Coffee, based in Ammanford.  The coffee shop is really nice, they also roast the beans on site, so perfect if you want some fresh stuff.  Its lovely coffee.  https://www.coaltowncoffee.co.uk/pages/index

On 10/10/2021 at 19:55, LaveDisco said:

Falling into an espresso set up. I've seen the hype for the Niche, and I see I can order a black one for November from the website. I would prefer a white one. How long might I be waiting?

Just had an email to say new stock tomorrow at 6pm. 🙂

The Niche is a brilliant little machine, I think it's beyond the hype territory now as is established for several years and all you see on coffee YouTube is people pitting it time and time again up against the newcomers trying to take its crown or vastly more expensive machines.

It's a lot of money but we've been using it multiple times a day for months now and its such a nice well designed thing to use - so much so it came on holiday with us the other week as we had to get our daily coffees in. It's an awful lot of money but we're definitely getting value out of it.

I kept seeing how good it was meant to be for espresso grind too as only been using it at the coarser end of things for my clever, so just had one of these funky Robot things arrive, only tried a couple of shots so far but it's a thing of beauty from a design/build perspective.

baristawhite.jpg?v=1605371150

On 11/10/2021 at 20:41, HarryBizzle said:

Just had an email to say new stock tomorrow at 6pm. 🙂

You just cost me a lot of money! Just snagged a white one for December. Will have to get by on preground coffee until then (first world problems). 

Thanks so much!

If you like a bit of provenance with your foodstuffs then these guys are great

https://www.jamaicacoffeetrading.co.uk/whole-beans

I've only had Blue Mountain coffee once or twice and never ground myself and thru my preferred dripper method - I suspect it's an exercise in scarcity rather than 'best' which is what drives the price, but these guys offer a small 125g for a price that whilst steep at £12.50 is still not bad for Blue Mountain compared to others. 

They seem quite legit with official ties to the Coffee Industry Board in Jamaica, and with my 125g order I received no less than 3 bits of paper proving authenticity, which seemed a bit OTT but nice all the same. 

Looking forward to trying this now

Blue Mountain coffee is really nice, best way to describe it I feel is that it's somehow quite old fashioned tasting, it's a delicious cup of 'coffee' tasting coffee, there are no weird or funky notes of mangosteen or leather, it just tastes like really great smooth full bodied coffee. 

That said we've been paying about £8-9 for a 250g bag of our preferred stuff, so not sure at prices starting from £12.50 for 125g its worth the extra money, you're paying a lot  for that old school badge of quality and scarcity.

Delicious stuff though and well worth trying a small bag if you're curious, we'll get 7-8 cups out of 125g putting it around the £1.50 a cup mark, I used to pay £2.50-£3 a day for the swill served in Pret/Costa.

The Pact advent just arrived and it's going to be quite hard to resist it until Dec as it looks brilliant, 25 different sachets of pre-ground (boo to that but I get why they have to do it that way) coffee, each with a little description and tasting notes.

Screenshot_20_10_2021__13_26.thumb.jpg.9fdbcac8629e83641badfb4fbf4a2681.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Ok I’m back in this thread thanks to Mr Nookie who just bought me an espressoworks machine complete with its own grinder. 
So knowing nothing beyond Taylors whatever strength pre ground, I want to get myself some good quality pre ground first to see what’s what and then experiment with the bean after that. 
Any firm steers on what I should try?  Only have 2 cups a day max and just looking for some rich and mellow rather than strong. 

Re grinding your beans, do you just do say a few days worth and store them? Surely you don’t grind every time you want a cup do you?  You’re all screaming ‘YES’ aren’t you….

1 hour ago, milko said:

@Dr Nookiethis built in grinder is electric, right? Yeah just grind what you need at the time, it doesn’t take long at all. Same as what happens when you buy a coffee in a coffee shop. 

It is yes - I’m just trying to save on mess and bother. 

• 3 weeks later...

This could go in the things that make you feel like a fanny thread but...accidentally bought some green beans instead of roasted. 

Had a bit of a brainwave, done some googling and decided to experiment by roasting my own using my Air Fryer!

Spoiler

1.thumb.jpg.d07752b08da19bc36f281d7d1d0f8737.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.52cd6c900bd369268413a1c0de642e47.jpg

After 5 mins @ 200C

3.thumb.jpg.c7d970970be9df0ccca3e48fd5520591.jpg

Another 5 mins

4.thumb.jpg.19c6773bc673cd03e23b68ae59d6eb5d.jpg

Cooling them down

5.thumb.jpg.27833c2cd25c13dac8f9568d6a85e2e0.jpg

I know you're supposed to let them sit for a day or 2 to let the CO2 out but I decided to make a brew

6.thumb.jpg.a03675fa4e63b82b0b69eef6706f6c69.jpg

Spoiler

That was erm, different. Not the worst coffee I've tried but certainly not the best. Grinder wasn't happy and struggled to get through them so I don't think they were roasted long enough. Although they were "washed", they tasted very fruity and funky like a Natural Process bean and also very sweet.

I've got 500g of them so I'll try another batch but roasted longer. Problem is that my Air Fryer only goes to 200C and they recommend around 220C

I felt like splashing out for some xmas season coffee and bought another bag of the Blue Mountain I tried the other week (links above), it was so delicious and just so 'coffee' that I kept wanting more after my 125g taster bag had gone. I also went for a bag of their more expensive slower roast beans to see if I can taste the difference.

Going to be a good December with the coffee advent calendar sat waiting to go.

Pact’s lineup is looking a bit stale. They’ve got a couple of new coffees in but nothing particularly to my liking, so I won’t be having them again. I think I’m going to pause my sub over Christmas and try Squaremile’s filter blend and maybe a Natural coffee from either Newground or Origin. 

14 hours ago, RadgyAdgy said:

Might depend how much you drink / want to pay but for me Dark Arts have consistently been the best roastery I've purchased from over the last 3 years.

Any recommendations? I think I can just about get over the Buffy references and DRINK COFFEE DROP ACID cringe to order something.

As much as the names grate, the same coffee in washed, natural and honey is something I'm definitely interested in trying.

I found that Dark Arts site a massive turn off but maybe it's not aimed at me - I find the trendy edge of the 3rd wave coffee world a bit try hard and pretentious (but it's not out of line with any other artisan products I guess).

I got a xmas blend thru today from a new one to me called Northern Star, somebody on the UK coffee forum recommended them. Nice shape bags for what it's worth.

Seen lots of reports of failed crops and incoming massive price rises for beans - guessing an £8-10 bag now will be a few quid more expensive very soon. Already had one I buy from up prices recently (Spiller & Tait, who remain my favourite).

Yep, they are mega cringey which put me off at first but they absolutely know what they're doing in terms of selecting and roasting.

In terms of recommendations it's hard to say as they don't tend to keep the same coffees around for very long. The best coffee I've ever tasted was one of theirs which was a natural from Papua New Guinea, so if you ever see that pop up again buy buy buy. Also, if you sign up to their e-mails they fairly frequently have discount / free postage days.

I've definitely noticed prices going up across multiple roasteries which I guess is to be expected in the current economic climate. Also noticed some places are shifting to 200g bags rather than 250g.